Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collinsworth Giving Colts Some Love

swflacoltsfans

Well it was hard not to notice the colts defense last night, someone better have mentioned it! I feel like we're becoming the Cleveland Cavaliers of the NFL in a way. :(

We're not the Cavaliers of the NFL, there are other stars on this team than Manning. That's basically what Collinsworth was saying that this is a good team but needs more chemistry, timing, and better play from the QB.

Of coarse when Manning was healthy, he was the only reason why the Colts were any good, according to the talking heads, for the most part. Then they would talk about Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Wayne, Bracket, Sanders like they were secret weapons or something.

Well it was hard not to notice the colts defense last night, someone better have mentioned it! I feel like we're becoming the Cleveland Cavaliers of the NFL in a way. :(

The Colts defense was the only reason they were in the game with the momentum changing plays they made. But the facts are they still gave up over 400 yards of offense and when they really needed a stop after the Addai TD, they did not make it.

The Colts defense was the only reason they were in the game with the momentum changing plays they made. But the facts are they still gave up over 400 yards of offense and when they really needed a stop after the Addai TD, they did not make it.

The opportunity was there but Foster looked gassed when he tried to sack Ben in that last series. Even then if they were stopped it would've been a sudden death situation.

The opportunity was there but Foster looked gassed when he tried to sack Ben in that last series. Even then if they were stopped it would've been a sudden death situation.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. No matter how you look at it, giving up 400 yards of offense leaves alot of room for defensive improvement. And no matter if Foster was gassed or not, he & they did not make the plays at the end.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. No matter how you look at it, giving up 400 yards of offense leaves alot of room for defensive improvement. And no matter if Foster was gassed or not, he & they did not make the plays at the end.

Im trying to say the defense was close but they cant do everything. The offense can't stay on the field, of coarse yards allowed is going to go up, the defense is eventually going to fail. It used to be the defense was always on the field because they couldn't get the opponents off the field. Now its because our offense can't stay on the field.

Are blaming the the D for giving up that many yards?

Take into account how many punts the Steelers received and they scored 1 TD offensively.

But I do agree that coverage needs to be better at most times.

Im trying to say the defense was close but they cant do everything. The offense can't stay on the field, of coarse yards allowed is going to go up, the defense is eventually going to fail. It used to be the defense was always on the field because they couldn't get the opponents off the field. Now its because our offense can't stay on the field.

Are blaming the the D for giving up that many yards?

Take into account how many punts the Steelers received and they scored 1 TD offensively.

But I do agree that coverage needs to be better at most times.

I love the way they played, they did a great job at forcing turnovers, stopping the run, pressuring and confusing the QB. Just wreaking overall havoc however the pass coverage play to me was sloppy, and they seemed to kill the Colts on third down even converting some serious 3rd and long plays. Overall I haven't seen the Colts defense play like that for a long time.

When an offense cannot move the ball or consistently gain first downs, the defense will falter. Collins and the inept offense he quarterbacked for, placed too high of a burden on the defense. If we were getting first downs and holding the clock on our side, the defense would not have given up 400+ YDS. Classic cause and effect. Our defense was great last night for what they had been burdened with.

I end up screaming at the TV during most regular broadcasts because the crew is so ignorant about the teams - speaking in frothy generalities which are often inaccurate, outdated or both. I find the Sunday and Monday night broadcasts to be FAR better in every respect. Maybe the top CBS/FOX crew comes close in terms of crew, but obviously not in anything else. So relatively speaking, Collingsworth is smart, funny, and well informed. I have no issue with him and never noticed anything resembling a bias.

That being said, I was actually a bit irritated when he made those comments about the Colts being better at stopping the run, because he made it sound like "these guys" were simply playing better. How do you talk about the improvement without specifically tying it to all of the personnel changes that directly contributed to it. I mean he complimented Anderson, Nevis, and the young linebackers, but it seemed like he didn't do his homework.

I don't get it? Can anyone point specifically toward something Collinsworth has done in the past that has drawn so much ire from fans? Or are you guys just chirping like parrots? Seriously, did he insult your precious team by pointing out an unflattering fact or what? Every game he points out subtleties with an apparent amount of knowledge. His job is not to kiss the rear end of your favorite team. Sometimes the truth hurts, and I think that is why so many here don't like him. We have played a bunch of Sunday night games and in doing so, we have been subject to fair, non-bias critique from the broadcasters. It comes with the territory. The national spotlight will highlight a few flaws. Get some stones people.

I actually like the guy. He seems like a cool cat.

John Gruden, now thats a guy I can't stand. He talks way above the fans heads, always referencing NFL lingo. 99.9% of the viewers have no idea when he says crap like "Thats the X-Y spider left slash taco gibber bibber". Hey John, this isn't the film room, its national TV, think ya might wanna dumb it down a little. If Manning really is "The Sheriff", then he should place you under arrest for being cornier than deer poop.

When an offense cannot move the ball or consistently gain first downs, the defense will falter. Collins and the inept offense he quarterbacked for, placed too high of a burden on the defense. If we were getting first downs and holding the clock on our side, the defense would not have given up 400+ YDS. Classic cause and effect. Our defense was great last night for what they had been burdened with.

Understand the sentiment but 400 yards is 400 yards. Certainly if the offense stays on the field longer, the defensive #'s get better. But Big Ben had nearly 200 yards of passing midway through the 2nd quarter. That ain't too good. Plus when they absolutely had to have a stop, they did not get it done.

They were tired because they were on the field the whole game. had we had any kind of offense they could have had more of a rest.

Was that really collinsworth in the booth last night talking about how the colts D is so much better against the run? He even had kind words about our run blocking.

Guess people are starting to feel bad for the colts situaton.

IMO, it was him gloating knowing that we werent going to be contenders this season.

Understand the sentiment but 400 yards is 400 yards. Certainly if the offense stays on the field longer, the defensive #'s get better. But Big Ben had nearly 200 yards of passing midway through the 2nd quarter. That ain't too good. Plus when they absolutely had to have a stop, they did not get it done.

Most of that was one play. Mike Wallace does this to every opponent, he's a freak.

As well, I blame the scheme for much of it, not the players. They don't decide the scheme. Just like Mathis, who is a terror, being sent on a wild goose chase of a stunt, effectively neutralizing him on several plays via the scheme he was forced to participate in.

Collinsworth = Terrible. Don't let one game of him finally saying the defense is good change your mind. He doesn't like the Colts just like ESPN.

Why is this notion still floating around? The Colts have been one of, if not THE, most marketable teams of the last decade. There is no reason for ESPN to not love the Colts.

Some of the talking heads have long pointed out that this team is Peyton Manning and little else, and I don't know what we've seen this season to disprove that. Without Manning we're 0-3 for the first time in forever. The overwhelming opinion from the media is that Peyton is still the best QB in the NFL.

Collinsworth might not like the Colts, but that makes little difference to me. I just can't stand his voice, and I think he and Al Michaels are an odd pair.

I heard him say this silly thing: "The Colts are trying to prove they can play without Peyton Manning." It was silly, because it was the defense that was playing stellar football, and they do not have to prove anything about Peyton Manning, because they are not on the field when he is. It is the offense that has something to prove, and they are proving just the opposite. Right now they are not good without Peyton Manning. They need to work a little harder at proving they are.

The main area of concern for this team, defensively, has always been our poor run defense. With Manning at the helm, I could care less what the opposing QB is doing. Manning will win that battle 99 times out of...99. When he can't get onto the field, however, because the other team is dinking and running the ball for 10:30, that becomes a problem.

Our defense plays like they did Sunday night with a healthy Peyton Manning? We win by 30.

We are excited because we saw what we wanted to see from our defense: stopping the run and getting constant pressure.

Ben threw a lot of deep balls to a track runner, and some of them worked because Pittsburgh got the ball frequently. Why did they get the ball frequently? Our offense couldn't produce scores and/or first downs. Again, with Manning, Pittsburgh has fewer possessions and they are probably playing from WAY behind.

The main area of concern for this team, defensively, has always been our poor run defense. With Manning at the helm, I could care less what the opposing QB is doing. Manning will win that battle 99 times out of...99. When he can't get onto the field, however, because the other team is dinking and running the ball for 10:30, that becomes a problem.

Our defense plays like they did Sunday night with a healthy Peyton Manning? We win by 30.

We are excited because we saw what we wanted to see from our defense: stopping the run and getting constant pressure.

Ben threw a lot of deep balls to a track runner, and some of them worked because Pittsburgh got the ball frequently. Why did they get the ball frequently? Our offense couldn't produce scores and/or first downs. Again, with Manning, Pittsburgh has fewer possessions and they are probably playing from WAY behind.

Couldn't agree more.

John Gruden, now thats a guy I can't stand. He talks way above the fans heads, always referencing NFL lingo. 99.9% of the viewers have no idea when he says crap like "Thats the X-Y spider left slash taco gibber bibber". Hey John, this isn't the film room, its national TV, think ya might wanna dumb it down a little. If Manning really is "The Sheriff", then he should place you under arrest for being cornier than deer poop.

Agree with your point, but I still find him entertaining. Very likeable guy. Of course his obvious respect for Peyton might affect my perception.

The concept that a more efficient offense keeps the defense off the field and less yards off the scorecard is not lost on me - it makes sense. And they were stellar against the run. They were outstanding on first & second down. But that continual issue of getting off the field on 3rd down was still very much in evidence on Sunday night. And I keep going back to this - the last drive when the absolutely had to have a stop, Big Ben took them down the field.