Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney Headed To Denver(?)

King Colt

I would have had to hear the entire conversation to decipher the context, but maybe they were talking about another team because Freeney won't be back here. He's already been told we aren't resigning him so I don't know what they could have meant unless they were talking about another team.

Yesterday afternoon ESPN stated if the money is not right Freeney may be headed to Denver. I am not sure what they meant  when they said money. I thought it was pretty much in granite that Freeney was gone.

If Dumervil does'nt take a pay cut , Denver papers are reporting that Freeney could be signed to replace him . The Broncos believe he makes to much . They won't renegotiate his contract they want him to take a pay cut or be cut ..

If Dumervil does'nt take a pay cut , Denver papers are reporting that Freeney could be signed to replace him . The Broncos believe he makes to much . They won't renegotiate his contract they want him to take a pay cut or be cut ..

....and there it is!

If I was a 33 year-old DE heading toward the twilight of my career, the last place I would want to play is a mile high in the sky!  I love Denver, but when I was 34 I really had a hard time catching my breath in thin air.

Yes it effects people differently (See Pittsburgh Steelers Ryan Clark) , but my thought is D Free would have to be in the best shape of his career.  Does he have that work ethic left in the tank?

I would like to watch him play and we get so many number 18 games.....time will tell....:)

I thought Denver ran a 3-4 too??

No, it is a 4-3 primarily. Every once in a while, Von Miller plays Joker and drops back or they have Doom or Miller rushing from a 2-pt stance. Jack Del Rio mixes it up but when Miller and Doom could not get past the Ravens' OL (singular reason for Ravens' offensive turnaround, IMO), there wasn't much he could do with enough holes in the secondary in the playoffs.

No, it is a 4-3 primarily. Every once in a while, Von Miller plays Joker and drops back or they have Doom or Miller rushing from a 2-pt stance. Jack Del Rio mixes it up but when Miller and Doom could not get past the Ravens' OL (singular reason for Ravens' offensive turnaround, IMO), there wasn't much he could do with enough holes in the secondary.

I just always see Von in a Rushing stance. That's a confusing defense haha

Sign Dumervil to a 1 yr. deal and let him put Peyton his back at Lucas Oil Stadium :) this year when we play them. He has done better as a 3-4 OLB anyway.

i actually like this and i know people wont lol. but when he was with Mike Nolan he was unstoppable

i don't see it. freeney is older and not as good at this point of his career. he's not a real replacement or the colts would have worked out a deal. i can't see freeney taking that big of a pay cut just to play somewhere. after making 15 million last year what do people think he will play for now? 4 million or less? he is a part time situational player now. i think too many people are living in the past.

If I was a 33 year-old DE heading toward the twilight of my career, the last place I would want to play is a mile high in the sky!  I love Denver, but when I was 34 I really had a hard time catching my breath in thin air.

Yes it effects people differently (See Pittsburgh Steelers Ryan Clark) , but my thought is D Free would have to be in the best shape of his career.  Does he have that work ethic left in the tank?

I would like to watch him play and we get so many number 18 games.....time will tell.... :)

Freeney works best on carpet

In the training room at this age...and injury prone....and rich as a ______!!!   :)

Ya, I think Freeney has a season or two left if he's used right. I do think he is probably a 3rd down pass rusher at this point. Heck if they used Freeney just in passing situations i think he could still get a team 8 or 10 sacks a season. He still has some left in the tank but the mileage is starting to show.

Is every Colts player going to be linked to Denver now that Peyton is there?

I heard teams were going to change names.

In a 3 way move...

The Denver Broncos are now the Denver Colts

The Indianapolis Colts are now the Indianapolis Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals are now the Arizona Broncos (this one doens't make sense, but it needed to happen for us to get the Cardinals)

For what its worth, Dfree will get 8 or more sacks next year in a 4-3. IMO. I don't care if he is going to be 39, many teams will want to pay for that production. Just because he had a down year in a system and a position that didn't fit him, doesn't mean he is in the final twilight of his career.

If you are a QB and he is coming on your blindside the next day.....your still thinking about it....

Ya, I think Freeney has a season or two left if he's used right. I do think he is probably a 3rd down pass rusher at this point. Heck if they used Freeney just in passing situations i think he could still get a team 8 or 10 sacks a season. He still has some left in the tank but the mileage is starting to show.

I love Free, but that ankle has been giving him fits for a couple of years.  I hurt my right ankle at his age, and it hurts every single day....I will still root for him for sure.  If he is healthy, he will be hunting NFL QBs.... :nfl:  :nfl:  :nfl:

I heard teams were going to change names.

In a 3 way move...

The Denver Broncos are now the Denver Colts

The Indianapolis Colts are now the Indianapolis Cardinals

The Arizona Cardinals are now the Arizona Broncos (this one doens't make sense, but it needed to happen for us to get the Cardinals)

HMMMMM we need to get the Stanford Cardinal in there somehow......(Indy's Minor league franchise?)  :)

For what its worth, Dfree will get 8 or more sacks next year in a 4-3. IMO. I don't care if he is going to be 39, many teams will want to pay for that production. Just because he had a down year in a system and a position that didn't fit him, doesn't mean he is in the final twilight of his career.

If you are a QB and he is coming on your blindside the next day.....you're still thinking about it....

I know I would not like to be hit by Free at full speed!!!  Nice post Warhorse!!!

I love Free, but that ankle has been giving him fits for a couple of years.  I hurt my right ankle at his age, and it hurts every single day....I will still root for him for sure.  If he is healthy, he will be hunting NFL QBs.... :nfl:  :nfl:  :nfl:

Must be a common probelm lol. I severely sprained mine about 7 years ago(sprained it a couple of times in sports in high school)and I have bone chips and spurs floating around in it. Sprained it again in December and it hurt like crazy and is just now getting to the point it doesn't ache all day long.

Must be a common probelm lol. I severely sprained mine about 7 years ago(sprained it a couple of times in sports in high school)and I have bone chips and spurs floating around in it. Sprained it again in December and it hurt like crazy and is just now getting to the point it doesn't ache all day long.

That old ankle can be awfully pesky anarchist!!  I know when rain and snow is coming for sure  haha

Crunched some quick numbers.

Freeney Age 33, since 2008

67 starts, 47.5 sacks, 87 tackles, 13FF

Elvis Age 30, since 2008 (missed all of 2010 w injury)

59starts, 42.5 sacks, 121 tackles, 11FF

Why part with one to get the other?

Money. No way Freeney commands the money Dumervil does.

i don't see it. freeney is older and not as good at this point of his career. he's not a real replacement or the colts would have worked out a deal. i can't see freeney taking that big of a pay cut just to play somewhere. after making 15 million last year what do people think he will play for now? 4 million or less? he is a part time situational player now. i think too many people are living in the past.

Freeney already took a pay cut when his deal ended....Sure, he'd play for less on a contender.....

..or he wont play...

He didnt leave Indy in a contract dispute....WE told him he wasnt in our plans...

Forget the stats///I thought he still drew double teams on 3rd down last year....didnt you?.

..and if you're just playing on 3rd down like anarchist said....he'd be a great help.

they only need him for the playoffs