Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PreSeason Game in Deutschland

LUCKy

With Warner being from Berlin and Luck living in Frankfurt I think we have an awesome opportunity to expand the Colts to parts of Europe.  I mean our top star speaks German and if they see a fellow German in Werner playing our sport it should really draw them in to being a Colts fan.  I would compare it to all the college fans we get here when a player joins the colts.  Dallas can be America's team and we will be the World's Team!  Anyways, seems like a good way to expand the Colts, introduce Indiana to the world and drop some more coin into Mr Irsay's pocket...

Is this definite or is it a rumor...?

Did you read the OP? It's pure conjecture on the part of one member.

Personally it does nothing for me. The NFL is darn near perfect right now, and the efforts to expand it are an annoying slippery slope. It may well make more money for some, but does nothing for the average fan. What is the point exactly?

Luck would definitely be a good spokesman in Germany.  However, if Werner is able to produce for the Colts then most of Germany would feel a deeper connection of national pride.   I see nothing wrong with expanding coverage, as long as all teams stay in North America.

In all honesty, Mexico City deserves a team before any other city outside the U.S.  They could easily avg. over 100,000 fans. 

I'm not a fan of overseas games at all. It's a good thought and it's nice to allow others in other countries to experience the NFL but it's too much of a strain on the players. It's bad enough playing on the west coast and then having to fly to the east coast with a 3 hour time difference.

It would be nice if there were more Colts fans in Europe even though, like people above said, it wouldn't do much for the Colts fans here, perhaps only for Jim Irsay's or NFL's pockets. There are way too many Patriots fans right now, at least in eastern Europe with which I am more familiar.

Personally it does nothing for me. The NFL is darn near perfect right now, and the efforts to expand it are an annoying slippery slope. It may well make more money for some, but does nothing for the average fan. What is the point exactly?

:facepalm:

You should use the quote feature if you are going to disparage someones remarks. Actually responses are good too.

I understand that you are from New Zealand and perhaps have a different perspective on this, so let me expound a bit. I am fascinated by the diversity in this world and enthusiastically welcome foreign fans to this site. I'm delighted by their enthusiasm for the NFL. By the way, I had multiple friends from New Zealand in the 70's, and tend to quietly pull for the All Blacks at least in perusing box scores.  I used to watch Australian Rules Football on ESPN, and actively attempted to develop a rooting interest, and I've got active international interests in soccer as well. Rooting abroad goes both ways. This has nothing to do with US arrogance or ignorance.

However the NFL is perfectly balanced now in number of teams, number of games and playoff structure. It just flat out works - better than any sports league I've ever followed aside from perhaps baseball before they added the wild card. My response to this thread is in response to fact that the NFL's interest in Europe is clearly about expanding the league. As owners of a for profit entity, they just can't leave well enough alone. They are just going to keep on changing it until it doesn't work anymore. I enjoy following the UK Premier League (amongst others) but my goal is to enjoy it THERE, in place, where it is, how it works now. My goal isn't for them to put a team in Chicago. The visceral thrill comes from observing and learning about another culture, not grabbing it and altering it. Perhaps the OP wasn't  suggesting that directly, but when he talks about "preseason game in Germany" and "putting money in Mr Irsay's pocket" that's what I think of. The annual game in London is obviously just a feeler that they will push as far as possible. They won't be happy until there are so many teams in the league that the average fan won't support a Super Bowl winner in their lifetime. And that's not even talking about time differences, talent dilution, and all the rest. Why in Gods name would I consider any of that an improvement?

It wouldn't hurt to have another game in Europe.. 

As a Colts fan living there, it's extremly difficult to watch every game, since they are starting at 2 AM over here..   :sleepy:

It's very easy to watch every Colts game when living in Europe. I've missed about 3 Colts games in the last 5 years. Where there is a will, there is a way......

It's very easy to watch every Colts game when living in Europe. I've missed about 3 Colts games in the last 5 years. Where there is a will, there is a way......

Seriously. Your getting up at 2 am to watch the game. You missed 3 in 5 years. I suppose you call yourself a fan. :hmm:  :thmup:  I joke, I joke................or do I :dunno: ?

Completely agree Braveheart. Staying up on Mon mornings until 4:30am to watch Colts and being up again 3 hours later for work is how I show my love for the Colts. Or indeed most Sun night games from the NFL

You should use the quote feature if you are going to disparage someones remarks. Actually responses are good too.

I understand that you are from New Zealand and perhaps have a different perspective on this, so let me expound a bit. I am fascinated by the diversity in this world and enthusiastically welcome foreign fans to this site. I'm delighted by their enthusiasm for the NFL. By the way, I had multiple friends from New Zealand in the 70's, and tend to quietly pull for the All Blacks at least in perusing box scores. I used to watch Australian Rules Football on ESPN, and actively attempted to develop a rooting interest, and I've got active international interests in soccer as well. Rooting abroad goes both ways. This has nothing to do with US arrogance or ignorance.

However the NFL is perfectly balanced now in number of teams, number of games and playoff structure. It just flat out works - better than any sports league I've ever followed aside from perhaps baseball before they added the wild card. My response to this thread is in response to fact that the NFL's interest in Europe is clearly about expanding the league. As owners of a for profit entity, they just can't leave well enough alone. They are just going to keep on changing it until it doesn't work anymore. I enjoy following the UK Premier League (amongst others) but my goal is to enjoy it THERE, in place, where it is, how it works now. My goal isn't for them to put a team in Chicago. The visceral thrill comes from observing and learning about another culture, not grabbing it and altering it. Perhaps the OP wasn't suggesting that directly, but when he talks about "preseason game in Germany" and "putting money in Mr Irsay's pocket" that's what I think of. The annual game in London is obviously just a feeler that they will push as far as possible. They won't be happy until there are so many teams in the league that the average fan won't support a Super Bowl winner in their lifetime. And that's not even talking about time differences, talent dilution, and all the rest. Why in Gods name would I consider any of that an improvement?

I started reading with all kinds of intent to disagree... but I think you are right.

I've been an advocate for promoting the NFL brand worldwide, but Goodell's intent is assuredly not just about selling merchandise. Further expansion of number of teams, games, or playoff schedule is a BIG mistake, IMO. Especially with the logistical difficulties of intercontinental travel thrown in.

I understand that you are from New Zealand and perhaps have a different perspective on this, so let me expound a bit. I am fascinated by the diversity in this world and enthusiastically welcome foreign fans to this site. I'm delighted by their enthusiasm for the NFL. By the way, I had multiple friends from New Zealand in the 70's, and tend to quietly pull for the All Blacks at least in perusing box scores.  I used to watch Australian Rules Football on ESPN, and actively attempted to develop a rooting interest, and I've got active international interests in soccer as well. Rooting abroad goes both ways. This has nothing to do with US arrogance or ignorance.

However the NFL is perfectly balanced now in number of teams, number of games and playoff structure. It just flat out works - better than any sports league I've ever followed aside from perhaps baseball before they added the wild card. My response to this thread is in response to fact that the NFL's interest in Europe is clearly about expanding the league. As owners of a for profit entity, they just can't leave well enough alone. They are just going to keep on changing it until it doesn't work anymore. I enjoy following the UK Premier League (amongst others) but my goal is to enjoy it THERE, in place, where it is, how it works now. My goal isn't for them to put a team in Chicago. The visceral thrill comes from observing and learning about another culture, not grabbing it and altering it. Perhaps the OP wasn't  suggesting that directly, but when he talks about "preseason game in Germany" and "putting money in Mr Irsay's pocket" that's what I think of. The annual game in London is obviously just a feeler that they will push as far as possible. They won't be happy until there are so many teams in the league that the average fan won't support a Super Bowl winner in their lifetime. And that's not even talking about time differences, talent dilution, and all the rest. Why in Gods name would I consider any of that an improvement?

I started reading with all kinds of intent to disagree... but I think you are right.

What Schwamm said. ;)

And this coming from a Dane who has an easy opportunity each year to go to London to watch football.

Luck would definitely be a good spokesman in Germany.  However, if Werner is able to produce for the Colts then most of Germany would feel a deeper connection of national pride.   I see nothing wrong with expanding coverage, as long as all teams stay in North America.

In all honesty, Mexico City deserves a team before any other city outside the U.S.  They could easily avg. over 100,000 fans. 

The Mexico City Cartels... Face it that the only good name.

As a Colts fan living there, it's extremly difficult to watch every game, since they are starting at 2 AM over here..   :sleepy:

Since when was sleep a priority over watching the Colts?

I'm not interested in any expansion either, but I'm selfishly enjoying the Wembley games. WIth the Jags playing 4 home games over the next 4 seasons, they are certainly trying to drum up local interest. There are 2 Wembley games this year (Jax v SF & Vikes v Steelers), and I'm just going to the one. I'd rather be at home watching the Colts live on my laptop! 

The whole Europe 'time lag thing' is getting a bit tiresome though. When the Patriots(?) went to the West Coast last season, their travel time was roughly the same as when they went to London.  

It may make money for some.

^...............................|

|...............................|

|..............................v

What is the point exactly?

I am all for International recognition, but if the NFL wants to expand in overseas markets they need to first get the games airred on international television programming, somehow, and that is somewhat of a catch 22 because without more popularity it will be hard to get games airred on TV, and without the games being airred there will be little interest, so on & so forth...

I was in Europe one year during the playoffs and was lucky to find a pub that had the playoff games on sky sports channel, but I don't think all of the playoff games were being airred that year...

anyways...

a pre-season game overseas would be cool, but regular season games should be played in NFL stadiums, in the 32 U.S. cities that are lucky to be home to an NFL team...  

I am all for International recognition, but if the NFL wants to expand in overseas markets they need to first get the games airred on international television programming, somehow, and that is somewhat of a catch 22 because without more popularity it will be hard to get games airred on TV, and without the games being airred there will be little interest, so on & so forth...

I was in Europe one year during the playoffs and was lucky to find a pub that had the playoff games on sky sports channel, but I don't think all of the playoff games were being airred that year...

anyways...

a pre-season game overseas would be cool, but regular season games should be played in NFL stadiums, in the 32 U.S. cities that are lucky to be home to an NFL team...  

All play-offs games are always screened live in the UK, and have been for a long time. One 1pm game, one 4.15/30 game, SNF and MNF and TNF are also screened live every week. Even if the Colts were playing a pre-season game at Wembley, I'm not sure I'd go. Either give us real games or don't bother..... 

All play-offs games are always screened live in the UK, and have been for a long time. One 1pm game, one 4.15/30 game, SNF and MNF and TNF are also screened live every week. Even if the Colts were playing a pre-season game at Wembley, I'm not sure I'd go. Either give us real games or don't bother..... 

Are those games aired on SKY or another channel???

That's cool that so many games are aired in the UK...

I was in Germany during playoff time & found a pub that had the playoff games, but for some reason I thought that I was lucky to see the Colts playoff game because one of the other playoff games wasn't going to be shown on the SKY network...

Anyways, I understand your stance on seeing games, but ultimately games played anywhere outside of the the NFL teams home stadiums sort of dilutes the structure of the schedule etc. (as pointed out in better detail in MAC's above post)...

which part of europe are you from?? i'm from central europe so most games start at 7 pm and 10 pm.. only TNF, SNF and MNF start at 2 am.. 

and as braveheartcolt said, there's always a way ;) no sleep won't kill you.. not watching the colts live might :D

also, for us fans from europe, who have no nfl games on tv, there is a nfl gamepass and a lot of illegal internet streams (not that i use those) ;) cough-cough..