Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Dumervil Saga: Released! (merge) (confirmed)

Dustin

Not Crazy, Rahim Moore Was covering the faxing by the agent to make sure it arrived in time but he was out of position to act as was lined up on wrong side of room to see

Hilarious man. Made me laugh out loud. Perhaps Manning was taking a knee when the fax came in.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was saying the Broncos have a dead hit of $5M. I'm not a cap guy, but that means they have to pay him his $5M. So if he gets a new contract from where ever he'll get mabye $7M from some else then the $5M from the Broncos due to dead hit. Giving him the $12M.

Crazy theory maybe, but everything about this is crazy.

If I was Doom I'd sign a contract worth $3M this year, then have the same #'s for the following years as the last contract. That is if he TRULY wants to stay in Denver.

I'm not exactly a cap guy either, but things sink in just from reading here and elsewhere. I'm assuming that the $5 is just a mirage - a technical cap hit related to previous bonuses being accelerated upon his release. The only way that he would get more cash from them now would be if part of his $12 mil upcoming salary is guaranteed. Maybe it is, but I didn't think so.

Hilarious man. Made me laugh out loud. Perhaps Manning was taking a knee when the fax came in.

Had  to say how i felt , and it was shocking like  that play,  

wish can stay on boards , maybe something will develop, but at 4 pm eastern daily i get busy, this is already to late 

Have a great weekend

Why on earth would Doom agree to a pay cut?? And who on earth still uses fax machines???

Because his agent tested the market to see what the level of interest was, and saw the contracts being signed for other DEs. He agreed to reduce his contract to a level similar to what he would have gotten elsewhere, without having to uproot his entire life while going to a different system/coaches and a less competitive team. The actual question all week was why WOULDN'T he agree to a pay cut? The fact that he waited to the last second and ruined the deal hurts himself more than anyone.

Just fire the agent, go to arbitration, let the judge see no preponderance in this situation on Doom's side, and then Dumervil is back with the Broncos and the agent wont see a dime of it.

Thus Doom saves agent's commission in the re-structured contract.

Just fire the agent, go to arbitration, let the judge see no preponderance in this situation on Doom's side, and then Dumervil is back with the Broncos and the agent wont see a dime of it.

Will never happen.

Sounds good to me. I'm also hoping that they can just redo the contract again to keep the current total cap hit the same. It would certainly be quicker - like this afternoon if everyone wanted it. The sticky point would be that the amount they'd need to reclassify as a signing bonus to make it work might force the total guaranteed portion of his contract higher than it was previously.

Why would Doom agree to a pay cut?? And who on earth still uses fax machines???

That is the first thing I thought. Scan to .pdf and e-mail it.

I can tell you that fax machines are still widely used in the business community, especially for legal documents.  This is not at all strange.

I've heard that Denver has to eat about 5 mil in dead money as a result of this gaffe. Just out of curiosity, does Dumervil collect on any of those funds, or is it purely a salary cap hit for Denver? I only ask because if he earns a portion of that, he may be more inclined to sign with another team for a smaller deal than he otherwise may have. Clearly I'm getting at a lottery style long-shot, in which we sign him at a bargain price haha.

Only takes one team.

Once again, you are ignoring the fact that when it became clear what the Broncos wanted to do well before free agency started. If the Titans wanted to give Dumervil a boatload of money, it would have become evident when the agent called them. Apparently neither they (nor anybody else) was interested in doing so. And if all another team offered was a market rate contract, and the Broncos were also offering a market rate contract, why bother to change teams? To spite Elway? There doesn't appear to any animosity. He wants to stay, and they want to have him. And there is also something to be said for being on a super bowl contender. It's hard to imagine him taking - for example - an extra million over three years to play for a team going nowhere.

Will never happen.

If there is a will, there is a way :). It depends on whether they have the intentions to get things corrected and acknowledge it as an honest mistake on the agent's part. If Doom did text his friends around 1:54 p.m. as to coming back (as reported), there might be evidence that can hold up in court. If they intentionally sent it late with collusion, then they wont even go to court.

Funny, I thought the same thing about Welker...don't be so naive...why wait to the last seven minutes then and risk it? The spite is from being asked to reduce a salary that was on paper.

Once again, you are ignoring the fact that when it became clear what the Broncos wanted to do well before free agency started. If the Titans wanted to give Dumervil a boatload of money, it would have become evident when the agent called them. Apparently neither they (nor anybody else) was interested in doing so. And if all another team offered was a market rate contract, and the Broncos were also offering a market rate contract, why bother to change teams? To spite Elway? There doesn't appear to any animosity. He wants to stay, and they want to have him. And there is also something to be said for being on a super bowl contender. It's hard to imagine him taking - for example - an extra million over three years to play for a team going nowhere.

I can tell you that fax machines are still widely used in the business community, especially for legal documents.  This is not at all strange.

Exactly. Particularly among smaller companies (which his agent may well be), and perhaps more relevantly in this case - amongst individuals. The problem may have been with Dumervil faxing it from home for all we know.

I have a decent multi-purpose machine at home that I could theoretically use to scan and then email, but if you are working with a printed copy (which is obviously the situation when a signature is required) if would be infinitely quicker and easier to use the same machine to fax it instead. The company receiving it may well have sophisticated enough machines to receive said fax directly into their computers, but faxes still have a routine place in the world.

Funny, I thought the same thing about Welker...don't be so naive...why wait to the last seven minutes then and risk it? The spite is from being asked to reduce a salary that was on paper.

The contract didn't get faxed to them until 3:30. Ever tried looking for every loophole or clause in a contract in under 30 minutes?

The contract didn't get faxed to them until 3:30. Ever tried looking for every loophole or clause in a contract in under 30 minutes.

I would imagine that is common for agents during FA period. I mean drive the thing over. PDF and email it. Anything but fax.

It was seven minutes late. The agreement was reached 35 minutes early. I'm sure that contracts are processed at the last minute all the time. Obviously he was holding out hope that someone else would make a better offer, or that the Broncos would cave. It's a game of poker and he didn't know if the team was bluffing.

Did Welker wait until the last second and then blow it on a technicality? It was pretty obvious that the Pats only wanted him at a set price, and he decided to go elsewhere instead. Here the Broncos only wanted Dumervil at a set price, and he agreed to it. What am I being naive about? What exactly was gained by either side by this error? If he was all that spiteful he would have told them where to stick the contract, not signed it and then made himself look like a buffoon.

BROKEN FAX MACHINE & AGENT WOULDNT USE FASTER MEANS THAT BRONCOS ASKED FOR

The Broncos gave Dumervil's agent, Marty Magid, a 1:00 p.m. MT deadline to accept the deal, according to NFL.com's Albert Breer, but they didn't hear from Dumervil's camp until 1:25 p.m.

The two sides had reached a verbal agreement with 35 minutes to spare, but Dumervil's agent failed to send the fax through on time, according to Darlington. In a bind at 1:59 p.m. MT, the team was forced to waive Dumervil rather than getting stuck paying the full $12 million

"We had to protect ourselves," a Broncos source explained to Darlington.

With one of the fax machines apparently on the fritz, the Broncos front office frantically attempted to get Dumervil's agent to send the paperwork through a more modern channel. Those efforts were in vain, leading a team source to tell Darlington the agent made a "colossal mistake."

While Dumervil is stuck in limbo, this debaculous fiasco leaves us wondering why 1980s technology is still the communication method of choice in the year 2013.

In a league in which players have traded in their playbooks for iPads, the logical inference is that the fax machine should have gone the way of the passenger pigeon by now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151159/article/elvis-dumervil-released-by-broncos-after-fax-blunder

As I asked my financial advisor the other day....who in the  :cuss: uses a fax today anyway.....it is  :censored: 2013....

7 minutes to go...heck he may have sent the fax yesterday and it is just now arriving....a FAX>>>>>URRRGH! :hairout:  haha  :lol:  :funny:

Brent, alot of people still use FAX for signed legal documents, etc...   What I find more disturbing, and down right assinine,  is to wait until the last minute, and cutting it that close...     If it was me,  I'd find a new Agent.

Brent, alot of people still use FAX for signed legal documents, etc...   What I find more disturbing, and down right assinine,  is to wait until the last minute, and cutting it that close...     If it was me,  I'd find a new Agent.

I know...they are unreliable..really despise them in today's modern world...I bet the fax in this scenario was sent in plenty of time and did not go through.....like I said...I despise them.