Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Think I Know Exactly What's Going On In The Draft

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's not so easy.  Peyton manning / Ryan Leaf?  Andrew Luck / RG III ?  Jared Goff / Carson Wentz?   Besides differences in skill and scheme, there are personality, leadership and other  items.  Finding the 'best overall fit' is probably a more accurate description.  And then, how fast and much will they develop? It's easy for us fans using hindsight.

it wont be easy, but its what they should try to do imo

they wont get one of the good free agents in Cleveland and no one will be devastated if they get a good player that needs time to develop 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 27/01/2018 at 10:22 PM, BOTT said:

So the Browns are willing to gamble on missing out on a franchise QB so the can be certain the can get a franchise RB?  They would do this in 2018?  Not sure I buy that.

Which is the franchise qb? They are essentially equal to many analysts and can see either going before the other. You're assuming one is a guaranteed success I've the other.

47 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Which is the franchise qb? They are essentially equal to many analysts and can see either going before the other. You're assuming one is a guaranteed success I've the other.

No, but there is one guy who fits their system better than any other in the draft and they can simply take him number 1 overall and guarantee they get him......or they can f around and miss out, again, just like they did with Carson Wentz. 

Take the QB. One of these guys is gonna be very good. Figure out which one and take him.

3 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

No, but there is one guy who fits their system better than any other in the draft and they can simply take him number 1 overall and guarantee they get him......or they can f around and miss out, again, just like they did with Carson Wentz. 

Take the QB. One of these guys is gonna be very good. Figure out which one and take him.

I still think it is smarter for them to get the #1 RB and get either QB who can fit in their system.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, King Colt said:

Ford is the number one selling truck in America. I have never owned one but the fact  remains. Problem is they are  the #1 stolen truck in America followed by Chevy.

I have an F150....it's a very nice truck, will tow just about anything and never had a problem....but I know some people thing they break down easily etc. Maybe I've had good luck. I think they have sold so many more than anyone else because they are cheaper and I can't even remember the last time I've seen a service truck (city/state etc) that wasn't a Ford. They sell tons of those bare bone models to utility, city, road, construction crews I don't know if they just are good at leasing them or getting those contracts but the fact they sell so many is a big result from that...and of course with so many sold they will have more stolen too. I mean how many guys leave their keys in their work truck because they don't want them poking in their pocket all day.

13 hours ago, Narcosys said:

They may be equal to analysts but I doubt they are equal and interchangeable to NFL teams.  And yes, I'm assuming if a team is willing to select a QB at 4 they believe him to be a potential franchise QB.

I mean if Cleveland was really serious they should just over pay for Kirk Cousins (I mean he has languished in Washington whats the difference in Cleveland). At least then they would have a proven qb that could probably get that team to 6-10 or 7-9 just him alone. Then use #1 pick on Barkley....use the #4 pick on Fitzpatrick and then they have two more second round picks to add some help to that defense. Sign a proven wr like Landry or Robinson and maybe then you got yourself a 9-7 football team....at least a RELEVENT football team. Heck they would push Balitmore for the second best team in the division and who knows maybe get a wild card. You get that team in the playoffs as a GM...your going to get a big fat contract extension and the accolades every who's who in Cleveland. If I had the reigns that is what I will do. Cousins is young. Probably an easy 10 years. A much more proven commodity then either Rosen or Darnold. Heck...you could even trade the #1 pick and move back to maybe 6 and get a couple first rounders from the Jets plus both their second rounders this year. Maybe you still get Barkley at 4 and Minkah at 6...or Trumaine Edwards or an elite player still and then you have 4 second round picks left this year and a first in the next couple years from the Jets. All I'm saying if I'm Cleveland I pay 25-30 million to get Cousins....they have tons of cap space and that would free them up to get the best talent at a ton of positions of needs. I'd rather have the draft flexibility moving forward and KNOW I have a franchise qb then play rebuild in Cleveland for the next 3-4 years. When my butt is on the line and guys  are getting fired...I go for broke!

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

They may be equal to analysts but I doubt they are equal and interchangeable to NFL teams.  And yes, I'm assuming if a team is willing to select a QB at 4 they believe him to be a potential franchise QB.

I agree....they have a preference....nobody is equal and I'm looking at these qbs and they all have some intriguing things about them and they all have warts. They can make a choice. With what I've seen I go neither and sign Cousins if he hits free agency. You still have Kiser if you like the kid to back up but then you open up your whole draft to trade back and stack tons of picks or you get the best player in the draft regardless of position. (Most think Barkley) If they are willing to wait to take a qb at 4 instead of 1 then that tells me that NONE of them they love....and if that's the case you might as well get a proven commodity in Kirk Cousins....sure you'll over pay but he is a good qb...and they have the cap space to easily fit him in and by the time all these rookies last year and this contract come up in 4 years you will know if you want to keep Cousins or you can move on.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree....they have a preference....nobody is equal and I'm looking at these qbs and they all have some intriguing things about them and they all have warts. They can make a choice. With what I've seen I go neither and sign Cousins if he hits free agency. You still have Kiser if you like the kid to back up but then you open up your whole draft to trade back and stack tons of picks or you get the best player in the draft regardless of position. (Most think Barkley) If they are willing to wait to take a qb at 4 instead of 1 then that tells me that NONE of them they love....and if that's the case you might as well get a proven commodity in Kirk Cousins....sure you'll over pay but he is a good qb...and they have the cap space to easily fit him in and by the time all these rookies last year and this contract come up in 4 years you will know if you want to keep Cousins or you can move on.

Good luck luring a quality QB to Cleveland.  I would be shocked if Cousins signs with the Browns.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Good luck luring a quality QB to Cleveland.  I would be shocked if Cousins signs with the Browns.

Why? He has played in Washington his whole career....with ownership that won't give him any respect and act like they don't trust him or want him. If they throw a love fest on him...and most importantly pay him.....he will play for the Browns! Why not....just getting them in the playoffs makes him a folk hero! If you told me I'd have my blind side covered by Thomas, I could hand the ball off or check down to Barkley, and if you brought me in a wr like Jarvis Landry to add to Gordon and company....they also spent a fortune on that OL so they have a decent one....much better than Washington. Tell me you have a ton of young talent on that defense....that's a playoff caliber team in a couple years tops. I'd do it.....and then I could be credited the player that turned Cleveland around. The city would love me......."YOU LIKE THAT!!"

Where else do you go......Denver?? You have to follow up Peyton Manning and John Elway?? Yeah no thanks!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Why? He has played in Washington his whole career....with ownership that won't give him any respect and act like they don't trust him or want him. If they throw a love fest on him...and most importantly pay him.....he will play for the Browns! Why not....just getting them in the playoffs makes him a folk hero!

why?  The Browns are 1-31 the last 2 seasons.  Maybe he's up for that challenge, but there should be better options.

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

why?  The Browns are 1-31 the last 2 seasons.  Maybe he's up for that challenge, but there should be better options.

If you add a qb....and someone like Barkley to that offense....and one free agent wr that offense is ready to explode. They have a really good OL. They had Garrett in the draft last year...add Fitzpatrick to that secondary and a couple second rounders that they have this year....they easily leap frog Cincy and probably Baltimore too.....the bar is much much lower in Cleveland....just be the guy that leads them to the playoffs and every man child in Cleveland will be wearing your jersey. They don't even need to win a SB at this point. Break the curse....lead them to respectability and then other free agents will follow. Dorsey is a good GM...he will get the job done. Look at that division....does anyone scare you?? Even Pittsburgh is a bad Rothlisburger season away from retirement....then the best qb you face is Joe Flacco???? "I LIKE THAT!!!"

Cleveland is on the verge of pulling a Jacksonville in a couple years...get on the bandwagon my friend....they just need Kirk!

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

So then they can get Barkley 1 and their franchise at 4

43 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What?  Just the option of turning the Browns around would make him a God like figure in Cleveland.  The Browns being 1-31 the last 2 seasons has zero to do with it.  Like it of not the Browns are going to be a team on the up rise with Dorsey as their GM. They also hold all the cards in this years draft. Maybe not this upcoming season waiting to see if Hue Jackson is the answer but they are going to make some noise.

34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What?  Just the option of turning the Browns around would make him a God like figure in Cleveland.  The Browns being 1-31 the last 2 seasons has zero to do with it.  Like it of not the Browns are going to be a team on the up rise with Dorsey as their GM. They also hold all the cards in this years draft. Maybe not this upcoming season waiting to see if Hue Jackson is the answer but they are going to make some noise.

Yes, it's every child's dream to be a god like figure in Cleveland.

i like the Dorsey hire, but that doesn't guarantee anything.  Considering quarterbacks are judged on winning and losing, I'm guessing he takes a surer thing than Cleveland.

23 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yes, it's every child's dream to be a god like figure in Cleveland.

i like the Dorsey hire, but that doesn't guarantee anything.  Considering quarterbacks are judged on winning and losing, I'm guessing he takes a surer thing than Cleveland.

If that's the case does the Ballard hire guarantee anything?

I think the days of the Browns getting dissed are soon coming to an end.

4 might be high enough to get the QB Dorsey wants, and Barkley first.  Taking a QB in round 1 is risky {see below!!} But if you don't have one, you have to try. And keep trying.

After taking a look, it is apparent most all good NFL QB's are taken in round 1.  And those QB's taken in round one are not guaranteed to be good.

NFL QB's drafted in round 1 and round 2 since 1999 (Franchise QB type results, not elite necessary)

ROUND 1 QB selections-

Undecided or
Hits           Tweener       Misses

Donovan McNabb
                            Tim Couch
                            Akili Smith
Dante Culpepper
                            Cade McNown
Chad Pennington
     Michael vick*
                            David Carr
                            Joey Harrington
                            Patrick Ramsey
                            Rex Grossman
                            Byron leftwich
                            Kyle Boller
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning                 
                            J.P. Losman      
Phillip Rivers              
                            Jason Campbell
Ben Roethlisberger        
                          Vince Young
Alex Smith                  
                            Matt Leinart
                          Jay Cutler
                            Jamarcus Russell
                            Brady Quinn
Matt Ryan
              Joe Flacco
Matthew Stafford
                         Mark Sanchez
                           Josh Freeman
                         Sam Bradford
                           Tim Tebow
Cam Newton
                           Jake Locker
                           Blaine Gabbert             
                           Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton
Andrew Luck
                           RG III
                           Ryan Tannehill
                           Brandon Weeden
                           E.J. Emauel
                           Blake Bortles
                           Johnny Manziel

**Teddy Bridgewater**
             Jameis winston*
             Marcus Mariota*
             Jared Goff*
                           Paxton Lynch
Carson Wentz

ROUND 2 QB selections-

Shaun King
Drew Brees
                           Kellen Clemens
                           Tavaris Jackson
                           Kevin Kolb
                           John Beck
                           Drew Stanton
                           Brian Bohm
                           Chad Henne
                           Jimmy Claussen
Colin Kaepernick
                           Brock Osweiler
                           Geno Smith
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
                           Christian Hackenberg

And more stats on round 1 QB's since 1999.  A look back at the 45 quarterbacks chosen in the first round over the previous 16 drafts prior to 2017 shows-

17 of these quarterbacks (38 percent) have won a playoff game.
    16 of the 45 (36 percent or just over 1/3) have winning records as starters during the regular season.
    The career passer ratings for only a half-dozen of these quarterbacks is high enough to be ranked in the top half of the league last year.  

The Browns themselves have taken four quarterbacks in the first round since returning to the league in 1999. No. 1 overall pick Tim Couch and lower first-round picks Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel have a combined record of 31-69 as NFL starters. Dorsey needs to take one at #4, if he thinks 'his guy' will still be there. Otherwise skip Barkley and try to get his Franchise QB at /#1 and hope it works out. Or lure a vet FA QB and get one in draft at #4 or later. (Falk, Mayfield etc...). Interesting draft season ... again.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

other teams will be interested in him

he could go to denver or jacksonville instead

Cleveland probably can afford to offer him more. Denver and Jacksonville have more mouths to feed right now. If I'm Dorsey I pay to make it happen. He can go where he pleases your right but I wouldn't take Cleveland off the table so quickly. I think they are setting up for a home run this offseason. Let's just wait and see. A lot can happen in the coming months. All I'm saying is plan A for Cleveland to me should include getting Cousins under cente if I was running things.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

lmao

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

The rumor out of Cleveland is they’ll try to get Alex Smith and draft a QB first overall. 

Add in Nick Foles, whoever the two to leave Minnesota are gonna be, Bortles, Eli, and Glennon....the 2018 QB drama could be very interesting. 

The only way Eli leaves the Giants is if he is traded. They sure ain't cutting him and take a 12 million cap hit. He is also still under contract for two more years.

They may draft a QB but the owner and the head coach has already said Eli was going to be the starter next season.