Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

99% sure Ballard trades down in the 1st round

With the lack of activity and signings in FA and the complete lack of talent on this team and needs everywhere. I think it is almost a guarantee that Ballard trades down from the 3rd spot in the draft come draft time. I would even make such a bold prediction as we will have a MINIMUM of 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. There has to be some plan to replenish the team with talent. The only way it doesn't happen is if Ballard receives no trade offers. If he does, we may have the most picks in the draft this year.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With the lack of activity and signings in FA and the complete lack of talent on this team and needs everywhere. I think it is almost a guarantee that Ballard trades down from the 3rd spot in the draft come draft time. I would even make such a bold prediction as we will have a MINIMUM of 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. There has to be some plan to replenish the team with talent. The only way it doesn't happen is if Ballard receives no trade offers. If he does, we may have the most picks in the draft this year.

Your could very well be right. But is it cheaper to pay a #3pick OR say a #11 AND additional 2nd & 3rd rounders?

And i wonder if that would be a factor in cb decision?

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Your could very well be right. But is it cheaper to pay a #3pick OR say a #11 AND additional 2nd & 3rd rounders?

And i wonder if that would be a factor in cb decision?

It's very close. At this point, that shouldn't factor into his decision with the current cap as draft capital is invaluable and worth the cheap cost. I'd be all for getting 15 picks and it shouldn't factor into the decision. These are the guys you get for cheap in their 1st contract and have a chance to get an elite player throughout their career. You have first shot and if you want them back, no one can interfere. 

The only factor in trading back Ballard should have is if the talent difference is worth it, and what point do I stop trading back and take someone on my board? The cost shouldn't come into play for draft picks.

51 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think it's far more likely that we will end up with a MAXIMUM of six picks in the first three rounds.   

The potential problem is a number of teams could want to trade down.  Giants, Colts and Browns at four may all want to move back and collect picks.   That may drive down our asking price.   Picking up three additional day 1 and 2 draft picks is easier said than done.

Could it happen?    Yes.

Is it likely to happen?   Maybe.   Perhaps.

OK to hope for.   Just not ok to count on.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it's far more likely that we will end up with a MAXIMUM if six picks in the first three rounds.   

The potential problem is a number of teams could want to trade down.  Giants, Colts and Browns at four may all want to move back and collect picks.   That may drive down our asking price.   Picking up three additional day 1 and 2 draft picks is easier said than done.

Could it happen?    Yes.

Is it likely to happen?   Maybe.   Perhaps.

OK to hope for.   Just not ok to count on.

I agree we may get slightly less value on trade offers, but I can see Ballard doing it as long as it's fair to get extra ammo. If what he is saying is true, that he wants to build through the draft, then this is a given that there is going to be a major effort to acquire extra picks. I don't know his preference order of Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson, but whomever is left of those 3 is going to greatly influence his decision on what we do at no3. I still think we trade down though. The talent level on this team makes that a need to become a competitive team again in a reasonable amount of time.

18 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree we may get slightly less value on trade offers, but I can see Ballard doing it as long as it's fair to get extra ammo. If what he is saying is true, that he wants to build through the draft, then this is a given that there is going to be a major effort to acquire extra picks. I don't know his preference order of Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson, but whomever is left of those 3 is going to greatly influence his decision on what we do at no3. I still think we trade down though. The talent level on this team makes that a need to become a competitive team again in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's a thought to consider....

Ballard might I prefer this from Buffalo...

To trade back with the Bills,  Ballard may prefer their two 1's thus year and their 1 next year in 19.

He might prefer that than Buffalo's two 1's and two 2's this year.     Ballard may prefer having two first round picks in back to back years.   12 and 22 this year...

And then next year's 1's could be our 1 which might be middle of the first...   maybe 16...    but Buffalo might be poor this year which might become a pick that might be 10-12 or so.    That might appeal more to Ballard?

Tough to tell...   I'm just thinking out loud...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's a thought to consider....

Ballard might I prefer this from Buffalo...

To trade back with the Bills,  Ballard may prefer their two 1's thus year and their 1 next year in 19.

He might prefer that than Buffalo's two 1's and two 2's this year.     Ballard may prefer having two first round picks in back to back years.   12 and 22 this year...

And then next year's 1's could be our 1 which might be middle of the first...   maybe 16...    but Buffalo might be poor this year which might become a pick that might be 10-12 or so.    That might appeal more to Ballard?

Tough to tell...   I'm just thinking out loud...

Since the Bills traded away Tyrod Taylor, and AJ McCarron will be starting his first full year next year in all likelyhood, I'd probably prefer the 1st next year tbh. There will probably be some sort of QB competition between McCarron and the new QB where both will struggle and I'd guess you are right that the pick would around 10-12 which is much better than any two 2nds. That would also set us for the future, which would also seem like a Ballard-esque move. 

Of course, you also have to take into consideration how Ballard feels about the 2nd round quality players in this years draft, and if two of them this year is worth more to him than a 1st round player next year that is less certain at this time.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Since the Bills traded away Tyrod Taylor, and AJ McCarron will be starting his first full year next year in all likelyhood, I'd probably prefer the 1st next year tbh. There will probably be some sort of QB competition between McCarron and the new QB where both will struggle and I'd guess you are right that the pick would around 10-12 which is much better than any two 2nds. That would also set us for the future, which would also seem like a Ballard-esque move. 

Of course, you also have to take into consideration how Ballard feels about the 2nd round quality players in this years draft, and if two of them this year is worth more to him than a 1st round player next year that is less certain at this time.

I think if the two 2's were higher, then we might want them.

But if I remover clearly,  I think both of them are low to mid 50's.   so I'm not sure that would be enough for Ballard.

Again...  just thinking out loud.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if the two 2's were higher, then we might want them.

But if I remover clearly,  I think both of them are low to mid 50's.   so I'm not sure that would be enough for Ballard.

Again...  just thinking out loud.

I agree. The mere possibility of obtaining a top 10 pick in 2019 will probably convince Ballard to take the extra 1st next year should we do the trade. That would get us right back on track where we need to be. 4 first round picks in 2 years is our meal ticket. If the Bills pick is very high, then that could get us back into the playoffs by 2019. Lets hope Ballard can do the deal you said. That would be a Godsend for this team.

Bills look likely as a trade partners at this point in time imo so see us planning on taking a CB and DE in Round 1.

With the lack of draft picks can see the Seahawks trading out of Round 1 with the Browns giving the Browns three first round draft picks.

I'm 100% sure.  That's his mantra build through the draft.  I think it's Buffalo and he better move very fast and do it next week.  If it's one thing we've learned about Ballard is he moves SLOW.  Other teams have smart GM's that are making draft plans now and are pretty much done with FA.  I'm worrying about the Giants and Browns trading with them.  There is absolutely no reason to be cute and wait til draft day by thinking you might get a better offer then you get blindsided and lose out.  Make that swap ASAP. 

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm 100% sure.  That's his mantra build through the draft.  I think it's Buffalo and he better move very fast and do it next week.  If it's one thing we've learned about Ballard is he moves SLOW.  Other teams have smart GM's that are making draft plans now and are pretty much done with FA.  I'm worrying about the Giants and Browns trading with them.  There is absolutely no reason to be cute and wait til draft day by thinking you might get a better offer then you get blindsided and lose out.  Make that swap ASAP. 

But why would the Bills trade for 3 before they know who is going to be there?  And it gives other teams a chance to get up to 2 and take a qb since they know the bills will.

I don't think the trade can happen till we are on the clock.

Edit: apparently I'm an *!

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bingo!!! Jets did not land any marquee FA QBs, they had to make a move. Getting close to the draft could have lowered trading price.

It was like the Chiefs trading Alex Smith to the Redskins before too much QB news happened around the league, with Case, Bradford, McCarron etc. 

Sometimes, timing is everything. You just hope he got the trade finalized on paper and faxed paperwork to the league and everything, you know, after this McDaniels fiasco.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm just going to read your posts from now on. Are you CB or JI ? Well done nostredamous!

It appears now that Ballard's statement regarding the #3 pick being available until the clock strikes 0 was a very calculated statement...much like anything Ballard says. He was letting teams know that he was taking bids...while also letting them know that you can "buy it now" for the right price.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It appears now that Ballard's statement regarding the #3 pick being available until the clock strikes 0 was a very calculated statement...much like anything Ballard says. He was letting teams know that he was taking bids...while also letting them know that you can "buy it now" for the right price.

His next statement should be the #6 pick is available AND MAKE SURE the Bills & Dolphins hear it.

If there is just 1 of those 4 qb's left at #6 it will be a very valuable resource.

11 hours ago, shastamasta said:

He was in full ebay mode.

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

His next statement should be the #6 pick is available AND MAKE SURE the Bills & Dolphins hear it.

If there is just 1 of those 4 qb's left at #6 it will be a very valuable resource.

Your wish is Ballard's command.   You asked for it and it was done on a Colts video yesterday afternoon.

The quote was picked up by the media.  Everyone knows.   And it will get reinforced in future phone calls.