Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No CB or WR drafted

CB's  - Now that we've got a legit front seven, our DB's won't have to try to cover for 5+ seconds if we can get pressure on the QB. 

WR's - Now that we have a legit O-line and ditched the vertical offense, our WR's numbers will be much better with more time to get open and shorter, more efficient passes from Luck. 

No issue with this. Very talented WR corps with Lavon Brazil and the system familiar Griff Whalen adding some solid, yet not supremely talented depth. I love the DHB acquisition and think that Luck will do him wonders. I predict a 1,000 yard season for him, and at CB I believe we'll be fine. Davis came into his own big time down the stretch (Houston game anyone?), Toler WILL be healthy and WILL be effective, and Butler is a solid Nickel. Not issues whatsoever. The improved O-line will make the WRs perform A LOT better anyways.

Vaughn might have got torched but I do think he's a better 4th and potential 3rd cornerback than many, he did make plays and we did win 11 games.

Agreed. Vaughn is fine at the 4. He's just the excuse cornerbackites are currently using. We could have four probowlers and they'd still whine that we needed to draft a CB in round 1 in order to have quality depth. ;/

CB's - Now that we've got a legit front seven, our DB's won't have to try to cover for 5+ seconds if we can get pressure on the QB.

WR's - Now that we have a legit O-line and ditched the vertical offense, our WR's numbers will be much better with more time to get open and shorter, more efficient passes from Luck.

^^^^^ this

Agreed. Vaughn is fine at the 4. He's just the excuse cornerbackites are currently using. We could have four probowlers and they'd still whine that we needed to draft a CB in round 1 in order to have quality depth. ;/

your child like behavior for a grown man is amusing but not quite as amusing as think Vaughn belongs on the field, he compensates for a lack of talent and awareness when the ball comes his way by holding, Obviously to have quality depth at Corner you dont have to draft a Corner in the 1st round but whats humorous is everyone crowning Toler a good #2 Corner, Thats not to say I dont think he is but Im also not gonna go ahead and say he will stick as a #2, Also pass rush and Corners go hand in hand, have no pass rush then your Corners will eventually make a mistake tracking there man, Have 2 Cassius Vaughns starting and your gonna get dinked and dunked down the field at will regardless if you have 4 Reggie Whites lined up on the D Line and a Lawrence Taylor blitzing

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - personal shot

... whats humorous is everyone crowning Toler a good #2 Corner

Spoken like a true cornerbackite. Ryan Grigson & Chuck Pagano OBVIOUSLY have brought him in to play the 2. Just another example of you (and a few others) exalting your feeble comprehension above their knowledge.

Shows how the organization feels about these positions

No, it doesn't. Stop overreacting. Last year we drafted two TEs, two WRs, on RB. This offseason we signed a former 1st round draft pick in DHB and a talented CB in Toler. Those were areas of concern, and they were all addressed. Why? Because Grigson and co. recognized that this year's draft had o-line and d-line as it's strength. Next year's draft has more quality at the skill positions, escpecially in the 1st and 2nd. More elite players. Grigson and co. played it right in this draft.

Everyone wants that flashy WR and CB, but look who'll be there next year.

WR: Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Brandon Coleman, Malcolm Mitchell, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews 

CB: Bradley Roby, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Darqueze Dennard, Purifoy Louchiez, Aaron Colvin

We'll have plenty of talent to choose from in next year's draft if we want to go skill position. 

No, it doesn't. Stop overreacting. Last year we drafted two TEs, two WRs, on RB. This offseason we signed a former 1st round draft pick in DHB and a talented CB in Toler. Those were areas of concern, and they were all addressed. Why? Because Grigson and co. recognized that this year's draft had o-line and d-line as it's strength. Next year's draft has more quality at the skill positions, escpecially in the 1st and 2nd. More elite players. Grigson and co. played it right in this draft.

Everyone wants that flashy WR and CB, but look who'll be there next year.

WR: Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Brandon Coleman, Malcolm Mitchell, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews 

CB: Bradley Roby, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Darqueze Dennard, Purifoy Louchiez, Aaron Colvin

We'll have plenty of talent to choose from in next year's draft if we want to go skill position.

sorry. i didnt explain myself. i was glad they felt these positions werent as needy as other positions. i've heard a lot of people on here say we need a corner or wide receiver in the first round. I didnt believe that. I'm happy about the draft and moves we've made and i am excited about the season.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoting removed post

Shows that many here do not grasp how football works.

My point was to everyone saying we need a wide receiver in early rounds, Grigson knows what he's doing and we have lots of talent. I was positive we would try to find a wide receiver or Corner in UFDA and not worry about the draft after we traded up for hughes.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, April 30, 2013 - quoting removed post

Spoken like a true cornerbackite. Ryan Grigson & Chuck Pagano OBVIOUSLY have brought him in to play the 2. Just another example of you (and a few others) exalting your feeble comprehension above their knowledge.

Of course they brought Toler in to be our #2 thats undebatable but sticking as our number two and being brought in to try and be our #2 is two different things entirely, Cassius Vaught and even Jerraud Powers was our #2 last year at separate points but how did that work out? Im not saying Toler will wind up the same way of course but I have my doubts, Hoping Im way wrong though

Of course they brought Toler in to be our #2 thats undebatable but sticking as our number two and being brought in to try and be our #2 is two different things entirely, Cassius Vaught and even Jerraud Powers was our #2 last year at separate points but how did that work out? Im not saying Toler will wind up the same way of course but I have my doubts, Hoping Im way wrong though

So you acknowledge he is our 2. Then what is your issue with people who do the same?

He might get injured? That's your excuse for harping on a position? Luck getting injured would have a greater impact on the team, so harp on QB depth.

This is all nonsense. You and a few others were OVERWHELMINGLY incorrect in your assessment of needs when it came to the draft.

Stop typing & just deal with it.

So you acknowledge he is our 2. Then what is your issue with people who do the same?

He might get injured? That's your excuse for harping on a position? Luck getting injured would have a greater impact on the team, so harp on QB depth.

This is all nonsense. You and a few others were OVERWHELMINGLY incorrect in your assessment of needs when it came to the draft.

Stop typing & just deal with it.

Not sure where you see the word injured anywhere in my post. Of course he is our #2.Harping on what position? Yes in LAST YEARS draft I did, I dont see where I harped on a position this year. I was open to any position this year outside of QB or Kicker or Punter in the draft, I dont see where I was overwhelmingly incorrect about our needs when I have said in numerous posts that we needed:

1.Another pass rusher

2.change of pace rb in case DB cant stay healthy

3.NT/DE depth

4.FS depth with potential to start

5.Corner depth with Man Cover skills with potential to start down the road

We have all those now in one way or another be it the draft or undrafted FA, 

Also I have no problem with people thinking Toler is our #2 because he is our #2 I just dont see why he will stick long term as our #2. Maybe he will. I would love to eat crow if he does but I dont see it

we brought in like 3 corners at UDFA. 

Also I watched the Presser from Pagano and Grigs and they said something that stuck out to me. Grigs said that everyone we brought in as UDFA's was someone that they wanted to draft, just had a lack of picks to do so. Obviously they're not going to talk down about them but still he was talking them up a lot.

we brought in like 3 corners at UDFA. 

Also I watched the Presser from Pagano and Grigs and they said something that stuck out to me. Grigs said that everyone we brought in as UDFA's was someone that they wanted to draft, just had a lack of picks to do so. Obviously they're not going to talk down about them but still he was talking them up a lot.

Yep....

"Above the Line"

I would suggest it is possible that CB and WR weren't picked, not as some indication that the FO didn't think there was room to improve, but because value at those positions wasn't there at their picks. Just saying.

This team had more holes than a donut shop 13 months ago. If it is now a little thinner than we are comfortable seeing at a couple positions, they have since amassed so much more depth and talent elsewhere than we could have reasonably expected.

I would have liked to have seen either/both positions upgraded, but I don't consider myself either a cornerbackite or wideoutite... I'm a COLTS FAN. And I'm excited about where the team is headed.

We did not see Corner or WR as such a big need, there was an instance or two where a Corner had a higher draft grade then what we picked as well as WR....example: we picked Thornton in the 3rd who had a 67.9 draft grade well just 7 picks later Will Davis with a 71.0 draft grade went to the Dolphins. We also did that in the 5th.......We picked Hughes who had a 68.7 draft grade well at pick 17 in the 5th round Terry Hawthorne (Steelers) had a 69.0 draft grade......Cordarelle Patterson had a 90.6 draft grade but we drafted Werner 88.2.......why? pass rusher was a huge need that was ALSO rated very highly as well