Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 DLs on roster now...who will be cut?

rock8591

The only thing I can tell you all is that the player names and contracts do not matter, Ballard will keep the best performing 6 or 7 D linemen and the other two will be gone, even if the other two are Hankins & Langford.

I'm really digging the way Ballard runs the ship, it's perform or the door. KC cut their 3rd round pick last season because the 6th rounder out-performed him in TC.

All bets are off, they will be fielding the best team possible,

Gone are those days where Grigson forces Pagano to play Samson Satele over AQ Shipley.

10 hours ago, IinD said:

Stud? C'mon man...serviceable, yes, but he's not untouchable.

He's not tied to this regime. Knee injuries after age 30 are usually a death sentence in the nfl.

I'm not saying he's gone, but to say he's in and Parry is gone as a definite is wrong.

Parry could be valuable depth, he should never have been relied on like he has. That's not his fault being overplayed.

Lol. Langford was FAR better than just serviceable in 2015. 

• 1 month later...

At this point, I'd say Hunt and Woods are likely to be cut.

They have 2 big things going against them:

1. Oldest DL players on the team. That is ruling out Langford for now though.

2. Neither have played in starter-type roles. Woods has been a career backup ala RJF, Hunt has been a career special teamser. McGill is younger and has more potential. Parry has also started before, also is younger and has more potential.

I have a feeling the NFL will suspend Parry at some point, making the decision for us.

Or there will be an injury to one of the guys on the bubble, again making the decision for us.

If there are no suspensions or injuries... I have no idea, depends on how they all perform in TC.

On 4/30/2017 at 1:42 AM, rock8591 said:

Grading_The_Players.jpg

Here's my depth chart of the current roster, including my prediction of my final 53. Assuming no major FA signings or trades, here's what I see.

IMO Parry is def gone with the draft of Glover Stewart. We didn't draft someone in the 4th round to let it go to the practice squad.

Of our 9 DLs, 2 are gone for sure making a total of 7. Amongst the 2 to be cut will likely be the following:

McGill - $0 dead cap

Parry - 110K dead cap

Woods - 250K dead cap

Hunt - 500K dead cap

At OLB, Maggitt will def be gone before Mingo is; he only has a $4000 dead cap (NOT A TYPO) while Mingo will stay simply because he was a former 1st rounder and we'll still hoping he pulls a Jerry Hughes after the latter went to Buffalo.

I believe Maggett has already been released for an injury settlement.

On 4/30/2017 at 4:47 PM, Coltfreak said:

Grover is probably practice squad at best.

That's not happening someone will grab him. We can't stash him on the PS and expect to keep him. 

IMO barring injury Hankins Anderson Langford Ridgeway and Stewart will make the 53 man. Then McGill Hunt Woods Parry Edwards Boyd Thomas and Sokilo are battling for 2 spots. 

I want to see what McGill does. It seemed like last year he made plays when given the opportunity. Hunt is interesting because of his size and kick blocking ability. Will he be better suited to 3-4? . Sokoli is an athletic freak. UDFA Jhaustin Thomas is one to watch. He's another explosive athlete. 

If I had to pick 2 now I would lean toward McGill and Woods. That being said I could see us keeping 8 add Hunt in that case. Thomas and Sokoli to the PS. It wouldn't shock me if Thomas not Hunt grabbed the extra spot 

Regarding Hunt, most propably have to see how he can produce in preseason, altough it does not show everything as we all know.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000385901/Margus-Hunt-s-dominant-preseason-Week-4

He have had some unfortunate history as Bengal also, first year set behind very solid starters (Dunlap, Johnson), second year got injured beginning of OTA-s and sat out most of the season, third year started almost well but got injured again and last season he started very well, but his production fell off as season went on.

Propably will be cut but firstly I personally want to see if 3-4 scheme fits him better than 4-3(Bengals), as I know then he played a lot of his snaps as DT also, taking this into conclusion, 3-4 should fit him very well. 

As mentioned before, his age is not everything, he has less wear an tear on his body than most of his teammates.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I have a feeling the NFL will suspend Parry at some point, making the decision for us.

Or there will be an injury to one of the guys on the bubble, again making the decision for us.

If there are no suspensions or injuries... I have no idea, depends on how they all perform in TC.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I would think Parry is also the man out however Ballard is not as concerned about character traits as Grigson was as long as the talent is there. Parry better play his keister off if he wants to stay here

Somehow I don't think a two year starter gets cut before a couple of others.

Parry may get a suspension but not more than a couple of games.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He WAS a 2-year starter.  On a really bad defense.  I don't think he would have started on any other team the past two years.  He shouldn't have even been a starter for us, but that's more of an indictment on Grigsons' defense-building.  I don't see him as a starter ever again.

Now that he is a backup, like he should be, a suspension weighs much more heavily when he's on the bubble with a handful of other guys that aren't looking at a suspension.

47 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

He WAS a 2-year starter.  On a really bad defense.  I don't think he would have started on any other team the past two years.  He shouldn't have even been a starter for us, but that's more of an indictment on Grigsons' defense-building.  I don't see him as a starter ever again.

Now that he is a backup, like he should be, a suspension weighs much more heavily when he's on the bubble with a handful of other guys that aren't looking at a suspension.

If you looked at the tape he wasn't an all star but he was not a bad player by no means.

The bad defense was more to do with poor linebacker play than anything else. At this point you nor anyone else knows he is a back up. That has yet to be determined.

I think Parry makes the roster over Hunt or even Woods.

As bad as he's looked at times, I don't think he's nearly as bad as some analysts and many of us have asserted. He played very good for much of his rookie year. Admittedly, he has a lot of ugly snaps, but he tackles ball carriers at an underrated rate.

Last season it seemed, to me, at least, that he was stuffing runs in every series for games on end...  He ended up with 47 tackles and 3 sacks. No player still on the roster had more sacks for the Colts last year...

I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I feel fine with Parry as the backup to Hankins and a rotational NT. The biggest knock on him, imo, is that he might miss time for disciplinary reasons... 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you looked at the tape he wasn't an all star but he was not a bad player by no means.

The bad defense was more to do with poor linebacker play than anything else. At this point you nor anyone else knows he is a back up. That has yet to be determined.

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think Parry makes the roster over Hunt or even Woods.

As bad as he's looked at times, I don't think he's nearly as bad as some analysts and many of us have asserted. He played very good for much of his rookie year. Admittedly, he has a lot of ugly snaps, but he tackles ball carriers at an underrated rate.

Last season it seemed, to me, at least, that he was stuffing runs in every series for games on end...  He ended up with 47 tackles and 3 sacks. No player still on the roster had more sacks for the Colts last year...

I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I feel fine with Parry as the backup to Hankins and a rotational NT. The biggest knock on him, imo, is that he might miss time for disciplinary reasons... 

I'm not saying Parry is a bad player, he did pretty good for a late-round pick.

But I see him as a rotational guy, not the starter.  If he is the starter over Hankins, I will eat my shoe.  :shake:

I see him as a role-player with a looming suspension.  Which is not good for him.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:16 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Agree Parry is better than most here think, plays hard make plays, shows up every week doesn't get hurt. IMO the thing that hurt Parry more than anything is he was over used, and tired by the end of guys.

On 4/30/2017 at 7:09 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Actually I'll agree with you there. As you said he's 31. Hunt will be 30 but he's a young 30. Got drafted in 2011 or 2012.

I think Parry and Langford go. Possibly McGill too.

He was drafted in '13 btw

Look, McGill is not being cut, Pagano seemed high on him during a recent presser.

Parry and Woods will battle it out for being the backup/rotational NT to Hankins. One of those goes. Woods always looked as an expendable backup NT addition to me but could of course impress. 

Don't know about Hunt, I don't have any gut feeling on that.