Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 03/02

sb41champs

It really makes no sense. I think that he is a good QB and getting better, but certainly not deserving of anything close to the top salary at the position. The Ravens defense is about to lose two key pieces to age at the same time they this signing crimps their salary cap. By definition this "slants" the team towards the offensive side of the ball for perhaps the first time in their history, yet I find it hard to believe that Flacco is good enough to carry his team in the manner that this implies. Don't get me wrong, there were times this post-season where he seemed like exactly that kind of player - but consistency is everything when the team is built around you. Unless he takes another big step forward, this could get ugly.

Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco has agreed to the "richest QB contract in the history of the NFL" !!

Do YOU feel he has "the resume" for a contract richer than QB Peyton Manning - QB Drew Brees - and/or - QB Aaron Rodgers ??

The weird thing is Flacco is the richest QB right now yes, but eventually the Ravens front office will ask him to restructure his deal. It happens to every NFL QB. So, this highest paid field general label has a short shelf life. No, even though Flacco has done well in the Playoffs, that has more to do with his WRs, TEs, & protection up front IMO. 

The thing is..its hard to put a price on any player..We can all say Peyton is worth x amount, Brady is worth x amount..but what it really comes down to is that the value of anything is worth what someone will pay for it. So, if Baltimore is willing to pay Flacco whatever the amount is that they are paying him, that is what he is worth, even though it seems to all of us that he is overpaid for his position.

Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco has agreed to the "richest QB contract in the history of the NFL" !!

Do YOU feel he has "the resume" for a contract richer than QB Peyton Manning - QB Drew Brees - and/or - QB Aaron Rodgers ??

No No No and or No

He was lucky to be in a good situation & he made the best of it plus he was lucky to get out of denver with that Win .

So his resume should be lucky dude hits 120.000.000  lottery  . Its hard to be successful with all your eggs in 1 basket .

No No No and or No

So his resume should be lucky dude hits 120.000.000  lottery  . Its hard to be successful with all your eggs in 1 basket .

Yup, all the money to 1 individual player tends to weaken a football team in other areas like the secondary, the defense, & the guys that prevent the QB from getting sacked & decapitated routinely.

Nobody should be surprised, we knew Flacco was going to break the bank. Besides, I am not sure what the big deal is. While I personally don't think ANY player really "deserves" that much money.....hey good for Flacco, he did it and he got it. And he is in his prime. Just hope he does not completely suck next year, that would look bad. lol.

Flacco is a winner and helps lead his teams to the playoffs every year despite his numbers. I am not sure exactly what defines an elite QB either to be honest. Brees didn't even make the playoffs last year without Payton but he is elite according to most. Brees is GOOD but he is one of the biggest stat padders in the game too if not the biggest so everyone ooohs and ahhhs over his records and numbers. Flacco wins the SB and ties a postseason Joe Montana record and everyone acts like it is no big deal but Drew Brees breaks a Unitas regular season consecutive game TD record and some go ballistic.

Peyton is going to be 37 soon and I would not shell out the huge bucks for him either but Elway did and good for Peyton/Broncos, besides Elway needed a bigger name then Tebow IMO to get that guy out of town.

Despite the numbers and the first seed I was never convinced by the eye test alone that he was the same old Peyton. JMO.

Flacco had 11 TDs and no interceptions in this past postseason. If Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers did that then people would be screaming GOAT off the roof tops and would not be making excuses for why Flacco did what he did and how everyone else they played blew it en route to his SB MVP. And lets not act like this Ravens D was amazing either, they were good enough but not as good as past Ravens D's either.

Nobody should be surprised, we knew Flacco was going to break the bank. Besides, I am not sure what the big deal is. While I personally don't think ANY player really "deserves" that much money.....hey good for Flacco, he did it and he got it. And he is in his prime. Just hope he does not completely suck next year, that would look bad. lol.

Flacco is a winner and helps lead his teams to the playoffs every year despite his numbers. I am not sure exactly what defines an elite QB either to be honest. Brees didn't even make the playoffs last year without Payton but he is elite according to most. Brees is GOOD but he is one of the biggest stat padders in the game too if not the biggest so everyone ooohs and ahhhs over his records and numbers. Flacco wins the SB and ties a postseason Joe Montana record and everyone acts like it is no big deal but Drew Brees breaks a Unitas regular season consecutive game TD record and some go ballistic.

Peyton is going to be 37 soon and I would not shell out the huge bucks for him either but Elway did and good for Peyton/Broncos, besides Elway needed a bigger name then Tebow IMO to get that guy out of town.

Despite the numbers and the first seed I was never convinced by the eye test alone that he was the same old Peyton. JMO.

Flacco had 11 TDs and no interceptions in this past postseason. If Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers did that then people would be screaming GOAT off the roof tops and would not be making excuses for why Flacco did what he did and how everyone else they played blew it en route to his SB MVP. And lets not act like this Ravens D was amazing either, they were good enough but not as good as past Ravens D's either.

Yes he had 11 TD's and no picks in one playoff run.  But the guy has not been consistently that good.  He's not carried his team like Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and Brady carry their teams.  

He's an above average/good QB, but he's not an elite QB.  He's certainly not deserving of elite QB money.  The only reason he can ink a deal like this is because it's so insanely hard to find a good QB, that when you have a good QB and his contract runs out you pretty much pay him whatever he wants to keep him on your team.  

This is a unique situation with the player coming off an amazing playoff run following an average regular season. Flacco has got to be thanking his lucky stars that everything worked out, timing-wise, the way it did. Had the Ravens gotten knocked out of the playoffs by the Colts or Broncos (I'm leaving the Patriots out, since that would have been the AFCCG and still represented a decent playoff run), I'm not sure he'd be signed, and if he was, it would certainly be for less.

Flacco reminds me of a player like Drew Bledsoe... huge arm, not mobile, not particularly cerebral as a player... and those players tend to run really hot-and-cold. They may take risks that other QBs won't take with throws, and at times they'll struggle.

I don't think Flacco will ever be a light-em-up-weekly type of guy. The Ravens really aren't that kind of team. They'll take their shots, but he's not going to throw it 40 times a game for them.

Time will tell on his deal. But in the NFL, you get paid for stats/production, or you get paid for winning games. Or both.

The thing is..its hard to put a price on any player..We can all say Peyton is worth x amount, Brady is worth x amount..but what it really comes down to is that the value of anything is worth what someone will pay for it. So, if Baltimore is willing to pay Flacco whatever the amount is that they are paying him, that is what he is worth, even though it seems to all of us that he is overpaid for his position.

Thats true about all things, u want to know value of something, see what it fetches at an auction

This is a unique situation with the player coming off an amazing playoff run following an average regular season. Flacco has got to be thanking his lucky stars that everything worked out, timing-wise, the way it did. Had the Ravens gotten knocked out of the playoffs by the Colts or Broncos (I'm leaving the Patriots out, since that would have been the AFCCG and still represented a decent playoff run), I'm not sure he'd be signed, and if he was, it would certainly be for less.

Flacco reminds me of a player like Drew Bledsoe... huge arm, not mobile, not particularly cerebral as a player... and those players tend to run really hot-and-cold. They may take risks that other QBs won't take with throws, and at times they'll struggle.

Except Drew was better:)

But yeah had he lost a playoff game the contract wouldn't be as big.

But Is it richer adding in inflation?

I bet if you adjust inflation Manning got more.