Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne was actually double-teamed

krunk

colts-35.png Colts | Reggie Wayne was actually double-teamed Mon Oct 8, 09:39 PM

Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Monday, Oct. 8, that his defense double-teamed Indianapolis Colts WR Reggie Wayne in Week 5, but it didn't seem to matter. He still exploded for 13 catches, 212 yards and a touchdown. 'There were times where we had him doubled and he caught the ball. Any time that you have two guys committed to one guy, you don't want him to come up with the ball. The percentages should be in your favor,' Capers said.

Link to story

Reggie Wayne player page

So, he had cramps, and was double teamed.

What other info is gonna be released about Reggie Wayne that game? Did he closed his eyes throughout the second half? Did he had his left pinky toe amputated before the game? Did he drink water at all during the game?

Not only was he double teamed, but he was constantly held and interfered with and it didn't even matter. In general, I kinda like the Packers, but one thing that annoys me is how much grabbing and holding their dbs constantly get away with. Sunday was no exception, so I loved seeing Reggie smoke them in spite of all that!

I love reggie.. but he will not be a first ballot hall of famer.. there is a log jam of wide outs waiting to get in..

if reggie plays out is current contract and then retires its what 8 years before he is on the ballot? i think thats plenty of time to clear some room. plus if him and luck can keep up this connection reggie is going to be breaking a few records in the next three years. i won't put ocho in and owens is on the fence for me. only other reciever that retired recently is h.ward...that will be a sure HOF

Im just gonna go out on a limb and say with the way he has been playing Reggie maybe just maybe, will be in the run for the receiver of the year.

Definitely if he keeps up his play, which I think he will to a certain extent.

if reggie plays out is current contract and then retires its what 8 years before he is on the ballot? i think thats plenty of time to clear some room. plus if him and luck can keep up this connection reggie is going to be breaking a few records in the next three years. i won't put ocho in and owens is on the fence for me. only other reciever that retired recently is h.ward...that will be a sure HOF

RW is one of my all time favorite Colts, and he has done nothing but reaffirm this since re-signing with the team and his play thus far this year. That being said, the only way he has a legitmate shot at the HoF is if he plays out his current contract getting over at total of 3,700 yards and 10 TDs/year. That would put him #2 receiving yards and 6th in receiving TDs. Him and Marvin are both hurt because of the playing with PM argument...if he can defy age and all the odds (and I would love to see him do it), he will be in good shape for the HoF. It would be really weird for him to get in and Marvin not to...

I love reggie.. but he will not be a first ballot hall of famer.. there is a log jam of wide outs waiting to get in..

Not so sure about that now. It depends who he's up against at that time he's eligible. He has a championship which puts him over guys like Chris Carter, who in all reality will probably get in before Reggie Wayne is eligible anyway but nonetheless. Reggie will also have the numbers to be eligible and if he continues his pace, he will have played in two era's of potentially great quarterback-receiver success while playing for the same team. Something not a lot of wide receivers are able to do, especially in today's salary cap era.

RW is one of my all time favorite Colts, and he has done nothing but reaffirm this since re-signing with the team and his play thus far this year. That being said, the only way he has a legitmate shot at the HoF is if he plays out his current contract getting over at total of 3,700 yards and 10 TDs/year. That would put him #2 receiving yards and 6th in receiving TDs. Him and Marvin are both hurt because of the playing with PM argument...if he can defy age and all the odds (and I would love to see him do it), he will be in good shape for the HoF. It would be really weird for him to get in and Marvin not to...

found this

Newly eligible: Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison

If Dungy doesn’t return to coaching, 2014 is the year he’ll start to get consideration, and he has an excellent case: He won a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts and took over a perennial doormat Tampa Bay Buccaneers franchise and led them to the playoffs four times in his six seasons.

Harrison was one of Dungy’s best players with the Colts and will probably get into the Hall, having led the league in catches twice and receiving yards twice, although the Hall of Fame voters showed by voting down Cris Carter and Tim Brown that they’re not always swayed by big receiving numbers.

The 2014 class doesn’t have many strong first-year candidates, which is good news for players who have been bypassed in previous years. This will be the year that some of the players passed over in the past (like Carter and Brown) finally make it.

@ http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/the-pro-football-hall-of-fame-classes-of-2012-and-beyond/

i think marvin gets in first ballot, ALSO

We have several years to get Cris Carter and Tim Brown out of the way, but Reggie's numbers will have to be better than Brown's, at the very least.

Let's say Reggie plays for five more years (which would give him 17, just like Brown). If he averaged 90 catches, 1250 yards, and 7 touchdowns, this is what his career numbers would look like: 1400 receptions, 19,000 yards, 110 touchdowns. Better than Brown across the board, better than Carter in receptions and yards. But there are also the receivers of his generation, and slightly before him: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, etc.

Those are some lofty numbers for a receiver in his late 30s, even in the passing era. But if he keeps a strong pace through this season and next, maybe those last couple of years could be a little less impressive. Either way, he's got quite a bit of work to do get his numbers into HOF range, and his pace would have to be significant for an aging receiver. I've kind of made my piece with the idea that Reggie won't be going to the Hall, given how long he spent as a #2 receiver, and how he'll be graded as a product of the Manning offense (which really isn't fair, or accurate, but whatever).

We have several years to get Cris Carter and Tim Brown out of the way, but Reggie's numbers will have to be better than Brown's, at the very least.

Let's say Reggie plays for five more years (which would give him 17, just like Brown). If he averaged 90 catches, 1250 yards, and 7 touchdowns, this is what his career numbers would look like: 1400 receptions, 19,000 yards, 110 touchdowns. Better than Brown across the board, better than Carter in receptions and yards. But there are also the receivers of his generation, and slightly before him: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, etc.

Those are some lofty numbers for a receiver in his late 30s, even in the passing era. But if he keeps a strong pace through this season and next, maybe those last couple of years could be a little less impressive. Either way, he's got quite a bit of work to do get his numbers into HOF range, and his pace would have to be significant for an aging receiver. I've kind of made my piece with the idea that Reggie won't be going to the Hall, given how long he spent as a #2 receiver, and how he'll be graded as a product of the Manning offense (which really isn't fair, or accurate, but whatever).

I realize its still early but Wayne is proving to the national front that he is more than just a Manning product. If anything, this season is proving that Wayne and Manning both benefited from each other. Wayne is on pace for his best statistical year ever without him while Manning clearly doesn't have the same talent in Denver. Give Wayne a half way decent QB and he will produce big numbers.

I also think the biggest thing keeping Cris Carter out of the Hall of Fame is that he seemed like a bit of a jerk and I think frankly the people who vote on it just don't like him. With Brown I never think Brown got the respect he deserved and I don't think people really realized just how good Tim Brown was. Sadly Reggie could fall into that same trap but with I think Reggie will get in sooner or later because like you said I think he'll end up with better numbers. Also if he keeps playing this way with Luck it destroys the whole "he was a product of Peyton" argument that some like to use. Frankly I think Peyton is missing him more than Wayne is missing Peyton. I am not trying to take anything away from Peyton here but maybe just maybe he benefited from playing with two Hall of Fame WRs most of his career more than we thought? Again in no way does that account for all or even most of his success and frankly once he gets comfortable in Denver I think he'll be just as deadly as he was here, but I do think we as fans are quick to dismiss just how important having Marvin and Reggie was to Peyton success.

Not only was he double teamed, but he was constantly held and interfered with and it didn't even matter. In general, I kinda like the Packers, but one thing that annoys me is how much grabbing and holding their dbs constantly get away with. Sunday was no exception, so I loved seeing Reggie smoke them in spite of all that!

Wayne caught balls with arms outstretched from every conceivable position , and u have to love the 1 handed falling down tip to oneself catch, u know Peyton Would of loved having him still to work with and Colts are so fortunate he stayed here esp for a rookie QB to have such a weapon & other WR's to learn from

I also think the biggest thing keeping Cris Carter out of the Hall of Fame is that he seemed like a bit of a jerk and I think frankly the people who vote on it just don't like him. With Brown I never think Brown got the respect he deserved and I don't think people really realized just how good Tim Brown was. Sadly Reggie could fall into that same trap but with I think Reggie will get in sooner or later because like you said I think he'll end up with better numbers. Also if he keeps playing this way with Luck it destroys the whole "he was a product of Peyton" argument that some like to use. Frankly I think Peyton is missing him more than Wayne is missing Peyton. I am not trying to take anything away from Peyton here but maybe just maybe he benefited from playing with two Hall of Fame WRs most of his career more than we thought? Again in no way does that account for all or even most of his success and frankly once he gets comfortable in Denver I think he'll be just as deadly as he was here, but I do think we as fans are quick to dismiss just how important having Marvin and Reggie was to Peyton success.

Peytons success with all receivers esp collie & Garcon so fast & early showed all were = important to all & wasnt simply a case of Having Wayne & Harrison , lets not forget Clark & others he had that all looked like stars

Love Wayne, Love Harrison , not trying to take anything away from them , but Peyton may have also helped teach them, Harrison wasnt a star till Peyton

all great in own right lets not now take away from Peyton credit he deserves because he is on another team

Yes Wayne should go to the HOF on his own merits

Frankly I think Peyton is missing him more than Wayne is missing Peyton. I am not trying to take anything away from Peyton here but maybe just maybe he benefited from playing with two Hall of Fame WRs most of his career more than we thought? Again in no way does that account for all or even most of his success and frankly once he gets comfortable in Denver I think he'll be just as deadly as he was here, but I do think we as fans are quick to dismiss just how important having Marvin and Reggie was to Peyton success.

Well, stats-wise, Peyton is actually playing his second best season of his life so far. His stats after 5 games so far are 1507 yards, 11TD, 3INT, 101.2 QB rating. He put up these stats coming off injury, playing probably the toughest first 5 games schedule of all NFL teams. His numbers are better and better each week, while Denvers's schedule is just beginning to ease off. So, it's not too bold prediction to say, that he will be able to keep this space. Or better. So he will probably finish over 5000 yards, first time in his carreer, with a 100+ QB rating (The last time he had 100+ QB rating, was year 2006. We all remember that year. :))

So, obviously, both Reggie and Peyton are doing fine without each other, proving that none of them was the other's product. They were a combo of a great QB and a great WR.

Let's hope, Reggie and Luck will finish what Peyton & Reggie started, so Reggie will indeed become a HOF. He deserves that, he is not just a great WR, but a great person as well.

I realize its still early but Wayne is proving to the national front that he is more than just a Manning product. If anything, this season is proving that Wayne and Manning both benefited from each other. Wayne is on pace for his best statistical year ever without him while Manning clearly doesn't have the same talent in Denver. Give Wayne a half way decent QB and he will produce big numbers.

Absolutely. Like I said, that perception is neither fair nor accurate, but be assured that it does exist.

Absolutely. Like I said, that perception is neither fair nor accurate, but be assured that it does exist.

absolutely love wayne & in no way do i want to diminish his accolades , but I think we dfo have to admit that having Peyton as QB helped teach him the discipline of hard work and helped him start his career off right

I am in no way saying he wouldn't have turned out great without Peyton but that Peyton helped him achieve star status sooner rather than later and set in motion the proper training needed as we all know Peyton was a stickler on repetition which does help ones hands , not that wayne doesnt have natural sticky hands

To bad for Peyton he has to untebow his current WR's

I knew people would take comments as some kinda shot at Peyton which they weren't which is why I tried to go out of my way to say I am not questioning Peyton in any manner. Clearly his track record with other players speaks for it's self. All I was trying to do is draw attention to the silly argument that has been made over the years that Wayne and even Harrison were products of Peyton by giving the reverse argument to that. I've always felt that generally speaking where you find a great QB you are going to find a great WR as well and neither would be as great as they are without the other one. Over the years there has been an attempt by some fans to discredit Wayne's success mostly because of Peyton. I am just trying to point out how silly that argument is and how this year proves it. In no way was I out to disrespect Peyton which I thought I made clear but clearly I did not.

absolutely love wayne & in no way do i want to diminish his accolades , but I think we dfo have to admit that having Peyton as QB helped teach him the discipline of hard work and helped him start his career off right

I am in no way saying he wouldn't have turned out great without Peyton but that Peyton helped him achieve star status sooner rather than later and set in motion the proper training needed as we all know Peyton was a stickler on repetition which does help ones hands , not that wayne doesnt have natural sticky hands

Yes because Wayne couldn't have had those skills on his own which is what caused the Colts to draft him in the first place...

Honestly Peyton's great and of course he's going to make any WR he plays with better but I also think it's safe to say playing with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison is going to make any QB they play with better even if he's already one of the best in the history of the game. I am sure if you asked Peyton Manning would he have liked to bring Reggie Wayne along with him to Denver he would have said yes in a heart beat and not because he needs Reggie Wayne but because what QB wouldn't love to have a WR like Reggie Wayne to get the ball to? How about we just admit Peyton, Reggie, and Marvin for that matter are all great and all three probably helped each other at times along the way but none of the three needed the others to be great?

I knew people would take comments as some kinda shot at Peyton which they weren't which is why I tried to go out of my way to say I am not questioning Peyton in any manner. Clearly his track record with other players speaks for it's self. All I was trying to do is draw attention to the silly argument that has been made over the years that Wayne and even Harrison were products of Peyton by giving the reverse argument to that. I've always felt that generally speaking where you find a great QB you are going to find a great WR as well and neither would be as great as they are without the other one. Over the years there has been an attempt by some fans to discredit Wayne's success mostly because of Peyton. I am just trying to point out how silly that argument is and how this year proves it. In no way was I out to disrespect Peyton which I thought I made clear but clearly I did not.

I don't know if anyone took it as a shot against Peyton. But the point does stand that Manning's numbers -- with a brand new team, coming off a lost year and with questions about his arm, at 36 years old -- don't reflect any kind of downward slide on his part. If the Broncos were 4-1 instead of 2-3, Manning would probably be the favorite for MVP at this point.

Absolutely, he benefited from having great weapons around him, same as any quarterback benefits from having a great receiver. And the list is endless. But he's showing now that he can produce, certainly from a numbers standpoint, without his favorite receivers.

I don't know if anyone took it as a shot against Peyton. But the point does stand that Manning's numbers -- with a brand new team, coming off a lost year and with questions about his arm, at 36 years old -- don't reflect any kind of downward slide on his part. If the Broncos were 4-1 instead of 2-3, Manning would probably be the favorite for MVP at this point.

Absolutely, he benefited from having great weapons around him, same as any quarterback benefits from having a great receiver. And the list is endless. But he's showing now that he can produce, certainly from a numbers standpoint, without his favorite receivers.

Right which is why I was trying to so hard not to come across as saying I thought Peyton was on the downside of his career. Frankly once he gets fully comfortable I expect his numbers to get better. With that said I was mostly sticking up for Wayne in terms of all the years that people made it seem like if Reggie lost Peyton Reggie would make Aaron Moorehead look like a good WR.

Absolutely, Reggie playing with Peyton helped him. We were a pass heavy offense, with a quarterback who earned a reputation as being a perfectionist. And for Reggie's first eight years, he was the second option (kind of a two-edged sword, but there's a benefit there). All of that helped his numbers.

The problem is divorcing his successful career from the quarterback he was privileged to play with, and that's not entirely possible. So when he gets lined up next to Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, and the numbers are similar, the argument will arise that Reggie played with Peyton most of his career, while other guys ... didn't.

Right which is why I was trying to so hard not to come across as saying I thought Peyton was on the downside of his career. Frankly once he gets fully comfortable I expect his numbers to get better. With that said I was mostly sticking up for Wayne in terms of all the years that people made it seem like if Reggie lost Peyton Reggie would make Aaron Moorehead look like a good WR.

If Peyton's numbers get better, we're all in trouble (yes, that includes us Colts fans). They're pretty doggone good right now.

As for Reggie, yup. He's proving that he's a legitimate receiver without Manning, which is what the argument always was. Not fair, not accurate, but it was there. And at the same time, people argued that Manning's numbers were benefited from Reggie and Marvin. It's kind of a two-way street, which nullifies the argument both ways. Either Manning helped his receivers, or his receivers helped him. If it's both, then it's moot. Good receivers help good quarterbacks, and good quarterbacks help good receivers. Nothing wrong with that.

Manning will undoubtedly wind up with HOF worthy numbers. As a matter of fact, he already has them. But Reggie doesn't, and he's almost 34. So he has some work to do, and I'm not confident he'll get there. And if he just barely gets there, or is on the edge, I think the Manning argument will hurt him. Not fair, not accurate, but it is what it is.

Yes because Wayne couldn't have had those skills on his own which is what caused the Colts to draft him in the first place...

Honestly Peyton's great and of course he's going to make any WR he plays with better but I also think it's safe to say playing with Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison is going to make any QB they play with better even if he's already one of the best in the history of the game. I am sure if you asked Peyton Manning would he have liked to bring Reggie Wayne along with him to Denver he would have said yes in a heart beat and not because he needs Reggie Wayne but because what QB wouldn't love to have a WR like Reggie Wayne to get the ball to? How about we just admit Peyton, Reggie, and Marvin for that matter are all great and all three probably helped each other at times along the way but none of the three needed the others to be great?

I thought I was saying that , guess I did a bad job of it by saying peyton helped bring out those qualities sooner rather than later and that he has to un tebow his current WR's

Hopefully anyone with common sense wouldnt think that

U need innate ability to catch balls with hands outstretched from any angle or as in last game falling down on ones back and 1 handed tipping ball to oneself for a catch and the lightning TD stretch and pull arms back to make sure ball secure if not ruled TD etc

If Peyton's numbers get better, we're all in trouble (yes, that includes us Colts fans). They're pretty doggone good right now.

As for Reggie, yup. He's proving that he's a legitimate receiver without Manning, which is what the argument always was. Not fair, not accurate, but it was there. And at the same time, people argued that Manning's numbers were benefited from Reggie and Marvin. It's kind of a two-way street, which nullifies the argument both ways. Either Manning helped his receivers, or his receivers helped him. If it's both, then it's moot. Good receivers help good quarterbacks, and good quarterbacks help good receivers. Nothing wrong with that.

Manning will undoubtedly wind up with HOF worthy numbers. As a matter of fact, he already has them. But Reggie doesn't, and he's almost 34. So he has some work to do, and I'm not confident he'll get there. And if he just barely gets there, or is on the edge, I think the Manning argument will hurt him. Not fair, not accurate, but it is what it is.

That's who I've always felt that it's moot. I think all helped each other. I have noticed though it's always been okay to argue Wayne was a product of Peyton but if you ever suggested Peyton benefited from Wayne over the years though then some how you are knocking on Peyton. Like I said in another post I think it's safe to say all three benefited from playing with each other and all three would have been great rather they played together or not we were just lucky enough to get to watch all three play together for along time.

Peyton probably took major part in developing Reggie to become the player who he is now. But this is how things go. Every player needs someone to learn from. In Reggie's case, it was Peyton, as in Andrew Luck's case, it is Reggie now. This will not make one player another player's product. I think it was a bless to have someone like Peyton for Reggie when he was a rookie, as it is a bless now for Luck to have Reggie to learn from.

We talk day by day about how much help for a rookie QB can be to be able to sit a year or two behind a great QB and learn from him? Why would be any different if a WR learns from a QB or vice versa?

I thought I was saying that , guess I did a bad job of it by saying peyton helped bring out those qualities sooner rather than later and that he has to un tebow his current WR's

Honestly it took Wayne close to three years to develop as a WR. So I don't know if Peyton helped develop him faster. I think if anyone should get credit for developing him it's probably the coaching staff and frankly his own hard work. Again having a QB like Peyton is going to make any player better than he is but as we saw with Roy Hall and Aaron Moorehead at some point the receiver has to have talent on their own and be able to develop themselves.