Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Soooo, the Jets?

MrNLM

Lets assume they trade Revis for the 13th overall selection in the 2013 NFL draft. Lets assume the trade happens on draft day after the Jets pick at the 9th spot. I have a couple questions about what they do with the 9th pick and if it ties into a plan involving the 13th pick. Lets discuss!

We can assume Geno Smith is there at the 9th spot for them to take but, it might be smarter to draft Geno's buddy, Tavon Austin, first seeing as drafting a WR at the 9th spot would be cheaper than a QB... thus making Geno a bit cheaper at the 13th spot.

-OR-

Draft BPA at the 9th spot and draft Revis' replacement with the newly acquired 13th pick... Trufant or Rhodes?

-OR-

Other scenario(give details)

As I see it... if the Jets pull the trigger on Tavon Austin at the 9th spot... this would be a major hit to the Bucs plans on draft day. This could cause the Bucs to pull the trigger on trading for Revis... thus leaving the door wide open to draft Geno Smith. We know very well that TEN(10), SD(11), and MIA(12) won't be drafting a QB. For a team that trades away its franchise corner... you better draft TWO players that are gonna put butts in the stands. THIS... is what I think happens on draft day. Smith and Austin remain together at the NFL level.

Lets assume they trade Revis for the 13th overall selection in the 2013 NFL draft. Lets assume the trade happens on draft day after the Jets pick at the 9th spot. I have a couple questions about what they do with the 9th pick and if it ties into a plan involving the 13th pick. Lets discuss!

We can assume Geno Smith is there at the 9th spot for them to take but, it might be smarter to draft Geno's buddy, Tavon Austin, first seeing as drafting a WR at the 9th spot would be cheaper than a QB... thus making Geno a bit cheaper at the 13th spot.

-OR-

Draft BPA at the 9th spot and draft Revis' replacement with the newly acquired 13th pick... Trufant or Rhodes?

-OR-

Other scenario(give details)

As I see it... if the Jets pull the trigger on Tavon Austin at the 9th spot... this would be a major hit to the Bucs plans on draft day. This could cause the Bucs to pull the trigger on trading for Revis... thus leaving the door wide open to draft Geno Smith. We know very well that TEN(10), SD(11), and MIA(12) won't be drafting a QB. For a team that trades away its franchise corner... you better draft TWO players that are gonna put butts in the stands. THIS... is what I think happens on draft day. Smith and Austin remain together at the NFL level.

This could very well happen is there talk among the jets and bucs?

I don't see why you see Austin to NY as a done deal. They have a lot of undersized WRs already.

they have 3 guys under 6'. One of those is Holmes. I don't consider 6' undersized. Most WRs on their roster right now wont be there come time for the regular season. Plus, I don't see this as a "done deal." I am trying to emphasize that IF the Jets intend to trade Revis(and I think they will) they need to draft Austin and Smith to get fans to show up to games. They already lost Fireman Ed!!! I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard take the starting job if this scenario does not pan out BTW. They need to stop kidding themselves when it comes to Sanchez... maybe they can trade him for a 6th rounder in 2014 after they lock up Smith? 

This could very well happen is there talk among the jets and bucs?

Yeah. Bucs want Revis...BADLY! Bucs don't want to give up the 13th pick though. Strong possibility this plays out on draft day. Like I said though... I "assume" Smith makes it to the 9th pick and I "assume" the Jets take Austin first... then Smith at 13.

they have 3 guys under 6'. One of those is Holmes. I don't consider 6' undersized. Most WRs on their roster right now wont be there come time for the regular season. Plus, I don't see this as a "done deal." I am trying to emphasize that IF the Jets intend to trade Revis(and I think they will) they need to draft Austin and Smith to get fans to show up to games. They already lost Fireman Ed!!! I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard take the starting job if this scenario does not pan out BTW. They need to stop kidding themselves when it comes to Sanchez... maybe they can trade him for a 6th rounder in 2014 after they lock up Smith?

Huh? Under 6' and 6' are different.

Yeah. Bucs want Revis...BADLY! Bucs don't want to give up the 13th pick though. Strong possibility this plays out on draft day. Like I said though... I "assume" Smith makes it to the 9th pick and I "assume" the Jets take Austin first... then Smith at 13.

The jets are actually not very smart the bucs Ik offered next years first and this years second if I was the jets I'd just take that deal lol they may mess around and let revis walk if the bucs won't give up the 13 th pick

The jets are actually not very smart the bucs Ik offered next years first and this years second if I was the jets I'd just take that deal lol they may mess around and let revis walk if the bucs won't give up the 13 th pick

They would if the entire organization's FO was not on the brink of being fired. They need to do something drastic this year if they can. Clearing up cap space by trading Revis is step one. Wisely using TWO top 15 draft picks is step two. i assume trading Revis would open up some cap space to go after a could of free agents that are still out there... that would be step three. Trading Sanchez would be a bonus...

They would if the entire organization's FO was not on the brink of being fired. They need to do something drastic this year if they can. Clearing up cap space by trading Revis is step one. Wisely using TWO top 15 draft picks is step two. i assume trading Revis would open up some cap space to go after a could of free agents that are still out there... that would be step three. Trading Sanchez would be a bonus...

That's still a good trade for the jets the bucs aren't sure how revis will play but the jets are guaranteed next years 1st and this years 2nd guess we will see hope the jets do get something done i love big trades on draft day lol

If they end up drafting Smith, I don't think that makes them any better. IMO Smith is average...at best, and maybe giving him the benefit of the doubt on that. He maybe better than Sanchez, but I still don't think it makes them much of a better team. I also do not like Austin, but thats ok because the more the Jets keep making bad decisions, the funnier I think it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

If they end up drafting Smith, I don't think that makes them any better. IMO Smith is average...at best, and maybe giving him the benefit of the doubt on that. He maybe better than Sanchez, but I still don't think it makes them much of a better team. I also do not like Austin, but thats ok because the more the Jets keep making bad decisions, the funnier I think it is. 

The Raiders of the East!

The jets ineptitude starts at the top and trickles down from the owner.  I wouldn't doubt it if they did trade Revis but they will end up falling flat on their faces when the dust settles

i see bills drafting austin at 8th

Would make sense for them. When they win games it is usually due to the big play setting them up. Of course this year is WAY different so who knows what the heck they do to stay relevant in games...

Now that the Darrelle Revis trade is all but done and the next thing to a complete house-cleaning is underway....with Jets fans totally fed up.....I'd do this if I were the Jets....

1. Trade the #9 and #106 overall pick to Minnesota for their #23 and #25 overall picks. The Vikings are said to want WR Tavon Austin and if Buffalo doesn't take him at #8....which I don't think they will do....then NY should pull this trade off when their #9 pick comes up.

2. With their reconfigured set of draft picks they should select....

#13 - OG Jonathan Cooper

#23 - TE Tyler Eifert

#25 - WR Justin Hunter

3. Trade their 2nd round pick, #39 overall  to Philly for QB Nick Foles and immediately name him the starter. Foles does not fit Chip Kelly's offense and is probably better than any QB prospect in this draft, as well as Sanchez. Plus he has 3 years left on a very cap-friendly $2.7M rookie contract which would be a welcome relief once they throw Sanchez out.....which leads to.....

4. Cut Tim Tebow and inform Mark Sanchez this season will be his last in a Jets uniform.

5. Address the NT, OLB and Safety positions with the remainder of their picks.

The Jets don't need to completely blow their team out but the offense needs complete retooling.

They generally screw situations like this up....but John Idzik did come over from Seattle, where he built quite a good young team....so you never know.

Now that the Darrelle Revis trade is all but done and the next thing to a complete house-cleaning is underway....with Jets fans totally fed up.....I'd do this if I were the Jets....

1. Trade the #9 and #106 overall pick to Minnesota for their #23 and #25 overall picks. The Vikings are said to want WR Tavon Austin and if Buffalo doesn't take him at #8....which I don't think they will do....then NY should pull this trade off when their #9 pick comes up.

2. With their reconfigured set of draft picks they should select....

#13 - OG Jonathan Cooper

#23 - TE Tyler Eifert

#25 - WR Justin Hunter

3. Trade their 2nd round pick, #39 overall  to Philly for QB Nick Foles and immediately name him the starter. Foles does not fit Chip Kelly's offense and is probably better than any QB prospect in this draft, as well as Sanchez. Plus he has 3 years left on a very cap-friendly $2.7M rookie contract which would be a welcome relief once they throw Sanchez out.....which leads to.....

4. Cut Tim Tebow and inform Mark Sanchez this season will be his last in a Jets uniform.

5. Address the NT, OLB and Safety positions with the remainder of their picks.

The Jets don't need to completely blow their team out but the offense needs complete retooling.

They generally screw situations like this up....but John Idzik did come over from Seattle, where he built quite a good young team....so you never know.

That would be the best case scenerio for the Jets. That's a lot of trading but I agree that would be the only way they can turn things around in a year or two. Where they are now...this is going to take more time. 

They sit in a really nice spot..either of those two first rd picks are in perfect trade positions....THEY HAVE TO TRADE BACK on 1 at least imo....they have way to many needs.

Personally...I would trade back on both if they have suiters. Imagine having 3 picks in the 20s and 3 in the 30s. That sort of draft would go much further in turning things around then 2 high picks. I actually think Sanchez could be an adequate starter if they could put weapons back on the outside and a release valve at te. Couple that with a running game again...they could be a 500 team this year and be in the playoff hunt....there defense has been fine....that offense just had no weapons...they need some playmakers....and trading back would fill more needs...there isn't a calvin johnson or adrian peterson or andrew luck or revis or aj watt in this draft that i can see....no dominant position players....just a lot of solid quality...so i would trade back and get solid starters instead of going for a name.

I mean we got our tavon austin in the 3rd rd last year....no reason to throw 1st rd picks at a guy like that...they would be better served with trading back and getting more picks and getting a hopkins or woods. Big splashes often lead to big busts....they need contributors.

That would be the best case scenerio for the Jets. That's a lot of trading but I agree that would be the only way they can turn things around in a year or two. Where they are now...this is going to take more time. 

They sit in a really nice spot..either of those two first rd picks are in perfect trade positions....THEY HAVE TO TRADE BACK on 1 at least imo....they have way to many needs.

Personally...I would trade back on both if they have suiters. Imagine having 3 picks in the 20s and 3 in the 30s. That sort of draft would go much further in turning things around then 2 high picks. I actually think Sanchez could be an adequate starter if they could put weapons back on the outside and a release valve at te. Couple that with a running game again...they could be a 500 team this year and be in the playoff hunt....there defense has been fine....that offense just had no weapons...they need some playmakers....and trading back would fill more needs...there isn't a calvin johnson or adrian peterson or andrew luck or revis or aj watt in this draft that i can see....no dominant position players....just a lot of solid quality...so i would trade back and get solid starters instead of going for a name.

I mean we got our tavon austin in the 3rd rd last year....no reason to throw 1st rd picks at a guy like that...they would be better served with trading back and getting more picks and getting a hopkins or woods. Big splashes often lead to big busts....they need contributors.

I agree....and if they can pull the deal off with Minnesota for either the #9 or #13 pick and get 2-3 picks in return in this draft for whichever one they part with then they will have made the best of the Revis situation. They also reportedly will have 4 comp picks next year in addition to the conditional Revis pick...which will probably be a 3rd rounder. So on paper GM John Idzik should have picks and cap space next year to continue his project with.

Whether Mark Sanchez can reach an adequate level remains an open question....but that's a problem with an overpaid, hyper-sensitive 4th year QB and with Rex Ryan clearly on thin ice. Unless the Jets overachieve and comfortably make the playoffs this season...I think the Rex Ryan Show will be cancelled. There's just been too much nonsense along the way.

If that does happen a new HC would almost certainly spell Sanchez's departure...and with the added picks derived from the Revis trade and a trade down, Foles in particular could come in now as a relatively low-cost experiment and possibly pay off in the long run.

With the upgraded weapons the Jets need anyway....the stronger-armed Foles appears better equipped than Sanchez, who looks like he's hit his ceiling and is completely helpless without a surrounding cast. If the cap-friendly Foles is a failure...then the 2nd rounder they used to get him in this scenario where they gain several other picks is all they've lost.

None of this, by the way, absolves Woody Johnson, who is quickly gaining ground on Jerry Jones as one of the quirkiest owners in the NFL...but then, what can you do about a bad owner? He certainly has the right to weigh in on something of the magnitude of the Revis situation and Sanchez's contract and its impact.

If Johnson backs off now that the Revis situation has been resolved and whatever happens with Rex Ryan and Sanchez is finally resolved, and he lets John Idzik do his job....the Jets can turn it around with the right moves.

But if Woody becomes an overarching hands-on type like Jerry Jones in Dallas then Jets fans are in for a lot more misery.

I agree....and if they can pull the deal off with Minnesota for either the #9 or #13 pick and get 2-3 picks in return in this draft for whichever one they part with then they will have made the best of the Revis situation. They also reportedly will have 4 comp picks next year in addition to the conditional Revis pick...which will probably be a 3rd rounder. So on paper GM John Idzik should have picks and cap space next year to continue his project with.

Whether Mark Sanchez can reach an adequate level remains an open question....but that's a problem with an overpaid, hyper-sensitive 4th year QB and with Rex Ryan clearly on thin ice. Unless the Jets overachieve and comfortably make the playoffs this season...I think the Rex Ryan Show will be cancelled. There's just been too much nonsense along the way.

If that does happen a new HC would almost certainly spell Sanchez's departure...and with the added picks derived from the Revis trade and a trade down, Foles in particular could come in now as a relatively low-cost experiment and possibly pay off in the long run.

With the upgraded weapons the Jets need anyway....the stronger-armed Foles appears better equipped than Sanchez, who looks like he's hit his ceiling and is completely helpless without a surrounding cast. If the cap-friendly Foles is a failure...then the 2nd rounder they used to get him in this scenario where they gain several other picks is all they've lost.

None of this, by the way, absolves Woody Johnson, who is quickly gaining ground on Jerry Jones as one of the quirkiest owners in the NFL...but then, what can you do about a bad owner? He certainly has the right to weigh in on something of the magnitude of the Revis situation and Sanchez's contract and its impact.

If Johnson backs off now that the Revis situation has been resolved and whatever happens with Rex Ryan and Sanchez is finally resolved, and he lets John Idzik do his job....the Jets can turn it around with the right moves.

But if Woody becomes an overarching hands-on type like Jerry Jones in Dallas then Jets fans are in for a lot more misery.

Probably the best break down of this situation I've heard. You should have been on NFL network or ESPN today because I've heard non-sense all day about this deal. 100% agree Foles would be a very very nice additon....as would Kirk Cousins be an ok pick up but with RG3 having injury questions it would be pretty much impossible to get him. They are in a great spot as a lot of teams want into the top 10 and a lot want into the middle of the teens to get Austin as well. If they trade back I think they still get plenty of value. There are good OL, WR, CBs, and TEs that they could land later. I don't see 1 elite pass rusher on the board or shut down corner and I would be super surprised to see more than 1 of those guards go off the board before the late teens. They need so much help they need to overhaul almost the whole team. This year and next should be used as a rebuilding process. They don't have the luxury of bringing in a Luck to carry them through the process. Sanchez can't carry them...I think he could be adequate with help...but they have nothing to work with...this team is at the bottom of the league...only Oakland and Jacksonville is worse. 

I will be honest...as bad as Ryan is with his mouth...he is a good motivator and I don't think he is the problem there. Moving Revis....I think the expectations have gone down...and if  the team can show promise with these picks...he keeps his job. If Norv Turner could survive so long in San Diego underachieving with the great talent he had....Ryan deserves more time. He overachieved with his team a few years back and the last couple years you just see what happens when you try to squeeze wine from a raisin.