Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mario Williams~ @ Olb

Been watching him every play, same thing. He's speed rushing the QB on every down from the outside, standing up. It seems to be creating much liability concerning the run defense. I haven't seen them drop him back into coverage, not once. He isn't stunting, he's just an outside rusher and looks terribly uncomfortable. The Jets are actually targeting him.

Your thoughts?

Well it's because he has no experience dropping back, all he does is rush rush rush.

I expected some creativity. An OLB can't operate in this way. His package is disappointingly generic in the early go.

Can't expect a 4-3 DE to transition to a 3-4 OLB in three weeks of training camps and practices. The defensive transition as a whole takes between 2 and 4 years, and as great of a player as Mario is, he's going to struggle dropping back. He looked kind of lost today, but will get better.

Can't expect a 4-3 DE to transition to a 3-4 OLB in three weeks of training camps and practices. The defensive transition as a whole takes between 2 and 4 years, and as great of a player as Mario is, he's going to struggle dropping back. He looked kind of lost today, but will get better.

The Texans and Mario do not have 2-4 years. NFL careers do not wait for that sort of allowance. Wade got canned after what, 2 years at Dallas? Kubiak ain't on a long leash either. I cannot understand a move like this unless they were sure it could work.

The Texans and Mario do not have 2-4 years. NFL careers do not wait for that sort of allowance. Wade got canned after what, 2 years at Dallas? Kubiak ain't on a long leash either. I cannot understand a move like this unless they were sure it could work.

Ha, that's what I'm thinking. The Packers are the best example of a recent transition from 4-3 to 3-4. They did it while in a rebuilding process that included signing Charles Woodson and drafting Clay Matthews. The Texans don't have a monster OLB like Clay Matthews that is going to explode in the 3-4, and as you mentioned, they don't have the time.

Ha, that's what I'm thinking. The Packers are the best example of a recent transition from 4-3 to 3-4. They did it while in a rebuilding process that included signing Charles Woodson and drafting Clay Matthews. The Texans don't have a monster OLB like Clay Matthews that is going to explode in the 3-4, and as you mentioned, they don't have the time.

I posted in the related thread here> http://www.colts.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1001-texans-defense-looks-very-good-looks-very-aggressive/

...that after much thought it occurred to me that Wade is purposely withholding his true schematics for Mario until the week 1 match-up vs the Colts. I would argue your assertion that they don't have a monster OLB, per this threads subject. There has never been more of a monster at OLB before. The unprecedented 6 FOOT 9 INCH freak, Mario, could eat Clay Matthews for a snack. The question remains, can Mario drop back into coverage as can Clay? I have my doubts. The desired effect is similar to what we saw Harrison do to the Cardinals during their SB match-up. Get Manning used to the monster rushing and then, without cue, he drops back and picks the pass.

Been watching him every play, same thing. He's speed rushing the QB on every down from the outside, standing up. It seems to be creating much liability concerning the run defense. I haven't seen them drop him back into coverage, not once. He isn't stunting, he's just an outside rusher and looks terribly uncomfortable. The Jets are actually targeting him.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? A couple of things.

1) Do you think they are going to open the play book and show everything they plan on doing with him in the preseason? Why put that on tape for others to see?

2) It is the first preseason game after an unprecedented offseason. There is bound to be rust and/or unfamiliarity due to the schematic change.

The Texans as a whole looked pretty good on D with the starters in - they seemed to swarm the line, were aggressive in pursuit and got alot of pressure, without blitzing too

How many times have we seen former Pro Bowl 4-3-ers struggle in a 3-4 and ultimately end up getting cut or traded (eg Vilma and Kampmann) but the same time the D overall getting better

I'll happily settle for Mario Williams being a beast if it means the rest of the Texan D sucks.

I'm glad we play them in Wk.1 where we'll at least catch them while they're inexperienced and haven't begun to gel yet. If Phillips succeeds in turning around that D (and based on his defensive body of work there's plenty of reason to believe he will) looks like fun times ahead in the AFC South

My thoughts? A couple of things.

1) Do you think they are going to open the play book and show everything they plan on doing with him in the preseason? Why put that on tape for others to see?

No, certainly not. I was taken back by the fact that he ran the same exact rush pattern every single time. No stunt, no drop, the same thing. Hence why I created this thread, I was surprised by it.

As I have posted, it has since occurred to me that this must have been by design. Mario's flavor of vanilla was served as bland as could be, purposely. Or at least I surmise that.

I hold out the possibility that this was just simply a bad idea and they will have to rethink it because it doesn't work.

I will post my breakdown of what I saw of WIlliams in his first action against the Jets. When I say SOLB, I am referring to the spot on the defense where he will be challenging the right side of the Jets O-line. Take it for what it's worth:

1st - 10: Mario Lined up at SOLB Watt LDE. 3 step drop Mario bullying RT into backfield, Watt pushing his man backwards as well.

2nd - 5 : Run play to Smith/Barwin side

1st - 10: (ESPN Coverage sucks BTW, this play was already snapped when the actual play came back into view on the tv but. Watt looks like he's pushing his man really far into the pocket and Mario was working on the same side as Smith. Barwin was covering RB. Screen pass to RB, pickup of 5.

2nd - 5 : Watt beat his man good almost batted the ball middle coverage was nowhere. Mario got stonewalled on his bull rush. 3 step drop again for sanchez

1st - 10: Run towards Mario/Watt side but both those players basically held em in check while Sharpton cleaned up. No gain

2nd - 9 : 3 step drop again for Sanchez. Mario got cut by Fergesun (straight to the knee), Smith got kind of run over to where Mario fell and was ineffective, Barwin didn't make it in enough time before he got the throw off.

3rd - 6 : 4 down lineman. Barwin, Smith, Watt, Mario, Adibi close to the line. They rushed 5 (Adibi extra rusher) Mario went in on a stunt and basically pressure from all sides, Sanchez had no choice.

FG

Grand Total: 7 snaps

next possession

1st - 10: Mario and Barwin switch sides so that Mario is over Smith and Barwin is over Watt. Barwin doesn't quite make it to his position in time before ball is snapped. Bootleg, everybody bites, Sanchez thorws an easy pass that is dropped.

2nd - 10: Barwin on the weakside quite a bit, lot of ILBs bunched up in the middle Mario outside technique. 3 step drop nobody had a shot to get near Sanchez before the throw. Completed

1st - 10: 1 Step out route throw to Jason Allen. One of the DB's had okay coverage and got him down without much YAC. Nothing the DLine could do

2nd - 5 : Infamous draw play that Mario Williams was responsible for as dubbed by ESPN. Suffice to say, I don't think Mario is the one you blame there, ILB's had a shot on him free for a short gain and didn't make the opportunity. Mitchell didn't

do so hot either

1st - 10: Watt gets huge pressure up the middle by beating his man badly, and then Earl Mitchell cleans up. RT handled Mario kept him out of the play.

2nd - 11: Watt and Mario working a lot to gether but it's on the left end. Run towards Barwin/Smith side, offensive penalty repeat down.

2nd - 20: Draw play to Barwin/Smith side. Cleaned up well.

3rd - 13: 4 Down lineman Barwin, Smith, Watt, Mario. Nickel packge. A. Smith encroachment.

3rd - 8 : Tomlinson run, right at Barwin, only good for 3. Punt

Grand Total 9 snaps

Overall I'm not as displeased with Mario's performance as I thought before. Jets just took a lot of 3 step drops and some screens and smokes. Get a better overall thought with Saints.

Guest BlueShoe

I don't think he looks very good at OLB (RUSH LB).

He is a talent so I am not going to count him out, but if I had to make a prediction then I would say EPIC FAIL.

I think Peyton will be throwing to his side testing him early and often in our week 1 match-up. can't wait.

Peyton is going to abuse the middle of the field all game long if he's playing. Also, inside running should be on the menu for your guys as well.