Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we do let DB go and you like Kerwynn Williams, take a look at Dri Archer

chad72

My goodness, he makes fast guys look slow, this is like watching a faster version of T.Y.Hilton but in the form of an RB, Dri Archer, Kent State. I hope Grigson snags this guy next year.

Speed kills, especially with wheels like those!!! :)

Dri Archer accounted for 39.84% of Kent State's total yardage and 45.28% of their touchdowns from from special teams and offense.

As blazing fast as he is Im more impressed with his balance, He looks impressive, Has good change of direction ability and does good reading his blocks in that footage...I do got a question on why he missed 13 games in his career, He suffered a knee injury the bowl game they were in last year, I wonder how he bounces back from it

What makes you count Donald Brown out already? Who's to say with this new offense he doesn't perform very well and Grigson re-signs him?

It's not likely.  A former first rounder who at most has been a decent spell back.  He'll probably want to find a place where he has a chance to contribute more and get paid more.  I strongly doubt that is here.

Boyett has more talent then his draft position would indicate. He likely would have been a 3rd round draft choice if not for his injury.

regardless bethea has been consistent back there. never misses games and is one of our best players along with only being 28.

And what round was Bethea drafted again?

I was going to say the some thing, you beat me to it!!! It all depends on how things unfold on the field. We were fine to let (was it Mike Doss???) our previous safety go once Bethea joined Sanders in the fold as a sixth round pick and exceeded expectations on the field in his rookie year. :)

I was going to say the some thing, you beat me to it!!! It all depends on how things unfold on the field. We were fine to let (was it Mike Doss???) our previous safety go once Bethea joined Sanders in the fold as a sixth round pick and exceeded expectations on the field in his rookie year. :)

You know what they say about great minds . . . they like to think (I'm pretty sure that's it). And, you are correct, Mike Doss was Bethea's predecessor.

why mess up a secondary when we worked so hard to fix it

I'll answer a few of your replies to my post that you responded to.

1) First of all I said it was no "given " that we would resign him. You implied that it was and answering me with "do I want to replace him with a 6th round pick , is not what I'd call a stellar retort. How do I know how Boyden will work out ? I'm assuming that's what you meant by that ? My answer to that is we could sign another FS next year or draft one.

2) I'm not saying don't resign him , just saying that it's a pretty decent (IMO) possibility we don't. Generally 3rd contracts for defensive backs are not the greatest investments a team can make and I'll pretty much guarantee if Bethea is looking for big money in the contract carrying him into his mid 30's , he won't get it. NE is a pretty good model of a smart team and they constantly let better secondary talent than Bethea walk after their first contract , let alone the second one.

3) There was nothing special about his play last year and I don't think not resigning him would necessary "mess up our secondary." 

I'll answer a few of your replies to my post that you responded to.

1) First of all I said it was no "given " that we would resign him. You implied that it was and answering me with "do I want to replace him with a 6th round pick , is not what I'd call a stellar retort. How do I know how Boyden will work out ? I'm assuming that's what you meant by that ? My answer to that is we could sign another FS next year or draft one.

2) I'm not saying don't resign him , just saying that it's a pretty decent (IMO) possibility we don't. Generally 3rd contracts for defensive backs are not the greatest investments a team can make and I'll pretty much guarantee if Bethea is looking for big money in the contract carrying him into his mid 30's , he won't get it. NE is a pretty good model of a smart team and they constantly let better secondary talent than Bethea walk after their first contract , let alone the second one.

3) There was nothing special about his play last year and I don't think not resigning him would necessary "mess up our secondary." 

bethea play hasnt declined. the guy is still making 100 tackles a season. if your talking about not having an ints in two years thats because of what hes being asked to do which is play in the box instead of playing coverage.

bethea play hasnt declined. the guy is still making 100 tackles a season. if your talking about not having an ints in two years thats because of what hes being asked to do which is play in the box instead of playing coverage.

Unfortunately Bethea played pretty poor last season. He missed tons of tackles and gave up a ton of yards in coverage.

Unfortunately Bethea played pretty poor last season. He missed tons of tackles and gave up a ton of yards in coverage.

How many tackles? How many yards in coverage? For the record I dont necessarily disagree but he was playing without any Corners until Davis and Butler finally decided to show up over half way through the season and he played a whole season without a SS next to him, Considering 75 of his 100 tackles we solo tackles and he had 2 sacks I'd say he had a good year, He also had 7 pass deflections

How many tackles? How many yards in coverage? For the record I dont necessarily disagree but he was playing without any Corners until Davis and Butler finally decided to show up over half way through the season and he played a whole season without a SS next to him, Considering 75 of his 100 tackles we solo tackles and he had 2 sacks I'd say he had a good year, He also had 7 pass deflections

He had 10 missed tackles in the run game (4th worst among safeties) and his YPCA jumped from 9.3 to 16.8.

Hopefully these numbers improve next season with a better front 7 and secondary.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/27/performance-based-value-indianapolis-colts/

He had 10 missed tackles in the run game (4th worst among safeties) and his YPCA jumped from 9.3 to 16.8.

Hopefully these numbers improve next season with a better front 7 and secondary.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/27/performance-based-value-indianapolis-colts/

Good stuff, My next question would be about those 10 tackles, when did they occur

There were other safties who performed well with bad pass rushing. Eric Weddle as an example. Jarius Byrd. Devin McCourty.

those are all coverage safeties who never come down. bethea plays in the box which is not his game. when he was asked to play a ed reed type of role on our defense he excelled. now that we have landry to do that bethea can go back to playing center field.

those are all coverage safeties who never come down. bethea plays in the box which is not his game. when he was asked to play a ed reed type of role on our defense he excelled. now that we have landry to do that bethea can go back to playing center field.

I agree. Landry played almost exclusively in the box last season and was pretty darn good there. Hopefully Bethea can go back tonhis natural role of a roamer.

I agree with DW and Dustin that there is a good chance that we do not re-sign Bethea, but I'm not buying the "he had a bad year last season" argument... on this, I'm more aligned with Gavin's train of thought...

He was in a new scheme last season and was the only solid performer in the entire secondary most of the season... There was obvious confusion on many plays that I noticed and I have to think that a good amount of this was due to players being in the wrong place.. Bethea is a solid player, and only 28, but I think that his production can be nearly replaced at a much lower cost... if not by Boyett, then by a draftee next year... The only way I see him being re-signed is if he offers Grigs a substantial hometown discount and has a very good season.

I like Donald Brown more than a lot of the fans on the forum, but there is practically no chance that he is a Colt after next season... Think about it... If he has another typical DB season and shows flashes, but misses time due to injury, he will be gone due to his ineffectiveness. On the flip-side, If he balls out and has a great year behind our new line, he will price himself out. Even if he plays all 16 games, he still couldn't be considered "durable" by any means and RB production is just too easy and cheap to replace in today's NFL to pay for a guy coming off of his rookie contract unless the guy is a freak of nature like AP who can probably run behind any line and in any situation...

The kid in the highlights is lightening quick... I wonder about those injuries, but the highlights make it look like he can find a role on any team... with wheels like that, I'd have no trouble drafting him (but never a RB in the 1st) and making him the new return guy.....

I agree with DW and Dustin that there is a good chance that we do not re-sign Bethea, but I'm not buying the "he had a bad year last season" argument... on this, I'm more aligned with Gavin's train of thought...

He was in a new scheme last season and was the only solid performer in the entire secondary most of the season... There was obvious confusion on many plays that I noticed and I have to think that a good amount of this was due to players being in the wrong place.. Bethea is a solid player, and only 28, but I think that his production can be nearly replaced at a much lower cost... if not by Boyett, then by a draftee next year... The only way I see him being re-signed is if he offers Grigs a substantial hometown discount and has a very good season.

I like Donald Brown more than a lot of the fans on the forum, but there is practically no chance that he is a Colt after next season... Think about it... If he has another typical DB season and shows flashes, but misses time due to injury, he will be gone due to his ineffectiveness. On the flip-side, If he balls out and has a great year behind our new line, he will price himself out. Even if he plays all 16 games, he still couldn't be considered "durable" by any means and RB production is just too easy and cheap to replace in today's NFL to pay for a guy coming off of his rookie contract unless the guy is a freak of nature like AP who can probably run behind any line and in any situation...

The kid in the highlights is lightening quick... I wonder about those injuries, but the highlights make it look like he can find a role on any team... with wheels like that, I'd have no trouble drafting him (but never a RB in the 1st) and making him the new return guy.....

I didn't say he played "poorly" last year. I said his play was "nothing special" which I meant to mean "OK."  Safeties and TE's are the least paid position players in the league ( Bethea is about 6 mill per year) and IMO , his play warrants nowhere near this kind of cap hit. What I think probably happens is he's offered something much lower. If you go by how these kind of situations usually work out , Bethea and his agent will think the offer is low and will test the market. As we all know , it's pretty unusual that they end up returning after turning down the offer. My point isn't to knock Bethea , I was just saying that resigning him is not an "automatic" as the poster had declared. In fact if I had to bet one way or the other , I would probably bet against. No knock intended on Antoine , just how I think it plays out next year. 

Also I realize he is not old , but he will be 30 years old ( July 2014) when he starts his next contract and big 4 year deal contract would mean either paying him big at age 33 and 34 or taking a probable large cap hit. IMO , to pay big money for just a solid FS entering his 3rd contract , is not something a smart GM is going to do. If Bethea realizes this and wants to stay in Indy , he'll have to forego a shot at another big contract.