Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Q & A With the Indy Star's Mike Chappell February 11!

BrentMc11

I looked everywhere to see if this was posted.  I think there are some interesting comments as they relate to:

1. Possible free agency spending
  2. Offensive Line:  Players mentioned Satele, Reitz, Iljalana, Anderson and Linkenbach, McGlynn, Castanzo
  3. Ed Reed....or not Ed Reed:  Thoughts also on Tom Zbkowski
  4. Ahmad Bradshaw etc.

I thought it would be interesting to see what all of the Colt fans read into this.  I will add some thoughts as we go, but I wanted to see if my peers had any 'gut feelings' coming out of this blog Q & A.  I found a couple things very interesting/telling.  Enjoy!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/2013/02/11/colts-nation-has-a-lot-of-its-mind-including-the-offensive-line-and-free-agency/

first of all..we're not going to sign Ed Reed...

..we're not signing old people...as if we're one player from the Super Bowl..

No Bradshaw..not that good

..and half the present O-line will be gone by opening day in September

What did you think of his points on Satele?  Reitz?  Sometimes the insider guys have the 'scoop'  as we know....

I agree on old guys and Reed :)

What did you think of his points on Satele?  Reitz?  Sometimes the insider guys have the 'scoop'  as we know....

I always thought the offense played better without Satele. However the coaching staff always seemed to go back to him, so clearly they see something I didn't. I think having Revis would be awesome, but that contract would be ludicrous.

I agree with much of his answers. I really don't think Satele is as bad as most make him out to be. Many clamored about this "head bob" stuff and I posted in a thread a while back how that was nonsense because almost every center in the league does it. However, with that said I do like Shipley and think he done a very good job.

I also agree with him on Ed Reed. He's too old and has to many miles on those legs. He'll want to much money for us to spend on an older guy for a young team.

I agree that we won't make a push for Revis, he's just waaaay too expensive, both with what we would have to give up and also the ridiculous amount of money he wants each yr.. Plus coming off a serious knee injury,  he may not ever get back to what he was before. Too many questions!

I always thought the offense played better without Satele. However the coaching staff always seemed to go back to him, so clearly they see something I didn't. I think having Revis would be awesome, but that contract would be ludicrous.

I enjoyed this little Q & A....I thought it would give us something to throw around.  

I too thought the offense was more smooth, and especially ran the ball better with Satele out/Shipley in....Coaches see them practice every day, but we get the full Monty on Sundays....:)

Revis is a beast....we can quit dreaming I guess.

I for one am amazed at how many good OL are in this years draft.  Why do you think he mentioned McGlynn and Reitz, and what are your thoughts on both?

I think Reitz can be good, but would rather upgrade both guard positions. McGlynn is alright as a versatile backup for guard and center, but is not worthy of a starting spot in any way, shape, or form.

I think Reitz can be good, but would rather upgrade both guard positions. McGlynn is alright as a versatile backup for guard and center, but is not worthy of a starting spot in any way, shape, or form.

Reitz needs to overcome the late season 2011 and 2012 injury bug or he needs to move on.  When healthy he showed some very good edge/seal blocking.  I hate when injuries get in the way....but they do it is simple as that.  Look at poor Ben Iljalana.

I thought McGlynn was more focused at center believe it or not....he simply got blown off of the ball at guard....way too often.  I agree...not a starter in any way, shape or form this coming season.

Reitz needs to overcome the late season 2011 and 2012 injury bug or he needs to move on.  When healthy he showed some very good edge/seal blocking.  I hate when injuries get in the way....but they do it is simple as that.  Look at poor Ben Iljalana.

I thought McGlynn was more focused at center believe it or not....he simply got blown off of the ball at guard....way too often.  I agree...not a starter in any way, shape or form this coming season.

Reitz has had too many injuries, but if he could get that straightened out I think he can be ok. I don't think he'll ever develop into a top guard, but has the ability to be a decent backup for us. 

I'm surprised....

I dont think our O-line is as big and physically strong as we need going froward....and I hear you....

Chap seems to feel differntly...as if our o-line problems were all injury-related...

I would be suprised if we dont have ane wtacle and guard (boys not alreday in the organizatin

do u think Justin Anderson will start cause he's a very big man he'd be a great wall of meat for protecting Luck :banana:

You cannot teach Big....and that boy is a biggun :)  There is no doubt that Grigson and Pagano see something in this young man!!  They drafted him, and kept him through the entire season on the PS, IR, and now Reserve/Future.

I will say he will not start, but will be given every opportunity to make the football team.  As I always say....put on the pads and show em what ya got big fella.....:)

I'm surprised....

I dont think our O-line is as big and physically strong as we need going froward....and I hear you....

Chap seems to feel differntly...as if our o-line problems were all injury-related...

I would be surprised if we dont add one starting tackle and guard (boys not already in the organization)

There is nothing wrong with keeping the better OT guys last year, but as back up to better than them guys from FA and the draft!!!!! And a good rookie OT might fall to the 24th pick, some teams may gamble on trying to get an option style QB from smaller schools, you might say that's not going to happen, but look at the picks C.Polian made and the Jets over the years so it might be possible... That's why the draft is so fun to watch, ya never know :}

There is nothing wrong with keeping the better OT guys last year, but as back up to better than them guys from FA and the draft!!!!! And a good rookie OT might fall to the 24th pick, some teams may gamble on trying to get an option style QB from smaller schools, you might say that's not going to happen, but look at the picks C.Polian made and the Jets over the years so it might be possible... That's why the draft is so fun to watch, ya never know :}

You make a valid point.  This year's draft is amazing with OL help....we have bucks to spend on FA studs.....and we still have relative unknowns here with and Anderson...Iljalana....

As you say...nothing wrong with having former starters as backups!! :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:

Nothing really earthshattering in his article, but a decent read... with so many holes, I like the idea of adding more mid-level talent, than aiming for the big name players looking for a big payday...

I agree nothing earth shattering, but better than the NFL.com Colts preview that had 'zilch.'  :)

I like the mid-level talent as well.....to me that is where we find who will become the NEXT...........some WILL become stars.

and hopefully keep us out of cap issues that the Colts experienced during the end of the Polian era for the forseeable future...

I could not have said it better myself!  To come out of last year at 11-5....with the mish mash of talent....how lucky were we?

To have some money to go after players and your mid-level guys you mentioned....priceless!!!

One thing I do not understand.  Shipley and Satele both seem capable of starting at C, and we need at least 1 new starting G.  Wouldn't moving Shipley or Satele to G make sense?

Satele could not play guard in a man blocking scheme IMO. Shipley maybe an option at guard, but I would rather just find better options through free agency or the draft. 

One thing I do not understand.  Shipley and Satele both seem capable of starting at C, and we need at least 1 new starting G.  Wouldn't moving Shipley or Satele to G make sense?

Satele HAS played some guard, and while Shipley did not look comfortable in his try this year......he CAN do it.

I think with the money available as well as the number of quality draftable OGs, we will see someone who actually plays the position well not just someone 'capable' of the move.  Just my opinion Kyle.

Satele HAS played some guard, and while Shipley did not look comfortable in his try this year......he CAN do it.

I think with the money available as well as the number of quality draftable OGs, we will see someone who actually plays the position well not just someone 'capable' of the move.  Just my opinion Kyle.

I think Satele could play guard in a zone blocking scheme, but I think he would be over powered in a man scheme. JMO!

I think Satele could play guard in a zone blocking scheme, but I think he would be over powered in a man scheme. JMO!

He gets pushed back pretty badly the way it is as far as I am concerned Balzer.  I would like to see him traded myself if there are takers....not my favorite.  I like Shipley's mean streak...and he wants to play...injured or not.  Remembered him slamming his helmet down when he had to come out.....(not that this is good sportsmanship ;))

:ranton: I know I may get kicked for saying this again, but if I am grading linemen to draft, I want a lineman who can block in a zone or man scheme.  I want a TRUE offensive lineman!!  What is All Pro?  I am a zone blocker...I am a man blocker?......OLD SCHOOL on this one fellas...and ladies.... :rantoff:

I took some meds....I feel better now :)

He gets pushed back pretty badly the way it is as far as I am concerned Balzer.  I would like to see him traded myself if there are takers....not my favorite.  I like Shipley's mean streak...and he wants to play...injured or not.  Remembered him slamming his helmet down when he had to come out.....(not that this is good sportsmanship ;))

:ranton: I know I may get kicked for saying this again, but if I am grading linemen to draft, I want a lineman who can block in a zone or man scheme.  I want a TRUE offensive lineman!!  What is All Pro?  I am a zone blocker...I am a man blocker?......OLD SCHOOL on this one fellas...and ladies.... :rantoff:

I took some meds....I feel better now :)

I agree that an O-lineman should be able to block in any scheme, but some are just not big enough or strong enough to handle blocking 320+lb DT's. Less than 300lb Satele would have a hard time going 1 on 1 against some of the bigger DT's in the league.

I agree that an O-lineman should be able to block in any scheme, but some are just not big enough or strong enough to handle blocking 320+lb DT's. Less than 300lb Satele would have a hard time going 1 on 1 against some of the bigger DT's in the league.

I agree with you Balzer.....I kind of went haywire on that one. :)  I actually think Satele had better stick to center if he is here or anywhere else.....he WILL get manhandled.  In terms of schemes as we know them...zone would be much better for number Satele.

1. I'm not worried about the oline cause I'm sure Grigson will take care of it. If a former olineman can't see our line needs help, we have a problem imo lol

2. Ed Reed is going to New England. The clock is ticking on Belicheck & Brady Era. They want 1 more SB.

3. Zibikowski will be replaced with a Safety in the Draft. (Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro)

4. As far as another RB. I think we'll let Brown go. Draft that RB from Pitt we interviewed or Stephan Taylor from Stanford. We're gonna need another RB for the WCO. Ballard showed he can carry the load, but I'd like to have a "change of pace" RB if that makes sense to you guys. Ballard & a Shifty or another Power RB would definitely open up PA Passes. Thus reforming, Luck to Fleener.

This is just my viewpoint on what will happen. But I can't express enough how much I'm looking forward to my 1st off-season on the forum with you guys. Should be something great

Sounds like to me he thinks our O Line is fine, even saying Reitz and Satele are fine which I dont know why I kept reading after that, Also how is Linkenbach versatile, dont you actually have to be good at other positions to be versatile? He is a Guard nothing else.

Sounds like to me he thinks our O Line is fine, even saying Reitz and Satele are fine which I dont know why I kept reading after that, Also how is Linkenbach versatile, dont you actually have to be good at other positions to be versatile? He is a Guard nothing else.

Link is versatile by league standards....he played 16 games and 3 positions.....does not mean he is good.  He played his best as you say at Left Guard with Shipley at center.  Those two worked well together.

Link is versatile by league standards....he played 16 games and 3 positions.....does not mean he is good.  He played his best as you say at Left Guard with Shipley at center.  Those two worked well together.

Agreed, but he lost me when he was talking about Satele and Reitz