Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

dumervil has been released

so we do have enough currently to get Dumervil since our cap is only 104MM. He absolutely Excelled as the Rush OLB in Nolan's 3-4

Pretty much.

The issue isn't so much this year as it is down the line.  Now, I don't see us re-signing Brown or McGlynn, so that's a few million off the books there, maybe we can get cheaper at those spots, but ultimately there's the possibility that signing Dumervil might end up just having the effect of making it unlikely we re-sign Bethea (especially with Davis' contract ending after next season too).  Angerer and Moala are the other notable guys for the next offseason IMO.

That's speculative, of course, and I think I'm comfortable with that trade-off anyway, even though I still probably like Bethea more than most people here do after the most recent season.

so we do have enough currently to get Dumervil since our cap is only 104MM. He absolutely Excelled as the Rush OLB in Nolan's 3-4

We do have enough. I'd think he'd have a market like Avril's, and maybe could sign for two years, $15m.

But I'm not sure I like that idea for us. He's 29, and a great pass rusher. But he's only a pass rusher. A liability against the run. Much like Avril, if you ask me. And I wasn't excited about him either. I'd rather we add another pass rusher in the draft.

Pretty much.

The issue isn't so much this year as it is down the line.  Now, I don't see us re-signing Brown or McGlynn, so that's a few million off the books there, maybe we can get cheaper at those spots, but ultimately there's the possibility that signing Dumervil might end up just having the effect of making it unlikely we re-sign Bethea.

Bethea needs to have a good year before we start talking about re-signing him. If he can't get back to form with Landry back there with him, and with an improved secondary, then maybe we can do better.

Bethea needs to have a good year before we start talking about re-signing him. If he can't get back to form with Landry back there with him, and with an improved secondary, then maybe we can do better.

True.

I do think a Dumervil deal could make sense cap-wise, in any case, as long as it expires prior to us having to re-up Luck (assuming we're talking a backloaded contract for Elvis), which is something we definitely have to plan for.  In the short term, though, it ought to be manageable.

Doom already fielding calls from other teams none mentioned, says no hard feelings Vs Denver , no comment on his agent noted

Dooms agent now says Broncos changed agreement and didnt send back new one to agent till 140 to 145 PM, called back and said at 155 we agee && fax on its way but Denver said if bn not here in time we cant just wait, still  if true then took till 207 to arrive if on its way at 155, Thats crazy to admit too, makes no sense if agent telling truth and it was al;ready on its way Denver would be reciving some part of it to know being sent

Do have to wonder the # of pages but still

Denver says final draft of agreement reached at 11 AM, were called by agent at 1 saying NO, then got call back at 125 saying OK we accept on second thought, Denver was awaiting signed contract but couldnt as time ran out

ITS HE SAID SHE SAID< WHO DO U BELIVE, Personally I cant see Elway & Broncos organizing this and lying about it as Abraham gets signed by Pats and they know will take dead cap hit, I can see an agent with some weird agenda, but its a lose lose for Denver & Doom as per nfl network,   team wanted him and   he wanted team and yet agent to slow or his fax machine to slow

In all seriousness, I do thank Elvis Dumervil for his vital contributions to the Broncos franchise & I do not mean to sound insensitive to Elvis or his family here. I just hope that Denver is locking up the human tornado's services right now though. Contracts & decimal points are meaningless to me, but landing a monster DE in Denver for #18 sure does. Come on Mr. Bowlen. Don't let Manning down. Thank you. 

I believe NE just signed John Abraham. I doubt they have enough cap space to sign Dwight Freeney too. But, the Patriots are skilled at convincing seasoned veterans to take less money for a Championship bid so who knows. I respect the Foxboro franchise, but there must be limits to all the talent they acquire on an annual basis. Come on Dwight. Stick with Peyton. The QB you know like a tailored glove. Please... haha  

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9055463/dwight-freeney-john-abraham-adrian-wilson-visiting-patriots-sources

If we that knd of money why not sign dumervil. we would be set at pass rush and when the draft comes we ccan take bpa. maybe a wide out in the first and oline after.

Very good player but he's older and while we have the money this year, we might not a year from now.

This is one of the problems perpetually bad teams have, they spend a bunch of money because they have it, then release those pricey players a couple of years later because they can't afford them, putting them in a constant rebuild mode.

So it's not all about the cap we have now.

We do have enough. I'd think he'd have a market like Avril's, and maybe could sign for two years, $15m.

But I'm not sure I like that idea for us. He's 29, and a great pass rusher. But he's only a pass rusher. A liability against the run. Much like Avril, if you ask me. And I wasn't excited about him either. I'd rather we add another pass rusher in the draft.

yea, but there are 3 DL, 3 LB and probably 1 S that could/should stop the run. The Rush OLB takes some pressure off the CB's and totally disrupts the QB. i think its worth a shot, imho.

I could care less what or who Denver gets. When we play them. Manning will be the enemy! ;)

True, the Broncos are an INDY rival NewEra, but I am a firm believer in taking care of players that win a boat load of games for your franchise. If their salaries get too large to keep on a roster, I at least want these proven NFL commodities to land with a respectable contract in a Playoff bound city & Dwight Freeney needs to be taken care of. He's earned that right IMHO.

Even if that new home is not ultimately Denver. I hope it is, but I won't hold it against Dwight if he goes to New England either. Both Denver & Massachusetts give him a great shot at another ring. "That's why we play the game." To win this: :lombardi:

True, the Broncos are an INDY rival NewEra, but I am a firm believer in taking care of players that win a boat load of games for your franchise. If their salaries get too large to keep on a roster, I at least want these proven NFL commodities to land with a respectable contract in a Playoff bound city & Dwight Freeney needs to be taken care of. He's earned that right IMHO.

Even if that new home is not ultimately Denver. I hope it is, but I won't hold it against Dwight if he goes to New England either. Both Denver & Massachusetts give him a great shot at another ring. "That's why we play the game." To win this: :lombardi:

Yeah, I'd think it be nice if he went to Denver and teamed up with manning. I still hate the pats to much. And neither are winning a sb cause we are knocking them out! Ahhhhh!!! Heh

yeah thats a great point.  while mathis is one of my alltime favorites  i've gota bad feeling that we're going to see that without freeny on the other side drawing double teams maybe we wont have that great pass rush we had before.  i dont think mathis will be as good without someone like freeny on the other side. hoping walden can be that guy but not comfartable with it.

Very good player but he's older and while we have the money this year, we might not a year from now.
This is one of the problems perpetually bad teams have, they spend a bunch of money because they have it, then release those pricey players a couple of years later because they can't afford them, putting them in a constant rebuild mode.

So it's not all about the cap we have now.

although a siging with colts and dumervil would be a nice scenario.  Chances of this happening are slim to none.  Chuck and Grigs seem to be pretty happy with jerry hughes replacing freeney.  i could be wrong but more than likely you wont see more than just a passing interest in dumervil by the colts.

Dbrownbomber idk mathis had more sacks when freeney was injured and not playing last season.  I think hes just as effective with or without freeney its just always nice to know you got another freak on the other side that needs a double team to protect their passer.