Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AP MVP

Maniq

Given today's pass happy NFL I think the WR receiving yards record was bound to be broken. Even if AP missed out on the record by 9 yards I believe it's still a much greater feat.

Yeah especially seeing as how he was 9 yards short but had 50 less carries than Dickerson did when he broke it. It was an amazing season for sure.

He had a lot of turnovers. He had a lot of fumbles. We all know what the common denominator is here. He also had the most rookie yards ever. Most 4th quarter comebacks, most yards in a game, joint most rookie wins, best 3rd and long between rookies, best...etc etc. If you want to use stats, use them all, not just one that will help your view point.....

Turnovers are a HUGE stat.. in fact, turnovers are THE most important stat there is.  Turnover differential is a huge factor in determining outcomes of games and the job of the QB is to manage games and limit turnovers.  Hey, I'm a Luck fan, I think hes going to be a great QB and hes a likeable guy, but don't get your panties all up in a bunch because I point out the obvious, which is that he struggled with turnovers.  That is a fact, and a very important one. 

Turnovers are a HUGE stat.. in fact, turnovers are THE most important stat there is. Turnover differential is a huge factor in determining outcomes of games and the job of the QB is to manage games and limit turnovers. Hey, I'm a Luck fan, I think hes going to be a great QB and hes a likeable guy, but don't get your panties all up in a bunch because I point out the obvious, which is that he struggled with turnovers. That is a fact, and a very important one.

That's funny. I thought wins were the most important stat?

Hmmmmmm ;)

Yep that's why Brady is better than Manning

/runs

That's what I've been told for so many years at least lol.

I really don't subscribe to the Brady v Manning debates. They are both all time greats as far as I'm concerned. With or without rings.

Also, did you post a video? Because there was just a big white blank in the middle, and if there was suppose to be a video there that would explain it lol.

Honestly it's a tough decision...AP or Manning....

On one hand Manning overcame a serious procedure...went through excrutiating training on his own accord...worked harder than almost anyone ever has (which is what he has done all his career)...and he made it back pretty much all the way if not even more.

On the other hand AP tore up his knee...something he relies on significantly for his particular job...he too rehabbed and made his way back in a big time.

How can you disagree...two people who are more serious about football and their comittment to their job and teams than these two guys?

BUT...for me and the end of the day a subpar neck for manning doesn't entirely keep him from doing his job...sure it has affected him (we all saw it)...but for AP the abuse and toughness that his knee has to endure in training, practice, and games exceeds what Manning has to do...

A close race? Sure..in some aspects, but AP deserved it...no questions. The only reason the Vikings made the playoffs is because of AP...and AP didn't cost his team the game...Manning however did.

Honestly it's a tough decision...AP or Manning....

One one hand Manning overcame a serious procedure...went through excrutiating training on his own accord...worked harder than almost anyone ever has (which is what he has done all his career)...and he made it back pretty much all the way if not even more.

On the other hand AP tore up his knee...something he relies on significantly for his particular job...he too rehabbed and made his way back in a big time.

How can you disagree...two people who are more serious about football and their comittment to their job and teams than these two guys?

BUT...for me and the end of the day a subpar neck for manning doesn't entirely keep him from doing his job...sure it has affected him (we all saw it)...but for AP the abuse and toughness that his knee has to endure in training, practice, and games exceeds what Manning has to do...

A close race? Sure..in some aspects, but AP deserved it...no questions. The only reason the Vikings made the playoffs is because of AP...and AP didn't cost his team the game...Manning however did.

The award was voted before the playoffs so your last sentence doesn't make a difference.

I am now placing a "gag-order" on myself    :facepalm:

The award was voted before the playoffs so your last sentence doesn't make a difference.

It makes a difference to me..that's what I'm getting at. I'm not talking about what anyone else thinks. Regardless if this was determined after the regular season OR playoffs I'm just looking at what my feelings are throughout the entire season (post season included)...but I understand what you are saying.

He's baiting.. which is against the rules I thought. No way would someone say something like that and not be baiting..

He's baiting? Why? Because he sees thing differently from you? I agree with him regarding AP winning the MVP. The other comment was unnecessary, but many on here have said the same thing. The whole world doesn't revolve around our ex-legend you know....

He's baiting? Why? Because he sees thing differently from you? I agree with him regarding AP winning the MVP. The other comment was unnecessary, but many on here have said the same thing. The whole world doesn't revolve around our ex-legend you know....

You are correct.  My comment was unnecessary.   It would have been better for me to just "think what I thought" and not stated it.

I can admit when I've been in the wrong....... (not for what I was feeling  I can't help how I feel )  but for stating it.  

Oh come on.. you cant come on the colts forum and talk smack like that without it being bait for an argument. It would be easy to say it respectfully, but frankly he didnt.

Gramz.. you dont need to apologize for anything.

AP deserved the MVP this year. He basically got 3 votes for every 2 that Manning got. (http://mvpvoting.wordpress.com/) 30.5 votes to 19.5. (I was surprised to see Dungy's vote for AP, by the way.)

And it doesn't matter, with respect to MVP voting, who was hurt the prior year and what happened to them. Makes for a more compelling storyline, but other than that, it should not be a factor at all.

I think this all played out the way it should have. Manning deserved Comeback Player over AP because he actually missed time. AP had a major knee surgery but missed, what, a game or two?

Well deserved IMHO, the dude came back from a major injury only to have the 2nd best season a RB has had, EVER.

He also single handidly took a team that was projected to be 31st in the league and sent them to the playoffs on his back.

I think he shoulda won the triple crown, (OPOY, CBOY, MVP) but i'll settle for two out of the three.

Such a cynic Mr Warhorse......

BTW....I was serious in my congrats. I was speaking to the way players can bounce back in freakish ways compared to the past. It goes beyond training advancements. In addition, I think very highly of AP....he sets the tone with his actions....not his words.

BTW....I was serious in my congrats. I was speaking to the way players can bounce back in freakish ways compared to the past. It goes beyond training advancements. In addition, I think very highly of AP....he sets the tone with his actions....not his words.

I concur fully on all you say. I'm also glad it went to a non-QB for a change. And anyway, it will be back to a QB next year, when either Peyton or Andrew lift it! 

Luck really destroyed his chances of getting any awards because of all of the turnovers he had.  He wasn't the only rookie to bring his team to the post season either, so he didn't have really any unique stats that sort of popped out at you except for his passing yards.  He had a great rookie campaign, but its hard to give someone an award who was tied for the most turnovers in the league.

Luck stats were far better than Wilson with a lesser team...and he played every game...unlike RG3

What you're forgetting is that no team since the merger has reached the playoffs with 5 rookie starters..

until Indy and Luck..

..To me....the voters split the MVP and Comeback awards/The vote totals were almost reversed.....Its all god..

I definitely think Luck should have gotten OROY. At least he played the whole season and helped really turn the team around.  I think Peyton deserved MVP over AP.  Peyton made Denver a contender just walking on the field and made all the players on the team better..especially the recievers.

I definitely think Luck should have gotten OROY. At least he played the whole season and helped really turn the team around.  I think Peyton deserved MVP over AP.  Peyton made Denver a contender just walking on the field and made all the players on the team better..especially the recievers.

But Denver was a contender the year before Manning came as well. He definitely helped the receivers out, but Denver was still a good team before Manning showed up. I'm sure that their talent and ability to get into the postseason was one of the reasons Denver was an attractive place for him. As for ROY...well, we can definitely argue that both 12 and Griffin turned their respective teams around, but let's not get into that on the MVP thread. No need to have it closed with another 12 v.s. Griffin debate.