• 1.7k views
  3. Kick-Off Changes

• 26 replies
    • 2.2k views
  4. Cam Newton

• 8 replies
    • 2.2k views
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • 2024 Season Tickets

• DougDew, I have disagreed with you on many things.  However, I will give credit when it is due, this is the most cogent post I remember you making, excellent.
    • You know football season is back when this forum is in meltdown mode in May... Lol
    • Yeah, I don't think their QB problem is completely solved, but going from Pickett/Trubisky for Wilson/Fields, for less money and basically some pick swaps? That's great work. Even if Wilson is cooked and Fields is a mess, there's way more upside with Fields alone, not to mention a potential baseline level of competence that Wilson might provide if he's not completely done.   Even if Wilson is pretty good, I think they'll want to get Fields on the field for meaningful snaps, just to see what they might have before he hits free agency. He's too talented to let him ride the bench all season.
    • Hopefully Pitt is ok.   Loving the vibe and energy from everyone. I truly believe it's going to be a special season 
    • I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be added in reference to anything medical.     Offsets could be part of what's being negotiated.    More than that, I think the sticking point in this range of the draft is overall guaranteed money. From the top of the second round to the middle, the difference in overall guarantees has been slightly growing in recent years, as early second round guys are getting more guaranteed.    For example, in 2021, the #33 pick was Tyson Campbell, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary, and part of his Year 3 salary. The #52 pick that year was Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1&2 salary. In 2023, the #33 pick was Will Levis, and his guarantees included his signing bonus + Year 1-3 salary, and part of his Year 4 salary. The #52 pick was Zach Charbonnet, and his guarantees were the same as the guy in 2021 -- signing bonus +Year 1&2 salary. So there's been a lift at the top of the second round, but it has not extended to the middle of the round. Yet.   (A slight monkey wrench last year is that the Dolphins lost their first round pick for tampering, so the #33 pick in 2023 was actually the second pick of the second round, not the first pick of the second round. That would have been #32, Joey Porter Jr, who also got guaranteed money into Year 4.)   Plus, as more gets guaranteed in this range, the offset discussion becomes more important. No one cares about offsets when only Year 1 is guaranteed. As those guarantees go into Year 3 or 4, now we need to talk about offset language. Especially since fourth year players are not subject to waivers.   So I think the middle of the second round is where there's a big sticking point right now. In 2011, this was more seen at the end of the first round (which is why Anthony Castonzo's negotiations went a few days into training camp). It keeps moving back gradually, but this explains why only 11/32 second round picks are signed so far. As the dominoes fall, everyone kind of finds their level, and then the next year's class tries to push the guarantees a little bit further. By the end of the decade, the entire second round might be getting the first three years fully guaranteed, with no offset language.   By the way, there are 20 unsigned first rounders (including eight of the top ten), and 21 unsigned second rounders (including the five players who went right before AD Mitchell, and the eight players who went right after him). So everyone should buckle up, because there's a lot of work to be done league-wide, and for the most part it has nothing to do with the individual players involved.   (Sorry this went so long, I started getting carried away.)
  • Topics