Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hold Private Workout With T.J. Clemmings

I have seen I believe 3 mocks with Clemmings coming to the Colts.  While I will stay DT if my guys are there, I would not hesitate to grab Clemmings.

I remember early mocks had us grabbing Andrus Peat, but his stock has risen.

I'd be real cool with Clemmings or Peat.  I'd prefer picking up Carl Davis, Goldman(maybe) or a pass rusher but I won't complain if we select Clemmings or Peat in the 1st.

Interesting. A private workout is usually an indicator that the Colts are really interested. Pagano had a private workout with Bjoern Werner in 2013, and I'm pretty sure the guy who would have been our 1st round pick in 2014 if not for Richardson had private workouts with us. I'm with the people saying go D-line in the 1st but I wouldn't be mad at Clemmings. Raw because of a lack of experience at the position, but he could start at RT as early as next season.

I was thinking the Colts may pull a tackle out of this draft, however I wasn't quite sure about the 1st round.

My doubt stemmed from the fact that we've got a potentially healthy Cherilus along with Reitz and Herramans

as guys who could fill in if Cherilus went down.  Then you couple that with Grigs not being too high on taking

rookie tackles to start immediately.  My feeling was that we would get a tackle, but it would be later on like say

the 4th or 5th rounds. However when you have good players like Clemmings and Peat available at #29 you might

want to reconsider that stance.  Again, if Grigs pulls the Trigger on either of those two I'm good with it.

Interesting. A private workout is usually an indicator that the Colts are really interested. Pagano had a private workout with Bjoern Werner in 2013, and I'm pretty sure the guy who would have been our 1st round pick in 2014 if not for Richardson had private workouts with us. I'm with the people saying go D-line in the 1st but I wouldn't be mad at Clemmings. Raw because of a lack of experience at the position, but he could start at RT as early as next season.

It's pretty interesting to me considering they already had front row seats to see his entire workout at the Combine.

To come back and hold an additional work out says some things to me.

I agree the draft is deep at DL no problem grabbing a OT in the first then hitting D hard

I will say this... We might have a better shot a landing a good D-lineman in round 2 than landing a good O-lineman there. And the guy I think nobody should sleep on is Henry Anderson. I just heard Josh Norris on NFL radio this morning saying he doesn't think it's impossible for Anderson to wind up being a better pro than Leonard Williams. Now that is a really bold claim but he's a great fit for our defense (pretty much a prototypical 3-4 DE), fills a need, put up really impressive measurables, and had a solid college career. I can't name 1 O-line prospect I feel as solid about that I think will be there in late round 2. If we've got equal grades on say Clemmings and the top D-lineman available at pick 29, that might be a tie breaker on picking the O-lineman.

I was thinking the Colts may pull a tackle out of this draft, however I wasn't quite sure about the 1st round.

My doubt stemmed from the fact that we've got a potentially healthy Cherilus along with Reitz and Herramans

as guys who could fill in if Cherilus went down.  Then you couple that with Grigs not being too high on taking

rookie tackles to start immediately.  My feeling was that we would get a tackle, but it would be later on like say

the 4th or 5th rounds. However when you have good players like Clemmings and Peat available at #29 you might

want to reconsider that stance.  Again, if Grigs pulls the Trigger on either of those two I'm good with it.

I was thinking the same as you early on about us drafting a RT in the mid rounds. Then I have been seeing the Colts eying these OTs in the first. It has me thinking that maybe Grigs knows something that we don't about Cherilus, and is concerned that he will not come back to form, or that he will not be fully healthy. If that is the case then taking a RT in the first should be strongly considered, and it also leaves Herremans and Reitz to fight for a starting spot at guard as we will have Cherilus's replacement from the draft.

If we needed a starting LT, I could see us using a late first-round pick to get one.  Since we only need a backup RT, I think this can wait a while.

???

Cherilus is a question mark and he probably won't be on the team next yr. The Colts definitly need a RT.