Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is Andrew Luck?!

coltsdan

Floyd is a great player with alot of red flags.

This is true too. I'll be interested to see who the top receivers are in the draft but if we have a high pick or even a later pick I almost think that has to be the pick with an aging Wayne who is also a free agent. The only way I don't think we take him is if we have a chance to get Luck and Polian is convienced he is the next Peyton Manning, then you almost can't pass on him becuase who knows when you'll be in poistion to get a player like that and if we are who is to say the guy will be that and wont be an Alex Smith, Russell or whomever.

Guy is tough to bring down. Every time he touches the ball he gains at least 6 or 7 yards after the catch. The only question marks are his health and character issues. We don't like to take guys with questionable character, but I could see us making an exception here if Polian likes him. He kinda reminds me of Calvin Johnson...and I would love to have Calvin Johnson on our team.

I can't see the Colts taking a QB if Peyton is rehabbing well - unless someone they love drops to them.

I agree that a higher than normal pick would be the perfect opportunity to take a top WR, but it's entirely possible that they could take a DE as well. Even if Hughes is progressing the Colts may feel the need to replace Freeney's rare skills. Don't forget that he was a much higher pick than even Wayne (or Clark). If they see an all-pro caliber prospect at one of the key positions for this system, I can't imagine them passing him up because of a perceived need elsewhere.

And they won't even know those perceived needs until seeing the health and performance of Gonzalez, Collie, Hughes, Brown and all the over 30s. It's going to be a fascinating year.

I like Alshon Jeffery if we are in the top 5 picks, he compares to Brandon Marshall and we need to think about a different WR for the future without Peyton too, a bigger red zone target like Stafford has with Calvin Johnson. Alshon is hard to jam, schools most CBs and has good hands too.

If we are picking later (about 10-15), I would not mind having Manti Teo, MLB, from Notre Dame. Yes, you heard me, we need good LBs. Angerer and Brackett were both getting man handled, it is time to get some beef in the front 7. I would have said Jerel Worthy, DT, of Michigan State but we have invested in Moala and Nevis at the UT position unless Jerel Worthy can play the nose tackle in a 4-3.

I say with the uncertainty surrounding Peyton Manning, our first and most important priority is a QB. Folks..Manning is 35..he will be 36 next year and will probably have 3-4 more years of service. WE NEED A replacement. I say if we tank, we take Andrew Luck. This kid is the most advanced college QB Ive seen in years. He reminds me of a young Peyton Manning. Very accurate and very headsy player! Wherevere he ends up next year, he will start right off the bat and will be a fixture on that team for years.

I say with the uncertainty surrounding Peyton Manning, our first and most important priority is a QB. Folks..Manning is 35..he will be 36 next year and will probably have 3-4 more years of service. WE NEED A replacement. I say if we tank, we take Andrew Luck. This kid is the most advanced college QB Ive seen in years. He reminds me of a young Peyton Manning. Very accurate and very headsy player! Wherevere he ends up next year, he will start right off the bat and will be a fixture on that team for years.

I completely agree that we should try and target Andrew Luck next year. But if you say he is ready to go in his first year, what do we do with Manning? I say we keep Manning for another year and allow Luck to watch and learn for a season and then trade Manning for two 2nd round picks.

I completely agree that we should try and target Andrew Luck next year. But if you say he is ready to go in his first year, what do we do with Manning? I say we keep Manning for another year and allow Luck to watch and learn for a season and then trade Manning for two 2nd round picks.

What an asinine suggestion! I don't think there is any scenario under which we'd agree to trade Peyton, except maybe if he ends up retiring (because of the injury), we move on without him and get another QB, and then he later decides to come out of retirement and play, like what happened with the Joe Montana/Steve Young situation in San Fransisco. I'm not entirely opposed to drafting Luck, though. If Manning doesn't play at all this season, so we don't know whether or not he'll be back and regain his old form, and if we're in position to draft Luck, then I think we'd have to do it, for insurance if nothing else. Then we keep Luck until we see that Peyton has fully regained his old form, then we can trade Luck to the highest bidder. If Manning doesn't end up being able to perform, then we already have our QB of the future to replace him.

I am not ready to join the draft Luck band for a couple of reasons.

First, it means we have the first pick in the draft and I lived through too many years of watching the kind of football that produces the first pick in the draft to ever want to live through that again. Besides, I don't think we are that bad of a football team. 8-8 or 9-7 are more likely where we end up.

Second, Luck is still a junior. With the new CBA and rookie wage scale, some of the incentive to come out early has been removed. There are no 50 million dollar rookie contracts so Luck, knowing he is first pick talent can sit back and see who might hold that #1 pick. If he doesn't want to be drafted by that team, he can return to college and wait another year. I believe that sitting for 3-4 years is not what he would want. Peyton says that playing early helped him greatly.

I like Alshon Jeffery if we are in the top 5 picks, he compares to Brandon Marshall and we need to think about a different WR for the future without Peyton too, a bigger red zone target like Stafford has with Calvin Johnson. Alshon is hard to jam, schools most CBs and has good hands too.

If we are picking later (about 10-15), I would not mind having Manti Teo, MLB, from Notre Dame. Yes, you heard me, we need good LBs. Angerer and Brackett were both getting man handled, it is time to get some beef in the front 7. I would have said Jerel Worthy, DT, of Michigan State but we have invested in Moala and Nevis at the UT position unless Jerel Worthy can play the nose tackle in a 4-3.

You are so right about the "big red zone" target. This has been a problem when we get those 1st and goal situations. With no run game and small, not very strong,receivers, we have failed too often.