Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA CB Justin Gilbert

Apparently he was the # 8 overall pick n 2014, but he has now been suspended for 4 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000811572/article/freeagent-cb-justin-gilbert-suspended-four-games

But I wonder, is he just another guy with incredible physical talent that flames out upon hitting the NFL?  Or could he, with all this immense talent and now the 4-game suspension wake-up call, actually still be a worthy reclamation project with little down side and huge upside?

His draft profile from 2014 ... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/justin-gilbert?id=2543473

"DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top 15)

BOTTOM LINE

The most talented cover corner in this year's draft class, Gilbert has size, speed and flexibility to blanket receivers at the next level. Also brings impact ability as a kick returner. Is capable of stepping into the starting lineup from Day 1 and playing at a high level if he adheres to a professional approach to the craft. Could stand to improve in run support."

Given the physical talent at play, if I were a power to be within the Colts organization, I'd not be shy to make a few inquiries to investigate whether giving him a last shot at redemption (at CB, a position of need) might be a worthwhile, inexpensive risk to take.

Thoughts?

I don't think Gilbert is very good. If you look at his combine numbers forget the 40 time look at 4.39 short shuttle and 7.13 3 cone. He doesn't change direction well lacks the agility to play in space. You want CB's to run short shuttle under 4.20 and sub 7.0 3 cone. Gilbert doesn't come close. FYI Wilson ran 4.03 and 6.86

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Apparently he was the # 8 overall pick n 2014, but he has now been suspended for 4 games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000811572/article/freeagent-cb-justin-gilbert-suspended-four-games

But I wonder, is he just another guy with incredible physical talent that flames out upon hitting the NFL?  Or could he, with all this immense talent and now the 4-game suspension wake-up call, actually still be a worthy reclamation project with little down side and huge upside?

His draft profile from 2014 ... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/justin-gilbert?id=2543473

"DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top 15)

BOTTOM LINE

The most talented cover corner in this year's draft class, Gilbert has size, speed and flexibility to blanket receivers at the next level. Also brings impact ability as a kick returner. Is capable of stepping into the starting lineup from Day 1 and playing at a high level if he adheres to a professional approach to the craft. Could stand to improve in run support."

Given the physical talent at play, if I were a power to be within the Colts organization, I'd not be shy to make a few inquiries to investigate whether giving him a last shot at redemption (at CB, a position of need) might be a worthwhile, inexpensive risk to take.

Thoughts?

No he is awful.

On 5/26/2017 at 9:34 AM, rockywoj said:

"DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top 15)

BOTTOM LINE

Thoughts?

Any good GM is going to feel the same way as you, and do their due diligence.  This might be the perfect fit for him with a coach like Chuck and a veteran like Vontae.  But if the team that drafted him so high didn't want to give him another chance...

If this was last year, I'd be chomping at the bit to pick him up.  But this year, I think we're good without him.

Now if Vontae gets seriously injured in the first 4 games (knock on wood) and he's a last option...  :dunno:

It's only a 4 game suspension and he's a free agent and hasn't been picked up yet. 

Sure it's possible but I would say there are reasons that the NFL has pretty much written him off and they arn't all just due to his suspension and drug use.  His actual play on the field has likely also been marginal.  

Substance abuse suspensions are not levied or one time violations, but multiple.

For every player suspended under the policy, five to 10 others anonymously enter and exit the intervention program. The club itself is not made aware of a player’s positive test until he is suspended, which only occurs after multiple violations. Team physicians, however, have that information in order to prevent cross-medication issues.

Marijuana is handled differently from all other substances. The discipline procedures for marijuana abusers are less strict than violations for all other drugs. Clause 1.5.2(c) states that an additional offense is allowed before suspensions are leveled in cases involving marijuana. And up until that point, fines for positive tests are less steep.

Players suspended for substance abuse are habitual offenders, and the punishment ramp has just begun, getting steeper with every subsequent failed test. Until banishment (not reinstated unless an appeal to the commissioner is made and his review shows the player making great strides in overcoming substance abuse/addiction scenarios.

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/4/2017 at 11:32 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Players suspended for substance abuse are habitual offenders, and the punishment ramp has just begun, getting steeper with every subsequent failed test. Until banishment (not reinstated unless an appeal to the commissioner is made and his review shows the player making great strides in overcoming substance abuse/addiction scenarios).

And... right on cue.  Justin Gilbert is banished for 1 year minimum.  Must apply for reinstatement to play in 2018 after yet another failed drug test, right after failing one and getting 4 game suspension.  I think he just smoked his last contract...

• 1 month later...