Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All the Free Agents/Pieces added thus far/Our free agents....Overall Grades and Comments (merge)

Rebelknight

I don't know much about Mt. Cody but just because he was better than Chapman at Bama doesn't mean that Chapman can't be better than him in the NFL. It could be something as simple as Cody not having the work ethic or drive to succeed at the NFL level while Chapman does. There is only one way we are going to find out and that's during a game starting in September.

True. Some people expect him to be our starting NT day one, and the guy hasn't played in almost two years. Not to mention he has about two weeks of practice against pro players an no real game time. I was just pointing out that we need to have realistic expectations.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Nevis would excel in that type of situation, but I still think he can excel here as well. Our defense is a hybrid so there's still definitely a spot for him. Last year, against more run heavy teams they ran mostly from a 3-4 front, but against passing teams they went with a lot more 4-man fronts. In those 4 man fronts, Nevis was definitely effective and got a good push on the pocket. I'd say he and Redding give us the best interior pass rush so he'll definitely still see the field quite a bit provided he stays healthy. He's definitely not the best 5 tech DE but I don't think he's terrible either, so he's good for the rotation.

Actually if there were someone I'd be ok with letting go who I think should be in an exclusive 4-3 team it'd be Ricardo Matthews.

Imo Nevis does have the drive and motor to excel whereever he pleases. I look at him as more of a gap shooter tho. Suited for 1 gap schemes. Could be just me

Agree about Zibs, but the coaches played him none the less.  As far as the NT, I've said this before.  Remember MT. Cody at Bama?  He was a legend there, all american first team, and a first round pick by the Ravens.  He still hasn't cracked the starting line up.  Admitting that Baltimore has a lot more talent at NT than we do, but still it goes to show that's not an easy position to learn in the NFL.

Chapman was a nice player at Bama, and about 40 lbs smaller than Cody.  I hope the kid does well but we have to have realistic expectations for him.  I'm really hoping he works out and anchors that D for years to come.

Small nit to pick....

Cody was actually not a 1st round pick.   He went in the 2nd round.   I think his massive weight prevented him from being taken any higher.     Still,  a 2nd round pick for a nose tackle is a high pick.

Just wanted us all on the same page for purposes of the discussion....    

Otherwise,   no biggie....

Imo Nevis does have the drive and motor to excel whereever he pleases. I look at him as more of a gap shooter tho. Suited for 1 gap schemes. Could be just me

No I agree with you completely...he's better as a gap shooter, which is why I like him in our Nickel package when they use a 4 man front.  He gets good pressure up the middle which will really help out the edge rushers and vice versa.  He's probably average to slightly above average as a 2-gap DE so he's ok in rotation to spell Redding, Moala and RJF, but his value really comes into play when they go to a 4 man front, which is what they primarily used last year against pass-heavy teams like New England and Green Bay. :)

Small nit to pick....

Cody was actually not a 1st round pick.   He went in the 2nd round.   I think his massive weight prevented him from being taken any higher.     Still,  a 2nd round pick for a nose tackle is a high pick.

Just wanted us all on the same page for purposes of the discussion....    

Otherwise,   no biggie....

You are correct sir! You'd think I'd know that, living with all these Bama Jamers down here. And having one going to school there! I guess I'm used to Bama players going in the first round and took it for granted.

You're right, his weight dropped him to the second. They wanted him down to 340. That still cracks me up.