Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

More from Pep Hamilton about the Colt's new offense....

NewColtsFan

... found this from the NFL Post.com....   Dan Pompei...

I think it's an exclusive interview....   I haven't seen these comments from Pep anywhere else....

Note of caution:   Not sure how much I believe what's in this story,  but it's an interesting read.   The example is Pep saying we're not going to emphasize a short passing game...   

Read on, and enjoy!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-sunday-blitz-093110275--nfl.html

I swear we have Cheat Codes in this franchise.

Grigson is probably the best person to have for offensive line scouting as he's an exlineman himself

Pagano is a CB Genius & Defensive Mastermind

Andrew Luck is..... well he needs no explanation

And now we've added to Andrew Luck's fire by reuniting him with a familiar coach even though it was only a year but still counts

This organization should be illegal to have :funny: but you gotta love it

:colts:

I swear we have Cheat Codes in this franchise.

Grigson is probably the best person to have for offensive line scouting as he's an exlineman himself

Pagano is a CB Genius & Defensive Mastermind

Andrew Luck is..... well he needs no explanation

And now we've added to Andrew Luck's fire by reuniting him with a familiar coach even though it was only a year but still counts

This organization should be illegal to have :funny: but you gotta love it

:colts:

Andrew luck is Andrew Luck but the rest is still tbd.

IDK if I'd call Pagano a mastermind just quite yet, he had an already great D in Baltimore, we need to see what he does here.

Also we don't know how good the lineman Grigson are, we know he is pretty good at drafting offensive skill positions.

Andrew luck is Andrew Luck but the rest is still tbd.

IDK if I'd call Pagano a mastermind just quite yet, he had an already great D in Baltimore, we need to see what he does here.

Also we don't know how good the lineman Grigson are, we know he is pretty good at drafting offensive skill positions.

Okay well sub my Grigson line with offensive skill position. Still a cheat code lol

This is not going to make a few others who make comments in the other forums happy. There are a few who feels the Colts should more or less abandon the run and have Luck throw most of the time. There were some that were debating each other saying Luck would throw for 5,000 yards this coming season. I was not one of them. My feelings were the offense needs to be balanced with more ball control in mind. With that mindset it would also help the defense by giving them more time to rest and regroup. A plus side to this is the other team can't score without the ball. Many years we watched Manning's offense put up big numbers and go up and down the field sometimes at will. But it never worked out in the playoffs because we faced teams that were more balanced. The cold weather can play a part in that also. I am fully aware that Luck will have the skill to be a big number QB but I would rather see a team that is built not only to win games but to advance deep into the playoffs and a few super bowl wins hopefully. As exciting as the Colts were during the Manning years the playoff losses were brutal. The one super bowl win came from a team that all of a sudden had a great running game and a good defense. Playing the Bears with Grossman in the rain help a lot!  :worthy:  :lombardi:

• 1 month later...

Since I think Pep Hamilton has already been discussed plenty, I figured I would piggy back on this old thread rather than creating a new one.

After mentioning briefly the Coryell coaching tree in another thread, I remembered this article that I read a couple years back and had to dig it up. It mentioned Pep and how Stanford had been combining west coast and coryell concepts. In the link, just skip down to the section Pro-Style offenses and it talks a little about Hamilton's system at Stanford - and gives more insight as to why Luck was universally considered the most pro-ready QB coming out of that draft - or any other recent draft.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/4272/systems-analyst-the-pistol-pro-style-and-triple-option-offenses

you guys may have seen this at some point already...dunno

I could have sworn I read or heard Pep say a few of those quotes before, Its almost as if Dan through a couple of quotes in Pep made and through in his opinions and made a article out of whats already been said

I could have sworn I read or heard Pep say a few of those quotes before, Its almost as if Dan through a couple of quotes in Pep made and through in his opinions and made a article out of whats already been said

the original article above was posted here a month ago...I just bumped an old thread for the article I linked....unless I just totally misunderstood your post

As exciting as the Colts were during the Manning years the playoff losses were brutal. The one super bowl win came from a team that all of a sudden had a great running game and a good defense. Playing the Bears with Grossman in the rain help a lot!  :worthy:  :lombardi:

Yes.  Suddenly a defense and a great running game.  That same year the Jags ran for 3 miles in our game against them.  Jones Drew wore out three pairs of shoes. 

How many games did the Colts lose because they could not get one stinking first down to close out the game?  Take it to the bank, the Colts will have a running game this season. :rock:

Anybody else think it will be Hilton and DHB on the outside with Reggie in the slot for the majority of the 3wr sets we run? Of course Reggie will stay in for 2wr sets, but it makes more sense (to me) to let the outside guys stretch the D, leaving Reggie open field in the middle and LBs on our TEs... add Bradshaw as a safety valve and the result is the same in principle as a 5 wide set, only vertical. I dunno.. one of you guys with all the x and o answers please chime in to tell me if I'm being especially dense tonight.. I believe that some pundits have alluded to this and Rick Venturi basically laid it out this way on JMV a couple days ago...

It will happen... 

Anybody else think it will be Hilton and DHB on the outside with Reggie in the slot for the majority of the 3wr sets we run? Of course Reggie will stay in for 2wr sets, but it makes more sense (to me) to let the outside guys stretch the D, leaving Reggie open field in the middle and LBs on our TEs... add Bradshaw as a safety valve and the result is the same in principle as a 5 wide set, only vertical. I dunno.. one of you guys with all the x and o answers please chime in to tell me if I'm being especially dense tonight.. I believe that some pundits have alluded to this and Rick Venturi basically laid it out this way on JMV a couple days ago...

Yes.  Suddenly a defense and a great running game.  That same year the Jags ran for 3 miles in our game against them.  Jones Drew wore out three pairs of shoes. 

How many games did the Colts lose because they could not get one stinking first down to close out the game?  Take it to the bank, the Colts will have a running game this season. :rock:

the original article above was posted here a month ago...I just bumped an old thread for the article I linked....unless I just totally misunderstood your post

No you understood right

u can tell, as article notes

It sounds as if that is about to change. Hamilton expressed enthusiasm for the offensive line with veteran additions Gosder Cherlius and Donald Thomas, and he expressed confidence in running backs Vick Ballard and Donald Brown.

NO MENTION OF BRADSHAW < SO WILL BE EVEN BETTER

I say on some plays we run an empty backfield and line up like this

5 offensive lineman (of course)

Andrew Luck either in the shotgun or under center

Dwayne Allen lined up on the line next to the LT or RT

DHB & TY Hilton on the outside of both sidelines

Coby Fleener lined up in the slot next to DHB

Reggie Wayne lined up in the slot next to TY Hilton

Basically a 4 WR set but a TE as the #4 and the TE on the line replaces the RB. I bet Oakland would have trouble defending that :D

:funny:

u can tell, as article notes

It sounds as if that is about to change. Hamilton expressed enthusiasm for the offensive line with veteran additions Gosder Cherlius and Donald Thomas, and he expressed confidence in running backs Vick Ballard and Donald Brown.

NO MENTION OF BRADSHAW < SO WILL BE EVEN BETTER

The article is from a week before we signed Bradshaw.

This was the bit of the article I linked that I was mainly pointing people to in regards to Luck's aptitude and the offense that Stanford ran. The article has a little more detail about the origins of the offense, but those couple lines quoted below point to why Luck was considered the most pro-ready QB in a number of years.

Including formations, Stanford has about 1,000 different play options and will take about 300 to 350 concepts into a game.

“I would go out on a limb to say we’re able to do just as much here as any of the NFL teams I’ve been with just because of the mental aptitude and the amount of information our guys can retain and process,” Hamilton said.

I hope there's no gimmick option QB runs he needs to stay in the pocket he took a beating last year with our O-Line. Or run out of the pocket to avoid getting hits but none of those RG3 or Kaps type of plays!!! Andrew lucks padding numbers will go down though but I think his completion numbers will go up because I think we will have a running game this year with the rebuilt O-Line

Well, one thing that can be overlooked is how the San Fran D kept the team close or ahead in games that the O could still stick to their game plan of incorporating the run heavily in their playcalling.

Hopefully, our D can do the same and make the tempo and clock control plans of our O come to fruition.

Recent games like the Giants home game, Seahawks road game etc., once the wheels fell off, it became a lop sided affair for the 49ers. Even in the SB, I think it would have ended more lop sided if there wasn't that huge break in the game due to the power outage.

That is where having a QB that can make several reads and run the no huddle like A.Luck helps should we fall behind. I just don't think Kaepernick is good enough to do that, IMO.

I hope there's no gimmick option QB runs he needs to stay in the pocket he took a beating last year with our O-Line. Or run out of the pocket to avoid getting hits but none of those RG3 or Kaps type of plays!!! Andrew lucks padding numbers will go down though but I think his completion numbers will go up because I think we will have a running game this year with the rebuilt O-Line

Couple of things I don't get. First, QB keepers don't always result in the QB getting hit. Run well, the QB can pick up yardage and slide, or duck out of bounds. The whole point is to get the ball carrier in space. People always think about Griffin getting hurt, but that was not a contact play, and was more due to his recklessness and the terrible field conditions. Watch the Seahawks/Bills game from last season; Wilson ran all over the Bills, and hardly got touched.

Second, most of us around here agree that Luck is a better passer than Griffin, Kaepernick and Wilson. Not to take anything away from them; I think they'll all be really good QBs. But Luck's grasp of a pro-style offense and his ability to stand in the pocket and make all the throws seems to have set him apart in the minds of many. Yet, those other guys had superior efficiency numbers to Luck. They had higher completion percentages and better passer ratings and QBRs. None of those stats are conclusive, but it seems quite obvious that the offensive schemes they played in helped them to produce. So, if a "gimmick" wrinkle can help make an inferior QB more efficient, why would we close our superior QB off from some of those wrinkles? 

No one wants to see Luck turned into a glorified running back. He's not Tim Tebow. But he's more athletic than he's given credit for, and he has a monstrous frame (he's literally built like a linebacker). If we can make life easier for him by calling some designed QB runs, even if they are a little gimmicky, what's wrong with that? It keeps the defense honest by making our attack more multiple, it can give the running backs more space, and it will tire out opposing defenses, especially pass rushers. We're not going to be zone read / option offense, of course. Luck will stand in the pocket and throw the ball. But on occasion, a little flavor to our offense is going to be a good thing.

Couple of things I don't get. First, QB keepers don't always result in the QB getting hit. Run well, the QB can pick up yardage and slide, or duck out of bounds. The whole point is to get the ball carrier in space. People always think about Griffin getting hurt, but that was not a contact play, and was more due to his recklessness and the terrible field conditions. Watch the Seahawks/Bills game from last season; Wilson ran all over the Bills, and hardly got touched.

Second, most of us around here agree that Luck is a better passer than Griffin, Kaepernick and Wilson. Not to take anything away from them; I think they'll all be really good QBs. But Luck's grasp of a pro-style offense and his ability to stand in the pocket and make all the throws seems to have set him apart in the minds of many. Yet, those other guys had superior efficiency numbers to Luck. They had higher completion percentages and better passer ratings and QBRs. None of those stats are conclusive, but it seems quite obvious that the offensive schemes they played in helped them to produce. So, if a "gimmick" wrinkle can help make an inferior QB more efficient, why would we close our superior QB off from some of those wrinkles? 

No one wants to see Luck turned into a glorified running back. He's not Tim Tebow. But he's more athletic than he's given credit for, and he has a monstrous frame (he's literally built like a linebacker). If we can make life easier for him by calling some designed QB runs, even if they are a little gimmicky, what's wrong with that? It keeps the defense honest by making our attack more multiple, it can give the running backs more space, and it will tire out opposing defenses, especially pass rushers. We're not going to be zone read / option offense, of course. Luck will stand in the pocket and throw the ball. But on occasion, a little flavor to our offense is going to be a good thing.

I can see maybe some QB draw plays and of course the QB sneak to get short yardage.  But I don't want see him going on too many option plays or anything like that.  

I have a feeling because of his size, speed, and mentality he's gonna end up taking more hits then Manning did because Manning was basically trying to get rid of the ball so he didn't get hit while Luck will take off for those yards if he feels he can get them.  I just don't want to see him busted up.  

I can see maybe some QB draw plays and of course the QB sneak to get short yardage.  But I don't want see him going on too many option plays or anything like that.  

I have a feeling because of his size, speed, and mentality he's gonna end up taking more hits then Manning did because Manning was basically trying to get rid of the ball so he didn't get hit while Luck will take off for those yards if he feels he can get them.  I just don't want to see him busted up.  

It's still football. With his size, he can take a hit every now and then. I don't want to see him play recklessly. He slides, he ducks out of bounds. All smart play. And the standard option play does leave the QB open for more contact, so I doubt we'll use that. 

But I get the feeling that the first time the offense lines up in the Pistol formation, this board is going to have a meltdown. Never mind that the Pistol is just a formation, or that just because the QB keeps the ball it doesn't mean he's going to get hit. I just disagree with the preliminary angst over adding a few wrinkles to the offense, especially if those wrinkles can help us get yards and points.

It's still football. With his size, he can take a hit every now and then. I don't want to see him play recklessly. He slides, he ducks out of bounds. All smart play. And the standard option play does leave the QB open for more contact, so I doubt we'll use that.

I would venture to guess the vast majority of the time, the hits people like Griffin took while running could be attributed to playing reckless as you said - especially since all the really big hits were on scrambles and not designed runs. I don't believe Luck will have that problem if put in the same position.

--not an RG3 vs Luck post, just saying Luck would likely use better judgement. Hopefully RG3 improves there cuz he's fun to watch.

all that being said, I don't see the colts really having Luck run much outside of the occasional short yardage dive. He's much better off using his arm and scrambling when need be.

Unpredictability is sometimes a offenses best weapon. And when that unpredictability is paired with talent, you get a tremendous offensive juggernaut. For years the Colts would run the exact same offense but simply had the better talent. However, once that talent wained in the later years, the offense wasnt as explosive as it was before. The Colts did very little to compensate for the lack of talent end later on, eventually leading to the complete collapse in 2011. Now though, the Colts are installing both of these facets into their offense.

Let's be real here. There is no way Luck is going to be out there running pistol formations at the same frequency that the Redskins or even the 49ers. I'd say maybe 5-9% of the plays calls per game would feature these type of plays. Pep is leaving all options on the table for this years offense given Lucks ability to do pretty much anything.

Some of the things Pep has said is coaches speak but I believe people will get a much better idea of how this offense will be come training camp. I can't wait.

Unpredictability is sometimes a offenses best weapon. And when that unpredictability is paired with talent, you get a tremendous offensive juggernaut. For years the Colts would run the exact same offense but simply had the better talent. However, once that talent wained in the later years, the offense wasnt as explosive as it was before. The Colts did very little to compensate for the lack of talent end later on, eventually leading to the complete collapse in 2011. Now though, the Colts are installing both of these facets into their offense.

Let's be real here. There is no way Luck is going to be out there running pistol formations at the same frequency that the Redskins or even the 49ers. I'd say maybe 5-9% of the plays calls per game would feature these type of plays. Pep is leaving all options on the table for this years offense given Lucks ability to do pretty much anything.

Some of the things Pep has said is coaches speak but I believe people will get a much better idea of how this offense will be come training camp. I can't wait.

Why wouldn't the Colts run the pistol more often than that?

But I get the feeling that the first time the offense lines up in the Pistol formation, this board is going to have a meltdown. Never mind that the Pistol is just a formation, or that just because the QB keeps the ball it doesn't mean he's going to get hit. I just disagree with the preliminary angst over adding a few wrinkles to the offense, especially if those wrinkles can help us get yards and points.

I don't care if he lines up in the pistol, the shotgun, or the sniper rifle.  Just as long as he doesn't expose himself to big hits anymore then necessary.

I don't think we are a playoff team with Hasselback at QB.  I like him and think he's one of the best backups in the league, but I'd like to keep the clipboard in his hands.  

I wouldn't mind the Pistol formation at all. And I can bet we'll see it this season. But Pagano saud he wouldn't allow Luck to run the Read Option but how do we know for sure that he won't?

Gonna be interesting to watch this offense

Nice article, based on Nevada and Chris Ault's Pistol stuff. None of these examples are QB keepers, they just highlight the advantages for the running back, and how play action gets set up as well. It's just another formation, with its own advantages and disadvantages.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/05/pistol-formation-could-be-chiefs-not-so-secret-weapon-on-offense/?sct=uk_t11_a4

I utilize the Pistol quite a bit in NCAA on my PS3. It keeps the defense guessing. Some defenses automatically assume run and I beat them deep on playaction passes.

But like Superman said, it's just like any other formation. It has it's advantages & disadvantages

Why wouldn't the Colts run the pistol more often than that?

Because there isn't a need to. The Pistol offense is a great college offense that has seen limited success in the NFL. Teams that have over used it (Redskins mainly) have had their QBs take unnecessary hits that lead to injury. The 49ers used it less than the Redskins and in a different way, resulting in less QB hits and more success.

Not to mention Luck is a great 3,5,7 step and shotgun passer. He has no limitations that would require the usage of the Pistol offense other than for sake of offensive variation.

Because there isn't a need to. The Pistol offense is a great college offense that has seen limited success in the NFL. Teams that have over used it (Redskins mainly) have had their QBs take unnecessary hits that lead to injury. The 49ers used it less than the Redskins and in a different way, resulting in less QB hits and more success.

Not to mention Luck is a great 3,5,7 step and shotgun passer. He has no limitations that would require the usage of the Pistol offense other than for sake of offensive variation.

The Pistol isn't an offense or a scheme. It's just a formation, a hybrid of the shotgun and I formation. Its main benefit is to get the running back moving vertical toward the line of scrimmage, while giving the quarterback a better view of the defense. Has very little to do with the QBs drop or ability out of shotgun. And if it's primarily used as a running formation, it's not going to lead to more QB hits.

I thought you might say that. You should read superman's link up above

While Bruce Arian's was great for this team and helped this team stay focused with the Pagano situation, his play calling was bad. It had no balanced and consisted of deep long developing pass plays behind a horrible defensive line. 27% of Luck's passes where beyond 15 yards or more. That's 3rd highest in the league and Luck had a higher amount of attempts then #1 and #2 so he threw the most deep ball passes in the league; as a rookie. That's absurd. Luckily Luck was able to still able to be successful and have a huge impact despite his raw numbers not being as good. Reuniting with Pep Hamilton will be very beneficial for Luck. Familiarity is always a plus and with his plans to run the ball more and having Ahmad Bradshaw, I expect Luck to have a way better season then last year.