Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heyward-Bey will be a better version of Garcon?

I think he has more potential than any receiver in the draft other than Austin, and any receiver that was available in free agency including Wallace who is a 1 trick pony....I'm excited to see what he does with a real QB!! This is why receiver is no longer a priority in the first unless Austin is somehow sitting there..."Please no comments about bad hands or drops, Reggie dropped plenty of balls himself, his hands aren't that bad and he will be running a lot of short routes where his speed and ability for YAC will be showcased in this offense....

If he can run routes from the tutelage of Wayne, and get a grip better than Garçon could, he could be a keeper.

That is what I'm hoping....He landed in the best possible spot and he's a major upgrade over Avery who had so much so-called speed but could never seperate, DHB plays to his speed.

I wouldn't go thay far. Thomas is a stud

I said they are similar type players and could be like Thomas, I agree Thomas is a stud, only receiver I'd take over Thomas right now is Calvin Johnson....Thomas is T.O. with better hands..Bey has the ability to get close and could be a number 1,...I wish we signed him to at least a 3 year deal though cause he will be expensive after this year if it works out like I think it will.

I see him as similar to Garcon only in that he has questionable hands but will make the fantastic catch every now and then.  DHB has more speed but doesn't play with the edge, physicality or swag that Garcon brings to the table. He also hasn't made the number of big plays that Garcon has over the course of his career so far.  Then again DHB never had the opportunity to catch passes from Peyton or RG3 either.  Now he finally gets his shot to play with a real franchise caliber quarterback in Andrew Luck. Based on what I've seen from him thus far, I can't say right now that DHB will be a better version than Garcon but who knows...hopefully his best games are ahead of him.

I see him as similar to Garcon only in that he has questionable hands but will make the fantastic catch every now and then.  DHB has more speed but doesn't play with the edge, physicality or swag that Garcon brings to the table. He also hasn't made the number of big plays that Garcon has over the course of his career so far.  Then again DHB never had the opportunity to catch passes from Peyton or RG3 either.  Now he finally gets his shot to play with a real franchise caliber quarterback in Andrew Luck. Based on what I've seen from him thus far, I can't say right now that DHB will be a better version than Garcon but who knows...hopefully his best games are ahead of him.

He picked Luck over Stafford and getting overlooked because of Megatron to play here so that should tell you something....Oakland is the worst place a player can end up and you can't base it off that...I still feel terrible for McFadden, it's a shame a player like that is wasting away in the black hole....Garcon has an edge, but would he have that edge if he had players like Mcnown and a washed up Palmer throwing him the ball??? I don't know?

I'm not sure he's a perfect fit for the West Coast at all...   not until I see it....

I think he was brought in to be the primary weapon on vertical routes....    an upgraded Donnie Avery....

How many shorter and medium routes he'll run is anyone's guess right now....

I think his fit is is question until it's proven otherwise....

I'm not saying he won't fit....  only that as of right now,  it's a question mark for me...

dhb will do well here with his supporting cast around him. demarius thomas is noway #2 to megatron,not even close,without peyton he is average at best. lets not bring up rg3 on this site cuz he is one overrated player-should never of gotten r.o.t.y. for getn hurt n playing college football in the nfl with a playbook that he could handle unlike andrew luck who got thrown everything at him and a poor o'line and still was great in many fascets of the game. russ wilson was way better than rg3 also. not tryn to start stuff just looking at the whole ball of wax,but i do hate rg3.

dhb will do well here with his supporting cast around him. demarius thomas is noway #2 to megatron,not even close,without peyton he is average at best. lets not bring up rg3 on this site cuz he is one overrated player-should never of gotten r.o.t.y. for getn hurt n playing college football in the nfl with a playbook that he could handle unlike andrew luck who got thrown everything at him and a poor o'line and still was great in many fascets of the game. russ wilson was way better than rg3 also. not tryn to start stuff just looking at the whole ball of wax,but i do hate rg3.

You can't really hate RG3 as he seems like a overall good guy. You can hate the people who overrate him though. 

I'm not sure he's a perfect fit for the West Coast at all...   not until I see it....

I think he was brought in to be the primary weapon on vertical routes....    an upgraded Donnie Avery....

I'm not saying he won't fit....  only that as of right now,  it's a question mark for me...

of course he will be a vertical threat.

But he was certainly brought in to use his bigger body to run some slants add not drop passes like T.Y & Avery did out of fear of being hit.

Gosh, maybe he can put that body to use as a REAL blocker too!

He's not a vertical threat at all. He is absolutely terrible at tracking the ball through the air and making adjustments. He's a pure YAC guy. His strength is comeback routes and bubble screen (think a bigger, faster Percy Harvin, but not as good). He'll make catches over the middle and be able to pick up extra yards but he's not a very good vertical threat.

Also to be noted that he is an absolutely fantastic run blocker.

He's not a vertical threat at all. He is absolutely terrible at tracking the ball through the air and making adjustments. He's a pure YAC guy. His strength is comeback routes and bubble screen (think a bigger, faster Percy Harvin, but not as good). He'll make catches over the middle and be able to pick up extra yards but he's not a very good vertical threat.

Also to be noted that he is an absolutely fantastic run blocker.

Do you have a link to any reputable website that says this??

I'd like to see that please.....

Do you have a link to any reputable website that says this??

I'd like to see that please.....

Just from reading comments across the web from Raiders fans. It seems to be a general consensus. That and he jumps to catch every pass. You can also see it in his highlights.

He certainly has the size and speed.  I haven't seen him play a lot, so I don't know what is mentality is running with the ball.  Pierre was aggressive and wanted to run right through anyone and everyone in his way.  Is DHB similar to that?  Does he try to run through guys and run angry or does he run around guys and use his speed?

Thomas is average at best? Funny, I saw Manning throwing him a lot of short passes and Thomas doing all the work. Thomas is as at least a top 10 WR in the league.

of course he will be a vertical threat.

But he was certainly brought in to use his bigger body to run some slants add not drop passes like T.Y & Avery did out of fear of being hit.

Gosh, maybe he can put that body to use as a REAL blocker too!

Exactly!!! If certain receivers only ran certain routes we'd be pretty easy to gameplan for...Heyward-Bey can do both and he plays to his speed unlike Avery who never really separated on vertical routes.....T.Y will run a lot of the verticals and Fleenor will run a lot of seam routes too. And lets not forget about Brazil I love his game when he gets opportunities...

Not to discount Thomas but Peyton can make no name wr's look great

It wasn't just peyton. Thomas turned many dink throws into big gaines. If people had watched Thomas and decker previous to peyton it was obvious all they needed was a competent QB.

Nobody was calling Thomas a stud before Peyton got there. I think he had a great year last year, but I'm not going to call him one of the best in the league just yet. If he repeats last years performance this year then I'll give him more weight on being one of the best.

Nobody was calling Thomas a stud before Peyton got there. I think he had a great year last year, but I'm not going to call him one of the best in the league just yet. If he repeats last years performance this year then I'll give him more weight on being one of the best.

Come on now....    we're not talking about a guy who's a veteran.

He's only been in the league a few years...  and one was lost to a major injury...   the others were lost to have Tim Tebow as his quarterback.    He was a first round draft pick and thought to be a talented one at that....

I'm not calling him a top-10 talent....   but let's not give Peyton too much credit on this one....   Thomas has talent....

Come on now....    we're not talking about a guy who's a veteran.

He's only been in the league a few years...  and one was lost to a major injury...   the others were lost to have Tim Tebow as his quarterback.    He was a first round draft pick and thought to be a talented one at that....

I'm not calling him a top-10 talent....   but let's not give Peyton too much credit on this one....   Thomas has talent....

My argument is he is not a top 10 talent just as you are agreeing to the same. I think he can be that, but I want to see one more season of what he did last year. Thomas is just now learning how to play the position in the way the top guys should play it. I want to see him grow a bit more before I give him top ten status. Some of the comments in this threadmake it seem as if he's always been a stud. He's had stud potential, but it is just now being cultivated.

DHB has been in a similar situation as Thomas. However I'm not going to call DHB one of the best receivers in the league if he does well this year with Luck. I need to see a bit more of that before I go there with a top ten claim.

He picked Luck over Stafford and getting overlooked because of Megatron to play here so that should tell you something....Oakland is the worst place a player can end up and you can't base it off that...I still feel terrible for McFadden, it's a shame a player like that is wasting away in the black hole....Garcon has an edge, but would he have that edge if he had players like Mcnown and a washed up Palmer throwing him the ball??? I don't know?

Yeah I hear you about Oakland being a black hole which is pretty much what I also alluding to when I said DHB never played with Peyton and RG3.  I think DHB will be his own player.  His game really isn't anything like Garcon's in my opinion.  Garcon would knock your head off on a block or stiff arm the daylights out of a corner if necessary. That Sunday night Arizona game is still fresh in my mind.   I just don't see DHB being as physical or bringing the same edgy attitude/swag to the offense. However, DHB's height and speed is enough to potentially distinguish him in his own right if he is able to live up to his potential.  Having Luck as his QB won't hurt but the rest is up to DHB.  

It wasn't just peyton. Thomas turned many dink throws into big gaines. If people had watched Thomas and decker previous to peyton it was obvious all they needed was a competent QB.

Agreed, I dont think it was just Peyton either Im just saying Peyton helped

Meh, I don't need to wait, some times it's obvious