Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG III

maxgamestate

Is anyone else sick and TIRED of ALL the sports news people talking about RG III

I thought they were bad about lebron, but comon i want to throw up every time

they say something now it's total OVERLOAD. When did the media make him the

messiah of football.I know im not the only one, what say you............... 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is trying not to make a big deal about himself. That is what I like about him. As really the guy seems to be a really nice guy. And has a level head. Despite all that is coming at him! Really seems to be a classy kind of guy!

Oh, absolutely. It's not him, it's the media.

Is anyone else sick and TIRED of ALL the sports news people talking about RG III

I thought they were bad about lebron, but comon i want to throw up every time

they say something now it's total OVERLOAD. When did the media make him the

messiah of football.I know im not the only one, what say you............... 

You're sick and tired of hearing about him but you make a thread about him? Alright.

Guest TeamLoloJones

ROTYs and rookies in general who have superb first seasons are often talked about by the media. This isn't new.

Yes...look at Cam 2 years ago.  And then they turned on him pretty quick.  I really wish ESPN and NFL network just went back to giving us the news instead of these lists, and power rankings, and "is Joe Flacco elite" nonsense.

Yes...look at Cam 2 years ago.  And then they turned on him pretty quick.  I really wish ESPN and NFL network just went back to giving us the news instead of these lists, and power rankings, and "is Joe Flacco elite" nonsense.

Yeah, but they seem to thrive off of rankings and lists because they love to say,  " Oh, I was right about-" and so forth. Same thing goes for Draft gurus when they make outrageous statements about certain players. And if things don't pan out then the comments are hardly ever revisited lol. The media likes to throw around the word elite whenever someone new wins the SB but even the common fan knows that there are only four elite QBs in the league at this point.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, but they seem to thrive off of rankings and lists because they love to say,  " Oh, I was right about-" and so forth. Same thing goes for Draft gurus when they make outrageous statements about certain players. And if things don't pan out then the comments are hardly ever revisited lol. The media likes to throw around the word elite whenever someone new wins the SB but even the common fan knows that there are only four elite QBs in the league at this point.

I just wish the elite concept was thrown away.  Can't we just get back to calling someone a Franchise Quaterback?  Who cares if you're "elite".  All I care about is "does my team need a new QB or can we build around this guy."  

I just wish the elite concept was thrown away.  Can't we just get back to calling someone a Franchise Quaterback?  Who cares if you're "elite".  All I care about is "does my team need a new QB or can we build around this guy."  

Yeah, but it's hard to not notice who is the best among each position. Elite is the word that fits best to describe those players.

RGIII has done nothing but impress me. I said Luck was the only qb I would have felt ok letting Manning go for but I honestly think I made a mistake. RGIII as a man and as a player has been absolutely amazing and the Redskins are lucky. He does get a TON of pub but he is the reigning ROTY....and rightfully so as he would have been an easy pick for me too. I'm not sour we have Luck but it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine RGIII in a Colts uniform and not smile too! I think long term Lucks body will last longer but RGIII is equally as impressive for me.....add to the fact he is in a HUGE market and we play in a small midwest market...no doubt RGIII is going to get more pub. Besides he has a more interesting story..coming back from injury and all....his style of play is pretty exciting...honestly what is there to report on about Luck?? It would be a boring story to tell and wouldn't get much viewership...that said I don't mind flying under the radar at all...and letting Luck get groomed in the shadows and not have every mistake or poor play maginfied...has to be easier on him....imagine another scenerio with RGIII not existing....Luck replacing a legend like PM and having every little thing picked apart...this is only good for us and Luck he is out of the spot light.

RGIII has done nothing but impress me. I said Luck was the only qb I would have felt ok letting Manning go for but I honestly think I made a mistake. RGIII as a man and as a player has been absolutely amazing and the Redskins are lucky. He does get a TON of pub but he is the reigning ROTY....and rightfully so as he would have been an easy pick for me too. I'm not sour we have Luck but it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine RGIII in a Colts uniform and not smile too! I think long term Lucks body will last longer but RGIII is equally as impressive for me.....add to the fact he is in a HUGE market and we play in a small midwest market...no doubt RGIII is going to get more pub. Besides he has a more interesting story..coming back from injury and all....his style of play is pretty exciting...honestly what is there to report on about Luck?? It would be a boring story to tell and wouldn't get much viewership...that said I don't mind flying under the radar at all...and letting Luck get groomed in the shadows and not have every mistake or poor play maginfied...has to be easier on him....imagine another scenerio with RGIII not existing....Luck replacing a legend like PM and having every little thing picked apart...this is only good for us and Luck he is out of the spot light.

One would have to admit the media lays it on pretty thick when it comes to Griffin. ESPN had a long article calling him " the voice of a generation" lol.....based on what? Scooby Doo socks, a hair band, and that cool arm/glove thingy he wears?

One would have to admit the media lays it on pretty thick when it comes to Griffin. ESPN had a long article calling him " the voice of a generation" lol.....based on what? Scooby Doo socks, a hair band, and that cool arm/glove thingy he wears?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Indeed...they also lay it on pretty thick for ANYONE that gives them ratings. That said why does RGIII generate ratings that he does??? Perhaps because he represents what they said?? lol...just playing devils advocate. I do agree however, the media plays a major role in shaping peoples opinions of things. That said....I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with RGIII being a face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom have been over the years because everything I've seen about the guy, read about him...points to a fine young man with a TON of talent.

This is my take. RG is the perfect storm for the media. He is an African American that is a republican. He has two parents. He is not only well-spoken, he is magnetic. His play is electric as he combines perfect athleticism with very good pocket presence and accuracy. He has a knack already it seems for playing well in the moment, e.g. T-giving against Cowboys, leading his team to playoffs after starting 3-6. He is tough as nails, a fierce competitor and perhaps the trump card - he plays in D.C. often referred to as chocolate city by Stephen A. Smith. They love him there. He perfectly represents that city and what many aspire to be in terms of athletics and as a person.

So the question really should be why isn't he covered more?

Indeed...they also lay it on pretty thick for ANYONE that gives them ratings. That said why does RGIII generate ratings that he does??? Perhaps because he represents what they said?? lol...just playing devils advocate. I do agree however, the media plays a major role in shaping peoples opinions of things. That said....I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM with RGIII being a face of the NFL as Peyton and Tom have been over the years because everything I've seen about the guy, read about him...points to a fine young man with a TON of talent.

Represents what they said? What does that mean?

And when it comes to ratings, the Redskins only had one game (the #1 game) in the top 30, and that was the thanksgiving game vs the cowboys.

I think we kind of have short man's disease here in Indy. We do typically get over-looked when it comes to coverage because of the much bigger markets like NY, BOS, WAS, LA, DAL etc... I could care less...but some get a little bent out of shape if their favorite star or athlete or team isn't the one getting bragged or talked about. I understand it...but its a bit childish imo. Back in the late 80's my favorite basketball player was Dominique Wilkens. For years I was upset at all the pub Jordan got (even though the human highlight film got plenty himself) about his athleticism and dunking etc....and the dunk contests...ahh..I couldn't watch them I felt it was so biased. Then as I got older I realized the Jordan was just far far far more popular...and of course he was getting the pub etc because he generated ratings...had way more followers. When I figured out that the media darling is always going to be closely tied to a popularity contest well...just like in other rhelms i dare not speak of...i realized it was pointless to worry about it. What that allowed me to do was root for the under dog...have a different opinion in a conversation and basically made my view points unique in a debate of who is the best or what not. For every 10 boring Jordan or Tom Brady responses I was able to offer my DW or Dan Marino response. People took the time to listen and it made for interesting conversation. 

My point....who cares...why are people so insecure or worried about the media...just enjoy your own views and realize if you disagree it will make your point more unique....not wrong.

Represents what they said? What does that mean?

And when it comes to ratings, the Redskins only had one game (the #1 game) in the top 30, and that was the thanksgiving game vs the cowboys.

I have many young kids I reach out to...and RGIII has a lot of the same fashion sense they have and plays with a grace and athleticism that is appealing to them. Of course being an african american and an all-around good guy can make a role model for youths. He represents the youthful culture in general...not just african americans but youth overall with his style and how he plays. It is unique and we know how much the kids LOVE neon shoes and bright clothes..the socks...I'm in my mid-30's and I don't get it but these kids white and black both eat it up....so..yeah..he kind of represents the new age...and perhaps ushering in a new crop of viewers and gives them someone they recognize and cheer for. His jersey wasn't selling like hot cakes for no reason now was it.

I have many young kids I reach out to...and RGIII has a lot of the same fashion sense they have and plays with a grace and athleticism that is appealing to them. Of course being an african american and an all-around good guy can make a role model for youths. He represents the youthful culture in general...not just african americans but youth overall with his style and how he plays. It is unique and we know how much the kids LOVE neon shoes and bright clothes..the socks...I'm in my mid-30's and I don't get it but these kids white and black both eat it up....so..yeah..he kind of represents the new age...and perhaps ushering in a new crop of viewers and gives them someone they recognize and cheer for. His jersey wasn't selling like hot cakes for no reason now was it.

Ok, but that didn't really answer my question.

I get that he is popular, especially with the kids, but some of the coverage by reporters in their 40's is kind of embarrassing. Then again, I don't get what makes Kobe more interesting than Tim Duncan....other than his style of play. So maybe it's just me lol

I think we kind of have short man's disease here in Indy. We do typically get over-looked when it comes to coverage because of the much bigger markets like NY, BOS, WAS, LA, DAL etc... I could care less...but some get a little bent out of shape if their favorite star or athlete or team isn't the one getting bragged or talked about. I understand it...but its a bit childish imo. Back in the late 80's my favorite basketball player was Dominique Wilkens. For years I was upset at all the pub Jordan got (even though the human highlight film got plenty himself) about his athleticism and dunking etc....and the dunk contests...ahh..I couldn't watch them I felt it was so biased. Then as I got older I realized the Jordan was just far far far more popular...and of course he was getting the pub etc because he generated ratings...had way more followers. When I figured out that the media darling is always going to be closely tied to a popularity contest well...just like in other rhelms i dare not speak of...i realized it was pointless to worry about it. What that allowed me to do was root for the under dog...have a different opinion in a conversation and basically made my view points unique in a debate of who is the best or what not. For every 10 boring Jordan or Tom Brady responses I was able to offer my DW or Dan Marino response. People took the time to listen and it made for interesting conversation.

My point....who cares...why are people so insecure or worried about the media...just enjoy your own views and realize if you disagree it will make your point more unique....not wrong.

Who was bent out of shape other than the OP? Frankly, i'm glad Luck somewhat flies under the radar....one of the benefits of playing in a small market.

And Jordan got far more attention because he was 10x the player Dominique ever thought about being...you left that part out.

RG3 is SO typical of today's youth.    He is being set down by DR. James Andrews, and the Washington Redskins coaching staff.  And he gets on the podium and is crying to play.    Really RG.   He is feeling threatened by Kirk C.

Didn't dude CRY to get back in the game that got him a bum knee last playoff season?   This dude has an ego the size of TEXAS.

And I am sure Kirk C is making him feel a little...         antsy?

I cannot stand this kid.    He is all ME,.......... He has a very long way to go IMO.   True leaders EARN it the hard way.     Not by talk'n to the media every chance he gets.

Whatever...  Indy got the right one.

RG3 is SO typical of today's youth.    He is being set down by DR. James Andrews, and the Washington Redskins coaching staff.  And he gets on the podium and is crying to play.    Really RG.   He is feeling threatened by Kirk C.

Didn't dude CRY to get back in the game that got him a bum knee last playoff season?   This dude has an ego the size of TEXAS.

I cannot stand this kid.    He is all ME,.......... He has a very long way to go IMO.   True leaders EARN it the hard way.     Not by talk'n to the media every chance he gets.

So you're saying it's a sin for an athlete to want to play the game he is being paid to play. An athlete who has been cleared for contact and who is well on the way to come back and play week one. His eagerness to return to the field has nothing to do with Cousins. No one in their right mind actually believes he will become the starter over Griffin, no matter how well he plays in Griffin's absence.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I can careless, he ain't my quarterback and we don't play them this year

Arguably the greatest post in history of posts. Ever.

Normally I like your posts John but this is crazy talk. I get that Luck and RG will always be compared but I think Mr. Luck has an ego of his own too. And if he was in RGs position he would be itching to get back as well. This is no way compromises his leadership. In fact, I think it enhances it as no teammate wants a sally for a QB. And everyone loves a competitor. It usually ignites the whole team.

I do agree about Cousins however. While I don't think RGs job is in any jeopardy (yet) if he is unable to go for a few games and Counsins looks good in those outings then Shanny will have a dilemma. And we all know that Shanny has no issue sitting his starting QBs ..

I think we kind of have short man's disease here in Indy. We do typically get over-looked when it comes to coverage because of the much bigger markets like NY, BOS, WAS, LA, DAL etc... I could care less...but some get a little bent out of shape if their favorite star or athlete or team isn't the one getting bragged or talked about. I understand it...but its a bit childish imo. Back in the late 80's my favorite basketball player was Dominique Wilkens. For years I was upset at all the pub Jordan got (even though the human highlight film got plenty himself) about his athleticism and dunking etc....and the dunk contests...ahh..I couldn't watch them I felt it was so biased. Then as I got older I realized the Jordan was just far far far more popular...and of course he was getting the pub etc because he generated ratings...had way more followers. When I figured out that the media darling is always going to be closely tied to a popularity contest well...just like in other rhelms i dare not speak of...i realized it was pointless to worry about it. What that allowed me to do was root for the under dog...have a different opinion in a conversation and basically made my view points unique in a debate of who is the best or what not. For every 10 boring Jordan or Tom Brady responses I was able to offer my DW or Dan Marino response. People took the time to listen and it made for interesting conversation. 

I am pretty sure Manning was and still is one of the most covered sports athletes of ALL time. What gives?

The good thing about news and television is, you can always change the channel or hit the mute button.  Yeah, the kid gets a lot of coverage for a myriad of reasons.  But the bottom line is, he has a large fan base, the media knows it and panders to it.  I'm glad that RGIII gets way more coverage than Luck.  I'd rather have a guy spend that extra time with a playbook or watching film than a guy who wants to do another commercial or interview. 

The good thing about news and television is, you can always change the channel or hit the mute button.  Yeah, the kid gets a lot of coverage for a myriad of reasons.  But the bottom line is, he has a large fan base, the media knows it and panders to it.  I'm glad that RGIII gets way more coverage than Luck.  I'd rather have a guy spend that extra time with a playbook or watching film than a guy who wants to do another commercial or interview. 

I guess doing all those commercials really hurt RG and his ROY compaign last year. lol. This idea that a player who is media savvy is somehow not putting in the effort in the film room or with the play book is laughable. Most don't do any commericals during the season anyways.

I guess doing all those commercials really hurt RG and his ROY compaign last year. lol. This idea that a player who is media savvy is somehow not putting in the effort in the film room or with the play book is laughable. Most don't do any commericals during the season anyways.

I'm not suggesting that means your not putting in enough effort.  Merely suggesting that I'd rather have a guy with the mentality that he'd rather better his game than do commercials.  That's it.

I'm not suggesting that means your not putting in enough effort.  Merely suggesting that I'd rather have a guy with the mentality that he'd rather better his game than do commercials.  That's it.

Sure, I get you but my larger point was the one does not necessarily equal the other. I mean Rodgers, Brady and Manning (actually both Mannings) do a ton of ads and they are some of the best QBs in the game with great work ethic. I think great players know how to separate the two and know when it is time for football and when they have time for other things. I see RG being able to manage it as he did just fine last year. Also, I would imagine Luck will be doing his fair share of TV time given his celebrity status and the media's penchant for comparing him to RG. Heck, I could see the two of them doing a commerical together.

just FYI, with the lone exception of his brief statement this past Tuesday where he took no questions, all of his press conferences are team/league mandated. They allow the media open access to him once per week and it is attended by everyone and their grandma. It could be a lot worse.

This forum ought to be fun later this month when that ESPN documentary comes out on RG3. ;)

Sure, I get you but my larger point was the one does not necessarily equal the other. I mean Rodgers, Brady and Manning (actually both Mannings) do a ton of ads and they are some of the best QBs in the game with great work ethic. I think great players know how to separate the two and know when it is time for football and when they have time for other things. I see RG being able to manage it as he did just fine last year. Also, I would imagine Luck will be doing his fair share of TV time given his celebrity status and the media's penchant for comparing him to RG. Heck, I could see the two of them doing a commerical together.

Well sure, there's a time and place for everything.  There's nothing wrong with doing commercials.  I guess with RGIII, I'd rather see the guy wait until he's at least established himself.  RGIII was doing all sorts of commercials before even stepping foot on an NFL field.  For whatever reason, right or wrong, that irks me.

Well sure, there's a time and place for everything.  There's nothing wrong with doing commercials.  I guess with RGIII, I'd rather see the guy wait until he's at least established himself.  RGIII was doing all sorts of commercials before even stepping foot on an NFL field.  For whatever reason, right or wrong, that irks me.

Now you really lost me. Griffin was one of the best QBs in history of Baylor football AND won the Heismann his senior year beating out the highly touted Luck. And he followed that up by only winning ROY last year and leading his team back from 3-6 record to 7 straight wins and the division title.

Normally I like your posts John but this is crazy talk. I get that Luck and RG will always be compared but I think Mr. Luck has an ego of his own too. And if he was in RGs position he would be itching to get back as well. This is no way compromises his leadership. In fact, I think it enhances it as no teammate wants a sally for a QB. And everyone loves a competitor. It usually ignites the whole team.

I do agree about Cousins however. While I don't think RGs job is in any jeopardy (yet) if he is unable to go for a few games and Counsins looks good in those outings then Shanny will have a dilemma. And we all know that Shanny has no issue sitting his starting QBs ..

I'm positive Andrew wouldn't be going to the media undermining the head coach and front office.

Now you really lost me. Griffin was one of the best QBs in history of Baylor football AND won the Heismann his senior year beating out the highly touted Luck. And he followed that up by only winning ROY last year and leading his team back from 3-6 record to 7 straight wins and the division title.

I said BEFORE he ever stepped on an NFL field.  Not after everything he did in the NFL.  And again, right or wrong, it irks me.  Don't know why and I don't expect you to understand it because I don't even really understand it.  It just does and I'm not losing any sleep over it regardless of who understands.  Not villifying him.  He's a good young QB wiht a bright future.