Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All the Free Agents/Pieces added thus far/Our free agents....Overall Grades and Comments (merge)

Rebelknight

One thing that is lost in all this is the fact Grigs has us set up to be able to take the best player availble or be able to trade back. We wont have to reach on a guy. Every year there are players that fall to the back end of the draft. This year it is a good year to be in the 20's with a draft pick. Teams will want to jump in front of other teams..

I would like to see us add more cheap depth though...Although what about a Brady Quinn as our backup QB?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that is lost in all this is the fact Grigs has us set up to be able to take the best player availble or be able to trade back. We wont have to reach on a guy. Every year there are players that fall to the back end of the draft. This year it is a good year to be in the 20's with a draft pick. Teams will want to jump in front of other teams..

I would like to see us add more cheap depth though...Although what about a Brady Quinn as our backup QB?

Dont think thats been lost on many of us!!!

The FA signings make the draft gravy...

Im ready to say Harnish would be a decent backup. He had good numbers in college and play pretty darn good in the preseason. Granted it was the preseason.

If we sign RJF, then the only positions we need to fill are OLB, LG, WR.

I think we use our 1st rounder on a pass rushing OLB, our 3rd rounder on a tall, savvy receiver, and our 4th on a big and strong LG. the other 2 picks will be kicker and another DE to add some depth.

I think we use our 1st rounder on a pass rushing OLB, our 3rd rounder on a tall, savvy receiver, and our 4th on a big and strong LG. the other 2 picks will be kicker and another DE to add some depth.

I'd be ok with that. Or switch those 2 and I wouldn't mind getting a WR like Hunter in the first, and then OLB/OG with the 3rd rd. Love the fact that we can take best player available now 

I have a question for "BestQBever"....    and it has nothing to do with your comment.

My question is this....   why is your screen name "bestQBever"  and I assume it's Manning rather than Luck (though it makes no difference to me)  and yet your picture, your avatar appears to be TY Hilton?

Wouldn't your avatar be some picture of the guy who you think is The Best QB Ever??

Just wondering?

1) cornerstone RT. Atleast that's the hope and the kind of $ they have Cherilus. Big need and it sounds like he's a solid guy.

2) Pro Bowl SS. Great move and when he's healthy he's top 5 or 10 in the NFL. "Building the monster" with a  monster.

3) Rising guard prospect. Just what the Dr. ordered. Even though I wanted Levitre or Vasquez I don't mind this signing. The guy had a great year in NE.

4) #2 CB. Toler sounds like a good pickup and even though they threw a little more $ than he should have gotten I'm OK with this. He is physical and can cover. Only question is durability.

Last but not least

5) A NEW ELITE RUSH LB: yes that's right. The signing of Walden(who is a strong side LB)actually allowed us to move Robert Mathis to his more natural position and turn him loose on the QB. So, I'm looking at the Walden signing as a big win because there was no one NO ONE on the market with Mathis' skills rushing the passer so all in all this was a good move.

I'm liking the moves but the only ? will be durability with some of these guys

I am just massively disappointed with the lack of Receiver talent in FA, because I really do not want us to reach at #24, as the draft isn't great at the top-end in terms of WR either.

There's quite a few receivers still on the market, we could still end up signing one for cheap.

i think we are in good position to trade down if we want and get some more picks. It could be the right move

I am just massively disappointed with the lack of Receiver talent in FA, because I really do not want us to reach at #24, as the draft isn't great at the top-end in terms of WR either.

Also, I think some of the recievers we have now just need a chance to play.

Sure, I like Whalen, and we all knew Brazill was raw coming out anyway.  That still makes us a bit thin at the position though, with those 4 guys, though if Pep plans on running more 2 TE sets it may not be so bad.  Wouldn't mind bringing in a guy with good size who's been stuck with a bad team like Massaquoi or Doucet.  Either one would probably come fairly cheap and bring a high ceiling.

And if we can sign The Frenchman today. I honestly believe that our defense is set.

I could definitely see us trading back in the draft and grab a few more picks to add more depth on the offense and defense.

I think Walden will be a surprise for us, I think he will have better stats than Freeney.

I thought we did very well and filled at least 4 (O-line, corner. safety, true 3-4 linebacker) needs

Everyone is either 27 or 28.....right>?

We didnt sign old guys ..and Landry has a little Bob Sanders in him..

I cant find anything to be unhappy about ...and, correct me if I'm wrong, but we still are well under the salary cap...right?

5) A NEW ELITE RUSH LB: yes that's right. The signing of Walden(who is a strong side LB)actually allowed us to move Robert Mathis to his more natural position and turn him loose on the QB. So, I'm looking at the Walden signing as a big win because there was no one NO ONE on the market with Mathis' skills rushing the passer so all in all this was a good move.

Let's not forget about Jake Killeen.

And if we can sign The Frenchman today. I honestly believe that our defense is set.

I could definitely see us trading back in the draft and grab a few more picks to add more depth on the offense and defense.

I think Walden will be a surprise for us, I think he will have better stats than Freeney.

Who is 'the Frenchman' .......Tark

If I recall, they got Marvin in the low 20's and Wayne around 30 so maybe they won't have to reach at 24.

While we didnt go after very big names, this is what we did do. Pag and Grig knew the guys they wanted and they got them. Everyone that visited, was signed. They hit the targets they wanted early. As for overpaying. Thats how Free Agency goes. Market value plus a little extra to outbid other teams. We upgraded a lot of spots, made the money go around.

Big Props to FO of the Colts. I would rather waste 4-6 Million on a guy for 1 or 2 years and have him bust then waste 10-12 Million on a guy and have him bust. 

I have a question for "BestQBever"....    and it has nothing to do with your comment.

My question is this....   why is your screen name "bestQBever"  and I assume it's Manning rather than Luck (though it makes no difference to me)  and yet your picture, your avatar appears to be TY Hilton?

Wouldn't your avatar be some picture of the guy who you think is The Best QB Ever??

Just wondering?

never noticed that. thanks for pointing it out. btw, it was supposed to manning.

Just wondering?

and i could point out that your name says NewColtsFan, but you've posted close to 3000 times, which means you must have been on this forum for quite a while.

Despite the obvious overpaying to some free agents, I love the moves made to the defense. Of our starting defensive lineup there is not one player I see as below average or even average. Davis, Bethea, Landry and Mathis are all definitely above average while RJF, Angerer, Toler, Butler, and Chapman are all known to have potential or be at least average but more on the above average side. Then there's unproven guys like Walden, Hughes, and Redding but each of those players have some upside. What I'm saying is we could possibly have a starting defensive lineup of all above average players. When was the last time that was the case in Indy? And on top of that the players we signed are hard hitting guys that will make the WR's a little scared and QB's worried to throw into tight spaces. All in all, I like what Grigs did this year signing a ton of good players rather than 2 or 3 great players who by the time we know it would be old but with huge contracts. 

RJF was a vital part of a great 49ers defense, Toler was ranked the 5th cornerback in allowing the least QBR to QB's throwing to them and also had a PFF 2012 grade of +6.7 which is above average, Landry was a pro bowler last year and when healthy is a top 10 S in the league, I don't know too much about Sidbury but I've heard he has potential though is a head case (hopefully Pags can fix that somehow), and finally we resigned Butler, a huge playmaker last year for us and actually registered 2nd best QBR against from a Cornerback. Very underrated imo. 

If there was one more move I would like though it would be getting Moore or Vollmer. That would truly end this free agency period on a high not. Grigs, get it done!