Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

dumervil has been released

They will just resign him to the contract he agreed to. Besides we can't afford him anyway.

Didn't realize that caused Denver to get an almost 5 mil cap hit. Won't go back to Denver, but it's still highly doubtful we can afford him.

Great ploy by his agent if you ask me. He makes the $5M from Denver, plus his new contract from whoever.

Man gets his $12M. Lowball move if this is how they planned it out.

Great ploy by his agent if you ask me. He makes the $5M from Denver, plus his new contract from whoever.

The $5M is just them forced to take a hit Now for Bonus money He already got.

As I read that $5M is Locked in. haha!  Broncos have $5M less to spend now. His signing for $8M doesn`t fix the snafu. haha!

Did he boink them on purpose? Sign Freeney, it`s about the same difference. Love it! :lol:

He doesn't make the $5m. He already made the $5m when he got his signing bonus way back when. He gets nothing from Denver moving forward. That $5m is just accounting for the unamortized portion of the signing bonus.

He doesn't make the $5m. He already made the $5m when he got his signing bonus way back when. He gets nothing from Denver moving forward. That $5m is just accounting for the unamortized portion of the signing bonus.

I guess my theory is gone though. Someone said this to me early. Thanks for clearing it up.

we are currently at 110.9 million out of 123. that leaves 12 million to work with. we could sign Dumervil for 8 this year and make up the rest over the following 2 seasons. the cap goes up substantially in 2015.

We have to have money for draft picks and in season tinkering. I can just about guarantee that we will not sign Dumerville. The money is not there. Were not going to go into the season right up against the cap. That would be terribly bad cap management.

We have to have money for draft picks and in season tinkering. I can just about guarantee that we will not sign Dumerville. The money is not there. Were not going to go into the season right up against the cap. That would be terribly bad cap management.

Don't know if you've seen any of my other posts on this, but the projections that are being bandied about are not accurate. Pending specifics on RJF's contract, we have about $19m in cap space. The difference of about $9m is accounted for by removing anyone outside of the top 51 from the cap.

I'm going to make a post about this sometime in the future. Probably once we get the cap numbers for RJF.

Don't know if you've seen any of my other posts on this, but the projections that are being bandied about are not accurate. Pending specifics on RJF's contract, we have about $19m in cap space. The difference of about $9m is accounted for by removing anyone outside of the top 51 from the cap.

I'm going to make a post about this sometime in the future. Probably once we get the cap numbers for RJF.

I missed this earlier, you are saying we have $19 million in cap space before the RJF contract details? How?

No I didn't see that. That's good to hear. Still not sure I would want them to invest that kind of money in Dumerville though. I would rather have more O-line upgrades, even though I'm sure we could get those for fairly cheap now. Regardless, I think we'll save 7-8 mil. for the start of the season.

I'd be curious how you are going to get to that number. sportrac has already taken in account the first 51 salaries. That's how you calculate the total that counts towards the cap.

I missed this earlier, you are saying we have $19 million in cap space before the RJF contract details? How?

Yes.

In the preseason, only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. So while we have a total cap figure of about $113.1m, when you remove the players below that top 51, you remove about $9m from the cap. This rule allows teams with tight cap situations to fill out their 90 man roster, but once the season starts, the entire 53 man roster + anyone on IR + dead cap hits all count against the cap.

So our cap number right now is probably about $104m. The cap for 2013 is $123m. That's $19m in cap space right now.

None of that includes the RJF contract, which we can assume is somewhere around $4-5m against the cap in 2013. So you can raise that cap number to $109m, and reduce the cap space to $14m.

Then there's draft picks, but only one or two of them will have cap numbers high enough to be counted among the top 51, so you really only have to allocate $1-2m for draft picks right now.

Pending any additional moves, once final cuts are made, we'll probably have about $10-13m in cap space.

No I didn't see that. That's good to hear. Still not sure I would want them to invest that kind of money in Dumerville though. I would rather have more O-line upgrades, even though I'm sure we could get those for fairly cheap now. Regardless, I think we'll save 7-8 mil. for the start of the season.

I'm not advocating for Dumervil. Just saying.

I'd be curious how you are going to get to that number. sportrac has already taken in account the first 51 salaries. That's how you calculate the total that counts towards the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

Spotrac does account for the top 51 cap hits. That's why their number at the very bottom, in bold, is $104m. And that's pending RJF's details.

Yes.

In the preseason, only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. So while we have a total cap figure of about $113.1m, when you remove the players below that top 51, you remove about $9m from the cap. This rule allows teams with tight cap situations to fill out their 90 man roster, but once the season starts, the entire 53 man roster + anyone on IR + dead cap hits all count against the cap.

So our cap number right now is probably about $104m. The cap for 2013 is $123m. That's $19m in cap space right now.

None of that includes the RJF contract, which we can assume is somewhere around $4-5m against the cap in 2013. So you can raise that cap number to $109m, and reduce the cap space to $14m.

Then there's draft picks, but only one or two of them will have cap numbers high enough to be counted among the top 51, so you really only have to allocate $1-2m for draft picks right now.

Pending any additional moves, once final cuts are made, we'll probably have about $10-13m in cap space.

Great explanation! Thank you! That is really interesting. We could easily add another free agent guard or pass rusher if we wanted to then!