Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't Be Too Upset With Irsay, Manning Is Still Not Healthy.

SilentHill

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most definately he will pass a physical and have a private workout. We do know he threw for Denver this past weekend...50 passes to Brandon Stokely at a Denver park. That was already reported. To be honest I don't think he will even have to throw for Tennessee based off their zeal to get him. No doubt Elway watched him throw while in Denver. To me it is between those two. I really want him to go to Denver. I don't want to face him twice a year and I also want him to come back to OUR front office after he is done and not Tennessee to be like a talent advisor or team president...but that may happen anyways...I just don't want him to burn bridges with Irsay seeing as he can might take offense.

You understand that these teams at this point are only going by his doctor reports and his film of him throwing , right. Most teams say that is good enough for them. Denver, Stokley, says he is as good as he can remember. WoW. I guess they dont need anything else. Would you

I would be interested in seeing the structure of the contract that PM signs with his new team, especially the term and guaranteed amounts of bonuses. That will tell me loads about the team's confidence that PM can play to term and how much they are willing to risk on that bet.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Insult, personal shot
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Insult, personal shot

I would be interested in seeing the structure of the contract that PM signs with his new team, especially the term and guaranteed amounts of bonuses. That will tell me loads about the team's confidence that PM can play to term and how much they are willing to risk on that bet.

Shut Up. lol. Your are such a .......

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Reponse to personal shot
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Reponse to personal shot

Shut Up. lol. Your are such a .......

In a public forum, telling me to shut up is not very effective. It only shows your lack of character, and intolerance of opinions that do not agree with your own.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Reponse to deleted post
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 15, 2012 - Reponse to deleted post

In a public forum, telling me to shut up is not very effective. It only shows your lack of character, and intolerance of opinions that do not agree with your own.

What dont you understand, the great are great.

Yes, personal attacks are the first sign of a losing arguement. I agree that the contract will be protective of the team but Peyton will want that too. Remember...Irsay wanted to make Peytons last contract ALL guaranteed with basically no outs. Peyton asked to change that. I don't have the quote on that but Mortansen reported that awhile back so take that for a grain or whatever I don't know what you think of him. Peyton will protect the next team too. I am sure he will have the contract written with outs in it. I believe Peyton will get a big contract..probably around 15-18 million a year but I can't see him eating all the cap space to help the team surround him with better players. The cap will go up in the next couple years so while he wants to win right away I see 2012 as a year in transition for him...and 2013 and 2014 as all or nothing. Is he worth it....to a team without a qb I believe so. To someone who has been blessed to watch him play for the last 14 years I think so too but I understand some might not agree.

Yes, personal attacks are the first sign of a losing arguement. I agree that the contract will be protective of the team but Peyton will want that too. Remember...Irsay wanted to make Peytons last contract ALL guaranteed with basically no outs. Peyton asked to change that. I don't have the quote on that but Mortansen reported that awhile back so take that for a grain or whatever I don't know what you think of him. Peyton will protect the next team too. I am sure he will have the contract written with outs in it. I believe Peyton will get a big contract..probably around 15-18 million a year but I can't see him eating all the cap space to help the team surround him with better players. The cap will go up in the next couple years so while he wants to win right away I see 2012 as a year in transition for him...and 2013 and 2014 as all or nothing. Is he worth it....to a team without a qb I believe so. To someone who has been blessed to watch him play for the last 14 years I think so too but I understand some might not agree.

Yes, Peyton saved Irsay's butt with that option structure. Little did Peyton know it would be unexercised at the time. I think at the signing of that contract, both parties expected Peyton to be back on his feet and starting behind center. Nobody expected he would miss an entire season.

As for Peyton's next contract, I am somewhat doubtful about it. I agree that he will probably not accept anything less than $14MM average annual compensation. However, I think it will be difficult for a team to give that and both save cap space and mitigate Peyton's health risk with a hefty guaranteed money bonus. Even if they use incentives (because they will all be NLTBEs) that will hit the cap in 2013. And the cap is not projected to increase much until 2014 (additional TV revenues).

The 2012 cap is only a $300K increase from the 2011 cap.

Whichever way it turns out, I will be very interested in the details. It will tell me much about what was negotiated.

Yes, Peyton saved Irsay's butt with that option structure. Little did Peyton know it would be unexercised at the time. I think at the signing of that contract, both parties expected Peyton to be back on his feet and starting behind center. Nobody expected he would miss an entire season.

As for Peyton's next contract, I am somewhat doubtful about it. I agree that he will probably not accept anything less than $14MM average annual compensation. However, I think it will be difficult for a team to give that and both save cap space and mitigate Peyton's health risk with a hefty guaranteed money bonus. Even if they use incentives (because they will all be NLTBEs) that will hit the cap in 2013. And the cap is not projected to increase much until 2014 (additional TV revenues).

Whichever way it turns out, I will be very interested in the details. It will tell me much about what was negotiated.

I see it the same way as you...however 2013/ 2014 is expected to go up approximately 6-8 million...now that doesn't mean tons but heck Denver has 50 million cap space right now...and of course whatever they are under this year they carry over to next. The titans have significant cap space as well. Besides every team has bad contracts and can be restructured or cut. Teams will definately be willing to manager a tight cap to have a true franchise qb....small price to pay. We could have done this as well but had "LUCK" fall in our laps lol.

I see it the same way as you...however 2013/ 2014 is expected to go up approximately 6-8 million...now that doesn't mean tons but heck Denver has 50 million cap space right now...and of course whatever they are under this year they carry over to next. The titans have significant cap space as well. Besides every team has bad contracts and can be restructured or cut. Teams will definately be willing to manager a tight cap to have a true franchise qb....small price to pay. We could have done this as well but had "LUCK" fall in our laps lol.

I think it was a matter of circumstances that Andrew Luck came available in this upcoming draft, and that the Colts are in a position to draft him.

Clearly, I do not see that Andrew Luck was at fault for being the consensus overall #1 draft prospect.

Nor do I see that Peyton was at fault for sustaining the injury that led to his surgeries (although I do hold him partially at fault for waiting so long to get the fusion done).

Nor do I see that Mr. Irsay was at fault for choosing to release Peyton.

I think the perfect storm of circumstances occurred that all pointed to what has happened.

With that said, I will still be interested in how Peyton continues to rehab and play.

I think it was a matter of circumstances that Andrew Luck came available in this upcoming draft, and that the Colts are in a position to draft him.

Clearly, I do not see that Andrew Luck was at fault for being the consensus overall #1 draft prospect.

Nor do I see that Peyton was at fault for sustaining the injury that led to his surgeries (although I do hold him partially at fault for waiting so long to get the fusion done).

Nor do I see that Mr. Irsay was at fault for choosing to release Peyton.

I think the perfect storm of circumstances occurred that all pointed to what has happened.

With that said, I will still be interested in how Peyton continues to rehab and play.

I didn't mean it was Lucks fault at all. I know you didn't feel the same way but I thought we should have kept them both. If Luck wouldn't have been there I am almost 100% certain we traded that pick. We could have taken RG3 but we likely would have sat him. I am not going to burn pictures of Irsay or nothing but to me it obviously is his fault for releasing Peyton. He didn't have to do that but choose to. I don't think there can be a question that it was his decision and his decision alone. Again..I don't hate the guy but I just disagree with his decision.

Yeah...really interesting...tebowmania has nothing on Peyton watch lol.

I didn't mean it was Lucks fault at all. I know you didn't feel the same way but I thought we should have kept them both. If Luck wouldn't have been there I am almost 100% certain we traded that pick. We could have taken RG3 but we likely would have sat him. I am not going to burn pictures of Irsay or nothing but to me it obviously is his fault for releasing Peyton. He didn't have to do that but choose to. I don't think there can be a question that it was his decision and his decision alone. Again..I don't hate the guy but I just disagree with his decision.

Yeah...really interesting...tebowmania has nothing on Peyton watch lol.

From my perspective, I saw that Irsay didn't really have any other choice. He had to release Peyton before that March option exercise date. The contract would have penalized the team ($28MM) if he did not release Peyton before that date. If Irsay decided to pay the option bonus ($28MM), he would have kept Peyton on the team, but then exposed the team to great risk of uncertainty if Peyton could go for 2012-2015. Associated with any no-go, would be an acceleration of prorated bonus pieces to the cap, that would cripple the team (worse case scenario would eat up 1/3 of the total team cap). On top of that Irsay knew the situation about the 2012 cap, that if he paid the option to Peyton, he could not keep many of the players that have since been cut, nor afford anyone in FA.

He made the only decision that could rationally be made under these circumstances.

From my perspective, I saw that Irsay didn't really have any other choice. He had to release Peyton before that March option exercise date. The contract would have penalized the team ($28MM) if he did not release Peyton before that date. If Irsay decided to pay the option bonus ($28MM), he would have kept Peyton on the team, but then exposed the team to great risk of uncertainty if Peyton could go for 2012-2015. Associated with any no-go, would be an acceleration of prorated bonus pieces to the cap, that would cripple the team (worse case scenario would eat up 1/3 of the total team cap). On top of that Irsay knew the situation about the 2012 cap, that if he paid the option to Peyton, he could not keep many of the players that have since been cut, nor afford anyone in FA.

He made the only decision that could rationally be made under these circumstances.

Sorry I don't agree and while I know you don't agree with me I don't think it is irrational my case..perhaps not popular I guess. They knew what the cap was going to be when they signed him...correct? They knew what his cap hit would be and knew they were going to lose players. They had a plan to keep him all along. What was the plan originally??? They still could have done it AND added Luck or traded for picks.(I would keep Luck) Garcon was gone regardless. Wayne got brought back and certainly Saturday could have to and I think moving Freeney was the key. We could have drafted Luck and in round two a replacement for Garcon. Taken defense the rest of the draft. Would we be a super bowl team...idk..we would have been a competitive playoff quality team and 9-7 won last year. I understand the health status issue I do and that is how I can accept his decision and not flat out hate the guy but by March 8th I believe we all knew enough to say Peyton was going to be/get healthy (maybe not to others but I feel that way and I know I may not matter but this is my opinion). I understand he cut him because of uncertainty and his contract but I feel like it had more to do with he saw a cheaper replacement for Peyton and saw an opportunity to rebuild rather than reload. I totally get it...understand his motives and theory and pray it works. I disagree. I think Andrew would have greatly benefited from working along side Peyton...training...watching tape...picking his brain...learning..and yes even being motivated by sitting. Sometimes having to earn a spot can motivate someone to be even greater than handing it to them. I just thought we could have transitioned....and not rebuilt. With Peyton I saw us as no worse than a 9-7 team and I would have got to witness greatness every sunday in Indy for the next few years and then hopefully a new greatness in a couple years when Luck took over with us still right there at the door. Didn't happen and that was Irsay's decision and I accept that. I have to say the way things have gone I have thoroughly agreed with our moves as we have gone since we took this direction. All been smart and followed the path. Trading Freeney would be the next step imo. I am on board with the Colts even if I think they made a mistake in letting Peyton go.

Sorry I don't agree and while I know you don't agree with me I don't think it is irrational my case..perhaps not popular I guess. They knew what the cap was going to be when they signed him...correct?

You don't have to apologize for disagreeing with me. I think we are entitled to disagree.

I don't know who you mean by "they". I doubt PM knew about the salary cap issue before the signing of the contract. I don't know if Irsay knew the salary cap situation when he signed the contract. I think BP/CP should have known the cap situation at the time of the contract signing. However, I don't know if they knew or communicated it to Irsay.

They knew what his cap hit would be and knew they were going to lose players. They had a plan to keep him all along. What was the plan originally???

I imagine the original plan was doing what BP/CP always do....keep aging players who were often injured and overpay them. Sign no new blood in FA. Basically everything they did to arrive at where they needed to be fired.

They still could have done it AND added Luck or traded for picks.(I would keep Luck) Garcon was gone regardless. Wayne got brought back and certainly Saturday could have to and I think moving Freeney was the key. We could have drafted Luck and in round two a replacement for Garcon. Taken defense the rest of the draft. Would we be a super bowl team...idk..we would have been a competitive playoff quality team and 9-7 won last year.

Freeney is still the key. He is the largest piece of the 2012 cap at $19MM. Peyton was the next largest piece at $17MM. Keeping PM, and Addai, Bullitt, Brackett, Clark, and Luck, even without Garcon or Wayne, the Colts would have been just at the cap, without signing any FAs besides Mathis. This situation would continue because Peyton's cap hits increase in successive years. I think the team could have kept a bare minimum team together with both Peyton and Luck, and it would not be a playoff contending team, let alone one capable of winning the SB.

I understand the health status issue I do and that is how I can accept his decision and not flat out hate the guy but by March 8th I believe we all knew enough to say Peyton was going to be/get healthy (maybe not to others but I feel that way and I know I may not matter but this is my opinion). I understand he cut him because of uncertainty and his contract but I feel like it had more to do with he saw a cheaper replacement for Peyton and saw an opportunity to rebuild rather than reload. I totally get it...understand his motives and theory and pray it works. I disagree. I think Andrew would have greatly benefited from working along side Peyton...training...watching tape...picking his brain...learning..and yes even being motivated by sitting. Sometimes having to earn a spot can motivate someone to be even greater than handing it to them. I just thought we could have transitioned....and not rebuilt. With Peyton I saw us as no worse than a 9-7 team and I would have got to witness greatness every sunday in Indy for the next few years and then hopefully a new greatness in a couple years when Luck took over with us still right there at the door. Didn't happen and that was Irsay's decision and I accept that. I have to say the way things have gone I have thoroughly agreed with our moves as we have gone since we took this direction. All been smart and followed the path. Trading Freeney would be the next step imo. I am on board with the Colts even if I think they made a mistake in letting Peyton go.

I am still not on board with the assumption that Peyton is back to his NFL form.

Therefore I can see very well how Irsay may think that the risk that Peyton cannot go is very real, and made his subsequent decisions accordingly.

Well I have a very very hard time believing Irsay didn't know the cap situation...what responsible owner doesn't? That said I fully understand we were going to be right at the cap and I knew the team was going to experience some cuts but I see tons of other teams restructure and resign guys and stay at the cap I really think we could have done it...if not they should have hired you lol...but clearly when they cut the polians we were going in another direction. I can't believe Peyton wouldn't have restructured if asked to keep core players like Wayne. He restructured to sign Wayne and Freeney before. Obviously we decided to take the direction they went with rebuilding Luck. It is a lot easier once you get past what you have done to your franchise players and your fan base than digging in and reworking things. Clearly with new coach and gm it made their job easier. I look at our team and think it could have been a playoff caliber team....a team that was 9-7 won the super bowl. How many 6 seeds have been in or won it? The time we actually won it we had a defense that had under-achieved until the playoffs...it just takes getting hot at the right time....perhaps Peyton buys us enough wins and enough time for new people to step up. If Peyton takes us to playoffs in 2010 with that beat up team...no collie/no clark you don't think he could get us back. Heck we should have won against the Jets if not for the crappy special teams at the end of the game. Well...anyways I think we both make good points...yours are supported by Irsay so perhaps you guys will be right...I hope so...but I would be a paying customer next year if we had Manning and with this decision I just can't justify spending that money on a rebuilding team. I hope the team is good enough soon for me to justify going to the game because those tickets are expensive and the hotel and so on. Hoping things work out now for both parties. darn I hope Peyton doesn't go to the Titans because that would make me sick...and very sick to see what happens to the Peyton and Colts fans and what it would do to those that equally love Peyton and the Colts. Praying he goes to Denver.

Well I have a very very hard time believing Irsay didn't know the cap situation...what responsible owner doesn't? That said I fully understand we were going to be right at the cap and I knew the team was going to experience some cuts but I see tons of other teams restructure and resign guys and stay at the cap I really think we could have done it...if not they should have hired you lol...but clearly when they cut the polians we were going in another direction. I can't believe Peyton wouldn't have restructured if asked to keep core players like Wayne. He restructured to sign Wayne and Freeney before. Obviously we decided to take the direction they went with rebuilding Luck. It is a lot easier once you get past what you have done to your franchise players and your fan base than digging in and reworking things. Clearly with new coach and gm it made their job easier. I look at our team and think it could have been a playoff caliber team....a team that was 9-7 won the super bowl. How many 6 seeds have been in or won it? The time we actually won it we had a defense that had under-achieved until the playoffs...it just takes getting hot at the right time....perhaps Peyton buys us enough wins and enough time for new people to step up. If Peyton takes us to playoffs in 2010 with that beat up team...no collie/no clark you don't think he could get us back. Heck we should have won against the Jets if not for the crappy special teams at the end of the game. Well...anyways I think we both make good points...yours are supported by Irsay so perhaps you guys will be right...I hope so...but I would be a paying customer next year if we had Manning and with this decision I just can't justify spending that money on a rebuilding team. I hope the team is good enough soon for me to justify going to the game because those tickets are expensive and the hotel and so on. Hoping things work out now for both parties. darn I hope Peyton doesn't go to the Titans because that would make me sick...and very sick to see what happens to the Peyton and Colts fans and what it would do to those that equally love Peyton and the Colts. Praying he goes to Denver.

I saw a tweet tonight that Adams made Peyton an offer to keep Peyton in tennessee for life. It's clear they are playing up his college ties which is smart on thier part but I would raise the question does Peyton want to be in tennessee for life? He made it pretty clear when he left the colts Indy was home and will be home. I could see Peyton saying hey yeah I'll play for the titans but he may bauch a little bit at the tennessee for life bit. I honestly don't know we will find out.

I saw a tweet tonight that Adams made Peyton an offer to keep Peyton in tennessee for life. It's clear they are playing up his college ties which is smart on thier part but I would raise the question does Peyton want to be in tennessee for life? He made it pretty clear when he left the colts Indy was home and will be home. I could see Peyton saying hey yeah I'll play for the titans but he may bauch a little bit at the tennessee for life bit. I honestly don't know we will find out.

I think he would like to play for Tennessee but would be very very worried about alienating all his supporters and fans over the last 14 years playing against and holding back potentially our success. I also think it would put a strain on him and Irsays friendship and I do think he would like to come back possibly and do something like Elway is doing. I mean if Irsay got all hot under the collar when Peyton simply stated to the public about his opinion about the house cleaning and his healing and all the while knowing what it ment for him coming back than I am sure as heck sure Irsay would be upset at Peyton playing in the same division and biggest rival. Thats my opinion. I feel Denver with their solid o-line and solid defense a long with 50 million in cap space and management and coaches ready to build the offense around him is his best fit.

So after all the backlash at the front office and owner Jim Irsay lately for letting Manning go, I have to admit I thought it was wrong. What amazes me is this. None of the analysts are paying much attention to his health, it's almost as they are trying to pass Manning off to the media and other teams as 100% healthy and ready to play football.

FWIW I still haven't seen anything saying the nerve has regenerated, I haven't seen anything that shows me that he can even return to the NFL QB level. Today I was giving it some thought, and I do remember something about Irsay saying that he would keep Manning if healthy. What if the real issue behind all of this is that Manning can't play football?

Just food for thought since everyone and their mother is talking about the pre-injured Peyton Manning going to play football at other teams, but that is not even remotely the case.

What is everyone's opinion?

Not to be an butt,but I'm over it.It's over,don't care 2 shizzles about PM anymore.He is not a Colt anymore,and he may be an enemy soon.If you are not wearing the shoe you aren't anything to me.

What are you even talking about? You ask me not to talk about Mannings arm in a thread titled about his health? Good one. Also his arm isn't 100% that's what we do know.

I was talking about Manning threads in general.

Learn to brain.

And obviously he isn't 100%, however, we do know he's improving.

Now please people, lets move on, and look forward to the draft.

Stay tuned...he is throwing for the Broncos today......we all know how Peyton prepares. If he wasnt sure of his abilities / health...the Broncos would not be landing in NC within the next few minutes to witness his talent....He will be ready, dangerous to opponents and looking to win games.....our loss!!!!!!!!!!!!

You now have everyone saying he looks good - including people outside of the Manning camp.

All I can say is save your breath because you will never get this across. :sigh: To all the posters that are telling OP to get over it that Manning is gone that can be a 2 way street get over the fact that maybe just maybe he can still throw the ball. :huthut: So just let time tell either way.

Just my opinion on this subject for what it's worth. :hmm:

Who got what wrong? Did you secretly get your hands on some video of Manning working out? If so please share.

C'mon man.

Give it a rest. He's fine and will play lights out. If he wasn't looking good it would be known at this point. He is commanding a $60-$80 million dollar multi-year deal with major market franchises as we speak. Franchises that have watched him throw 50-60 balls, knowing darn well that he's been throwing for other teams, knowing he's been throwing to prepare.

He's ready. He's fine.

I don't think Manning's out there to >>> any teams. If he's playing I'm expecting him to be a top 3 highest paid QB in the league. . If he's not able to play I expect there to be opt-out clauses within the contract.

I don't think Manning's out there to >>> any teams. If he's playing I'm expecting him to be a top 3 highest paid QB in the league. . If he's not able to play I expect there to be opt-out clauses within the contract.

All NFL contracts provide the team with the right to cut the player at any time for any reason. That's why the guaranteed bonuses make sense for the player. How much will a team risk in the guaranteed bonuses for PM?

Consider this example:

A) $100million; 5 years; upfront bonus of $10million; base salaries of $2; $12; $12; $12; $52

B) $60million; 4 years; upfront bonus of $20million; base salaries of $5; $10; $10; $15

Although contract A is extreme, it is there to serve a point. Which do you think is more attractive to the rational player?

Contract A has an AAC of $20

Contract B has an AAC of $15

C'mon man.

Give it a rest. He's fine and will play lights out. If he wasn't looking good it would be known at this point. He is commanding a $60-$80 million dollar multi-year deal with major market franchises as we speak. Franchises that have watched him throw 50-60 balls, knowing darn well that he's been throwing for other teams, knowing he's been throwing to prepare.

He's ready. He's fine.

Give what a rest? Until I see it as far as I'm concerned he is injured. No one posting anything on the internet other than a video of Manning's session will change my mind so I suggest you and everyone else to save their breath.

All NFL contracts provide the team with the right to cut the player at any time for any reason. That's why the guaranteed bonuses make sense for the player. How much will a team risk in the guaranteed bonuses for PM?

Consider this example:

A) $100million; 5 years; upfront bonus of $10million; base salaries of $2; $12; $12; $12; $52

B) $60million; 4 years; upfront bonus of $20million; base salaries of $5; $10; $10; $15

Although contract A is extreme, it is there to serve a point. Which do you think is more attractive to the rational player?

Contract A has an AAC of $20

Contract B has an AAC of $15

Ofcourse a team can drop a contract at any time but they would still owe whatever signing bonus remains. A contract with an opt-out clause like the Colts just had, will give them a safeguard if he isn't healthy after the signing nor during the season. A contract inlaid with an opt-out can provide guarantees against owing Manning enormous amounts after the first season if he can't play.

I've heard 5 year 90m with 50 guaranteed is what the Broncos were pitching. I would expect that 50m guarenteed to be something that is only guarenteed as a roster bonus if he is actually healthy and the team could opt-out of it if he isn't.

I actually expect it to be laid out very similarly as his previous contract with the Colts, with the "big" part of the contract coming in his second season (Or maybe even as early as after training camp this season).

I think that Peyton Manning is obviously healthy...he's throwing 60-90 balls EVERY DAY for the past week, and several days in front of team scouts n doctors etc and the teams are all still fighting for the chance to sign him...and the "framework" for a contract with any of the three is a FIVE year deal with lots of guaranteed money.... Do you really think he would throw with so much volume on so many consecutive days, and still want teams to come watch to make up their mind, if he wasnt looking superb?

Its funny that all of the "time to move on" and "Unless i see it, he's obviously injured" people still cant see this...he doesnt need to show video to some chat room GM to prove that he's healthy, he's doing it for REAL NFL coaches and GMs...to me, that proves a lot more than showing it to someone on this forum lol

Ofcourse a team can drop a contract at any time but they would still owe whatever signing bonus remains. A contract with an opt-out clause like the Colts just had, will give them a safeguard if he isn't healthy after the signing nor during the season. A contract inlaid with an opt-out can provide guarantees against owing Manning enormous amounts after the first season if he can't play.

I've heard 5 year 90m with 50 guaranteed is what the Broncos were pitching. I would expect that 50m guarenteed to be something that is only guarenteed as a roster bonus if he is actually healthy and the team could opt-out of it if he isn't.

I actually expect it to be laid out very similarly as his previous contract with the Colts, with the "big" part of the contract coming in his second season (Or maybe even as early as after training camp this season).

I think you are confusing the meaning of the term guaranteed money. If the money can be "not paid" due to one situation or another, it is not (in any sense) considered guaranteed.

What you are calling a roster bonus is no different than if that roster bonus were included in his base salary.

In addition, after the team pays the upfront bonus, the team will not still owe the player whatever signing bonus that remains, because nothing will be owed the player after it was paid upfront. Do not confuse cap accounting methodology with what happens in real life.

I think you are confusing the meaning of the term guaranteed money. If the money can be "not paid" due to one situation or another, it is not (in any sense) considered guaranteed.

What you are calling a roster bonus is no different than if that roster bonus were included in his base salary.

In addition, after the team pays the upfront bonus, the team will not still owe the player whatever signing bonus that remains, because nothing will be owed the player after it was paid upfront. Do not confuse cap accounting methodology with what happens in real life.

I was accurate with my terms, unless you believe that the Broncos would be willing to give him 50m guarenteed tomorrow. Like I said, I expect his contract to be similar to the Colts in that the "big" part of it will come at a specified timing after the initial contract is signed. I expect him to have a contract that will net him 30m-50m guaranteed if he can prove he's healthy, but he needs to sign within the next few weeks to get acclimated to his new team and I don't think a team is willing to guarentee him over 30m with no safeguards just yet. This is where the opt-out clauses can give a team an exit but also provide Manning with huge cash-ins if his health checks out.

I was accurate with my terms, unless you believe that the Broncos would be willing to give him 50m guarenteed tomorrow. Like I said, I expect his contract to be similar to the Colts in that the "big" part of it will come at a specified timing after the initial contract is signed. I expect him to have a contract that will net him 30m-50m guaranteed if he can prove he's healthy, but he needs to sign within the next few weeks to get acclimated to his new team and I don't think a team is willing to guarentee him over 30m with no safeguards just yet. This is where the opt-out clauses can give a team an exit but also provide Manning with huge cash-ins if his health checks out.

I think rational teams will offer contracts to PM with very little guaranteed (as compared to what was considered guaranteed in his former Colts contract).

I think rational teams will offer contracts to PM that will not obligate the team to pay any money to PM if he does not pass the team physical come September.

As discussed previously, all NFL contracts provide the team with rights to cut any player at any time without being obligated to continue paying him beyond that time.

If I were the GM of a team wanting to sign PM, I would offer this:

$70MM, over 4 years, with a $10MM upfront signing bonus, a base salary for each year of $5MM, and incentives of $0.5MM for each of the 16 games started and completed in the regular season, $1MM bonus if he passes the team physical at the beginning of each season, and $1MM bonus if he passes the team physical at the end of each season.

In addition to these incentive payments, the team will have the right to cut PM at any time during the contract period, and not owe him anything beyond what has already been paid.

In the above example, only $10MM of the deal is actually guaranteed.

Not to be an butt,but I'm over it.It's over,don't care 2 shizzles about PM anymore.He is not a Colt anymore,and he may be an enemy soon.If you are not wearing the shoe you aren't anything to me.

Although Peyton Manning is what changed my whole outlook on life when he came to visit my son in the hospital in 2005, I agree 100%, very well said!

C'mon man.

He's ready. He's fine.

He'll get the money cause he's Peyton Manning but he's not fine...