rockywoj

Painting over Unitas and Manning

Recommended Posts

From an article at the Indy Star with Patty Mac ...

 

McAfee on how the Colts got rid of part of Peyton Manning's memory from the Colts complex:

"Basically, everything got sucked out of that place whenever the new regime came in. They painted over this wall that had Unitas on it, Peyton on it, the Super Bowl trophy. They painted over it, made it gray. It was the ‘Indianapolis Grigsons' immediately. The building suffered for it ... it became a place that I hated going to work.” “

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/11/22/pat-mcafee-edibles-flight-changed-his-colts-career-and-how-ryan-grigson-erased-part-peyton-manning-f/890241001/

 

Wow, as an owner, I would NEVER allow the painting over of historic Colts success.  At least not unless a new mural with greats was going to replace it.  

 

I’ve done the tour of Lambeau and the Packer greats are celebrated.  When you have a rich history, you want to celebrate it and put it out there in the face of the current team to show them what they need to aspire to, to live up to, to motivate them to maybe have their faces on the wall some day.  

 

The more I read of Grigson, whom I really gave the benefit of the doubt to, the more it seems he really, REALLY mismanaged the organization.   Now to be fair about the article, though, it is assuming that it was Grigson’s decision to paint over Unitas & Manning.  Good reporting would now go verify that, with appropriate powers that be within the Colts’ organization. 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grigson was outstanding his 1st season here. He drafted Luck over RG3 which we knew was going to happen and he got a huge steal in the Draft when he drafted TY Hilton in the Round he did. He also traded for Vontae Davis. After that season his Drafts were Poor and the Trent Richardson trade was awful. It was also said he treated the players like garbage, that is coming from Pat and Reggie. Don't know if Grigs got a big head or his ego inflated after 2012 but he was definitely a huge problem from 2013-2016 and sounds like he was a jerk to be around. That is not the type of culture you want to be around. I like Ballard better already just because of his attitude alone. I thought Ballard's 1st Draft at least deserved a B at worse as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Grigson was outstanding his 1st season here. He drafted Luck over RG3 which we knew was going to happen and he got a huge steal in the Draft when he drafted TY Hilton in the Round he did. He also traded for Vontae Davis. After that season his Drafts were Poor and the Trent Richardson trade was awful. It was also said he treated the players like garbage, that is coming from Pat and Reggie. Don't know if Grigs got a big head or his ego inflated after 2012 but he was definitely a huge problem from 2013-2016 and sounds like he was a jerk to be around. That is not the type of culture you want to be around. I like Ballard better already just because of his attitude alone. I thought Ballard's 1st Draft at least deserved a B at worse as well.

To follow this up I love the Hooker and Mack picks by Ballard. Mack is going to be Good next season if Andrew gets back, love his speed. From every indication Hooker should get back to 100% healthy too. He was playing Good before he got injured.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes players need to forget the past. Belichick did something similar at Gillette Stadium by removing photos of great players/plays.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad, but not at all surprising.   

 

However,  Grigson is long gone and Peyton, well......large_082.JPG.fb7d87fed665c03ec6df04113f7f7fb3.JPG

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow this up I love the Hooker and Mack picks by Ballard. Mack is going to be Good next season if Andrew gets back, love his speed. From every indication Hooker should get back to 100% healthy too. He was playing Good before he got injured.

I would add Hairston to that list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Peyton won one SB against the Bears....the Bears.

Bears D was smoking dang near every offense they played that season. So tired of hearing “but it was the Bears” all over the place. The Bears must of had something going that year, considering they were participating in the Super Bowl. While all of the supposed better NFC teams were sitting at home watching the Bears play us. If what I quoted was misunderstood sarcasm my apologies. Just tired of that line of thinking. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColtsWin said:

Bears D was smoking dang near every offense they played that season. So tired of hearing “but it was the Bears” all over the place. The Bears must of had something going that year, considering they were participating in the Super Bowl. While all of the supposed better NFC teams were sitting at home watching the Bears play us. If what I quoted was misunderstood sarcasm my apologies. Just tired of that line of thinking. 

Yeah and Rex Grossman. Who? Rex Grossman. Who's he? I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Peyton won one SB against the Bears....the Bears.

Wow... haven't heard this one before. :facepalm:   haha Let it go....

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Yeah and Rex Grossman. Who? Rex Grossman. Who's he? I don't know.

One might say, Yeah and Jim McMahon,  Brash punk devoid of much real talent.  But yet, you have the legendary 85 Bears.  

 

If the Urlacher Bears win that game, they would be mentioned in nearly the same breath as the 85 Bears. 

 

In 2005, Urlacher won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year after playing for a defensive team that allowed the fewest points per game, and created the most turnovers in the National Football Conference.[30] Urlacher himself recorded at least 10 tackles in six consecutive games, while finishing the season with a team high 121 tackles.[31] He was also credited as one of the team's leaders, whose audibles and experience helped develop several younger teammates.[32] Urlacher led the Bears to an 11-5 record, marking their best finish since 2001. Urlacher played his second career playoff game against the Carolina Panthers on January 15, 2006. He recorded seven tackles and one interception in a 29–21 loss.[21]Urlacher was also selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl, but declined the position on account of an injury.[33]

The team continued their resurgence into the 2006 season, finishing with a record of 13–3. During the season, Urlacher had one of the best performances of his professional career against the Arizona Cardinals.[34] He helped the Bears overcome a 20-point deficit by recording 19 tackles and a forced fumble that was returned for a touchdown.[34] Teammate Devin Hester commented on Urlacher's performance, stating, "We watched the film and everybody was saying that he just turned into the Incredible Hulk the last four minutes of the game, just killing people and running over and tackling whoever had the ball."[35] The Bears won the NFC Championship against the New Orleans Saints, 39–14, but lost Super Bowl XLIto the Indianapolis Colts, 29–17.”

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The QB playing in the super bowl. Not saying Grossman was anywhere near elite, but he sure enough was the QB who started the entire season for the Bears. Not to mention the Bears were pretty good at running the ball, monster defense, and were well coached by Love Smith. Don’t sit there and act like we were just pitted against Grossman in that game. And if you don’t know Who Grossman is, you didn’t watch much football then. SMH

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Yeah and Rex Grossman. Who? Rex Grossman. Who's he? I don't know.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to rehash stuff...especially when I have more important things to do, like cook Thanksgiving dinner.

 

Just going to say one thing here before I sign off for the day.  For those who question Peyton's contributions, look at the Colts and Broncos records with him compared the the records without him.  

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I hate to rehash stuff...especially when I have more important things to do, like cook Thanksgiving dinner.

 

Just going to say one thing here before I sign off for the day.  For those who question Peyton's contributions, look at the Colts and Broncos records with him compared the the records without him.  

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It’s unfathomable to me to think that any football fan can in anyway question Peyton Manning’s contributions.  

 

Happy US Thanksgiving, Gramz.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny U’s ghost wielded the paintbrush. He wanted nothing to do with the Irsay/Mayflower Moving Colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I hate to rehash stuff...especially when I have more important things to do, like cook Thanksgiving dinner.

 

Just going to say one thing here before I sign off for the day.  For those who question Peyton's contributions, look at the Colts and Broncos records with him compared the the records without him.  

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you also Gramz :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I hate to rehash stuff...especially when I have more important things to do, like cook Thanksgiving dinner.

 

Just going to say one thing here before I sign off for the day.  For those who question Peyton's contributions, look at the Colts and Broncos records with him compared the the records without him.  

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It’s more complicated than you let on. Peyton was a great qb most of his career but the Broncos won the Super Bowl in spite of him. He had trouble beating out frickin Brock Osweiler that last year. Thank heavens he retired.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Yeah and Rex Grossman. Who? Rex Grossman. Who's he? I don't know.

Well Rex was good enough to beat the Seahawks and the Saints in the playoffs on the way to the super bowl. In 2006 he threw a 54.6% for 3193 yards. He also threw 23 TDs.

It is chic to rag on Grossman but the Colts may not have such a good time had it not been raining and Manning was more prepared for that than Grossman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Rex was good enough to beat the Seahawks and the Saints in the playoffs on the way to the super bowl. In 2006 he threw a 54.6% for 3193 yards. He also threw 23 TDs.

It is chic to rag on Grossman but the Colts may not have such a good time had it not been raining and Manning was more prepared for that than Grossman.

How did he do against a real QB- Drew Breese?!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

One might say, Yeah and Jim McMahon,  Brash punk devoid of much real talent.  But yet, you have the legendary 85 Bears.  

 

If the Urlacher Bears win that game, they would be mentioned in nearly the same breath as the 85 Bears. 

 

In 2005, Urlacher won the NFL Defensive Player of the Year after playing for a defensive team that allowed the fewest points per game, and created the most turnovers in the National Football Conference.[30] Urlacher himself recorded at least 10 tackles in six consecutive games, while finishing the season with a team high 121 tackles.[31] He was also credited as one of the team's leaders, whose audibles and experience helped develop several younger teammates.[32] Urlacher led the Bears to an 11-5 record, marking their best finish since 2001. Urlacher played his second career playoff game against the Carolina Panthers on January 15, 2006. He recorded seven tackles and one interception in a 29–21 loss.[21]Urlacher was also selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl, but declined the position on account of an injury.[33]

The team continued their resurgence into the 2006 season, finishing with a record of 13–3. During the season, Urlacher had one of the best performances of his professional career against the Arizona Cardinals.[34] He helped the Bears overcome a 20-point deficit by recording 19 tackles and a forced fumble that was returned for a touchdown.[34] Teammate Devin Hester commented on Urlacher's performance, stating, "We watched the film and everybody was saying that he just turned into the Incredible Hulk the last four minutes of the game, just killing people and running over and tackling whoever had the ball."[35] The Bears won the NFC Championship against the New Orleans Saints, 39–14, but lost Super Bowl XLIto the Indianapolis Colts, 29–17.”

QFT, THIS^ is called the reality of what it was to play against that Bears team. Not to mention that they had Hester on special teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

QFT, THIS^ is called the reality of what it was to play against that Bears team. Not to mention that they had Hester on special teams. 

Who, to the horror of all Colts fans, returned the opening kickoff for a TD.

 

actually, I remember very vividly at the time thinking, for the Colts to win, their horrible KO coverage team needs to step up and Manning cannot throw any interceptions.   Game starts, Hester returns the KO for a touchdown ... and in short order, Manning throws a pic.  I thought, oh no, we’re going to be in for a long day.   Then Reggie Wayne came to the rescue, the defense stepped up, and Dominic Rhodes had a SB MVP worthy performance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Johnny U’s ghost wielded the paintbrush. He wanted nothing to do with the Irsay/Mayflower Moving Colts.

That was his loss in getting what would have been a hero's welcome here in Indy. I am sorry he wouldn't accept the facts of why the Colts moved to Indy in the first place. Being bitter over something you have no control over is useless.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dungy made the call at the last second to kick to Hester after deciding not to on the initial kickoff. He laughingly calls it one of the silliest calls he ever made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How did he do against a real QB- Drew Breese?!!! 

Qbs play against defenses not other qbs.    How did drew brees do in the playoffs in 06?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That was his loss in getting what would have been a hero's welcome here in Indy. I am sorry he wouldn't accept the facts of why the Colts moved to Indy in the first place. Being bitter over something you have no control over is useless.

Agree. Weren’t there some Baltimore Colts greats there at Peyton’s statue unveiling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How did he do against a real QB- Drew Breese?!!! 

Rex was good enough to take the Bears to a 13-3 record. Down play him all you want but in 2006 he got the job done.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here recall the days when it was argued who was the better QB, Manning or Brady? That question has faded away for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Anyone here recall the days when it was argued who was the better QB, Manning or Brady? That question has faded away for some reason.

 Not really.    Give manning Belichick and he would have done the same.  Belichick is the magic behind the patriots

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one could draft either QB, retrospectively, I take Manning over Brady every time.  That being said, this debate is sooooo yesterday.  If you want to rehash it, just call up one of the million such debate threads from yesteryears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Qbs play against defenses not other qbs.    How did drew brees do in the playoffs in 06?

QB are compared to each other and play against each other every day of their careers you know like Brady versus Manning. How did that turn out? Saints are headed to another SB this year. Whose is their QB?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

 Not really.    Give manning Belichick and he would have done the same.  Belichick is the magic behind the patriots

Dreaming is for sleeping

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

If one could draft either QB, retrospectively, I take Manning over Brady every time.  That being said, this debate is sooooo yesterday.  If you want to rehash it, just call up one of the million such debate threads from yesteryears

Brady settled that discussion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you even a Colts fan? Sure don’t come across as one. And as far as Manning/Brady goes. Peyton never had Hoodie for his whole career, making life easier for him. Dungy helped no doubt. Everyone from Irsay down rode on Peyton’s back to get to that Super Bowl. He carried this team. Hoodie carries the Patriots. Ask Kraft who’s more important Brady or Hoodie. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Are you even a Colts fan? Sure don’t come across as one. And as far as Manning/Brady goes. Peyton never had Hoodie for his whole career, making life easier for him. Dungy helped no doubt. Everyone from Irsay down rode on Peyton’s back to get to that Super Bowl. He carried this team. Hoodie carries the Patriots. Ask Kraft who’s more important Brady or Hoodie. 

Belichick threw for how many yards in that last Super Bowl? If Manning had a Super Bowl like that, would you ascribe it to his coach?

 

At some point, it stopped being a legit argument and became the sour grapes of Colts fans.  Brady's greatness does not diminish Peyton Manning's greatness.  Manning was one of the greatest to ever play. But nobody except Colts fans thinks of him as The Greatest.  The most recent ranking I saw had him at 5th.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Yeah and Rex Grossman. Who? Rex Grossman. Who's he? I don't know.

Peyton Manning didn't beat Rex Grossman.  Peyton Manning and the Colts beat a team with an exceptional running game when everyone said the defense was soft (KC), a great defense when everyone said Peyton chokes in the playoffs (Baltimore), the Patriots who everyone said we couldn't beat, and an outdoors team with a strong defense playing in the elements (Chicago).  The Colts beat every team that all the experts and analysts said they couldn't beat.  It's silly to suggest that Super Bowl victory means less simply because of who the opposing QB was.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Anyone here recall the days when it was argued who was the better QB, Manning or Brady? That question has faded away for some reason.

Yep.  Peyton over Brady

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.