Fleener Out With Concusion

McGrit

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sure doesn't look to me like the concussion came from the fumble play.  Go to the 45 second mark:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000229015/Pre-Week-1-Bills-vs-Colts-highlights

Right after his head hits the turf he snaps back around to try to find the ball.  He obviously realizes that he can't get to it from where he is, but those kinds or reflexes aren't typical of someone who has just suffered a concussion.

Has anyone with knowledge even definitively said that the concussion happened during the game?

Sounds like maybe a delayed onset. I agree he didn't act like he had one at the time. It certainly wasn't what caused the fumble, lack of ball security did. I don't think they did any work after the game so it would have had to have happened Sunday i would think. I remember George Hill from the Pacers had a similar situation this year where he finished a game and then like 2 days later had concussion symptoms.

Hope he is ok. I said in another thread maybe  the "fleener" thread that he has not, even in college looked as if he properly prepares to take on tacklers. on the play he fumble sunday it looked like he turned to run passed the guy like he expected the guy was not gonna hit him. even last year many times he got tackled... when he played it looked like his legs were getting caught under him.  would like to hear more on what happened.

Him missing time last year contributed to him not being up to snuff with the nuances of the offense thus leading to low playing time.

Granted, Pep's offense is more familiar than Arians' offense to him but timing and chemistry can only get better with increased practice and playing time.

Hope he gets better soon for the sake of the Colts. Otherwise, it would be a case of Gonzo or Collie, with a shortage of the best ability i.e. availability. We have been there before, haven't we?

I imagine GQ wanted him to hold the football in that pic. However, he kept dropping it so they just decided to have him sit on the ball...or whatever he's doing in that pose.

seriously tho... the outfit is bad but you are right, sitting on the ball looks just plain stupid LOL

he clearly never had a concussion.  he was simply butt hurt over dropping such an easy TD pass and fumbling on the other play that he invented the concussion like symptoms to try to explain away his horrendous play on the field.  we should cut him immediately.

heavy-sarcasim.jpg

he clearly never had a concussion.  he was simply butt hurt over dropping such an easy TD pass and fumbling on the other play that he invented the concussion like symptoms to try to explain away his horrendous play on the field.  we should cut him immediately.

heavy-sarcasim.jpg

Do you work for rotoworld?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7418/coby-fleener

"Fleener suffered the injury just three days ago, so it's astounding he's already back. The quick return suggests he may not have been concussed in the first place"

Oh nevermind, i see that you were kidding ;)

It sure doesn't look to me like the concussion came from the fumble play.  Go to the 45 second mark:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000229015/Pre-Week-1-Bills-vs-Colts-highlights

Right after his head hits the turf he snaps back around to try to find the ball.  He obviously realizes that he can't get to it from where he is, but those kinds of reflexes aren't typical of someone who has just suffered a concussion.

Has anyone with knowledge even definitively said that the concussion happened during the game?

Have you ever had a concussion?  I have had 3.  One that knocked me out.  The other two, i got up and kept doing what i was doing.  One was running routes, and the other was packing my parachute.  It wasnt til several minutes later that i didnt remember what i had been doing for those past minutes.  You can still function during a concussion.  Its not like the super serious Collie Concussions that we have all seen that straight stiffen you up. 

You should also think of Mitchell Schwartz. In hindsight though tight end was a need and all the circumstances lured us to take the combine all-star and Lucks former teammate.

I hated it at the time that nobody drafted him before us, but I wasn't surprised. He has potential but well see how far that carries him.

You should also think of Mitchell Schwartz. In hindsight though tight end was a need and all the circumstances lured us to take the combine all-star and Lucks former teammate.

I hated it at the time that nobody drafted him before us, but I wasn't surprised. He has potential but well see how far that carries him.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know there is nothing that can be done, but everytime I think of Fleener I think of Chris Givens. Instead of Fleener 2, we could have went Allen 2, Hilton 3, and Givens end of round 3.

It's making me hate Fleener.

If you would have said trade back the #2 pick and get Casey Heyward, another pick say a 4th or 5th, and then draft allen and hilton I'd be on board, but I wouldn't trade Fleener for Givens.  Seriously. Ever. Even if you asked nicely.

I know there is nothing that can be done, but everytime I think of Fleener I think of Chris Givens. Instead of Fleener 2, we could have went Allen 2, Hilton 3, and Givens end of round 3.

It's making me hate Fleener.

So you want to trade a top of the 2nd round draft pick for a bottom of the 3rd round draft pick?  

How-About-No.-Doctor-Evil-W630.jpg

Not drafting Fleener would not mean we would have to draft Allen and Hilton a round earlier than we did.  Now, if instead of Fleener, you wanted to talk about Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Derek Wolfe, Johnathan Martin, or even Mitchell Schwartz then we might have a discussion.  

Not drafting Fleener would not mean we would have to draft Allen and Hilton a round earlier than we did.  Now, if instead of Fleener, you wanted to talk about Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Derek Wolfe, Johnathan Martin, or even Mitchell Schwartz then we might have a discussion.  

Those were the two I wanted to choose from - Courtney Upshaw and Cordy Glenn. My preference was Glenn, would have been one less OL to invest in the offseason and one less journeyman like McGlynn to keep around. :)

I even made a thread after Day 1 that Cordy Glenn could be our version of Carl Nicks that the Saints drafted (now he is with the Bucs) and wanted him badly. I think he plays RT for the Bills, right?

Amen.

I guess others have had the same thoughts when I saw this-- definitely has shades of Austin Collie to it. Really hope we don't have another promising player whose career gets derailed because of concussions. Here's to hoping he recovers soon.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this latest "concussion".  He basically missed one day and already has been cleared to play in the game Sunday. JMO, but i doubt he had a concussion at all.  If he did it was a delayed onset and it had to be very very minor. Most guys miss more then one day in this era of the NFL when it comes to concussions.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this latest "concussion".  He basically missed one day and already has been cleared to play in the game Sunday. JMO, but i doubt he had a concussion at all.  If he did it was a delayed onset and it had to be very very minor. Most guys miss more then one day in this era of the NFL when it comes to concussions.

I remember a doctor they were interviewing on ESPN, said a concussion is a concussion as far as the NFL concussion policy now, that they all have to go through the same steps.  So why is he cleared so soon if they all have to go through the same steps is my question, i'm not really sure what the deal is with Fleener.

I remember a doctor they were interviewing on ESPN, said a concussion is a concussion as far as the NFL concussion policy now, that they all have to go through the same steps.  So why is he cleared so soon if they all have to go through the same steps is my question, i'm not really sure what the deal is with Fleener.

Last I read he was cleared to participate to some degree in practice, but he still has to undergo further testing and clearance before he'll be able to play in a game.

"Although it's Fleener's second concussion in as many seasons, he's gained quick clearance. This one was apparently extremely mild. Fleener will practice once again Thursday and is ticketed for a big role in the Pep Hamilton's offense. They're going to use a ton of "12" formations (one back, two tight ends)." 

Source: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news/

So did he have a concussion or not?

He stayed in the game....missed 1 day of practice.....and is now cleared less than 5 days later....what's going on here?

Recovery times for concussions are different from one person to the next.  And anyone can correct me on my details, but the way it usually goes is, if you are diagnosed with a concussion, you hvae to go through a series of exams and you can't play until you are cleared.  I haven't investigated recently with respect to Fleener, but if he is cleared by doctors, the fact that it happened in less than 5 days is really nothing to be concerned about.