Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jake Long Wants at Least 10 Million Annually...

I'd take Long in a NY minute "IF" he passes his physical.    Indy is going to PAY out the nose for ANY OL they sign, good one's are not cheap.     If Long is deemed healthy then he would automatically become Indy's best Olinemen.   

Here are the top 10 salaries for each OL position going into last season....  (base)

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl-salaries-top-10-salaries-for-offensive-linemen/2012/07/05/

Face it...  If Indy is going to invest heavily in OL help and shoot for the upper tier players on the market they will have to over pay by a mile.      But it is a area of need.   And I totally expect Irsay to cough up the dough and bring in at least 2 top flight Olinemen.

Notice what these top G's are making....      I cannot see Indy going after the top G's in this FA class.   But I can see Indy investing in a couple of T's.

I'd take Long in a NY minute "IF" he passes his physical.    Indy is going to PAY out the nose for ANY OL they sign, good one's are not cheap.     If Long is deemed healthy then he would automatically become Indy's best Olinemen.   

Here are the top 10 salaries for each OL position going into last season....  (base)

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl-salaries-top-10-salaries-for-offensive-linemen/2012/07/05/

Face it...  If Indy is going to invest heavily in OL help and shoot for the upper tier players on the market they will have to over pay by a mile.      But it is a area of need.   And I totally expect Irsay to cough up the dough and bring in at least 2 top flight Olinemen.

Notice what these top G's are making....      I cannot see Indy going after the top G's in this FA class.   But I can see Indy investing in a couple of T's.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but some of those numbers are badly misleading.    Not your fault.

For example, the salaries for the top two guards are what they earned in 2012.   But that's not what their average salary is.  Nicks' salary is $9.5 Mill per year.   Joseph's is $7.5 Mill  per year.  Nicks is the highest paid guard.   He may have earned more in 2012, but the remaining years he'll earn less so that his average works out to $8 mill per.

Both play for Tampa Bay.    Here is their team salary breakdown.  Both Joseph and Nicks are near the top. You can click on their names to get their year by year breakdown to see for yourself.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/

You maybe right.   Indy may not go after the top guards.   We'll see.   I don't see this year's top guards as being in the same class as last year's.    They may still get a lot, but I'm not sure they'll get what the top guys last year got.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but some of those numbers are badly misleading.    Not your fault.

For example, the salaries for the top two guards are what they earned in 2012.   But that's not what their average salary is.  Nicks' salary is $9.5 Mill per year.   Joseph's is $7.5 Mill  per year.  Nicks is the highest paid guard.   He may have earned more in 2012, but the remaining years he'll earn less so that his average works out to $8 mill per.

Both play for Tampa Bay.    Here is their team salary breakdown.  Both Joseph and Nicks are near the top. You can click on their names to get their year by year breakdown to see for yourself.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/

You maybe right.   Indy may not go after the top guards.   We'll see.   I don't see this year's top guards as being in the same class as last year's.    They may still get a lot, but I'm not sure they'll get what the top guys last year got.

I have no idea what your point is ....   but that's not your fault.   :)   A players salary can be heavily front loaded or backloaded,  I get that.    

All I was pointing out in my post was that OLinemen will not come cheap, and Indy will pay if they want a "good  one".     Nothing more...   nothing less.

I have no idea what your point is ....   but that's not your fault.   :)   A players salary can be heavily front loaded or backloaded,  I get that.    

All I was pointing out in my post was that OLinemen will not come cheap, and Indy will pay if they want a "good  one".     Nothing more...   nothing less.

My point was the salaries that the link showed are misleading.   It looks like the highest paid guard makes $12.5 Mill per year on average.   He doesn't.   He makes $9.5 Mill per year.

The second highest paid makes $7.5 Mill per year and not the $9.5 Mill that the link shows. 

I was trying to show that it's the average salary that's important, and not what a player makes in any one given year.   Because the figure for any one given year is misleading both to the up and the downside.

I see your point about the money... ugh :omg: ... but i hope we don't invest in multiple top teir Ts... maybe one and resign Justice to back-up... we can get a mid range, high upside T and G, then draft another G (and resign Justice).. that's the way I would go, but I'm no GM...

Why not give him what he wants, but with a lower amount of fully guaranteed money and add escalators that puts the team under less pressure if he get hurts again. We both win that. Up to Long to prove his talent is still top shelf and his injuries are a fluke, 

He gets hurt, he can get cut with not much harm done to the team if its done that way.

Just because the total contract amount is big doesn't mean at all that what he ends up getting. Contract out clauses for the win. 

What an entitled *.

So since he's a #1 pick from a few years ago he thinks he deserves what he was getting, despite giving up a ton of sacks and not even finishing the last 2 years out? I don't have a problem with people trying to get what they're worth, but this just rubs me the wrong way. He 'scoffed' at Miami's offer? I could name 15 LTs in the league that I'd rather have over him, and one of them is on our roster right now, so I really don't see Grigson overpaying for this entitled *.

The idea is, at his age, this might be his last year of having the most productivity out of his body, so he's trying to squeeze as much money out of his next contract as possible. He's got the right idea, but he's still asking for too much.

Do you think Dwight Freeney should take less money and play in a 3-4 where he is not very effective or should he go to a 4-3 and get paid what he deserves as a DE???What an entitled *.

So since he's a #1 pick from a few years ago he thinks he deserves what he was getting, despite giving up a ton of sacks and not even finishing the last 2 years out? I don't have a problem with people trying to get what they're worth, but this just rubs me the wrong way. He 'scoffed' at Miami's offer? I could name 15 LTs in the league that I'd rather have over him, and one of them is on our roster right now, so I really don't see Grigson overpaying for this entitled *.

It is hard to play for a loser....  Vontae was not playing hard for Miami and looked what happened when he went from a losing team to a up and coming winning team that appreciated him.  The Dolphins are a joke and have changed from a man blocking scheme (what they drafted him to play in) to a zone blocking team (what he is not used to or wanting to play in).  Those things can bring you down mentally and that can affect ur play.

yes, he scoffed at Miami's offer of (it didnt say how much).  What if they offered him an extension based on his level of play in zone blocking but he knows he is much more valuable in a man blocking scheme?   put yourself in his shoes, the team that drafted you keeps losing year after year and is going nowhere fast.  they also change from the scheme you like to play in to one u r unfamiliar with.  on top of that, they use a 1st round pick on a WR to play QB..............    If I was him, i would want out of Miami and IF I was going to take a pay cut, it would not be to stay with the losers.

I compare it a bit to Dwight Freeney's situation but Long is younger,

Do you think Dwight Freeney should take less money and play in a 3-4 where he is not very effective or should he go to a 4-3 and get paid what he deserves as a DE???

It is hard to play for a loser....  Vontae was not playing hard for Miami and looked what happened when he went from a losing team to a up and coming winning team that appreciated him.  The Dolphins are a joke and have changed from a man blocking scheme (what they drafted him to play in) to a zone blocking team (what he is not used to or wanting to play in).  Those things can bring you down mentally and that can affect ur play.

yes, he scoffed at Miami's offer of (it didnt say how much).  What if they offered him an extension based on his level of play in zone blocking but he knows he is much more valuable in a man blocking scheme?   put yourself in his shoes, the team that drafted you keeps losing year after year and is going nowhere fast.  they also change from the scheme you like to play in to one u r unfamiliar with.  on top of that, they use a 1st round pick on a WR to play QB..............    If I was him, i would want out of Miami and IF I was going to take a pay cut, it would not be to stay with the losers.

I compare it a bit to Dwight Freeney's situation but Long is younger,

Do you think Dwight Freeney should take less money and play in a 3-4 where he is not very effective or should he go to a 4-3 and get paid what he deserves as a DE???

The excuses you are making for him make him sound like even more of an entitled *.  If for some reason we were to try to get Freeney to stay and offer him far less than he thinks he can get/or is worth you would never hear that Freeney "scoffed" at the offer(even if declined).  Long needs to keep his mouth shut, man up, and prove he is not a broken down "has been" if he wants that kind of money.

The excuses you are making for him make him sound like even more of an entitled *.  If for some reason we were to try to get Freeney to stay and offer him far less than he thinks he can get/or is worth you would never hear that Freeney "scoffed" at the offer(even if declined).  Long needs to keep his mouth shut, man up, and prove he is not a broken down "has been" if he wants that kind of money.

Yes, I think if we offered Dwight Freeney half of what he could make elsewhere he would "scoff" at the offer....

Also,  did you hear him scoff at the offer?   no....  would it be much of a story if they said he nicely said no thank you to the offer?  no....   reporters exagerate and flat out lie sometimes.  He will get paid a lot this year in FA and I bet he returns his play to an all pro level.  I for one, hope he has a horseshoe on his helmet.