Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson's Remarks Regarding Each New Free Agent

HarassedOffTheSite

From the IndyStar article: Colts' GM Ryan Grigson avoids 'dream team' approach, discusses new additions

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130313/sports15/303130056/1058/sports03?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Here’s Grigson’s Cliff’s Notes appraisal of his five new players.

• On Cherilus: “Gosder is a guy — you can’t coach 6-6, 320 — that plays snap to whistle and doesn’t take any flak from anyone. He’s out there fighting and scraping through every whistle. He plays hard. “I like how he plays the game. We like his approach. He’s 28, has tremendous amount of experience. You can count on him, and that’s what you need in protecting your edges.”

• On Thomas: “Another husky in the building. I was at his pro day coming out. He’s got a good number of starts under his belt. His arrow’s up. Played at a high level and played for a great organization (New England) and was highly productive on film against good players. “He’s going to compete for one of the guard spots. He bolsters the interior. He can play three positions.”

• On Walden: “In this defense, we’re always trying to get players who are really good fits for Chuck and what he’s trying to do. Erik is one of those guys for a long time you just see flying around. He plays really hard. The one thing that sticks out about Erik: He sets the edge and in a 3-4 that’s something your outside linebacker has to do. This guy does it in a textbook way. He jolts people’s heads back on contact. He’s violent with his hands. His motor never stops.”

• On Sidbury: “A guy who has always played in a 4-3. 6-3, 270. He had four sacks a couple of years ago. We feel the arrow’s up on Lawrence. It’s going to take some time for him to learn the scheme. I think he’s a good fit. It’s up to him.”

• On Toler: “He is a really exceptional athlete. Can run, has great quickness. But like Vontae (Davis), he’s a gifted cover man with great athletic ability, but he’s not afraid to stick his nose in there. He will tackle you. He’s not a late arriver. He’s not afraid to get his jersey dirty. “We’re delighted we were able to get him here. We feel we have a strong tandem moving forward.”

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Political *, he simply is missing out on his targets.

Totally disagree. Do you know how much talent is still on the market? Take a look at existing DL and DB FAs. There will be more moves. IMO, the moves were made yesterday to ensure depth on the roster with the exception of GC and Toler, who will start. To sign all top-notch FAs on day 1 is the worst mistake a team can make. Price automatically drops in the coming days. Look at how good franchises around the league operate and the Colts are doing the same (with the exception of being a little more aggressive with second tier players because of a lack of depth on the roster and a short amount of draft picks). 

Whether you agree with his approach or not, I think it's becoming clear that his targets were not the guys everyone expected them to be. It doesn't seem that he really considered paying guys like Kruger, Levitre and Vasquez the money that they wound up getting.

Whether you agree with his approach or not, I think it's becoming clear that his targets were not the guys everyone expected them to be. It doesn't seem that he really considered paying guys like Kruger, Levitre and Vasquez the money that they. wound up getting.

Instead he over pays for scrubs

Nonsense.....you don't build a solid 53-man roster by blowing $40M in cap space on 2 or 3 players. And you have no idea who Grigson's targets are.

We just watched the last 10-12 years where our cap space was 20% invested in a QB and a DE...and at the same time we were chronically terrible in several other positions, which along with less than stellar post-season play from those two fellers, got us bounced out of the playoffs every year but one.

You CANNOT break the bank on a small handful of players and expect good odds of winning Super Bowls...Colts fans should know that better than anyone.

I like how most of y'all are rationalizing this failure of a free agency

I like how you're calling free agency a failure when it's not over and none of the guys have stepped on the field yet.

People were saying last years draft was a failure as well, remember?

I think that the majority of fans are just glad you are probably flipping burgers at Burger King and not making decisions for the Colts. Let the smart people make the decisions and you concentrate on not burning people's order's.

I think that the majority of fans are just glad you are probably flipping burgers at Burger King and not making decisions for the Colts. Let the smart people make the decisions and you concentrate on not burning people's order's.

:lol:

So Toler is our number #2 by the sounds of things. Looks like all speculation on big-name FA CBs and 1st round draft CBs can finally be put to bed.

On CBSsportsline list of the top 100 FA's this yr. Toler was rated #54, ahead of DRC, Keenen Lewis, and Cary Williams. People that don't like this signing(not talking about you) obviously have no clue what they're talking about. I have heard nothing but good things about this guy.

I didn't know you were such a expert GM. Seriously the experts, even Polian loves our first day of free agency. We filled nearly every hole on the team and we still have plenty of money to make more moves.

Our draft could end up being pure luxury, just take best player available.

Who did YOU want?

Name names and state why we blew it by not getting them....keeping in mind of course that there are 5-10 other NFL teams with a lot of cap space.

And make sure you include the contract prices they were signed to and how they fit our system.

If you're gonna lob grenades at an NFL GM you should at least explain YOUR rationale.

On CBSsportsline list of the top 100 FA's this yr. Toler was rated #54, ahead of DRC, Keenen Lewis, and Cary Williams. People that don't like this signing(not talking about you) obviously have no clue what they're talking about. I have heard nothing but good things about this guy.

I won't act like I was a huge advocate of Toler before we grabbed him but in hindsight I am very happy with the pickup. I don't think we were ever going wrong with CB in FA to be honest, a lot of good players there, so plenty of teams will find value in that market.

Yeah cause you can clearly see into the future and know they won't work out. You're just one of those typical fans who want the name, glory and headlines. This year is no different from last year. Grigson rolls up his sleeves and goes to work. Finds the guys on the way up. Not that are already up or just contract hungry. So enjoy your cheese with all that whining you're doing.

Oh yeah, last years gm of the YEAR!!

Yeah cause you can clearly see into the future and know they won't work out. You're just one of those typical fans who want the name, glory and headlines. This year is no different from last year. Grigson rolls up his sleeves and goes to work. Finds the guys on the way up. Not that are already up or just contract hungry. So enjoy your cheese with all that whining you're doing.

No, and I shouldn't worry what a scrub named sidbury or waldo is making, they shouldn't be on the darn team to begin with

Lol I think your fishing and Im not gonna take yout bait it smells.  Anyways I like what Grigs has done so far with the teams money and with the additons to the roster. Gonna make the draft a lot easier for us to take BPA.

I bet Walden is only making about 1 million this year, its up to him if he wants to make the rest of that money. Someone like Kruger, who's a late up and comer by the way, would demand a ton of guaranteed money. We made moves that keeps players hungry.

To heck with headlines! I'd rather be on the second page with all the other smart moves.

I like how you're calling free agency a failure when it's not over and none of the guys have stepped on the field yet.

People were saying last years draft was a failure as well, remember?

People were saying last year's draft was a failure??       Who said that?!?

Maybe some fans here on this website,   but other than that,  who would say such a foolish thing?!?

That draft was a home-run from day 1.

People were saying last year's draft was a failure??       Who said that?!?

Maybe some fans here on this website,   but other than that,  who would say such a foolish thing?!?

That draft was a home-run from day 1.

A lot people on here were critizing Grigson for basically going all in on offense.

No, and I shouldn't worry what a scrub named sidbury or waldo is making, they shouldn't be on the darn team to begin with

they deserve to be on the darn team more than you deserve to call yourself a colts fan.  we don't need ya