Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Cowher to return to Coaching.

Dark Superman

Good coach with a lot of credentials. If Arians leaves and Bill would ever consider being a OC.. I'd love to have him.. Don't really know if he would be suitable for the job..

There is zero chance of taking OC or DC, he will cherry pick whatever job he wants...and get it.

If Cowher replaced Coughlin then they would finally win back to back seasons and not start out 5-0 and finish 8-8 like they are known to do. I can see him getting rid of Gilbride too, who is a horrible offensive coordinator.

He's waiting for Coughlin to retire or get the axe first.

I actually think HC of the NY Giants is a perfect job for Bill Cowher. An elite QB in Eli Manning, a great GM in Jerry Reese, a respected owner that doesn't make rash decisions in John K. Mara similar to the Rooney's in Pittsburg, and a great front 4 pass rush...A perfect fit for Bill. He can just wait out Tom Couglin's retirement or dismissal in his cozy CBS Sports analyst job. I'd love to see that flying spit in the Big Apple myself.  :thmup:

I can see him getting rid of Gilbride too, who is a horrible offensive coordinator.

I can't speak to the OC Bogie, but I'd love to see Cowher hire either Mike Nolan or Rob Ryan as his new DC. I love aggressive no holes barred, step on your throat, risk taker coordinators. Why the Hades did Dallas just fire Rob Ryan?!!! What a bunch of fools in Dallas IMO.  :slaphead:  :facepalm:  Jerry Jones you are a bleeping mo ron!!!

I actually think HC of the NY Giants is a perfect job for Bill Cowher. An elite QB in Eli Manning, a great GM in Jerry Reese, a respected owner that doesn't make rash decisions in John K. Mara similar to the Rooney's in Pittsburg, and a great front 4 pass rush...A perfect fit for Bill. He can just wait out Tom Couglin's retirement or dismissal in his cozy CBS Sports analyst job. I'd love to see that flying spit in the Big Apple myself.  :thmup:

Waiting in the wings for the King to abdicate isn't always a good idea, anyone remember who replaced Tony Dungy?

My 1 fear though....Bill Cowher won his SB in 2005...He's been away from coaching for a very long time. When Joe Gibbs came back as an NFL HC for the 2nd time, he was more than a little rusty to be kind. I just don't want to see Bill struggle too much. He hasn't worked long, hard, sideline hours in a long, long time. 

maybe he could help out rob ryan with latrine duties

That would be the ultimate combination. They sure would make those toilets spotless. However, I say leave Cowher responsible for garbage disposal and Rob Ryan in charge of latrine duties.

That is one nasty wrecking crew. Lucas Oil Would be looking sparkling clean prior to, and a day after the game.

They may be so good they could even keep things clean during the game!!! Wowzer!!

Waiting in the wings for the King to abdicate isn't always a good idea, anyone remember who replaced Tony Dungy?

You do bring up a good point. You can't wait in the wings forever because your skills diminish as an enforcer on the field/locker room and your relevancy disappears as a viable candidate too. Being on TV isn't enough after a prolonged absence IMO. I could see Bill in Chicago though better than I could Mike Singletary. Yes, Mike is a HOF LB who won a SB in Chicago in 1985, but his HC experience in San Francisco pales in comparison to what Bill did in Pittsburg with division titles & SB appearances & a ring.   

But, at the end of the day, I still see Bill as the NY Giants HC or bust. 

maybe he could help out rob ryan with latrine duties
Rob Ryan is not a media clown like his brother Rex & I actually like his skills as a DC. Why do so many people slam Rob Ryan anyway? I'd hire him in a minute as a DC without hesitation. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion naturally, but Rob is a keen defensive mind without the headaches of Rex & his childish media antics.

Eric Mangini hired him in Cleveland & Bill Belichick hired him in NE. Clearly, they did not know what they were doing... :facepalm: Please...Give me a break...

Cowher has already amended his comments about returning to coaching.....

He says it will be another 4-5 years before he's back on an NFL sideline again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124092/article/bill-cowher-reportedly-wont-coach-for-4-to-5-years

We can put this discussion on hold until then....

Really Bill Cowher? Why not just say I'm never gonna coach professional football again? There is no shame in admitting that Bill. The only 1 you are fooling is yourself. Thanks for the update NewColtsFan. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

Really Bill Cowher? Why not just say I'm never gonna coach professional football again? There is no shame in admitting that Bill. The only 1 you are fooling is yourself. Thanks for the update NewColtsFan. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

You're right Southwest.    By the time Cowher is ready to return, he'll have been out of the league for 10 years.

Enough to get your batteries re-charged, yes.    But enough to have the game pass you by as well.    10 years is practically a lifetime in NFL terms.     The Gibbs analogy might be scary appropriate.

Cowher lost his wife a few years ago to illness.    Whatever he's doing now,  I hope he's happy.

You're right Southwest.    By the time Cowher is ready to return, he'll have been out of the league for 10 years.

Enough to get your batteries re-charged, yes.    But enough to have the game pass you by as well.    10 years is practically a lifetime in NFL terms.     The Gibbs analogy might be scary appropriate.

Cowher lost his wife a few years ago to illness.    Whatever he's doing now,  I hope he's happy.

Thank you NewColtsFan. Very perceptive of you my friend. 10 years away from the sidelines is the death swan song for any & all coaching opportunities in the NFL. I want Cowher happy too, but sadly there is something as too much rust to knock off as well IMO.

What hurt Gibbs was free agency. Something he never had to deal with initially in his 1st go round as the Redskins coach; What will hurt Cowher is locker room Championship relevancy among players IMHO. 

I can't speak to the OC Bogie, but I'd love to see Cowher hire either Mike Nolan or Rob Ryan as his new DC. I love aggressive no holes barred, step on your throat, risk taker coordinators. Why the Hades did Dallas just fire Rob Ryan?!!! What a bunch of fools in Dallas IMO.  :slaphead:  :facepalm:  Jerry Jones you are a bleeping mo ron!!!

Bringing Gibbs back was a mistake for the Redskins since Synder didn't even want him calling his own plays. Similar to how the * fired Marty Schottenhiemer after he gave them a winning season.

Bringing Gibbs back was a mistake for the Redskins since Synder didn't even want him calling his own plays. Similar to how the * fired Marty Schottenhiemer after he gave them a winning season.

Absolutely right Bogie! I'm totally with you on Marty in Kansas City too...Crazy just crazy... :loco: Why didn't management in San Diego fire AJ Smith sooner? Just nuts IMO...

Dick Vermeil anyone?  He came back when he was 60 and took over a "doormat" and in 3 years was SB champ.

It can be done.     Gibbs was 64 when he came back and Gibbs did make the playoffs 2x (1-2)...   It's not like he was totally inept. 

I think Cowher will be back..   and I think the Giants is the job he is waiting on.

In Gruden's case I just this guy just likes hearing his name in the news.

Bill Cowher will never be confused with the greatest football minds in the world.  He labored for a long time to get his Super Bowl win and it's funny it happened almost immediately after he got Big Ben.  Before that, he was criticized a lot.  That being said, he is a very disciplined guy, gets in player's faces if necessary, so he's good with that end.  I would rate Dick Vermeil way ahead of Cowher.  

Dick Vermeil anyone?  He came back when he was 60 and took over a "doormat" and in 3 years was SB champ.

It can be done.     Gibbs was 64 when he came back and Gibbs did make the playoffs 2x (1-2)...   It's not like he was totally inept. 

I think Cowher will be back..   and I think the Giants is the job he is waiting on.

In Gruden's case I just this guy just likes hearing his name in the news.

Agreed

You need to look at the situation

That would be the ultimate combination. They sure would make those toilets spotless. However, I say leave Cowher responsible for garbage disposal and Rob Ryan in charge of latrine duties.

That is one nasty wrecking crew. Lucas Oil Would be looking sparkling clean prior to, and a day after the game.

They may be so good they could even keep things clean during the game!!! Wowzer!!

Cowher could provide a signature spit shine to toilets.

Bill Cowher will never be confused with the greatest football minds in the world. He labored for a long time to get his Super Bowl win and it's funny it happened almost immediately after he got Big Ben. Before that, he was criticized a lot. That being said, he is a very disciplined guy, gets in player's faces if necessary, so he's good with that end. I would rate Dick Vermeil way ahead of Cowher. IMO the Steelers were blessed by getting those 2 SB wins. They had some controversial call against Seattle & had Kurt not thrown that pick 6 I think the Cards win that SB.