Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pocket Quarterbacks win Super Bowls

bap1331

Its time we put an end to this Andrew Luck vs. RG3 vs. Russell Wilson debate. Ive always said this and cant stress it enough...

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and now Joe Flacco...the list is endless!!!!

Never has a mobile quarterback really won the Super Bowl...

The problem with quarterbacks like RG3 and Kaepernick is that teams will figure out a way to stop these type of mobile offenses. The offseason is enough time for teams to figure out how to stop the pistol offense.

This past Super Bowl was a perfect example, the Ravens defense contained Kaepernick. The only reason that the 49ers came back was because the blackout gave them a chance to readjust their game plan. It could have easily been a 54 to 3 blowout...

Generally speaking, I agree with this premise. A drop by guy that can read the defense and make a quality decision will always beat the defense. That being said, this crop of mobile QBs as you call them are not Randall Cunninham, Mike Vick, or Vince Young. It is clear that they can drop back, read a defense and beat you from the pocket. My feeling is the same as Colin Cowherd on this subject. If you are a supremely gifted QB athletically and the pocket breaks down or the play breaks down your first instinct is to run and use that God given ability, whereas a guy like Brady, Manning, Flacco are going to stay in the pocket and wait on the play and make the play with their arm. By the way, this is one of the reasons Luck led the league in third down conversions which is the money down for QBs. Muc easier to pick up third and long with your arm than your feet and much safer too. Sometimes less decisions for a QB are better. I also think the injury factor is just so huge in today's game and is one of the main reasons Shanahan drafted Cousins so high the same year he gave away the house to get RG. May have been his best decision as a HC in DC to date.

Steve Young was mobile, Elway was fairly mobile too.  It isn't as common, but a mobile QB can win it all

Pistol ≠ Read Option.

Well, there go both of the things I normally have to say in this situation... :thmup:

Last one in particular always makes me laugh.  Saying people will figure out the pistol is like saying people will figure out the shotgun or people will figure out the singleback.  You run such a wide variety of plays out of those kinds of basic formations that there's really not going to be a single defense to them all short of just consistently winning your individual matchups.

Its time we put an end to this Andrew Luck vs. RG3 vs. Russell Wilson debate

If only it were that simple. We're still debating Manning vs. Brady, and you think you're going to end the newest debate one year into it? Good luck.

I'll also note that being mobile doesn't mean you aren't effective from the pocket. Griffin and Wilson are both very effective pocket passers. So is Kaepernick. Their mobility is just an added weapon, same as Luck's.

I'm just curious if the OP ever has anything to say other then trying to put RG3 down.

-__- there won't be an end to this debate until each of their careers are over.

If only it was that simple. haha

I think that is the start of the real debate. Wait until we have the full careers for Peyton and Tom.

I'm just curious if the OP ever has anything to say other then trying to put RG3 down.

If only it was that simple. haha

I think that is the start of the real debate. Wait until we have the full careers for Peyton and Tom.

O world of sports, why doth thou be so complicated? haha

-__- there won't be an end to this debate until each of their careers are over. A mobile QB can win the big one too. To assume it will never happen just because it hasn't yet isn't wise.

There will never be an end to the debate -  And it happened once the monkey was off Steve Youngs back & although I don't prefer a running QB  I do like Colin Kaepernick & I believe with the team around him he has the best chance of winning a Superbowl before any of the other running  QB . For me mobile is a guy who can move around in the pocket only running if he has too ,

There will never be an end to the debate -  And it happened once the monkey was off Steve Youngs back & although I don't prefer a running QB  I do like Colin Kaepernick & I believe with the team around him he has the best chance of winning a Superbowl before any of the other running  QB . For me mobile is a guy who can move around in the pocket only running if he has too ,

Well my definition of a mobile quarterback is one who can get out of trouble, whether he is in the pocket or picking up a 20 yard first down himself. True, there won't be an end to this debate for a while...but I still think things aren't going to go as expectantly as everyone thinks.

As most of you know, I despise the Pistol, Zone Read, or as I call them the Veer variation offenses.  I will not get on here to talk about defensing them again...because I was sent an article the other day that Bill Polian said exactly the same thing .  Therefore I must be WRONG  :funny:   Just kidding...I stand by my approach :)

One thing I have to say to the topic.  Pocket passers will always be in the NFL....that will never change...Never!! Never ever/never!!!  RG3, Colin Kaepernick, and Russell Wilson have as good of a chance to win a Super Bowl as any QB out there.  They can run like the wind, but these guys can flat out throw the football.  Until the NFL learns how to defense these guys, the sky is the limit to what they can do (Injuries aside with RG3...he Will be back)

With the draft picks the 49er's have, and a second year from Kaep, RG3 and Wilson.....I would not doubt in the least that 1 is not in the Super Bowl again!

Guys...this is coming from someone who wants to destroy the QB in these offenses.....these guys are  :censored2: good QBs in several different systems in my observation! :thmup:

Well my definition of a mobile quarterback is one who can get out of trouble, whether he is in the pocket or picking up a 20 yard first down himself. True, there won't be an end to this debate for a while...but I still think things aren't going to go as expectantly as everyone thinks.

Totally agree this was the way Luck had to play last year . maybe I need to adjust my definition a lil . I just don't put him in the same catagory as RG3 - Wilson - Kaepernick - Vick - V.Young . IMO there running the ball is apart of there offense , In Lucks case self preservation not game plan necessitated being fleet of foot ,   At the combines I coulda swore Eisen or 1 of those dudes said Luck ran the 40  in about the same time as Cam Newton , I did'nt realize that . I have to say thats one more asset #12 has over #18 he can run .

Totally agree this was the way Luck had to play last year . maybe I need to adjust my definition a lil . I just don't put him in the same catagory as RG3 - Wilson - Kaepernick - Vick - V.Young . IMO there running the ball is apart of there offense , In Lucks case self preservation not game plan necessitated being fleet of foot , At the combines I coulda swore Eisen or 1 of those dudes said Luck ran the 40 in about the same time as Cam Newton , I did'nt realize that . I have to say thats one more asset #12 has over #18 he can run .

Yep 12 is fast as heck too, though he doesn't have the designed plays to show it off like the others. I still would group him in with the other guys though, even though people think prototypical passer when they think of him.

As most of you know, I despise the Pistol, Zone Read, or as I call them the Veer variation offenses.  I will not get on here to talk about defensing them again...because I was sent an article the other day that Bill Polian said exactly the same thing .  Therefore I must be WRONG  :funny:   Just kidding...I stand by my approach :)

One thing I have to say to the topic.  Pocket passers will always be in the NFL....that will never change...Never!! Never ever/never!!!  RG3, Colin Kaepernick, and Russell Wilson have as good of a chance to win a Super Bowl as any QB out there.  They can run like the wind, but these guys can flat out throw the football.  Until the NFL learns how to defense these guys, the sky is the limit to what they can do (Injuries aside with RG3...he Will be back)

With the draft picks the 49er's have, and a second year from Kaep, RG3 and Wilson.....I would not doubt in the least that 1 is not in the Super Bowl again!

Guys...this is coming from someone who wants to destroy the QB in these offenses.....these guys are  :censored2: good QBs in several different systems in my observation! :thmup:

I may be in the miority on this but I just was not THAT impressed with Kaep. I thought his play against the Falcons was awful for most of the game and if not for Ryan melting down, he would have lost by two scores most likely. Then he looked even worse in the SB. If the lights don't go out it is a blow out for sure. I think defenses were starting to figure him out late. I mean he got destroyed by Seattle late in the season. I think he will struggle next year IMO.

I may be in the miority on this but I just was not THAT impressed with Kaep. I thought his play against the Falcons was awful for most of the game and if not for Ryan melting down, he would have lost by two scores most likely. Then he looked even worse in the SB. If the lights don't go out it is a blow out for sure. I think defenses were starting to figure him out late. I mean he got destroyed by Seattle late in the season. I think he will struggle next year IMO.

You know, we did not get to see Kaep that much due to them being West Coast. (I do not have NFL Package)  All I can say is I really was amazed by his arm/strength and accuracy throwing.

That said, his speed is 'sick.'  I see Dustin made a post that he only ran the 'read' 19 times.  If so, I do not want to face him the next 19...:)  I take that back...I would love to face him!!!  I am up for it!!!

You know, we did not get to see Kaep that much due to them being West Coast. (I do not have NFL Package) All I can say is I really was amazed by his arm/strength and accuracy throwing.

That said, his speed is 'sick.' I see Dustin made a post that he only ran the 'read' 19 times. If so, I do not want to face him the next 19...:) I take that back...I would love to face him!!! I am up for it!!!

You have no option. We play the NFC West next year. :)

IMO,Year 2 will be what seperates the men from the boys.

What do I mean?

Wilson, RG3, Luck and I'll even include Kap here for fun, will have much tougher schedules.

Can Wilson repeat what he did last year for a full season? He had a late start, but really turned it on. They also have tough sledding to win tht Division with the 49ers in their way. And we all know the Seahawks are not the same team on the road, as they are at home. Can they A)Go undefeated again at home B)Take out 6 2012 Playoff teams not including the Saints & Giants who will be in the mix for sure.

Getting home field throughout the Playoffs, might be must if this team is to make a SB.

Will RG3 be healthy enough to play a whole season? He's as consistent as they come. Doesn't turn the ball over and has incredible efficiency. Will he even be ready for Wk-1? The Redskins are slated to net 4 or 5 Prime Time games and that is money for RG3, who's brighter in games the brighter the lights. Will the Redskins be able to surround him with additional Offensive weapons with the cap penalty & no 1st rd pick. Can their defense improve. One thing for sure, with games VS Green Bay, San Fran, Atlanta, Denver and the NFC Beast...they will be battle tested. One of the best rushing attacks in the game. If they find more passing weapons, improve the Defense, hit on the draft & RG3 has a healthy season? They will be an unstoppable machine. But there are many "If's".

Kap/Niners is basically similar to Wilson/seattle as he's only played 9 or 10 games total and Wilson came on after about wk-6 or 7. Can he repeat that performace for a whole 16 game season?

Will the 49ers find a good backup and will Kap stay healthy for 16 full games....cause...we don't know that yet. Going to be hard to repeat with a tough schedule coming up as well as an improved NFC West. They have a ton of draft picks, so they are definitely reloading.

Colts/Luck are very interesting. They won't have that cushion schedule from 2012. Can Chuck Strong coach this same team as well as Bruce Arians did. It's unfortunate, but they are 2 different people with 2 different brains & leadership skills. Can the Colts rally behind Chuck the the coach. They certainly have a tougher schedule for 2013. Can Luck keep those INT's down? One thing going for Indianapolis...Luck certainly has the easier path than the other 3, as that division is abysmal. Luck certainly has the best chance to succeed for his Sophomore campaign.

It's going to be difficult for any of the 4 to repeat what they did this last season.

Whomever does, is the real deal, imo. (Hopefully all of them)

Because teams defenses will be coming and there are no surprises for any of these guys now.

This next season will also tell us, if the Pistol formation is for real, as well as the read option play.

We will all learn a lot this next season.