Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Potential Freeney Replacements

Andy

I have a feeling Dwight will stay here in Indy. I don't think it's over for him on this team just yet. We had some injuries up front all year including him. We need to key that in as a factor. We also haven't had a "true" NT/DT on this team for years. Yeah he is at times a liability against the run when over pursuing. I think if we get a guy up front a team needs to truly worry about then Freeney will have a better year. As for Jerry Hughes he needs to be on the field as well. We need to have Jerry, Robert, and Freeney on the field at the same time.

I think there is about a 0.0007%  chance Freeney comes back. That maybe a little high. He don't fit the system, in fact he was just bad in the system. If the team is serious about getting better(and I'm positive they are) then they won't even offer Freeney another contract. I also don't think Freeney wants to come back. He will go to a 4-3 team where he can be a pass rusher only. He wants no part of dropping into coverage.

Hmm I kinda do think Hughes deserves a chance I mean he hasn't gotten much action to improve because of dwight and mathis but this year in the role he played as a olb he got 4 sacks id say he's getting used to playing just needs more time to evolve

So your willing to get Kuger or spencer and then wait on mathis contract to be up for Hughes to get his change really.

No, what I'm saying is I think Spencer/Kruger is the best replacement we're gonna get for Dwight.  And with the whole Hughes thing, I am saying if Mathis decides to leave us, the hopefully Hughes is ready by then because otherwise we'll be looking to replace that side also.

A lot of people have been saying Teo might slide into the 20's.  I think if he does, we should move up and take him to play next to Angerer.  That way we wouldn't have to look for a LB in FA and allow us to address another need.

IMO, no.  Trading up would cost us more in draft picks than we can afford at this time.  Secondly we do not need another ILB at this time.

A lot of people have been saying Teo might slide into the 20's.  I think if he does, we should move up and take him to play next to Angerer.  That way we wouldn't have to look for a LB in FA and allow us to address another need.

I wouldn't want Teo if he slipped to us in the 7th rd. That guy is a complete  :nutz:

I wouldn't want Teo if he slipped to us in the 7th rd. That guy is a complete :nutz:.

Agreed, and I'm a ND fan. If he came out and played like a beast against Alabama I might have been able to look the other way. But he didn't, and in the whole fake girl thing just screams drama.

IMO, no.  Trading up would cost us more in draft picks than we can afford at this time.  Secondly we do not need another ILB at this time.

I think it's worth the risk, so I don't mind giving up the picks, but I'm not sold on Fokou/Freeman, not as a long-term option.

I wouldn't want Teo if he slipped to us in the 7th rd. That guy is a complete  :nutz:

Teo has talent.  Forget the Alabama game, the dude is physical.  With the right coaching, he could be a beast.  And the whole Gf thing, I don't mind, as long as it motivates him to knock someone out. lol

I think it's worth the risk, so I don't mind giving up the picks, but I'm not sold on Fokou/Freeman, not as a long-term option.

Question:   Why are you lumping Fokou in with Freeman??

Fokou is a back-up.

Freeman not only is a starter, he led the team in tackles?     What are you not convinced about with him?

I'm not sold on our ILB rotation either, but I wouldn't be moving up to get one in the first round either. Maybe if you fall in love with Teo over the next couple of months and are convinced he has Patrick Willis potential, but short of that, I'd rather stick to my board. If he falls to 24, I'm sure he'll get a look from Grigson. But it really comes down to his board.

If we were going to move up, I'd expect it to be for the very best player in the draft at an impact position for our team: corner (Morris Claiborne / Patrick Peterson), tackle or guard (Matt Kalil, guards don't usually go until late in the first round anyways), pass rusher (Von Miller), receiver (Julio Jones), or safety (another position that usually doesn't get drafted at the top, but if you get Eric Berry you're okay). In other words, you better be getting a first year starter, and he better be a no-brainer.

Maybe it's still too early, but I don't really get that no-brainer feeling from anyone in this year's draft. Not at those positions.

I would rather we trade down and get more picks than up and lose picks we could use next year.

I'd probably agree. Just saying I'd rather trade up for an impact player in this year's draft than trading picks for a veteran player. If we had a chance to move up for Jarvis Jones, for instance, I'd do that.

I'd probably agree. Just saying I'd rather trade up for an impact player in this year's draft than trading picks for a veteran player. If we had a chance to move up for Jarvis Jones, for instance, I'd do that.

I agree with you about not trading picks for a veteran player, but I am not sold on trading up.

Question:   Why are you lumping Fokou in with Freeman??

Fokou is a back-up.

Freeman not only is a starter, he led the team in tackles?     What are you not convinced about with him?

I don't know, I just need another year of good play before I'm convinced we're set.