Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will The Real Defense Stand Up?

atapcl

The Colts seemed to play a vanila defense in the preseason. Freeney and Mathis played very little. I dont believe they game planned for the teams we played. I hope the real defense will stand up against Chicago. Freeney, Mathis, Addison, and Hughes seem to be a formidable group of OLBs. Nevis will bring the rush from inside and if we blitz the ILBs like we did in the preseason we should accrue a lot more sacks than we got last year. We have just got to stop the run from gashing us. Powers and Davis should be a dynamic duo at CBs and Antoine Bethea should be solid at FS. Hopefully Redding is healthy so we dont have to use Matthews at DE.

Iam just sick so few pieces needed and we let them slip away.Noone thinks Hughes,or Addison can take Freeneys spot clear up the millions is too late now.When FA hits and more cuts come and bank book empty remember why the colts pass.They chose a gamble over other players:( we were so so close to being competitive on def IMO maybe another vet CB and a true NT .Can only hope Chapman plays soon which i was hoping they would let him fully heal.Our LBrs will do fine minus 1 in my opinion.Cbs should be ok and safeties the same.Offense looks great cant wait to see Luck play 4 quarters and the field get stretched for him more in regular season.An OG or 2 was needed and we passed to keep Freeney no dollars there either.Look at OGs salaries on teams and a NT think we could buy 3 for FReeney?Oh i forget someone told me he helps win games.UH Duh its a team effort they all help if they can but i think Link or another OG could cost us a QB.But its all good as long as Freeney plays because his idle is here as Freeney is there Superman.

The Colts seemed to play a vanila defense in the preseason. Freeney and Mathis played very little. I dont believe they game planned for the teams we played. I hope the real defense will stand up against Chicago. Freeney, Mathis, Addison, and Hughes seem to be a formidable group of OLBs. Nevis will bring the rush from inside and if we blitz the ILBs like we did in the preseason we should accrue a lot more sacks than we got last year. We have just got to stop the run from gashing us. Powers and Davis should be a dynamic duo at CBs and Antoine Bethea should be solid at FS. Hopefully Redding is healthy so we dont have to use Matthews at DE.

You're correct, we didn't game plan against anyone. (Neither did they against us, for what it's worth) The preseason is for evaluation of players and plays.

It's pretty obvious that our weakness is on the D-line, especially at NT. It will be interesting to see if we can stop the run against the Bears.

I think we can be a mid level D if we can keep our starting CBs healthy.

smitto our problem was stopping the run?How does Freeney fit into that and our secondary?I was just wondering we couldnt stop the run and you mention ?Freeney and secondary confused me.

One way would be if Freeeny/Mathis set the edge better than they have during the pre-season that fixes the runs.

As for the secondary, if they can play more man-to-man (which Vontae can do), that frees up more people to be in the box to stop the run.

One way would be if Freeeny/Mathis set the edge better than they have during the pre-season that fixes the runs.

As for the secondary, if they can play more man-to-man (which Vontae can do), that frees up more people to be in the box to stop the run.

Guess you didnt see all that gap running,Freeney never could play the run,

All I'm saying is if those two can do a better job of staying in their gap and set the edge of the run, it will look better than it did during the pre-season. Not expecting a top 10 run defense out of the group.

Do you have some sort of hatred for Freeney that needs to be talked about?? It's not his fault that our previous GM didn't seem to understand the team concept and dished out huge contracts to keep the few good draft picks he ever had. Seriously, if you did your job good and were offered money like you did your job great, you wouldn't take it?

Also, I don't know if Smitto's reply was to state what an answer to the weak run defense would be. He was just stating he hopes those people show up in the defense.

Do you have some sort of hatred for Freeney that needs to be talked about??

Not just for Freeney, but increasingly for anyone who doesn't think Freeney ought to be "dropped like a hot tater." It's gotten to the point that Freeney -- one of the best pass rushers in the league -- is the reason our defense can't reach its full potential, whatever that may be.

Sorry if I got my sarcasm on you, by the way.

To get back to the OP, I think this defense will be a lot of fun to watch compared to what we saw during pre-season; along with what we have been seeing for the last few years. I foresee there will be blitzes from every direction, balls knocked down (if not intercepted) and some big hits.

Yes, there will be growing pains during that but I think if we can get all our starters on the field together we will see something better than what we were seeing during the pre-season for sure.

Iam just sick so few pieces needed and we let them slip away.Noone thinks Hughes,or Addison can take Freeneys spot clear up the millions is too late now.When FA hits and more cuts come and bank book empty remember why the colts pass.They chose a gamble over other players:( we were so so close to being competitive on def IMO maybe another vet CB and a true NT .Can only hope Chapman plays soon which i was hoping they would let him fully heal.Our LBrs will do fine minus 1 in my opinion.Cbs should be ok and safeties the same.Offense looks great cant wait to see Luck play 4 quarters and the field get stretched for him more in regular season.An OG or 2 was needed and we passed to keep Freeney no dollars there either.Look at OGs salaries on teams and a NT think we could buy 3 for FReeney?Oh i forget someone told me he helps win games.UH Duh its a team effort they all help if they can but i think Link or another OG could cost us a QB.But its all good as long as Freeney plays because his idle is here as Freeney is there Superman.

I hear ya baa. I don`t think Freeney will do worth a hoot. They will run his way like always I fear.

Agree about out RGuard situation. But for whatever reason, I think there just are not enough good O-Lineman to go around.

Not sure anything thing but Big$$$ in FA will get us one anytime soon. lol

Now if Freeney turns out to be for us what Suggs is for the Ravens then what? I mean we really havent seen what Freeney can do or how he will be used, Its just preseason and you dont want to give away are schemes to early I mean give it time people, an for those in a hurry to see Freeney cut I hope understand if he is on the team or not we will still have to pay him the only true way out is trading him, which I think could turn into one of the biggest mistakes we can make this year

I'm thinking we'll be in the top half of the league as far as team defense.

If I'm rating each projected starter.....

Redding - B; The last few seasons he has been a beast as a 3-4 DE. But I have to bear in mind it was with the Ravens, playing on a defense with Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, Reed, etc might make someone look better than they are. I'd give him a higher grade, but he's been hurt twice in the preseason so far too.....

Moala - C; He is largely an enigma to me. Some people think he's extremely underrated, others think he flat out sucks. I see a guy that doesn't get pushed around, but he rarely makes a standout play. I'd just say he's an average player. Significantly better than Mathews if you ask me.

AJ - C+; Still largely unknown at NT, although I feel he fits there better than he does at 4-3 DT. One play he can destroy the double team and tackle the RB for a loss, next play he's slow off the snap and gets whiped out. Clearly works best in a tandem, hopefully the new guy can spell him effectively.

Nevis - B; Not a projected starter, but I feel he's a significant role player in the Nickel/Pass rushing packages. I really like him in that role. He'll play limited snaps so his motor should be running high. I see him getting some sacks on the 3rd and 7ish downs.

Freeney - B; The best pure pass rusher in the game should theoretically get a higher grade, but I worry about his play against the run. In preseason it's been hard to gauge how effective he'll be, but it definitely looks like he's making more effort to contain the edge than in years past. On pass rush downs though he gets his usual A+.

Mathis - B+; Haven't seen much of him yet, but there's no way in heck he's worse than a solid B+. I know people think he's undersized, can't stop the run, blah blah blah, he is a strong man and I've seen him bull rush 320 LB OTs into the backfield and stuff the run. His pass rushing should still be top notch. I'd give him an A, but his preseason injury concerns me a little.

Conner - C+; I love this dude's ability to sniff out the run and stuff the RB. But I hate this guy if he has to cover a TE in man-to-man. He'll probably have more zone responsibilities so he can probably handle that, but his coverage scares me.

Freeman - C-; I know everyone's high on him, but I've barely noticed him. The once or twice I did notice him, he missed a tackle in the Pittsburgh game on one play, then the other time he shot the exact same gap as Conner and the back broke out for a big gain. I'm sure he'll get better with more experience, but in the mean time.....I want the Angry MLB back.

Davis - A-; I think I was the most stoked person on this board about this signing. He'll get up to speed quickly. He clearly wanted out of Miami.....can you blame him? Now he's going to be a key member of a soon-to-be top 5 defense....once the roster is filled with better players. He will be a shutdown CB one day.

Powers - B; As a #1 CB he'd be rated with a C. I think he'll be able to play some tight, man coverage, but until I see it consistently it's basically just a projected guess here.

Bethea - A-; One of the best all-around Safeties in the league. The guy can play the box, man coverage, zone coverage, and now he'll probably be blitzing on occasion. A Pro Bowl Safety that should be making another one this year.

Zbikowski - C; I don't know about him. Didn't make much of an impression in the preseason, but maybe that's a good thing. It's been hard to judge him much, so you'd have to get back to me after he gets a few games under his belt. I know Americolt agrees with me, but I think he's about the only one, I like Joe Lefeged at SS much better than Zibby.

Most of the depth kinda sucks though.

Now if Freeney turns out to be for us what Suggs is for the Ravens then what? I mean we really havent seen what Freeney can do or how he will be used, Its just preseason and you dont want to give away are schemes to early I mean give it time people, an for those in a hurry to see Freeney cut I hope understand if he is on the team or not we will still have to pay him the only true way out is trading him, which I think could turn into one of the biggest mistakes we can make this year

Actually its a simple matter of cutting him before week 1 and then were off the hook 14 million, Now We are gonna keep him I have no doubt. The real question is, will what he do this year 14 million dollars. Im excited to see if his play improves but I just dont see it being worth 14 million dollars worth, thats for elite numbers

A pity Polian wasn't still on our books, then he could have appealled to the League Comittee to allow us to sign everybody and anybody we wanted, no matter the cost, the other team's stance, and their current contract etc.

Shameful how we are not trying to improve our roster....

A pity Polian wasn't still on our books, then he could have appealled to the League Comittee to allow us to sign everybody and anybody we wanted, no matter the cost, the other team's stance, and their current contract etc.

Shameful how we are not trying to improve our roster....

To Iam talking 14 million you couldnt sign any good oline men with that oh i forgot we held onto the gamble for 2 long noone left duh.Couldve wouldve shouldve along time ago.Cant wait for another season of Freeney spinning out of position RB blasts by yay.

Actually its a simple matter of cutting him before week 1 and then were off the hook 14 million, Now We are gonna keep him I have no doubt. The real question is, will what he do this year 14 million dollars. Im excited to see if his play improves but I just dont see it being worth 14 million dollars worth, thats for elite numbers

Its over 19 million this year with his 5 million bonus Freeney =nearly 1/6th of teams cap more than Manning,Drew,Brady,Eli lol just to watch him spin out hmm.

Freeney can play the run his bull rushes are really good and he has power to shed blockers. Freeney just needs to learn that he can't be crashing in all the time he's gotta set the edge and so do the other DEs which included mathis

Freeney can play the run his bull rushes are really good and he has power to shed blockers. Freeney just needs to learn that he can't be crashing in all the time he's gotta set the edge and so do the other DEs which included mathis

I hope in this new defensive scheme he can learn a little more discipline and actually set an edge and keep contain. Can't tell you how many times a team would just let him fly into the backfield and run a draw to the spot that he just vacated. For years all he was asked to do is just go straight to the QB as fast as you can and those become hard habits to break. He was turned into a one dimensional player (albeit a really good one) but he needs to become somebody that can do a multitude of things if he's going to help this defense this year. Just running to the QB isn't going to cut it anymore.

I hope in this new defensive scheme he can learn a little more discipline and actually set an edge and keep contain. Can't tell you how many times a team would just let him fly into the backfield and run a draw to the spot that he just vacated. For years all he was asked to do is just go straight to the QB as fast as you can and those become hard habits to break. He was turned into a one dimensional player (albeit a really good one) but he needs to become somebody that can do a multitude of things if he's going to help this defense this year. Just running to the QB isn't going to cut it anymore.

True that and if he cant accomplish that I say let Hughes start... I like free ney just as much as anyone here but if he can't help this defend progress then he needs to sit down..

But we'll see come the first game

True that and if he cant accomplish that I say let Hughes start... I like free ney just as much as anyone here but if he can't help this defend progress then he needs to sit down..

But we'll see come the first game

The only problem with sitting him is, Are you willing to sit a 14 million dollar man?

The only problem with sitting him is, Are you willing to sit a 14 million dollar man?

I don't think they would, if it helps the defense then definitely. What I think is if freeney doesn't turn out to be a good LB then just trade him for and avg backup or low draft pick.... give the raiders freeney and a low round draft pick for Aaron curry

I think they would, if it helps the defense then definitely. What I think is if freeney doesn't turn out to be a good LB then just trade him for and avg backup or low draft pick.... give the raiders freeney and a low round draft pick for Aaron curry

I don't think they would, if it helps the defense then definitely. What I think is if freeney doesn't turn out to be a good LB then just trade him for and avg backup or low draft pick.... give the raiders freeney and a low round draft pick for Aaron curry

Your not going to trade a 14 million dollar contract release him is idea and let mario or hughes play spend money elsewhere

Nah the trade can still be done technically but were not ever going to get a high draft pick for him. If we trade him I think it will be for no higher than a 5th or maybe a 5th and a back up player with potential , The trade can be done but once he is on the roster week 1 he is due 14 million. But we are keeping him thats evident to me

Your not going to trade a 14 million dollar contract release him is idea and let mario or hughes play spend money elsewhere

You know that even if we release him we wont get 14million in cap space, right? We would have to take the hit either way and i don't know why you are so againts one of the best players we still have from last decade, because of what he didn't show in preseason.

Laughable.

To Iam talking 14 million you couldnt sign any good oline men with that oh i forgot we held onto the gamble for 2 long noone left duh.Couldve wouldve shouldve along time ago.Cant wait for another season of Freeney spinning out of position RB blasts by yay.

I really have no idea what you are saying Ba.....don't write the way you speak. If I did, it would be something like this:

Och aye the noo Mrs Doubtfire, can ye noo get a wee whiskeee and drink it doon faust. Freedooooom.

You know that even if we release him we wont get 14million in cap space, right? We would have to take the hit either way and i don't know why you are so againts one of the best players we still have from last decade, because of what he didn't show in preseason.

Laughable.

I'm not 100% certain when the cut off day is, but until the official start of the regular season, Freeney's contract is not fully guaranteed. That might have been today. It might be Tuesday. Not sure.

I think the week 3 preseason game against the Skins showed that our defense is still vulnerable to teams that run the Shanahan the 1 cut, zone blocking scheme.... Our biggest conference rival happens to excel at that very same scheme. We better figure it out before the end of the year when we face the Texans.

Laughable.

That's not true. Can't remember when the cutoff date is, but they could still release him and save the 14 mil. It won't happen now, but the point is, they still have time to do it if they found a good enough reason to do it.

We obviously have not shown what we have yet..

None of our key players have played inthe 4th quarter yet.......

Its the only advanatge we have going into Chicago Sunday..

WE have a reasonable expectation of what they do offensively and defensively.

They dont really have a soldi idea of what we do...especially defensively

You can still trade freeney no reason why they can't, but freeney is staying on this team so I'm hoping he can make some plays

Have you ever passed a high school English course?