Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carson Palmer going to Arizona

ÅÐØNϧ 1

By the end of Monday Arizona will have there new starting QB .  I thought Drew Stanton was gonna get a shot a being a starter .

B.A wants a QB with a big arm is Carson Palmer really the best option , A 6'th or a 7'th  pick from Arizona , The Raiders were gonna cut him so at least the get something in return .

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21989108/carson-palmer-headed-to-cardinals-deal-should-be-finalized-monday

It's a good addition to their team.  It gives them a serviceable QB now so they don't have to reach for someone in the draft.  They have Carson for a few years, so they can see how he plays out and they will have more freedom as to when they want to draft a young franchise QB in the future

Too bad the Cards gotta pick up his big contract.

And too bad for Stanton. Goes to NY and was told he was the backup. Then they trade for Tebow. Now, he's in Zona where it's expected that he would start, or have a good chance at starting. Then they trade for Carson Palmer, who's now expected to start.

Put that guy on suicide watch. 

Bruce Arians ""I think all speculators look at need and not the draft board. If you draft for need, you're in trouble."

If you fail to address gapping holes Bruce, you get fired. Don't believe me just ask Bill Polian, Jim Irsay, & Ken Whisenhunt.   haha Palmer can throw the ball downfield. Can you protect him though? That's the question. 

I'd be curious to hear how much of a pay cut Oakland wanted him to take. If it was $8,000,000 plus incentives in the Black Hole, would Palmer have stayed put in CA? Probably not. WR Larry Fitzgerald is a nice big target to throw to. 

Poor Carson...he has played for the Bengals, Raiders, and AZ...the trifecta of poop. He better wear a flak jacket...Bruce is calling the plays.

Is he? I know he said that he plans to until he finds someone he thinks can do it better, but then he hired Tom Moore...

I bet Palmer's deal gets restructured as a part of this trade.

And too bad for Stanton. Goes to NY and was told he was the backup. Then they trade for Tebow. Now, he's in Zona where it's expected that he would start, or have a good chance at starting. Then they trade for Carson Palmer, who's now expected to start.

They plan on it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/01/carson-palmer-arizona-cardinals-oakland-raiders-draft-picks/2042507/

From $13 million down to $8 million.

He's still making darn good money. Put me on suicide watch then. He's making a heck of a lot more money than my immediate family members. I don't feel sorry for Drew Stanton at all personally...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/drew-stanton/

If given the chance to compete for it ,IMO Stanton wins out

I like Stanton & I have nothing against him. Also, I will admit that different city's have a different standard of living. Money will go further in Indianapolis vs AZ I would assume. Carson Palmer will start for at least 1 season though. You don't trade for a veteran, pay him $8,000,000, & let him sit on the bench though. Next year, all bets are off, & Drew has a shot at starting IMO...

It will come down to who does better in camp between him and Stanton. BA could just be looking for a veteran backup in case Drew does horrible, because you don't usually trade a 6th or 7th rounder for your franchise QB. 

The Cardinals wanted Palmer if he was cut so trading a 6 or 7' th rounder to get him just tells me they did'nt want to chance losing him to another team . I believe based on B.A's love of the long ball Palmer will be the starter .  Drew Stanton just got punked .

Although Matt Flynn was supposed to start in Seattle before Russell Wilson took the QB spot from him....So what the hades...anything is possible...Names are pointless...Performance on the field means everything...Brett Favre & Tom Brady are 2 QBs that exceeded initial expectations by their original franchises so a precedent for NFL success is there for QB Drew Stanton. 

Poor Carson...he has played for the Bengals, Raiders, and AZ...the trifecta of poop. He better wear a flak jacket...Bruce is calling the plays.

Warner played for the Rams and Cards and went to three SBs, winning one.

Poor Palmer though. He was never the same after the steelers blew out his knee in 2005.

The Cardinals wanted Palmer if he was cut so trading a 6 or 7' th rounder to get him just tells me they did'nt want to chance losing him to another team . I believe based on B.A's love of the long ball Palmer will be the starter .  Drew Stanton just got punked .

Yeah, that's what I keep going back to. Bruce loves to throw & Carson Palmer can still chuck the pigskin, but accuracy matters & if Carson gets sloppy & starts throwing picks there is a window of opportunity for Drew Stanton IMO. 

Poor Palmer though. He was never the same after the steelers blew out his knee in 2005.

Good point amfootball! The Bengals were on fire in 2005 & they were bond to make a deep Playoff run if Palmer had not gotten hurt in that game. A filler is all Carson Palmer is now a tourniquet to stop the bleeding at QB. He will never get to the SB, let alone win a Championship IMO.

Those poor fans are impatient in Arizona. They've had to put up with poor QB play since Warner retired. Maybe Palmer is a step in the right direction. They need to address o-line in the Draft to make sure he doesn't get killed though.

Good point amfootball! The Bengals were on fire in 2005 & they were bond to make a deep Playoff run if Palmer had not gotten hurt in that game. A filler is all Carson Palmer is now a tourniquet to stop the bleeding at QB. He will never get to the SB, let alone win a Championship IMO.

These are the 2012 regular-season numbers for two quarterbacks.

Quarterback A: 3,817 passing yards, 7.2 per attempt, 22 touchdown passes, 10 interceptions, 59.7 completion percentage and a passer rating of 87.7.

Quarterback B: 4,018 yards 7.1 per attempt, 22 touchdown passes, 14 interceptions, a 61.1 completion percentage and a passer rating of 85.3.

Those numbers are similar, right?

QB  A   just won the SB 

QB B    Carson Palmer     He did'nt fit in in Oakland from what i understand , B.A  IMO will get more outta Palmer . Stanton is the insurance policy , Palmer will be the starter for how long depends on injury its his last shot at being a starter .

Zona's O-line is not as terrible as people make them out to be, IMO.

I do think coaching, QB and scheme can mask an O-line's deficiences. By no means are they good enough to be top 10, but by no means are they bad enough to stay at No.32, IMO.

Once coaching and scheme fix a few things, and a few talent additions are made, they may surprise us with a middle of the road O-line.

I do think coaching, QB and scheme can mask an O-line's deficiences. By no means are they good enough to be top 10, but by no means are they bad enough to stay at No.32, IMO.

Once coaching and scheme fix a few things, and a few talent additions are made, they may surprise us with a middle of the road O-line.

I completely disagree, when Kolb played he took an average of 2.84 seconds to throw the ball from the time it was snapped. He didn't have a very quick release, but by no means was it terrible. Maybe a little above average. But his O-line had an average time of 2.28 (the next lowest time was 2.43 seconds) seconds until it gave up a sack. Statistically Kolb had a higher chance of getting sacked than he did throwing a pass. On his drop backs he was sacked 12.9% of the time (for reference the worst percentage ever was 14.2% by the Bills in 1999). It got better down the road (though it was still terrible), but that line was a complete mess.

It's definitely not a strong offensive line. And we all know that Arians' passing concepts aren't exactly line-friendly.

I completely disagree, when Kolb played he took an average of 2.84 seconds to throw the ball from the time it was snapped. He didn't have a very quick release, but by no means was it terrible. Maybe a little above average. But his O-line had an average time of 2.28 (the next lowest time was 2.43 seconds) seconds until it gave up a sack. Statistically Kolb had a higher chance of getting sacked than he did throwing a pass. On his drop backs he was sacked 12.9% of the time (for reference the worst percentage ever was 14.2% by the Bills in 1999). It got better down the road (though it was still terrible), but that line was a complete mess.

Yeah, but Russ Grimm as the O-line coach was a big part of getting Wisenhunt booted as well.

http://arizonasports.com/40/1608180/Arizona-Cardinals-OC-Goodwin-says-theres-talent-on-offensive-line

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1432417-arizona-cardinals-offensive-line-proves-coaching-is-biggest-issue-in-2012

As much as it might be bleacher report, the fact that the Cardinals' O-line was top 4 in the NFL for 3 consecutive weeks means something to me and that something is that there is enough talent that with good coaching can be brought out.

Is anyone else excited for all the new QBs?

Smith in KC, Kolb in Buffalo, Palmer in Arizon, and Flynn in Oakland. I honestly can't wait to see how they are turn out. I hope Kolb and Palmer do good. I've tended to like them over the years. Steelers honestly ruined Palmer's career. The Bengals had a real SB shot in 2005.