Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justice Cunningham

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Burning-Questions-at-the-Tight-End-position-prior-to-Training-Camp/b06e36ea-7221-44a7-b9a8-e90f03846fac

Does anyone find it odd that they hype Saunders up in this article and don't mention Justice Cunningham or D. Jones?

I won't be surprised if we kept 4 TE's, with Saunders and Cunningham backing up Allen and Fleener.  I at least expect there to be a brutal competition between Saunders and Cunningham if we narrow it to 3 TE's, which is why I am shocked that Cunningham isn't even mentioned in this article.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Burning-Questions-at-the-Tight-End-position-prior-to-Training-Camp/b06e36ea-7221-44a7-b9a8-e90f03846fac

Does anyone find it odd that they hype Saunders up in this article and don't mention Justice Cunningham or D. Jones?

I won't be surprised if we kept 4 TE's, with Saunders and Cunningham backing up Allen and Fleener.  I at least expect there to be a brutal competition between Saunders and Cunningham if we narrow it to 3 TE's, which is why I am shocked that Cunningham isn't even mentioned in this article.

I think Cunningham is in the mix but more with Dominique Jones for the fourth spot.

Saunders is a proven NFL tight end where as Cunningham was one spot away from being an undrafted free agent.

I like Justice's frame but he struggled catching the ball a bit during the offseason.

If I had to guess, I would think Allen/Fleener/Saunders are on the 53-man roster with either Jones or Cunningham on the practice squad, maybe active roster if you have room.

I dunno, my personal take on stuff like this is to keep the guy we drafted so long as he is what they thought he is.  You then have a guy under contract for 4 seasons that cost the minimum.  With Saunders, we lose him next offseason anyway.

And with Fleener and Allen as 1/2, Cunningham would just be an injury sub.

I really don't see us getting that much out of Saunders, so why they'd keep him for 1 year over 4 years with Cunningham... I dunno.  But if Cunningham truly is terrible, then you definitely keep Saunders.  That's just from a cap perspective anyway.  I just don't see us aiming to re-up Saunders at the end of his deal, so why not move now when you've invested a pick.

I dunno, my personal take on stuff like this is to keep the guy we drafted so long as he is what they thought he is. You then have a guy under contract for 4 seasons that cost the minimum. With Saunders, we lose him next offseason anyway.

And with Fleener and Allen as 1/2, Cunningham would just be an injury sub.

I really don't see us getting that much out of Saunders, so why they'd keep him for 1 year over 4 years with Cunningham... I dunno. But if Cunningham truly is terrible, then you definitely keep Saunders. That's just from a cap perspective anyway. I just don't see us aiming to re-up Saunders at the end of his deal, so why not move now when you've invested a pick.

Our #3 TE is gonna get playing time too. You're making it seem like the #3 will only touch the field if #1 & #2 go down. Fatigue will set in eventually. Someone's gotta sub. And then you never know, some formations we may send Fleener to the slot and have justice at TE and put Allen in the backfield as FB just cause we can. I doubt that would happen but you never know with this "no coast" offense.

Expect the unexpected this coming season

Cunningham is a better blocker and catcher than saunders

270 pounds of Saunders is pretty good at blocking Stephen.  Cunningham has 'grit' which I love...and Steve Spurrier readily admids he under-utilized him.

I hope Cunningham makes either the 53 or PS...Special Teams may win it for him....shows a mean streak on the field  :thmup:

I expected Justice to make the team over Saunders anyways. I really think he'll be good. Watched him all year here at USC and he has underrated hands and he's a great blocker. A better combination than just the blocker like Saunders. Only advantage with Saunders was his experience, but I'm not too worried about our TEs.

Our #3 TE is gonna get playing time too. You're making it seem like the #3 will only touch the field if #1 & #2 go down. Fatigue will set in eventually. Someone's gotta sub. And then you never know, some formations we may send Fleener to the slot and have justice at TE and put Allen in the backfield as FB just cause we can. I doubt that would happen but you never know with this "no coast" offense.

Expect the unexpected this coming season

While that is all well and good, the #3 guy still won't see as much time as the #1 and #2.

Lastly, now that Saunders is suspended for the first 8 games of this season, we're basically letting him play out his last 8 games to then watch him leave.  If Cunningham is even half of what Saunders is, I'd cut bait now and move on to Cunningham.  At least we'd have him for 16 games, during which time he can hopefully develop into a solid contributor.

While that is all well and good, the #3 guy still won't see as much time as the #1 and #2.

Lastly, now that Saunders is suspended for the first 8 games of this season, we're basically letting him play out his last 8 games to then watch him leave.  If Cunningham is even half of what Saunders is, I'd cut bait now and move on to Cunningham.  At least we'd have him for 16 games, during which time he can hopefully develop into a solid contributor.

I actually think justice can develope into a starter someday.He has the tools to make that a reality.

I cant see us keeping 4 TEs. I rather keep an extra WR,CB,LB, or DL. I see us keeping saunders on the 53 and putting cunningham on the PS.

I dont see us keeping saunders after he has been suspended for the first 8 games of the season due to drug violations for the second time. Cunningham will be our 3rd TE now. 

I dont see us keeping saunders after he has been suspended for the first 8 games of the season due to drug violations for the second time. Cunningham will be our 3rd TE now.

I wrote that before Saunders suspension

I agree, Saunders just made it easy for Justice. 

I am kind of interested to see what we do with our numbers when it comes time to cut people -- I think we will definitely have 1 true FB (I expect Havili, but won't be shocked if Moore gives him a serious run for that spot).  I could, potentially, see us keep 4 TE's and get rid of a WR spot -- the reason I say this is, I think that Fleener is going to develop this year into a kind of hybrid between a WR and TE.  I would not be shocked to see Fleener out wide with Allen and Justice as our TE's on some occassions.

Then, I can't figure out what will happen with Brazzill -- I thought he was going to be a lock at WR, but now I am not so sure -- I wonder now, if we get rid of Brazzill, if we'd be better off having Justice and Jones on the team and rotating Fleener with the WR's occassionally -- perhaps Jones would be more valuable than a 5th WR in terms of special teams?

I think we will keep 4 RB's -- Brown, Ballard, Bradshaw and K-Will.  Then I think we will also keep a FB, which means we are gonna have to narrow down our TE to 3 or take a WR spot away compared to last year's roster.

I wish it was at least pre-season so that we could watch the games and make more informed guesses -- but oh well.  I sure hope our players stop getting suspensions!