Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 2.0

Trade 1st rounder (24) to San Francisco for 2 (34) and 3rd (93)

Round 2 pick 33- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennesse. Hunter is unpolished, but has tons of upside. Physically, he compares to AJ Green. With 2 years under Reggie's guidance, he would be a great #1 receiver.

Round 3 pick 86- Brian Winters, OG, Kent State. Winters played tackle at Kent State. He doesn't have any experience playing inside. But he's a big guy who fits the scheme and is the best G projected to be at this spot. May have some struggles with the change of position, but he's a solid run-blocker.

Round 3 pick 93- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU. Undersized corner that gambles a little too much. Will get burned and give up big plays at the NFL level. But he's a ballhawk and a playmaker. Would do exceptional as a nickle corner. I belive he could take over for Bethea after this season. Would see very little play time this season unless there's an injury to a starter (which in the case of Toler might be likely).

Round 4 pick 121- Robert Lester, SS, Alabama. Not the prototypical SS. A little undersized for the position. More suited to play FS at the next level IMO. Good closing speed and is a ballhawk as well. Good add to back-up Landry who's health has been a factor throughout his time in the league.

Round 6 pick 192- Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State. Struggles delivering an above-average pass rush. High-motor player who will be able to chase down opposing ball carriers behing the LOS. Depth move.

Round 7 pick 240- Best OLB available

Round 7 pick 254- Collin Klein, QB/WR, Kansas State

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that this list is by need and who I expect to be at that spot to fit that need.

Lester is listed at 6'1" 220lbs, Thats a big Safety

Shamarko Thomas is 5'9" 213lbs thats SMALL

I'd not touch Thomas, But I like the Lester pick to early though, Also I been mentioning Brandan Bishop as our 6th or 7th round pick, Also you could not pay me to put Tyrann on the field as a Corner, we also need to get OLB with either or 1st round pick or 3rd, The idea of hinging our hopes on Walden is laughable at best if thats the plan

I'd not touch Thomas, But I like the Lester pick to early though, Also I been mentioning Brandan Bishop as our 6th or 7th round pick

Lester is not very muscular. That's what I meant when I said undersized. He's skinny as well.

I'd not touch Thomas, But I like the Lester pick to early though, Also I been mentioning Brandan Bishop as our 6th or 7th round pick, Also you could not pay me to put Tyrann on the field as a Corner, we also need to get OLB with either or 1st round pick or 3rd, The idea of hinging our hopes on Walden is laughable at best if thats the plan

Wait a minute, your saying Thomas is too small and therefore you wouldn't touch him, but in the Jayson DiManche thread you were saying that DiManche isn't too small. DiManche is a 6'1" 230 OLBer which is tiny for a 3-4 OLBer, but he's ok, and Thomas is too small to play safety???

Lester is a not very muscular. That's what I meant when I said undersized. He's skinny as well.

Meh, But he is a playmaker and in my opinion his grade on NFL.com(by the college committe) does not do him justice, I think he is worth a late third, early 4th round pick

That's short, not small

Wait a minute, your saying Thomas is too small and therefore you wouldn't touch him, but in the Jayson DiManche thread you were saying that DiManche isn't too small. DiManche is a 6'1" 230 OLBer which is tiny for a 3-4 OLBer, but he's ok, and Thomas is too small to play safety???

I never said that Dimanche was to small, I pointed out the players we have at OLB (Linebacker in general really) and mentioned that some of them are around Dimanche's size(Not all), Prime example Robert Mathis 6'2" 245, If thats not good enough Montee Simmons is 6'3" 226lbs, I really dont think size is the first thing on Grigsons list of qualities to look for in a player at any position

I never said that Dimanche was to small, I pointed out the players we have at OLB (Linebacker in general really) and mentioned that some of them are around Dimanche's size(Not all), Prime example Robert Mathis 6'2" 245, If thats not good enough Montee Simmons is 6'3" 226lbs, I really dont think size is the first thing on Grigsons list of qualities to look for in a player at any position

I know you didn't say DManche was too small. That is what I was saying, you pointed out that we had other players on the roster that were also small, but they are all camp fodder essentially and won't be here when the season starts. I do think that Grigson and Pagano are looking for size because they've said as much in the past. They want big strong guy's on defense and they were left with very little choice last yr. because we were so cash strapped. IMO though, Thomas isn't small, he's short, but not small. the guy is built like a truck and 213 lbs is pretty normal for a safety. On the other hand DiManche is very small for a 3-4 OLBer.

I know you didn't say DManche was too small. That is what I was saying, you pointed out that we had other players on the roster that were also small, but they are all camp fodder essentially and won't be here when the season starts. I do think that Grigson and Pagano are looking for size because they've said as much in the past. They want big strong guy's on defense and they were left with very little choice last yr. because we were so cash strapped. IMO though, Thomas isn't small, he's short, but not small. the guy is built like a truck and 213 lbs is pretty normal for a safety. On the other hand DiManche is very small for a 3-4 OLBer.

The fact they they are camp fodder has yet to be determined, some undoubtedly are though, Also poor choice of words on my part with Thomas, short would be a better word, But like I said, I like him, I just dont like him enough to draft him

Don't get why the 49ers would trade when they basically have two 1st round picks already, but ok go for it

And if we are going to take a Klein, I want LB AJ Klein not Collin Klein

There were rumors that San Fran would be looking to trade back into the first. But I guess it depends on who'll be there at 24. If they think that one of the Ss or CBs would be gone by then they I think they would trade up.

Also, Mathieu isn't a CB.

I know he's not a Corner as well but the college drafting committee has him listed as a Corner over on NFL.com, Maybe he is looked at as a Corner or thats what he wants to play, He is a FS or Nickel Corner in my opinion

So we take two S in a draft where we already have two probowl safeties who are 28...

Bethea likely won't be re-signed after this season IMO. That would put Matthieu at FS in my scenario. 

I wasn't sure to put Lester on my mock at all TBH, but Landry has had injury issues for the past few seasons.

Reccomendation of 7th round OLB - Quanterius Smith Western Kentucky. 

Not to ecstatic for Klein

Also I prefer Travis Frederick over Brian Winters in 3rd round 

And not to big on Tyrann Matieu as a NFL lever player. (Even though I am a big Tiger fan)

I do like the Lester pick. Just a few thoughts 

Reccomendation of 7th round OLB - Quanterius Smith Western Kentucky. 

Not to ecstatic for Klein

Also I prefer Travis Frederick over Brian Winters in 3rd round 

And not to big on Tyrann Matieu as a NFL lever player. (Even though I am a big Tiger fan)

I do like the Lester pick. Just a few thoughts 

haha the Klein pick was just a joke because it seems that everybodys mock draft has us taking him in the 7th.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Trade 1st rounder (24) to San Francisco for 2 (34) and 3rd (93)

Round 2 pick 33- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennesse. Hunter is unpolished, but has tons of upside. Physically, he compares to AJ Green. With 2 years under Reggie's guidance, he would be a great #1 receiver.

Round 3 pick 86- Brian Winters, OG, Kent State. Winters played tackle at Kent State. He doesn't have any experience playing inside. But he's a big guy who fits the scheme and is the best G projected to be at this spot. May have some struggles with the change of position, but he's a solid run-blocker.

Round 3 pick 93- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU. Undersized corner that gambles a little too much. Will get burned and give up big plays at the NFL level. But he's a ballhawk and a playmaker. Would do exceptional as a nickle corner. I belive he could take over for Bethea after this season. Would see very little play time this season unless there's an injury to a starter (which in the case of Toler might be likely).

Round 4 pick 121- Robert Lester, SS, Alabama. Not the prototypical SS. A little undersized for the position. More suited to play FS at the next level IMO. Good closing speed and is a ballhawk as well. Good add to back-up Landry who's health has been a factor throughout his time in the league.

Round 6 pick 192- Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State. Struggles delivering an above-average pass rush. High-motor player who will be able to chase down opposing ball carriers behing the LOS. Depth move.

Round 7 pick 240- Best OLB available

Round 7 pick 254- Collin Klein, QB/WR, Kansas State

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that this list is by need and who I expect to be at that spot to fit that need.

Id go...

2. Hopkins WR

3. Winters G

3. Schwenke C or Williams DT

4. Swearinger FS or Washington LB

6. Sanders WR

7. Ontario McCalebb RB

7. Ray Ray Armstrong FS

Mathieu is a corner....

He's just not an outside corner....

He's a slot corner, a nickel corner....   

But at a tick under 5'9" and 186,  I think he's too small for safety....   he's not going to replace Bethea...

I absolutely agree. Mathieu will never be anything but a nickle corner IMO. No way he's a safety, way too small.