Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on Manziel vary widely.....

A story from CBS Sports got picked up by NFL.com....    I'll link them both....

In a nutshell some GM's/Scouts think Manziel is a 1st round guy,  one said better than Luck, RG3 and Wilson.      Another said the kid has "Canada written all over him"....   that's how wide the difference is right now...   

Here's the original CBS Sports story....   it's very good, not long, and worth a good read if the topic interests you....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22451336/nfl-opinion-on-johnny-manziel-varies-greatly

Here's the NFL.com version of the story....   Same but condensed....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213185/article/johnny-manziel-opinion-varies-among-nfl-scouts-execs

So,  what brought this on?

A few days ago something really bothered Manziel and he tweeted that he can't wait to leave College Station.   He quickly took down the tweet, but not before it go picked up by others.   He has since reassured A&M fans how much he leaves the school but wishes things weren't so crazy for him there...

Think back to other first round QB's....   did you hear this kind of talk from Luck, RG3, or Wilson?  No?

Heck, not even Cam Newton said that about Auburn. 

What will Johnny Football be like when he's got $15 Mill in the bank from his signing bonus?   Gambling (legalized of course) partying, drinking, chasing women....   it's potentially not a pretty picture.    That will scare many teams if he doesn't clean up his act and quickly.

I was all for Maziel, and I wanted him to succeed in the NFL.

He is starting to really annoy me. He said something like "walk a day in my shoes." Oh like he has it so hard. Must be nice having a full-ride education, and only having to attend class once a semester.

A story from CBS Sports got picked up by NFL.com....    I'll link them both....

In a nutshell some GM's/Scouts think Manziel is a 1st round guy,  one said better than Luck, RG3 and Wilson.      Another said the kid has "Canada written all over him"....   that's how wide the difference is right now...   

Here's the original CBS Sports story....   it's very good, not long, and worth a good read if the topic interests you....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22451336/nfl-opinion-on-johnny-manziel-varies-greatly

Here's the NFL.com version of the story....   Same but condensed....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213185/article/johnny-manziel-opinion-varies-among-nfl-scouts-execs

So,  what brought this on?

A few days ago something really bothered Manziel and he tweeted that he can't wait to leave College Station.   He quickly took down the tweet, but not before it go picked up by others.   He has since reassured A&M fans how much he leaves the school but wishes things weren't so crazy for him there...

Think back to other first round QB's....   did you hear this kind of talk from Luck, RG3, or Wilson?  No?

Heck, not even Cam Newton said that about Auburn. 

What will Johnny Football be like when he's got $15 Mill in the bank from his signing bonus?   Gambling (legalized of course) partying, drinking, chasing women....   it's potentially not a pretty picture.    That will scare many teams if he doesn't clean up his act and quickly.

That is just completely unsubstantiated, you cannot base that on a tweet. You also cannot base much on the idiocy of a friend who got him into trouble with the law.

He was thrown into the fire as a 19-year old kid who hasn't fully developed physically or mentally.

He has the potential to be an elite Pro, and even if he doesn;t fulfill it his floor is still above plenty of first-round QBs.

Manziel will have a hard time if he has to carry a team. He needs to go a middle of round 1 team that has invested enough in its D to reduce pressure on him, IMO.

I am certain that the Tampa Bay Bucs, if their Josh Freeman experiment ends this year, might move up and grab him in the top of the 1st, it is definitely possible with all the pieces the Bucs have added on D.

He seems too immature to me.  If he's taken early and asked to be the starter with a 15 million dollar signing bonus he could have an epic Ryan Leaf like collapse.  

My guess is maturity issues might drop him down to the 3rd or 4th round like what happened to Ryan Mallet.  

That is just completely unsubstantiated, you cannot base that on a tweet. You also cannot base much on the idiocy of a friend who got him into trouble with the law.

He was thrown into the fire as a 19-year old kid who hasn't fully developed physically or mentally.

He has the potential to be an elite Pro, and even if he doesn;t fulfill it his floor is still above plenty of first-round QBs.

What's the unsubstantiated part?     That the quotes from the NFL types were anonymous?    They're almost always anonymous.     You think the writer is making-up the quotes?

No one is basing anything off a tweet alone.....    the kid has had a checkered, and shall we say,  colorful recent history.

If he comes out after this season -- and most now seem to think he will -- he'll be leaving two full seasons of possible play on the table.     That's a mistake.

What's the unsubstantiated part?     That the quotes from the NFL types were anonymous?    They're almost always anonymous.     You think the writer is making-up the quotes?

No one is basing anything off a tweet alone.....    the kid has had a checkered, and shall we say,  colorful recent history.

If he comes out after this season -- and most now seem to think he will -- he'll be leaving two full seasons of possible play on the table.     That's a mistake.

The unsubstantiated part was the bit I put in bold. You are jumping to massive conclusions on his future with little basis. This checkered past is one of relative immaturity, but none of any real criminality or badness. He got into trouble once because of a friend's actions.

Now regarding his football ability, I can understand the differing opinions, but one thing few point out is that he obviously has not fully developed physically yet... he seems like a bit of a late bloomer in the regard. Males usually stop growing significantly in height at 23, and do not fully fill out until 24/25. Obviously athletes somewhat accelerate this process, but I can ensure you Manziel will be physically a more prototypical quarterback in two years time.

Mentally, he needs to grow up somewhat as well, but he does have a lot of expectation of his shoulders, and he will learn to deal with this better with age and experience. The NFL is not without players of controversy... RG3 is not afraid to have his opinions heard, and that is a quality I admire in him... I actually wish Luck was a bit more like that. As long as the line is drawn at unethical or unlawful behavior, it does not worry me.

He was 19 when he one a Heisman last year. I agree he should stay another 2 years in College, but to deny his skill-set is insane... he is one of the most naturally talented players I have ever seen.

The unsubstantiated part was the bit I put in bold. You are jumping to massive conclusions on his future with little basis. This checkered past is one of relative immaturity, but none of any real criminality or badness. He got into trouble once because of a friend's actions.

Now regarding his football ability, I can understand the differing opinions, but one thing few point out is that he obviously has not fully developed physically yet... he seems like a bit of a late bloomer in the regard. Males usually stop growing significantly in height at 23, and do not fully fill out until 24/25. Obviously athletes somewhat accelerate this process, but I can ensure you Manziel will be physically a more prototypical quarterback in two years time.

Mentally, he needs to grow up somewhat as well, but he does have a lot of expectation of his shoulders, and he will learn to deal with this better with age and experience. The NFL is not without players of controversy... RG3 is not afraid to have his opinions heard, and that is a quality I admire in him... I actually wish Luck was a bit more like that. As long as the line is drawn at unethical or unlawful behavior, it does not worry me.

He was 19 when he one a Heisman last year. I agree he should stay another 2 years in College, but to deny his skill-set is insane... he is one of the most naturally talented players I have ever seen.

Anton....    sorry, I didn't follow....

But, the things you put into bold are all things he's been photographed doing.    All of them.    Nothing unsubstantiated there.

And, while I agree that I'm not worried about criminal behavior or badness,  I absolutely am worried that he's not mature enough.    Hey,  I would be if I thought he wasn't coming out after this year.    Luck stayed at Stanford 4 years,  RG3 stayed 4 years at Baylor.     I always encourage kids to enjoy being a kid while you can because you may have lots less fun once you're an adult.    Enjoy school.    Some of your 'kid' mistakes can be hidden away while you're in school.

If he's a 1st round QB,  he becomes the face of a Billion dollar corporation.   That's what NFL teams are these days.   Billion dollar companies.     And he'd be the face,  whether it's J'Ville or Oakland or somewhere else.     You don't want another Ryan Leaf situation.    You want someone like Peyton Manning who was mature.

I hope the kid stays in school.    I think it would help him professionally,  and personally.   And I think he needs both.

Anton....    sorry, I didn't follow....

But, the things you put into bold are all things he's been photographed doing.    All of them.    Nothing unsubstantiated there.

And, while I agree that I'm not worried about criminal behavior or badness,  I absolutely am worried that he's not mature enough.    Hey,  I would be if I thought he wasn't coming out after this year.    Luck stayed at Stanford 4 years,  RG3 stayed 4 years at Baylor.     I always encourage kids to enjoy being a kid while you can because you may have lots less fun once you're an adult.    Enjoy school.    Some of your 'kid' mistakes can be hidden away while you're in school.

If he's a 1st round QB,  he becomes the face of a Billion dollar corporation.   That's what NFL teams are these days.   Billion dollar companies.     And he'd be the face,  whether it's J'Ville or Oakland or somewhere else.     You don't want another Ryan Leaf situation.    You want someone like Peyton Manning who was mature.

I hope the kid stays in school.    I think it would help him professionally,  and personally.   And I think he needs both.

Just read of few of these articles... not a big fan of tabloids so had not seen much of this. I had seen his courtside pics etc. (which I think he has every right to do) but not the partying pics. However, again, what is the big deal? Who doesn't do that at his age? In the off season? He did not win a Heisman by not putting the work in and being unprofessional. Then again, I am one of the few who has no problem with Rob Gronkowski's antics so each to their own.

A good organization will keep him reigned in... once you get to the NFL, it is a different story, he will not be bigger than the team he is on. I genuinely do not think that end of things will be a concern.

In terms of talent... I think he's a lock to be a success, again, his skill-set is insane.

Just read of few of these articles... not a big fan of tabloids so had not seen much of this. I had seen his courtside pics etc. (which I think he has every right to do) but not the partying pics. However, again, what is the big deal? Who doesn't do that at his age? In the off season? He did not win a Heisman by not putting the work in and being unprofessional. Then again, I am one of the few who has no problem with Rob Gronkowski's antics so each to their own.

A good organization will keep him reigned in... once you get to the NFL, it is a different story, he will not be bigger than the team he is on. I genuinely do not think that end of things will be a concern.

In terms of talent... I think he's a lock to be a success, again, his skill-set is insane.

We see this completely differently.....

I want someone who is an 'old soul' like Luck, or Manning, or Rodgers....  someone mature to be my quarterback.

Fun loving guys can play other positions.   But my leader has to be a rock.

As to his skill set....   I think it's a nice set for college.   But I'm far, far from a believer that his game can translate into the NFL.

He's small,  he does not have a strong arm,  I'm not sure how good he is at reading defenses.   Much of his success comes on broken plays.   Not sure that's going to be he can do at the NFL level.   

Maybe.   But he's only done it for one year.   I'd like to see at least two more seasons.    But by the sound of things,  he'll do one more year and then go pro.   Two years of success in college would make me uncomfortable especially with his physical limitations and immaturity....

It appears that what upset Manziel enough to tweet about leaving College Station is this....

He got a parking ticket.

He was parked the wrong way in front of his house and also for excess tinting on his windows...

That's what set him off....

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/aggies/2013/06/manziels-tweet-over-parking-ticket-heisman-winner-also-nearly-juco-bound-last-summer/

Also....  a good behind the scenes story is that he was reportedly only 1-day away from transferring last summer to a JC.    He had been suspended from school for a year over some incident and was THIS CLOSE to leaving school.

But there was a last minute hearing,  Manziel was re-instated, and the rest (his Heisman season) is history!

It's all in the linked story.....

It appears that what upset Manziel enough to tweet about leaving College Station is this....

He got a parking ticket.

He was parked the wrong way in front of his house and also for excess tinting on his windows...

That's what set him off....

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/aggies/2013/06/manziels-tweet-over-parking-ticket-heisman-winner-also-nearly-juco-bound-last-summer/

Also....  a good behind the scenes story is that he was reportedly only 1-day away from transferring last summer to a JC.    He had been suspended from school for a year over some incident and was THIS CLOSE to leaving school.

But there was a last minute hearing,  Manziel was re-instated, and the rest (his Heisman season) is history!

It's all in the linked story.....

It's rough being Johnny Manziel NCF. You should try walking a day in his shoes. I mean it's rough...

Coming from a wealthy family

Driving a Mercedes at 19 years old

Taking batting practice with the SD Padres

Throwing out the first pitch for the Rangers and the Astros

Playing golf at Pebble Beach

Pulling enough tail in college like your a 10 when you're a 5

Sitting courtside at NBA games

How Johnny makes it though I will never know......

It's rough being Johnny Manziel NCF. You should try walking a day in his shoes. I mean it's rough...

Coming from a wealthy family

Driving a Mercedes at 19 years old

Taking batting practice with the SD Padres

Throwing out the first pitch for the Rangers and the Astros

Playing golf at Pebble Beach

Pulling enough tail in college like your a 10 when you're a 5

Sitting courtside at NBA games

How Johnny makes it though I will never know......

There are some things that come with fame that make life a bit more difficult but yeah the benefits you receive from them outweigh the negatives.  

Otherwise people who got a little bit of fame would go straight into hiding and try to fade from the limelight instead of seeking more and more fame.  Very few people try to escape fame once they get a taste of it.  Some do, but most just try to get more.

There are some things that come with fame that make life a bit more difficult but yeah the benefits you receive from them outweigh the negatives.

Otherwise people who got a little bit of fame would go straight into hiding and try to fade from the limelight instead of seeking more and more fame. Very few people try to escape fame once they get a taste of it. Some do, but most just try to get more.

It's not that difficult to fly under the radar a bit. If Eli Manning can do it in NYC, Lil Johnny can do it under the bright lights of College Station.

Can't wait till he shuts all the critics up...It annoys me how quick people want to tear someone down,....He has the potential to be an elite NFL quarterback...He has skills that are different from anyone we have seen since Fran Tarkington and I still believe he will have a stellar season and will be in the conversation for the 1st pick...A lot of the great ones are cocky and have that chip on their shoulders: see John Elway and Dan Marino as examples, not necessarily a bad thing.

Can't wait till he shuts all the critics up...It annoys me how quick people want to tear someone down,....He has the potential to be an elite NFL quarterback...He has skills that are different from anyone we have seen since Fran Tarkington and I still believe he will have a stellar season and will be in the conversation for the 1st pick...A lot of the great ones are cocky and have that chip on their shoulders: see John Elway and Dan Marino as examples, not necessarily a bad thing.

Do the great ones shove graduate assistants at the spring game?

Manziel will not be a long term Pro Bowl caliber player in the NFL. I've always said no matter how big or small you are, if you can play you can play. But Johnny Football doesn't have the frame to take hits every sunday for the next 10 years. He may work hard but most of the time that's not enough, you have to have a tremendous amount of talent to go along with that hard work, day in day out. I don't think he has it in him to lead a team at QB in any situation especially long-term. Also, whoever said he is/would be better than Mr. Luck they need to pursue journalism away from football.

I dont know how Manziel will turn out so Im not gonna predict if he will be a bust....at least at this stage. Clearly we have seen skills like his come into the league many many times now, Robert Griffin.....Andrew Luck.....Cam Newton.....Ryan Tannehill.....Just during the last couple years alone so we have seen his skills plenty before....Cockiness is not a bad thing your right in my opinion but immaturity is.you can be cocky yet still be mature, Its a fine line but can be done. Right now he has to mature, he cant be spouting off over twitter like he did over what is really "IN HOUSE" matters. I cant say one way or another if I like Manziel. I never met the guy obviously but he has to learn how to be a professional off the field just as much as on. As to his QB ability....I think he will need to be a mid to late 1st round pick because its going to take him some time to learn the ins and outs of the position unless he goes to a team thats willing to use some Zone Read....I have questions about his accuracy, I know the stats say he was accurate but he throws alot of wobbly passes which also indicates he dont have an elite arm, a good arm but not a Robert Griffin or Russel Wilson arm. The good news is he dont have to have a Bret Favre or any of the others I mentioned arm to win games. He does make alot of questionable decisions and plays alot of backyard style football but does put some passes right on the money, he will run for yards and then backtrack and lose a couple before he goes again which is another concern when running. Physically I have little to no doubt he has what it takes to be succesful as a QB.......My question is can he get the mental down while also maturing as a person

I dont know how Manziel will turn out so Im not gonna predict if he will be a bust....at least at this stage. Clearly we have seen skills like his come into the league many many times now, Robert Griffin.....Andrew Luck.....Cam Newton.....Ryan Tannehill.....Just during the last couple years alone so we have seen his skills plenty before....

If I'm reading you correctly,  you're comparing Manziel to Luck, Newton, RG3 and Tannehill?

Until I see him do it again,  I'm not ready to go there my any stretch of the imagination.

I think he's got elite feet and scrambling ability and poise under pressure....   I think you termed it 'backyard football'....   I think that's a very good term for his style.    But, he until he shows more signs of being able to succeed in something that resembles NFL football,  I'm very, very reluctant to compare him to anyone that you have.   

Sorry,   I just do not see it.   At least,  not yet I don't.

If I'm reading you correctly,  you're comparing Manziel to Luck, Newton, RG3 and Tannehill?

Until I see him do it again,  I'm not ready to go there my any stretch of the imagination.

I think he's got elite feet and scrambling ability and poise under pressure....   I think you termed it 'backyard football'....   I think that's a very good term for his style.    But, he until he shows more signs of being able to succeed in something that resembles NFL football,  I'm very, very reluctant to compare him to anyone that you have.   

I was speaking about his scrambling and running ability when comparing him to Luck/Newton and the others

He does have elite feet and elite pocket awareness that makes him special and different...Not really about the speed he just seems to have an innate sense of where to avoid the rush and extend plays...What I really like about him is he runs to throw, and only runs if it is the last resort much like Tarkington...

He does have elite feet and elite pocket awareness that makes him special and different...Not really about the speed he just seems to have an innate sense of where to avoid the rush and extend plays...What I really like about him is he runs to throw, and only runs if it is the last resort much like Tarkington...

My question is if he is under pressure will he be able to stand in the pocket and fire an accurate pass for a crucial completion without his instincts kicking in and him running(a huge majority of his rushing yards come on plays where the play broke down) which isn't designed runs, some are, many aren't), He does feel pressure well at least at the college level but to be honest I see alot of Doug Flutie in him, smaller QB, not big hands, Throws a wobbler of a pass quite a bit but can scramble if needed. I think Doug Flutie is his ceiling......and your not gonna like this...But he also has some Tebow in him....Never gonna give ya 30 plus td passes but given the chance to start a full season can give you 18-20 along with 5-6-7 rushing td's (Tebow had 12 td passes in 11 starts)

My question is if he is under pressure will he be able to stand in the pocket and fire an accurate pass for a crucial completion without his instincts kicking in and him running(a huge majority of his rushing yards come on plays where the play broke down) which isn't designed runs, some are, many aren't), He does feel pressure well at least at the college level but to be honest I see alot of Doug Flutie in him, smaller QB, not big hands, Throws a wobbler of a pass quite a bit but can scramble if needed. I think Doug Flutie is his ceiling......and your not gonna like this...But he also has some Tebow in him....Never gonna give ya 30 plus td passes but given the chance to start a full season can give you 18-20 along with 5-6-7 rushing td's (Tebow had 12 td passes in 11 starts)

I see Flutie in him too, and Flutie was a great QB, even when he finally got a chance in his 30's to play in the NFL he was successful...I think Manziel is a better version of Flutie though...

I see Flutie in him too, and Flutie was a great QB, even when he finally got a chance in his 30's to play in the NFL he was successful...I think Manziel is a better version of Flutie though...

I think Flutie was good, Never was close to great but decent , Flutie was drafted way back in '85 when the NFL  draft had more rounds (He was drafted in the 11th round), I think Manziel has a chance to be successful as a starter but a slim one, a big part of that is what team he lands on, If he goes late 1st then he has a much bigger chance of being successful in my opinion then some crap team like the Jags, But if he goes to the Jags (when they likely get a top 5 pick) then he could start from day 1....If he starts from day 1 then Im thinking he is doomed...He will take time

Maybe I am wrong or maybe it's just because he's a freshman but he just looks too small to me.  I think the NFL would be too much punishment for him the way he plays.  RG3 is a little small and he has almost 20 pounds on Johnny Manziel.  Then again Manziel has a couple of years to add to his frame.