Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trading Down to the 2nd Round and Take Robert Woods?

I'm a big USC fan, and without any bias, I can say that Robert Woods is Hands down the best WR in this class. Why he has fallen, I assume their are two explanations.

1. A slight concussion and ankle injury. 

2. Overshadowed by Marquis Lee

If you watch Lame Kiffen, you can see why Marquis Lee overshadowed Woods and why Nelson Algholar overshadowed both in some games.

Kiffen called so many slant and out routes it was ridiculous. You can even hear Barkely say their offence was too predictable. Many  of Woods Catches were for 4-6 yards and, once in a while he and Lee would get you an extra 10 yards. Many of Barkely's problems and the offense as the whole was our inability to run and the simplicity of our passing game.

I think with a new young team, we can't afford to start loosing picks. If we are looking for a WR, Woods is a steal at anything after the first 10 picks, despite what the experts say.

I have wanted Woods since before the season and nothing during the season has changed that i still want him now 

i think he will end up having a very similar career to reggie. 

i would be ecstatic even if we took him at 24 

That would be a reach, and I would be far from ecstatic.

What is the deal with his ankle anyway. Seems that injury has lingered forever

Sprain he never let heal but just played through it. Couple of games in '11 he was just a decoy but was out there.

I'm not in agreement that Woods is the best WR in the class....

But I'd have no objections to trading down and taking him....   or Hunter....  or Patton....  or another of the top WR's that will likely fall to the top of the 2nd....

We address a serious need, plus gather more picks for other needs....     We might not get the first choice in WR,  but we'd get someone very good....

Just a different perspective....

I would be really happy to see us trade back to the 2nd to get Woods.  I really like Woods

Woods or Hopkins... Woods sounds like a true professional in the interviews I watched.... Cordelle Patterson was a pretty good interview as well, but he won't fall.  No to Allen, Stills... Rogers was okay...if we can grab him in the 3rd, then our WRs would be solid for a long time...

Woods or Hopkins... Woods sounds like a true professional in the interviews I watched.... Cordelle Patterson was a pretty good interview as well, but he won't fall.  No to Allen, Stills... Rogers was okay...if we can grab him in the 3rd, then our WRs would be solid for a long time...

Word after the combine was Patterson didn't impress teams during the interview process. Wasn't clarified if his was due to intelligence or understanding of offenses.

Word after the combine was Patterson didn't impress teams during the interview process. Wasn't clarified if his was due to intelligence or understanding of offenses.

I feel like a kid at football christmas time... I would be happy with any of these in this order: Hopkins, Woods, Austin, Patterson, Rogers, Harper, Allen, Swope

Momma said the Devil is Andrew Lucks right hand.  ~Steve Earle

I'm a USC fan as well, and Robert Woods will have a terrific pro career.  He was almost unstoppable before his injuries and the emergence of Marquis Lee, who will be a top 10 pick in the 2014 draft.  Woods does everything well, and is a much better sure thing than other receivers in the draft.  He is already polished and come in and contribute right away.   I like the idea of trading down into the second round, picking up some more draft picks, and getting Woods.

It's funny Becuase Hunter and Woods are obiouvsly the 2 best recievers...Hopkins is basically tied with Hunter IMO, But Woods and Hunter have gotten the stick.

The best case scenario is if Geno Falls to the 15-20 and Barkely is available where we pick...OMG, Imagine the Desperation, We could get a first for next year if Barkely is still available.

A lot of ifs for my liking. But IF we find a willing trade partner near the top of the second round and IF Robert Woods falls, I would be ecstatic. Personally though, I just feel as though Woods goes in the 1st. Someone will take a flyer on him, possibly the Vikings with their string of first rounders...

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd rather not trade down unless we really hate what's staring us in the face. The level of compensation teams get now since the new CBA (the 'Skins-Rams RGIII deal notwithstanding) just isn't worth the dropoff in quality. If a guy's there at 24 that's worth the pick, take him there and don't try to get too cute.

Colts did try out Quinton Patton recently, and if we trade down to top of 2nd round, I think a value DE like Sylvester Williams, if there, would be a great addition. With the trade down, we probably gain a top of 3rd round pick too that we can use on Quinton Patton, IMO.

Moala most likely starts on PUP and Sylvester could get into the rotation behind Redding and RJF pretty easily. Plus, he has the size at 313 lbs and length at 6'3" to play the DE in the 2-gap 3-4 that Manusky runs, where the primary responsibility for the DE is containment unlike the 1-gap 3-4 that Wade Philips plays that allows smaller DEs to shoot 1 gap and have more pass rush opportunities.