Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steelers Ryan Shazier my not play again (BR)

BR-549

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

That's too bad. He's a very good LB.

I hope he comes out of it O.K.

Or, in the spirit of another thread started earlier today, "what a wuss".

Yeah, you hate to see anyone hurt but in this case it can become life changing, if it isn't already.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....   playing again feels like a long-shot....

Right now I'll be thrilled if he gets up and stands tall and can walk without assistance for the rest of his life.   That would be great.

I agree with all 

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah, you hate to see anyone hurt but in this case it can become life changing, if it isn't already.

It has definitely become life-changing. Ian Rapoport said Ryan Shazier can't even think about football for months now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889243/article/ryan-shazier-undergoes-spinal-stabilization-surgery

Just now, JaguarsWoman said:

It has definitely become life-changing. Ian Rapoport said Ryan Shazier can't even think about football for months now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889243/article/ryan-shazier-undergoes-spinal-stabilization-surgery

Well when you are talking about the spine, surgery and stabilization all in the same sentence, things (life as you are used to) are likely to change....

I hope he is able to recover (as far as playing), but as of now I don't have much confidence that will happen.

I wish him well.

Just now, BR-549 said:

Well when you are talking about the spine, surgery and stabilization all in the same sentence, things (life as you are used to) are likely to change....

I hope he is able to recover (as far as playing), but as of now I don't have much confidence that will happen.

I wish him well.

I doubt he ever plays again because a spine injury is really awful and is career ending. That is too bad, hopefully he can just lead a normal life.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt he ever plays again because a spine injury is really awful and is career ending. That is too bad, hopefully he can just lead a normal life.

Yeah, its sad.  Spine injury and football really don't compliment each other much.

Glad he didn't paralyze the guy he hit. Ryan Shazir had a reputation as a dirty player.  When you tackle the way Shazir tackles, someone is getting hurt.

https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2305363

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/09/10/ryan-shazier-better-be-suspended-fined-for-this-cheap-shot-on-deshone-kizer/

It's a terrible injury.  But if someone is going to make a habit of tackling that way, it's bound to happen.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....   playing again feels like a long-shot....

Right now I'll be thrilled if he gets up and stands tall and can walk without assistance for the rest of his life.   That would be great.

Ya agreed wish shazier a speedy recovery and hope he comes out of it ok.

39 minutes ago, Roger said:

Glad he didn't paralyze the guy he hit. Ryan Shazir had a reputation as a dirty player.  When you tackle the way Shazir tackles, someone is getting hurt.

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/09/10/ryan-shazier-better-be-suspended-fined-for-this-cheap-shot-on-deshone-kizer/

It's a terrible injury.  But if someone is going to make a habit of tackling that way, it's bound to happen.

Those two hits are pretty blatant.  Looks like tackling the player was not the first thing on his mind.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Those two hits are pretty blatant.  Looks like tackling the player was not the first thing on his mind.

The hit he was injured on, he drove his helmet into the other players hip.  Better for Shazier to get hurt than the player he targeted, IMO.

Just now, Roger said:

The hit he was injured on, he drove his helmet into the other players hip.  Better for Shazier to get hurt than the player he targeted, IMO.

Well, I don't wish injury on anyone.  I don't think he was trying to injure the player by hitting him in the hip.  Shazier must have gotten used to spearing as a method of tackling.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What was wrong with Shazier's hit, it wasn't low at the knees or high near the head? Looked like a good clean hit to me.

He spears, leading with the helmet.  Look at some of his controversial hits and you'll see it was a habit.  This last hit, he got hurt.  My point being, it was bound to happen. 

30 minutes ago, Roger said:

He spears, leading with the helmet.  Look at some of his controversial hits and you'll see it was a habit.  This last hit, he got hurt.  My point being, it was bound to happen. 

He just ran across the field and dove and when you dive it is head first. I have seen much dirtier hits than that. The hit he made happens every Sunday by many players. He wasn't even flagged for it. Some of his other hits may have been dirty in the past but this one wasn't.  A lot of people say it wasn't.

21 hours ago, Roger said:

Glad he didn't paralyze the guy he hit. Ryan Shazir had a reputation as a dirty player.  When you tackle the way Shazier tackles, someone is getting hurt.

Ryan Shazier hit the other guy's leg. That is not going to cause That is not going to cause paralysis for the Bengal he hit. Unfortunately he paralyzed himself by using a terrible tackling method with his head down.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What was wrong with Shazier's hit, it wasn't low at the knees or high near the head? Looked like a good clean hit to me.

Two things were wrong with it?

1. He rammed his helmet into the opponent.

2. He put his head down, which is a danger to himself.

His helmet hit the other player's thigh BTW.

1 minute ago, JaguarsWoman said:

2. He put his head down, which is the same way Dennis Byrd ended his career as a quadriplegic

I have seen much dirtier hits than he had and by the way look at the replay again, his hit was to the side stomach of the player.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have seen much dirtier hits than he had and by the way look at the replay again, his hit was to the side stomach of the player.

I did not think it was dirty. He is not that kind of player on a regular basis. Sean McDonough commented on his head's position, calling it "a big no-no." It was how Dennis Byrd ended his career as a quadriplegic.

Just now, JaguarsWoman said:

I did not think it was dirty. He is not that kind of player on a regular basis. Sean McDonough commented on his head's position, calling it "a big no-no." It was how Dennis Byrd ended his career as a quadriplegic.

I am not disagreeing with that because of course that can get you injured. He was trying to make a play and stuff happens unfortunately when you are trying to tackle someone. It was far from dirty was my main point and only point.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

2. He put his head down, which is a danger to himself.

Watch the video - to me, looks like it hit above the hip. 

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Ryan Shazier hit the other guy's leg. That is not going to cause That is not going to cause paralysis for the Bengal he hit. Unfortunately he paralyzed himself by using a terrible tackling method with his head down.

Ryan Shazier could have paralyzed many players.  This time, he led with his head and he got hurt.  Had the other player's spine been in line, do you think Shazier would have changed the way he hit?  Not a chance.  He's a dirty player. 

3 hours ago, Roger said:

Ryan Shazier could have paralyzed many players.  This time, he led with his head and he got hurt.  Had the other player's spine been in line, do you think Shazier would have changed the way he hit?  Not a chance.  He's a dirty player. 

Has Ryan Shazier ever been fined for a "dirty" hit or tackle? Have any players outside Cincinnati called him dirty?

7 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Has Ryan Shazier ever been fined for a "dirty" hit or tackle? Have any players outside Cincinnati called him dirty?

Yes and yes.  Look at the dirty hit on Kizer in the video I posted above. He was fined for that.  Lowered his head and aimed it at Kizer. Just like he did when he injured himself. Fined $25k for that dirty hit on a sliding QB.

It's unfortunate, but what Shazier did to himself will be used as the example of what NOT to do.

From now on, whenever coaches are teaching tackling, like in that Heads-Up program, they will point to Shazier to show young players what they can do to themselves when they put their head down while tackling.

Being a middle linebacker for the Steelers, he'd probably end up being a good spokesman for this in the future.

Did anyone see NBC's coverage of tributes at and around the stadium? Before the game, two players held up his #50 jersey at medfield. There were even messages to pray for Ryan Shazier outside Heinz Field. Then there was what the coaches and players wore and how James Harrison warmed up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000891227/article/tomlin-we-had-ryan-shazier-on-facetime-after-win

I figured they were going to come back after Cameron Heyward snatched everybody up and started rallying the troops.  All of them wanted to win the game for Shazier.  We don't have a single guy on this 2017 Colts team like Heyward.  Guys who snatch everybody up and tell them to get their heads out of their butts and focus.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, Roger said:

On 12/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, DougDew said:

Well, I don't wish injury on anyone.  I don't think he was trying to injure the player by hitting him in the hip.  Shazier must have gotten used to spearing as a method of tackling.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:19 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On 12/7/2017 at 8:33 PM, Roger said:

On 12/7/2017 at 9:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He just ran across the field and dove and when you dive it is head first. I have seen much dirtier hits than that. The hit he made happens every Sunday by many players. He wasn't even flagged for it. Some of his other hits may have been dirty in the past but this one wasn't.  A lot of people say it wasn't.

The league made it a penalty to lead with the ‘crown’ of the helmet to protect both players. The initiating player is just as much as risk (illustrated by this injury) as the receiving player.  Because so many plays at full speed seem bang-bang, refs are reluctant to flag at times. Other times the defender sets a low target, but other players lowers in protect mode last second.  It is unfortunate, but also a flag/penalty when heads collide (unless receiver has been running some 5 yards or so and is completely established as a runner)  But the league office in NY reviews all footage in slo-mo and determine if rules were broken.  If so, fines follow even if the play was not flagged in game.

My personal view is it is aggressive play, and on/over the line but not necessarily dirty.  If consistent and willful intent to injure is apparent, then that I consider dirty.

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The league made it a penalty to lead with the ‘crown’ of the helmet to protect both players. The initiating player is just as much as risk (illustrated by this injury) as the receiving player.  Because so many plays at full speed seem bang-bang, refs are reluctant to flag at times. Other times the defender sets a low target, but other players lowers in protect mode last second.  It is unfortunate, but also a flag/penalty when heads collide (unless receiver has been running some 5 yards or so and is completely established as a runner)  But the league office in NY reviews all footage in slo-mo and determine if rules were broken.  If so, fines follow even if the play was not flagged in game.

My personal view is it is aggressive play, and on/over the line but not necessarily dirty.  If consistent and willful intent to injure is apparent, then that I consider dirty.

Here are a couple typical Shazier hits.  I call both dirty.

You're talking about hypotheticals when the hard evidence is in.  Unless you think both of those hits were accidents?

There are plenty of You Tube videos with scores of NFL hits like that and worse.  All of them illegal, most maybe on the border of dirty and fineable.  It's hard to determine they are trying to injure with intent (on purpose) or just trying to separate the ball and player, though.  I feel launching up and then spearing is more intent than lowering helmet and catching facemask/neck.  But flags on all of them. Fines on some of them. James Harrison alone had more fearsome hits than these Shazier hits.