Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charley Casserly said that LaRon Landry don't do much working out on his own.

superrep1967

You think London Fletcher is the worst linebacker in the league?!?

How did you come to that conclusion?

He missed more tackles than any linebacker in the league and allowed the highest percentage of completed passes and first downs in his coverage.

This is going to come as a great shock to the Washington Redskins.

And to think,  they keep re-signing him....

Hmmmmm?

Not sure what you're trying to say. A linebacker who misses 21 tackles and allowed 38 1st downs+ TDs into his coverage is pretty obviously bad.

Then again, the Redskins organization under Dan Snyder hasn't exactly been known for their great decision making while handing out contracts. To be fair though, he really fell of this year. He's been passable the few years prior.

I don't think the Colts were surprised,  by LaRon's lack of attendance,   but the comment that bothered TKnight is that I said Colts fans will be upset if he doesn't turn out to be the player that everyone hopes he will.    I think that comment is legitimate.  

When Landry showed up and he was interviewed by the media,  his quote that got the most attention (to me, at least)  was LaRon saying he was a team player who would do anything to help his team win.......   

The first thing I thought of was this.....      Anything,  except show up to off-season workouts and practices.   You're busy in the gym building up your body....

That was my first thought.....

Again,  I want to stress I'm neither hoping for,  nor predicting that Landry will be a bust.    I was only commenting that if he turns out not to be the player we hope for,   the comments about him here won't be very nice...

Just an opinion....   I could easily be wrong,  and often am!!

I just don't see the correlation. A team having 100% participation in the offseason program doesn't equate to wins. Landry being busy in the gym means he's taking care of his body, which is really the most important thing for a veteran player. If the team wanted to pressure him into participating in OTAs, they would have included a workout bonus in his contract. They know Landry doesn't do OTAs, but an extra $125k to get him in the facility in May would have been nothing, and would have added another $500k to the value of the contract over four years. It's just not a big deal.

And again, Reggie Wayne never comes to the OTAs, not until they're mandatory. That includes last year, when everything was new. It's a double standard. We give Reggie credit as the consummate professional, a leader and role model, and rightly so. But we discredit Landry for doing the same thing.

You are right, though. If Landry doesn't work out well for us, people will be super upset, and won't hesitate to bring up this offseason workout issue. And to an extent, I agree that it would be ideal for everyone to be together. But don't make the workouts voluntary and then get upset when guys don't come. And don't get upset at one guy, but give a pass to the next guy.

All I know is he's been with two other teams and neither one seemed too upset to let him leave.   And he was a top-10 pick for Washington.......

Just sayin.....

Jets reportedly really wanted to keep him, but just couldn't because of their cap situation.

I just don't see the correlation. A team having 100% participation in the offseason program doesn't equate to wins. Landry being busy in the gym means he's taking care of his body, which is really the most important thing for a veteran player. If the team wanted to pressure him into participating in OTAs, they would have included a workout bonus in his contract. They know Landry doesn't do OTAs, but an extra $125k to get him in the facility in May would have been nothing, and would have added another $500k to the value of the contract over four years. It's just not a big deal.

And again, Reggie Wayne never comes to the OTAs, not until they're mandatory. That includes last year, when everything was new. It's a double standard. We give Reggie credit as the consummate professional, a leader and role model, and rightly so. But we discredit Landry for doing the same thing.

You are right, though. If Landry doesn't work out well for us, people will be super upset, and won't hesitate to bring up this offseason workout issue. And to an extent, I agree that it would be ideal for everyone to be together. But don't make the workouts voluntary and then get upset when guys don't come. And don't get upset at one guy, but give a pass to the next guy.

The correlation is this....

On the one hand,  you say you're willing to do anything to help your team.    

On the other hand,  you were unwilling to come to any practice that wasn't mandatory, even though more than 95% of the team was willing.

Yes,  it's his right not to come to the none mandatory meetings.    But it's completely contradictory to say you're willing to anything when you're clearly not.

His actions speak much louder than his words. 

The correlation is this....

On the one hand,  you say you're willing to do anything to help your team.    

On the other hand,  you were unwilling to come to any practice that wasn't mandatory, even though more than 95% of the team was willing.

Yes,  it's his right not to come to the none mandatory meetings.    But it's completely contradictory to say you're willing to anything when you're clearly not.

His actions speak much louder than his words. 

I should have been clearer.

I don't think there's a definitive correlation between being at voluntary workouts and helping your team win. It's his offseason responsibility to take care of his body. He does as good a job of that as anyone else in the league. There's nothing hypocritical about Landry's comments vs. his actions.

If we have half the team missing OTAs, now there's an issue. But when a handful of veterans with well-established offseason routines don't come to voluntary workouts, it's not hurting the team. 

I should have been clearer.

I don't think there's a definitive correlation between being at voluntary workouts and helping your team win. It's his offseason responsibility to take care of his body. He does as good a job of that as anyone else in the league. There's nothing hypocritical about Landry's comments vs. his actions.

If we have half the team missing OTAs, now there's an issue. But when a handful of veterans with well-established offseason routines don't come to voluntary workouts, it's not hurting the team. 

I think you have all sorts of positions that are in conflict with each other....  

That said,  I think you've bypassed my last post.

Landry is free to do what he wants.      I just don't think it's right for him to say that he'll do anything to help his team, when it's clear by his actions that he's not.   I'm just going to stay focused on that.

That said,  the sentences I put into bold collide with each other and with generally accepted views by NFL teams....

I think you have all sorts of positions that are in conflict with each other....  

That said,  I think you've bypassed my last post.

Landry is free to do what he wants.      I just don't think it's right for him to say that he'll do anything to help his team, when it's clear by his actions that he's not.   I'm just going to stay focused on that.

That said,  the sentences I put into bold collide with each other and with generally accepted views by NFL teams....

I quoted your last post; I don't see how I could have bypassed it.

I don't think there's conflict in my statement. I'd prefer 100% participation at OTAs, but in today's NFL, some veteran players have entrenched offseason routines that serve them well. It's partly a function of free agency and increased player movement. Guys get used to working out on their own from before they're even drafted, and so long as they report to camp in shape, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Again, Reggie Wayne never reports until it's mandatory. How is it okay for him, but for Landry, it's evidence that he's not willing to do whatever it takes to help the team? Would you say that Reggie isn't willing to do whatever it takes to help the team? I wouldn't...

Lastly, when it comes to "generally accepted views," I'll repeat what I said earlier. If the Colts staff was concerned about Landry's participation in OTAs, they'd have included an incentive to get him to report. As it stands, it's a non-issue. I agree with you that some people will make a big deal out of it if Landry isn't what we hope he will be, but that doesn't make it any more relevant.

I don't think there's conflict in my statement. I'd prefer 100% participation at OTAs, but in today's NFL, some veteran players have entrenched offseason routines that serve them well. It's partly a function of free agency and increased player movement. Guys get used to working out on their own from before they're even drafted, and so long as they report to camp in shape, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Again, Reggie Wayne never reports until it's mandatory. How is it okay for him, but for Landry, it's evidence that he's not willing to do whatever it takes to help the team? Would you say that Reggie isn't willing to do whatever it takes to help the team? I wouldn't...

Lastly, when it comes to "generally accepted views," I'll repeat what I said earlier. If the Colts staff was concerned about Landry's participation in OTAs, they'd have included an incentive to get him to report. As it stands, it's a non-issue. I agree with you that some people will make a big deal out of it if Landry isn't what we hope he will be, but that doesn't make it any more relevant.

If Landry flops as a player,  then fans will be upset with Landry.

Has Wayne flopped as a player?     No.    Then fans are tolerant of him and his ways.

If teams didn't think it was important to be in attendance at off-season camps and workouts,  then (A) they wouldn't make them a priority and (B) subtly imply that it's in the players best interest to be in attendance.

You can't argue -- as you did -- that it's not that big a deal if some players miss these camps,  but if lots of them did,  then it's a big deal.    I don't agree.    And again,  it gets back to the point that you've repeatedly for some odd reason, skipped over.....

This will be a zero issue if Landry plays well.    But if he doesn't,  then it will become an issue.   Just as it would've for Wayne had he not been a very good player.

Not sure why we keep talking past each other,  but we are on this thread.....       :scratch:       :dunno:

If Landry flops as a player,  then fans will be upset with Landry.

Has Wayne flopped as a player?     No.    Then fans are tolerant of him and his ways.

If teams didn't think it was important to be in attendance at off-season camps and workouts,  then (A) they wouldn't make them a priority and (B) subtly imply that it's in the players best interest to be in attendance.

You can't argue -- as you did -- that it's not that big a deal if some players miss these camps,  but if lots of them did,  then it's a big deal.    I don't agree.    And again,  it gets back to the point that you've repeatedly for some odd reason, skipped over.....

This will be a zero issue if Landry plays well.    But if he doesn't,  then it will become an issue.   Just as it would've for Wayne had he not been a very good player.

Not sure why we keep talking past each other,  but we are on this thread.....       :scratch:       :dunno:

Fans were griping about Landry when he was missing from OTAs. I said the same thing then. It will be worse if he flops, but it's already started. It's prevalent in this very thread. Meanwhile, Reggie gets a pass, because 'he's Reggie.' 

The reason it would be a problem if lots of players skipped OTAs is because then OTAs become entirely unproductive. And again, ideally, everyone would show up. But one or two veterans? Not a big deal.

I took issue with your comment about Landry saying he wants to do whatever he can to help the team because I don't think him skipping OTAs is indicative of a lacking desire to help the team. 

You're right, we're not exactly getting each other here. It doesn't really matter; to me, it's all a non-issue. I just don't think Landry's absence at OTAs is pertinent.

You're right, we're not exactly getting each other here. It doesn't really matter; to me, it's all a non-issue. I just don't think Landry's absence at OTAs is pertinent.

It won't be pertinent if Landry plays well.....     Reggie plays well,  so he's cut some considerable slack....

But if LaRon doesn't play well....   it'll be interesting to see how this board reacts....

And I'll say it again,   I'm hoping along with everyone else that Landry plays well and this all becomes a non-issue.

Peace in our time.....  Peace for all time!        :thmup:

How would Charlie know?

Charley Casserly on the NFL network said that LaRon Landry don't do much working out in his own. But he is a extreme talent. IMO If he becomes injury prone with the Colts were going to say it's because of the lack of working out. But if thinks he's so great that he don't need to work out good for him and hopefully good for us. He sure looks to me he must do a lot of lifting on his own he's ripped.  

It won't be pertinent if Landry plays well.....     Reggie plays well,  so he's cut some considerable slack....

But if LaRon doesn't play well....   it'll be interesting to see how this board reacts....

And I'll say it again,   I'm hoping along with everyone else that Landry plays well and this all becomes a non-issue.

Right here are LL's stats for his career.

I think dude had an Achilles?  

So....    I think this cat is back and ready to Rock and Roll.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandLa99.htm

Dude just needs to put a "hat" on all incoming RB's...

hehehe...  That's it...

I totally agree!

Edge never worked out with the team either. At least till he blew out his knee. Then I hunk it was still very rare. Would have been cool to see him in the ota's. but if he has his own way of preparation. Like what kept him healthy last year more power to him. That's what training camp is for. And we don't know if he is of isn't in constant contact with players/coaches. He's a vet. I'm sure he'll be fine.

It will be on the coaches to put him in position to succeed. He's got plenty of film showing his strengths/weaknesses. Good box player and attacks downhill, but sometimes prone to misdirection plays and inconsistent pass coverage. That's basically been the book on Landry thus far. I liked Landry coming out of LSU, but there have been some bumps in the road. Hopefully Indy is a good place for him.

His probowl last year...there were some snubs, but its fan driven and people like how he looks in the gym I guess. :P

I'm not sure but I don't think teams are supposed to mess with the non mandatory camps. I think the collective bargaining agreement states that they are voluntary and that's what they are supposed to be. That said . and maybe I'm wrong on that one , I think it is probably more important for a WR to get in and work with his QB considering the timing could be a bit different with a new offense being implemented. Landry's success will hinge on him avoiding injuries and maybe his work out regime will help him better achieve this than a mini camp. Just no big deal...

I'm not sure but I don't think teams are supposed to mess with the non mandatory camps. I think the collective bargaining agreement states that they are voluntary and that's what they are supposed to be. That said . and maybe I'm wrong on that one , I think it is probably more important for a WR to get in and work with his QB considering the timing could be a bit different with a new offense being implemented. Landry's success will hinge on him avoiding injuries and maybe his work out regime will help him better achieve this than a mini camp. Just no big deal...

They're not. But they can offer workout bonuses that create a monetary incentive to participate. Colts management had to be aware of Landry's offseason routine. If they had a problem with it, I imagine they would have addressed it one way or the other.

They're not. But they can offer workout bonuses that create a monetary incentive to participate. Colts management had to be aware of Landry's offseason routine. If they had a problem with it, I imagine they would have addressed it one way or the other.

Grigson stated as much when interviewed.....saying he didn't mind since Landry was already familiar with the defense after playing with the Jets.

Not sure what you're trying to say. A linebacker who misses 21 tackles and allowed 38 1st downs+ TDs into his coverage is pretty obviously bad.

Then again, the Redskins organization under Dan Snyder hasn't exactly been known for their great decision making while handing out contracts. To be fair though, he really fell of this year. He's been passable the few years prior.

Wow if he's getting that many tackles and then missing that many, where the heck is everyone else on that defense?