Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Johnny Manziel succeed in the NFL?

Personally for me he is the second coming of Tebow. A guy that lacks the big arm you need to succeed in the NFL nowadays. Immature, and a whole bunch of hype surrounding him.

I can see him going to J'Ville, Oakland or Cleveland, and floundering just like Tebow eventually did.

Do you think I should wear these jeans with that shirt or those jeans with this shirt? It says its suppose to be nice - but they have been wrong before. I want to be comfortable - but I also want to be properly protected against the elements. I want to look nice - and show the people Im going with I know how to be professional. 

What do you think? Outfit A or Outfit B? Keep in mind how the weather is there during that time of the year. Lemme know asap - but we got plenty of time.

Thanks in advance.

Do you think I should wear these jeans with that shirt or those jeans with this shirt? It says its suppose to be nice - but they have been wrong before. I want to be comfortable - but I also want to be properly protected against the elements. I want to look nice - and show the people Im going with I know how to be professional. 

What do you think? Outfit A or Outfit B? Keep in mind how the weather is there during that time of the year. Lemme know asap - but we got plenty of time.

Thanks in advance.

Outfit B haha

Has one thing that is  usually lacking from smaller guys...he has big hands for his size. If he can really fake throws and tuck it, he can freeze players and get out to see lanes. I think he has a chance to make it myself.

I think he will be great, a better version of Russell Wilson....His arm isn't a rocket, but it's not bad and the comparisons to Tebow are uninformed..He beat Alabama by himself!!!!!! He is going to win the Heisman again this year, and will be the 1st pick next year...All these haters will be on the bandwagon by then....He is a modern version of Fran Tarkington...

Personally for me he is the second coming of Tebow. A guy that lacks the big arm you need to succeed in the NFL nowadays. Immature, and a whole bunch of hype surrounding him.

I can see him going to J'Ville, Oakland or Cleveland, and floundering just like Tebow eventually did.

What's kind of funny is you just described the anti-Tebow lol. Tim's problem wasn't immaturity or arm strength, it was terrible accuracy and a slow release due to poor mechanics and a lack of QB IQ. 

With the media circus around him, he'd have cracked long ago if he wasn't mature. 

Depends on what team he goes to, if he goes to Jax,Oak, he'll fail. If he goes to a team like the Saints and learn from Brees for 3 years i think he'll do great.

Every team has a chance to turn fit around. I remember the Saints being the Saints and fans wearing bags over their heads.

What are some of his maturity issues?  What has he done?  From the few things I've seen on him, he's always come across as a classy guy

I believe he got in a physical fight with a graduate assistant at the spring game.  And I think I've heard that this Heisman thing has gone to his head a bit.

Before that incident I thought he'd do fine, because Brees and Wilson seemed to prove that shorter QB's can succeed in the NFL.  But if there is one type of QB I can assure you won't succeed in the NFL it's an immature one.

Now Manzel has plenty of time to grow up, so he still has a chance.  But this will come up, especially if he decides to leave for the NFL after this year.  I think he'd be better served by staying in college another year.  If he can go straight and handle the attention a bit better then he'll have a good chance.  

Tebow isn't immature, he just has extremely poor arm talent and can't succeed as a QB in the modern NFL.  

That is ************** because you don't need the big arm to be good enough to play at a high level in the NFL the only thing you have to be able to do as a QB is avoid sacks and be able to throw 10 yards downfield for a first down that's it and if you are able to throw 20-25 yards down the field then you will be able to bring your team back if needed.

That is ************** because you don't need the big arm to be good enough to play at a high level in the NFL the only thing you have to be able to do as a QB is avoid sacks and be able to throw 10 yards downfield for a first down that's it and if you are able to throw 20-25 yards down the field then you will be able to bring your team back if needed.

Uhh no. . . 

While arm strength can be overrated, because at some point the extra power that you can put on the ball leads to diminishing returns.  (I mean Joe Flacco probably has the NFL's strongest arm but is an above average QB at best.)

You have to have a certain level of power on the ball not only to be able to get it down field and force the safeties to cover deep. (Which leaves your underneath guys open.)  But you also need to have an appropriate amount of "zip" on the ball to get it there faster so your window doesn't close on you.

Realistically Arm Strength is a misnomer because a lot of the power on the ball comes from the lower body and some of it has to do with having good throwing technique.  So it's not something that a QB could necessarily just fix in the gym.

But arm strength, as in the ability to put power behind the ball, not only to get it down field but also to throw it faster is important.  

Although I would say that unlike a lot of other abilities, once you have a certain amount of it, you get diminishing returns, the extra throwing power would not help you as much as say having extra football intelligence, extra accuracy, etc. 

I disagree you don't have to be able to throw over half the distance of the field to have success.

You are very limited in what you can do if you can't throw the ball that far.  

Go play NCAA Football 13, and play several games with a QB with 99 accuracy and about 60 throw power.  

Then pump his throw power up to 99 as well and play several games.  Low throw power is extremely limiting.  

Played on Varsity in Road to Glory with a pocket passer and for some reason my player came out with pretty high accuracy (I think it was like 80) but low throw power.  Not only did it make pretty much any receiver beyond 20 to 30 yards non existent no matter how open they where, but my throws gave the DB's more time to react to knock the ball down, intercept, or come up and hit the receiver just as he was making the catch.

That sort of thing transfers into real world play as well when you have a QB with limited throwing power. 

You can have success but you can never be an above average or elite QB with a weak arm.  

Saw Manziel on First Take(puke) the other day....that guy is small. I'm not talking about bulk, I talking his frame. The female moderator had broader shoulders than Johnny Pimples. Good luck to the kid, but I don't see it.

Manziel has to go to a team that has defensive talent to take pressure off him to be the star all the time, much like Russell Wilson. If that ends up happening, he has a good chance at team success and thus personal success too.