Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Things To Come From Manning's Absence

18Manning

Not to mention we are going to have a high draft pick to address some real needs (my guess would be a WR to be groomed to replace Reggie or a play making cornerback). We could also very well be playing a lesser schedule. Although we have the AFC East and the NFC North on the schedule next year so we wont get many breaks there but it would be nice to play say the Broncos or KC again vs. the Chargers and the Browns or Bengals vs. the Steelers or Ravens. Frankly this team right now is a cornerback and QB away from being a Super Bowl team. We could address both of those needs next year and if we do we are going to be right back in the Super Bowl mix.

Not to mention we are going to have a high draft pick to address some real needs (my guess would be a WR to be groomed to replace Reggie or a play making cornerback). We could also very well be playing a lesser schedule. Although we have the AFC East and the NFC North on the schedule next year so we wont get many breaks there but it would be nice to play say the Broncos or KC again vs. the Chargers and the Browns or Bengals vs. the Steelers or Ravens. Frankly this team right now is a cornerback and QB away from being a Super Bowl team. We could address both of those needs next year and if we do we are going to be right back in the Super Bowl mix.

I can't wait for next year!

It will force the FO to evaluate talent with less emphasis on Manning as a the whole of the team, I like the direction, if Peyton's nerves regenerate, if not, than I hope we get Luck.

I agree i posted that somewhere yesterday,we now have to build a team with the thought that if peyton is not here we can still compete.Even our defense is built with manning in mind that has to change.

So so true. If Manning was healthy now and has the current D and run game, we could go 19-0.

I think too many here are forgetting how many people will need new contracts next season. We have priority in Mathis and Wayne then we have garçon. Now for others guys like Anderson and brayton who have seemingly helped that run defense, they will want more money next year one would think. This team needs to get one of these young cb's to pan out to allow us more flexibility in the draft. Don't just assume this is going to be the same improved defense next season because we have some players to resign first.

I think too many here are forgetting how many people will need new contracts next season. We have priority in Mathis and Wayne then we have garçon. Now for others guys like Anderson and brayton who have seemingly helped that run defense, they will want more money next year one would think. This team needs to get one of these young cb's to pan out to allow us more flexibility in the draft. Don't just assume this is going to be the same improved defense next season because we have some players to resign first.

The Defense as a group can't be much worse than recent years. If we can come out of this with an average defense and average runnning game, we'll be improved. Again, assuming we get a healty Peyton back next year.

I'm with you dude.

A small bit of consolation is the fact that the Red Sox "crashed and burned" this year.

That was absolutely beautiful wasnt it? The only thing that would have been better is if the Cards had charged all the way back to blow it on the last day.....darn Braves.

1) Our young line is gaining valuable experience in the NFL and not putting Manning at risk since he is already out. I would really like to see Ijalana start to get some experience. If we do not beat KC/Cincy I have a feeling the feeling of a lost season will start to creep into the coaching staff. They might sub in Ijalana to see what they got in their 2nd round pick

2) We have already improved our run blocking which is huge. This will make defenses more suspect to our play-action pass when Manning returns

3) With the obvious decline in passing, our receivers will not receive a lot of their bonuses that revolved around stats. That will save the organization some money

4) Our defense is learning to not play with the lead. They are having to carry the team, which is making us a more complete team. We can now stop the run. Honestly, I've never had so much fun watching the Colts defense as I have this season.

5) Our young secondary can get some experience. This gives our front office to evaluate them fairly so that we know what positions to address in the draft. I have high expectations for Lefeged. I would like to see Rucker get some experience as well. Even if Bullitt and Bracket return return next year, their backups will have a lot of valuable experience, so we should be a lot deeper at those positions than we were going into this years season.

6) As mentioned earlier, we will have 2 much much easier games than we would have if we got 1st in the division. I am assuming we will get fourth in our division. That means we will be matched up with two other teams that got fourth in their division this season. That's a difference in playing Cincy and KC as opposed to Pit and SD. That will be a big help when forming tie-breakers and standings for the playoffs next year

7) The draft. We should be able to get the top prospect at whatever position we need the most. That will help fill in a glaring hole on our team. Not to mention, our second round pick will only be a few picks away from where we are used to picking in the first round.

This season might be a blessing in disguise for these reasons! GO :coltslogo:

this is off topic, but wow just read ur thread and remember that the AFC East plays the AFC South next year . . . so the pats will be playing the colts next year regardless of their seedings this year, cool . . . and in '08, the one year since '03 the two teams did not win the division, they both were #2 in the division . . . so next year will be 10 years of playing head to head, that might be a record for non divisional teams . . . regardless it is a fun ride . . .

I agree with many of you guys, but at the same time no one really knows how Peyton will be health wise. If you have guys like Luck, Landry, Barkley coming out to the NFL this year (if they decide not to play their senior year) I think the Colts should snag one if they have a very high pick. All those guys are big, strong, and have nice arms, accuracy and seem smart. I think Manning could come back and play for 2-3 more years, but we have no way of knowing what his situation will be (Right now). Don't forget Aaron Rodgers was projected and even thought himself he might go high in the first round and didn't. Drafted in 2005 he didn't start until 2008 and I have confidence Manning will come back but not play for 4 years like many think. I personally think Manning will play for 2-3 years then perhaps have a job in the NFL as a coach, perhaps an OC.

The point is I think it would be better for the Colts to get a solid future prospect now and have plenty of time to be groomed by Manning, opposed to having a less talented pick to be with much less time to be groomed by Manning. I'm not saying guys like Moore wouldn't be bad, someone even mentioned Griffin out of Baylor would be nice or Foles out of Az. It would still take at-least a year for players to develop into top notch players regardless of any position. I think Drake Nevis will be a stud btw and I even have confidence Lefeged could develope into a great player - build alittle more muscle.

I think we will be better as a team when Manning comes back next year. We were so used to depending on him to bail us out of so many situations and mask our inconsistancies. Life without Manning is a cruel lesson for both Colt fans and management. But a necessary lesson that should help us take the next step to winning another superbowl next year. Without Manning already we have new leaders in Pat Angerer who looks great by the way; I know its onlt been 3 games but I cant remember when the Colts D got this much of a pass rush and played Run D this well. You combine a year of growing pains and experience we will be very dangerous when Manning returns to form next year.

I agree i posted that somewhere yesterday,we now have to build a team with the thought that if peyton is not here we can still compete.Even our defense is built with manning in mind that has to change.

This used to be true but I don't think it is anymore. Since Caldwell and Coyer took over, the team has made drastic improvements to increase the size and strength of the front 7. Size-wise, the team much more closely resembles the Tampa SB defense and that defense was definitely not built to play with a lead. lol

I like Moore, but his best fit will be a backup. Seriously the guy is 5'10 at best and has a noodle arm. He is not franchise QB material.

I agree. I have nothing against the guy and he definitely seems like the kind of guy that you just want to root for but in all honesty, I just think he has too much to overcome and it will take an incredibly perfect fit for him to become a starter and be successful.

I agree with many of you guys, but at the same time no one really knows how Peyton will be health wise. If you have guys like Luck, Landry, Barkley coming out to the NFL this year (if they decide not to play their senior year) I think the Colts should snag one if they have a very high pick. All those guys are big, strong, and have nice arms, accuracy and seem smart. I think Manning could come back and play for 2-3 more years, but we have no way of knowing what his situation will be (Right now). Don't forget Aaron Rodgers was projected and even thought himself he might go high in the first round and didn't. Drafted in 2005 he didn't start until 2008 and I have confidence Manning will come back but not play for 4 years like many think. I personally think Manning will play for 2-3 years then perhaps have a job in the NFL as a coach, perhaps an OC.

The point is I think it would be better for the Colts to get a solid future prospect now and have plenty of time to be groomed by Manning, opposed to having a less talented pick to be with much less time to be groomed by Manning. I'm not saying guys like Moore wouldn't be bad, someone even mentioned Griffin out of Baylor would be nice or Foles out of Az. It would still take at-least a year for players to develop into top notch players regardless of any position. I think Drake Nevis will be a stud btw and I even have confidence Lefeged could develope into a great player - build alittle more muscle.

The Aaron Rogers example doesn't support your premise that the Colts should take a QB with an early First Round pick. Rogers lasted deep into the first round. I think an early 1st Rounder should not sit more than one season. With Luck being the consesus prize in this draft (the best QB prospect in a decade or more according to many), trade down and get multiple picks if the Colts get the first pick. You mentioned RG III from Baylor. He might be a good candidate to learn for a season or two under Peyton. I like Tyler Bray in the 2013 draft even better. Moreover, I think Luck will expect to start by the mid-point of his rookie season. I don't think Landry Jones will be a good NFL QB. I'm not sure he is a good college QB without the Oklahoma talent around him.

The Aaron Rogers example doesn't support your premise that the Colts should take a QB with an early First Round pick. Rogers lasted deep into the first round. I think an early 1st Rounder should not sit more than one season. With Luck being the consesus prize in this draft (the best QB prospect in a decade or more according to many), trade down and get multiple picks if the Colts get the first pick. You mentioned RG III from Baylor. He might be a good candidate to learn for a season or two under Peyton. I like Tyler Bray in the 2013 draft even better. Moreover, I think Luck will expect to start by the mid-point of his rookie season. I don't think Landry Jones will be a good NFL QB. I'm not sure he is a good college QB without the Oklahoma talent around him.

I actually question the same thing about Luck to be honest. Not saying he's not a good Qb, but how good would he still be without a running game that piles up over 200 yards per game and 3 Jason Whitten like TE's but I digress. Honestly this is one of the reasons I've been so high on Nick Foles. He has a remarkably terrible team around him, no consistent running game, only 1 WR who's name anyone would recognize and even he pretty much laid an egg in the USC game but Arizona was still within a TD of the game. Foles hit like 11 different receivers that game. yes there were 2 picks but the first was 100% not his fault. The second I'll put on him even though it was probably only 50/50 his fault...his TE slowed up on the route.