Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reportedly sign Matt Hasselbeck (update)

Andy

He made $2 Mill last year.

Stanton made $1.225 Mill last year.

I suspect Hasselback's figure will be closer to the higher number than the lower number.

Just my hunch....

You are crazy, dead wrong!  Here is what Mat signed for 3 years with TN-

CONTRACT: 3 yr(s) / $20,000,000 AVERAGE: $6,666,667 SIGNING BONUS: 

$6,000,000 FREE AGENT TYPE:UFA   BASE S. BONUS MISC. BONUS CAP HIT

2011: 3,000,000 2,000,000 - 5,000,000

2012: 5,500,000 2,000,000 - 7,500,000

2013: 5,500,000 2,000,000 - 7,500,000

Do NOT want!!!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or make an extra million or two riding the bench knowing he doesn't have to do anything.

What in the world did this guy do to you?    Did he run over your dog?

The Colts are close to a terrific pick-up and it's cheap shot after cheap shot....

He can go to anyone of 10 teams and ride the bench....   he's moving quickly to do a deal with Indy, and you're knocking him???

Sorry,  I don't get it.....

CONTRACT: 3 yr(s) / $20,000,000 AVERAGE: $6,666,667 SIGNING BONUS: $6,000,000 FREE AGENT TYPE:UFA   BASE S. BONUS MISC. BONUS CAP HIT 2011: 3,000,000 2,000,000 - 5,000,000 2012: 5,500,000 2,000,000 - 7,500,000 2013: 5,500,000 2,000,000 - 7,500,000

Do NOT want!!!

I don't think he is looking for a huge deal at this point in his career. He probably knows he is done being a starter.

Or make an extra million or two riding the bench knowing he doesn't have to do anything.

Training camp and preseason is no picnic, especially for a 37 year old.

I think it comes down to being a backup for a team with a chance at doing something vs. competing for a starting job with a team that doesn't have a good season in front of them. Take the Colts out of the equation: If I had to choose between fighting for a starting job with the Bills or Jags or Cardinals, and being a backup for a young quarterback like Kaepernick or Wilson, that's an easy decision for me. The Colts are a better fit because they don't use the read option like the Niners and Seahawks do. Add in the idea of being a position coach once I'm done playing, and recognizing that this is a natural transition to that, and it's perfect.

Regardless, if Hasselbeck wants to be a glorified clipboard holder for the Colts, I don't care what his motivations are. He's been one of the best three or four backups in the league the past two years. He can make contributions on the field, if necessary. He's a battle-tested veteran who will help our young starter. I don't care if his only motivation in coming to the Colts is to make faces at the Titans from the sideline twice a year; he is the ideal backup quarterback.

Do NOT want!!!

You have his old, out-dated contract.   That's the deal he did when he was a candidate to start with a rookie Jake Locker.

He re-did his deal....    Here's his spotrac page....    it clearly says....   $2 MIll.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/matt-hasselbeck/

Let's cut to the chase.    Do you flat out not want him at any price?    Or, is he OK at $2 MIll.

And if not Hasselback,   then who do you want??

I don't think he is looking for a huge deal at this point in his career. He probably knows he is done being a starter.

I'll be surprised if he takes less than 3 million 2013 base and + 2 million bonus/yr of contract that may also elevates base pay over time of the contract.

You have his old, out-dated contract.   That's the deal he did when he was a candidate to start with a rookie Jake Locker.

He re-did his deal....    Here's his spotrac page....    it clearly says....   $2 MIll.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/matt-hasselbeck/

Let's cut to the chase.    Do you flat out not want him at any price?    Or, is he OK at $2 MIll.

And if not Hasselback,   then who do you want??

How about this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/matt-hasselbeck-out-in-tennessee/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1572568-tennessee-titans-reportedly-release-qb-matt-hasselbeck

Show me he had revised his contract. I don't think you can. He was let go because he Wouldn't restructure.

Pffffttttttt......

Oh, that 2 million you keep touting and showing is Titans 2013 Dead Money on Hasselbeck.

How about this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/matt-hasselbeck-out-in-tennessee/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1572568-tennessee-titans-reportedly-release-qb-matt-hasselbeck

Show me he had revised his contract. I don't think you can. He was let go because he Wouldn't restructure.

Pffffttttttt......

Oh, that 2 million you keep touting and showing is Titans 2013 Dead Money on Hasselbeck.

Let's assume for discussion sake....   that you're right.

He's not going to get that kind of money from the Colts.

So...   my question remains...    do you not want him because of price?     Because you don't think he's any good?   And if that's the case,  who would you rather have?    Would you take him at the right price?

So...   my question remains...    do you not want him because of price?     Because you don't think he's any good?   And if that's the case,  who would you rather have?    Would you take him at the right price?

I would take to be a mentor for Andrew

My right price is low.  2 mill/yr base, mil signing bonus 2 yr contract.  That's my max.  He is hitting the age of major skills drop off.

Do NOT want!!!

Colts Blue....

I think we're both right....

I was wrong with my link.   The $2 Mill figure for 2013 is the dead cap money hit for the Titans, not a re-worked contract by Hasselback.    I wanted you to know that I see my error.    My bad.

But the contract you have there is his contract when he was trying to be the starter for the Titans.   He's not going to want the same money as the back-up for the Colts.

If he was being money sensitive,  then he'd go to either Arizona or Buffalo.   Both have offered.   Both have a need for a starting QB.    And it appears he'd prefer to be here in Indy.

That tells me that money is not going to be the issue with him.

Win-win.    The Colts get the back-up they want.   Hasselback get the job he wants.  

Hope that clarifies my view.....

My right price is low.  2 mill/yr base, mil signing bonus 2 yr contract.  That's my max.  He is hitting the age of major skills drop off.

Thanks....

That would've been closer to my price as well.

It appears we may both be wrong.    According to another post,  IndyStar's Bob Kravitz is saying the deal is for 2-years...  and $8 MIll.

I don't know how much of that is realistic...   but that's the first report of numbers....

Colts Blue....

I think we're both right....

I was wrong with my link.   The $2 Mill figure for 2013 is the dead cap money hit for the Titans, not a re-worked contract by Hasselback.    I wanted you to know that I see my error.    My bad.

But the contract you have there is his contract when he was trying to be the starter for the Titans.   He's not going to want the same money as the back-up for the Colts.

If he was being money sensitive,  then he'd go to either Arizona or Buffalo.   Both have offered.   Both have a need for a starting QB.    And it appears he'd prefer to be here in Indy.

That tells me that money is not going to be the issue with him.

Win-win.    The Colts get the back-up they want.   Hasselback get the job he wants.  

Hope that clarifies my view.....

But the Colts paid him 2 mil more than I would have at my max. 8 mil over two years vs. my 2+1 over 2 for 6 mil. And even that is super generous IMHO. And I would have rather used the money for other position players rather than an old QB that history shows is in major declining skills territory. To each his own, however.

FranchiseQBYr-to-YrCumulativeAYPA2_zps92

This would be a really solid pickup. I love Chandler Harnish, but if we had to pickup a backup QB this guy would be my #1 choice.

I haven't read through this whole thing, but it's ridiculous to think Hassleback wants to be a backup so he can get "free" cash. He has settled into being a backup. Who the heck picks up a 37 year old intending for them to be a starter, unless its one of the GOATs like Peyton?

It's not like the backups put in any less effort than the starters. When there starters go down, they must be ready. Painter taught them this is what must occur. Sounds like they complied with Stanton, and they will with Hassleback. 

Love the move.  One of the things people spent years complaining about Polian was not having a good back up for Manning now they have one for Luck.  This is what people have said they wanted for years. 

Yes he's a little pricy but you don't get a good back up QB in this league without paying for it.  Hasselbeck is declining that's why he's going to be back up.  Honestly he will probably function as much as a QB coach as he will a back up QB who can help develop Luck and be able to come in and play if the Colts need him for a stretch (which I hope they never do).  This is a solid pick up for the Colts.  Hasselbeck is easily the best back up QB the Colts have had since Paul Justin. 

But the Colts paid him 2 mil more than I would have at my max. 8 mil over two years vs. my 2+1 over 2 for 6 mil. And even that is super generous IMHO. And I would have rather used the money for other position players rather than an old QB that history shows is in major declining skills territory. To each his own, however.

FranchiseQBYr-to-YrCumulativeAYPA2_zps92

Right, because we're tying our hopes for this year and the future to Matt Hasselbeck's rapidly declining skills...

He's a backup quarterback. There are predominantly three kinds of backup quarterbacks: 1) the young guy who is still wet behind the ears and hasn't ever shown whether he can handle being thrust into the game at a moment's notice, 2) the capable veteran who might be limited in ability or maybe even a bit older, but you know he can step in if necessary, and 3) the journeyman who isn't anything special, might be able to keep you afloat for a week or two, but if you have to play him for any considerable period of time, you're toast.

Right now, we have the first kind, and there's a thread on this board bemoaning the fact that no one knows what Harnish can or cannot do. Hasselbeck is the second kind. And his value is even more pronounced when you have a young quarterback that might learn something about this game from him.

I don't like the price tag, if it's accurate. Not the end of the world, but I hope his 2013 cap hit isn't $4m. Still, he's about the best backup quarterback there is, whether he plays or not.

A little less than what Stanton signed for and a little more than Cassell.....not too out of whack

But they are both 6-8 years younger.  We overpayed for every single player in FA.  I hope we stay out of FA for awhile and at least one of them plays up to his contract.  And the Colts decidedly moved the conversation off the major WR signing the whole forum has been on edge about.

But they are both 6-8 years younger.  We overpayed for every single player in FA.  I hope we stay out of FA for awhile and at least one of them plays up to his contract.  And the Colts decidedly moved the conversation off the major WR signing the whole forum has been on edge about.

It's not like he is in the colts long terms plans. Plus, Cassell sucks at any age.

Sorry, but I disagree about overpaying for every FA.

Welcome to free agency.  Players don't take home town discounts to move to a new city 99 times out of 100.

This is why Polian avoided free agency for years.  He knew that in order to land guys you were probably going to end up in some kind of bidding war with other teams so you are going to have over pay to get them. 

Also I don't think this move was made to get us off the major WR topic.  When the WR news broke Hasselbeck wasn't on the market.  He became available so the situation changed.  This would be the OTHER that Irsay was talking about when he said the Colts were still looking for a WR and OTHERs.  What he was saying there is that Grigson is still looking to address needs anyway he can.  He saw a chance to address the need of back up QB and took it and I think we now have the best back up QB in the NFL.  For people who spent years complaining we didn't have a good back up for Manning I think they would be doing back flips over this move because you can no longer say that about Andrew Luck.  By the same token I am sure if Grigson sees a chance to land us a number two WR (which seems to be what they are looking for on the WR front) he will find a way to do it. 

Also we are just assuming we over payed for these guys because in most cases we didn't know who they were before we signed them and didn't spend all off-season dreaming about these guys wearing blue and white.  We honestly have no idea what other teams were willing to pay for these guys and what their market was.  If we did we might find out we didn't really over pay at all. 

Right, because we're tying our hopes for this year and the future to Matt Hasselbeck's rapidly declining skills...

He's a backup quarterback. There are predominantly three kinds of backup quarterbacks: 1) the young guy who is still wet behind the ears and hasn't ever shown whether he can handle being thrust into the game at a moment's notice, 2) the capable veteran who might be limited in ability or maybe even a bit older, but you know he can step in if necessary, and 3) the journeyman who isn't anything special, might be able to keep you afloat for a week or two, but if you have to play him for any considerable period of time, you're toast.

Right now, we have the first kind, and there's a thread on this board bemoaning the fact that no one knows what Harnish can or cannot do. Hasselbeck is the second kind. And his value is even more pronounced when you have a young quarterback that might learn something about this game from him.

I don't like the price tag, if it's accurate. Not the end of the world, but I hope his 2013 cap hit isn't $4m. Still, he's about the best backup quarterback there is, whether he plays or not.

I had always liked Sorgi, it was after we let him go I was ticked with out B/U QB situation.  Painter clearly showed he wasn't 'it' when we pulled the 'we don't want to go undefeated' crap and Painter snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  Hasselbeck is over the top but he's ours, declining skills and big cap hit and all.  

:(