Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos React to Missed Field Goal

Fx Stryker

They're looking dumb for letting Moreno go just so Manning could be spoiled with another wide receiver in Sanders.

No running game

C.J.Anderson looked every bit like Moreno, if you watched that game today.

Hillman and Ball were not the answers, one was too slight and the other one was too slow. C.J.Anderson is the ideal combo of between the tackles runner with power that can also catch and pass protect, much the Moreno mold. I was happy for that guy, he was undrafted and it took 2 injuries to 2 RBs for the coaches to give him playing time and show what he has.

Sanders was signed to replace Decker...Moreno was let go because they drafted Ball. Anderson looks like he's going to be a better replacement, and runs really hard.

As for letting Prater go, it wasn't to save money or because they thought McManus was better...it's because he failed sobriety tests, including one from the Super Bowl... so he showed up drunk to the Super Bowl and was suspended and then let go.

Sanders was signed to replace Decker...Moreno was let go because they drafted Ball. Anderson looks like he's going to be a better replacement, and runs really hard.

As for letting Prater go, it wasn't to save money or because they thought McManus was better...it's because he failed sobriety tests, including one from the Super Bowl... so he showed up drunk to the Super Bowl and was suspended and then let go.

The Broncos evaluated McManus while Prater was suspended for the 1st 4 games of this year.  They released Prater on Oct. 3 of this year, the day before they played in week 5.  The actual sequence of events supports the possibility that they were trying to replace a veteran with a younger, cheaper player.  Not uncommon practice under the salary cap rules.

33 yards and he hit the post.

Had anyone noticed that he when he lines he pretty much just steps back. He does not take the typical 3 steps to the left for a right footed kicker. So he is hitting the ball straight on. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. But he seems to push a lot of kicks right. He did that in the Pats game as well.

He will cost them big time down the stretch.

Dude, CJ Anderson played well. 167 yards and a TD score. Running backs are dime a dozen.

Yep. With Denver it is more of a commitment to run than anything else. Gase called a nice game yesterday. He had a lot of different looks in the run game and kept Miami off balance. Denver was patient even being down 11 and that was a big key to their comeback win.

They're looking dumb for letting Moreno go just so Manning could be spoiled with another wide receiver in Sanders.

No running game

I believe their RB tore off for 165 yards or something like that.

Actually it's strange to me. . . it seems like often enough the more effective RB's are UDFA guys.  I'm really starting to question the ability of NFL scouts to scout out RB's.  You have highly drafted guys who can't seem to do very well and then you see plenty of guys in the later rounds of the draft and UDFA's who tear off for 150+ yards and dominate.  

With McManus it seems like the problem has gone from something physical to something mental. Once a kicker loses confidence he's like a pitcher or a goalie who's in a rough stretch. He really needs a big moment... it's not like the Broncos have had a lot of chances on dramatic, game-winning field goals, but he needs one. This could really haunt them, no doubt. 

Yep. With Denver it is more of a commitment to run than anything else. Gase called a nice game yesterday. He had a lot of different looks in the run game and kept Miami off balance. Denver was patient even being down 11 and that was a big key to their comeback win.

Exactly.

Yesterday their play calling reminded me of the Pats. Didn't throw all the time and maintained balance. This is playoff football.

I guess they had to only learn this after getting blown out a few times.

Exactly.

Yesterday their play calling reminded me of the Pats. Didn't throw all the time and maintained balance. This is playoff football.

I guess they had to only learn this after getting blown out a few times.

If they can get Manning to buy into the run that will be critical. He likes to throw and if the run gets shut down early then he is apt to pass, pass, pass. It was snowing yesterday. Weather will be a factor so the run game will be a must.

33 yards and he hit the post.

Had anyone noticed that he when he lines he pretty much just steps back. He does not take the typical 3 steps to the left for a right footed kicker. So he is hitting the ball straight on. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. But he seems to push a lot of kicks right. He did that in the Pats game as well.

He will cost them big time down the stretch.

Eh, it's not gonna matter down the stretch. The playoffs are going through your :flyingelvis: backyard and it's been awhile since you guys have only won there by 3 points or less so I don't 1 missed kick would really help lol

If they can get Manning to buy into the run that will be critical. He likes to throw and if the run gets shut down early then he is apt to pass, pass, pass. It was snowing yesterday. Weather will be a factor so the run game will be a must.

He should if he has a plan to win a championship. I am sure yesterday game will make him realize that. It was beautiful to watch how they ran and it also minimizes his errors for turnovers.

No running game

Moreno benefited from the cleaner running lanes due to the spread system Peyton operates in. They haven't really missed a beat without him, as two of his former backups have looked every bit as good as he did in that very same system this year

I believe their RB tore off for 165 yards or something like that.

Actually it's strange to me. . . it seems like often enough the more effective RB's are UDFA guys.  I'm really starting to question the ability of NFL scouts to scout out RB's.  You have highly drafted guys who can't seem to do very well and then you see plenty of guys in the later rounds of the draft and UDFA's who tear off for 150+ yards and dominate.  

RB is probably THE single dumbest position to invest high draft picks in (other than kickers and punters.) They're a dime a dozen, and the market even supports that notion. Ben Tate was the big running back free agent pick up heading into this year, and he got paid like a high end kicker (which also explains why the Browns had no issue cutting ties with him so early) Unless the player is a transcendent athlete like Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders, their success is, for the most part, completely dependent upon how good of an offensive line they have in front of them. As long as whoever it is that you have in your backfield has patience and vision, you can have a lot of success with that player. Measurables are pretty meaningless at that position, and maybe that's why so many teams whiff on the earlier picks at RB, because they're so caught up on how much that player can bench, or their 40 times  

No running game

So divorced from reality... Moreno carried the ball 31 times before going on IR. And Anderson was a monster yesterday, after both Hillman and Ball have had good games at times this year.

Not to mention that the Broncos had the cap space to keep Moreno, if they wanted. 

But just continue enjoying your fact-free version of things. 

I honestly don't mind Denver abandoning the run when it clearly isn't working. It's the best thing they can do at that point. Don't keep doing something that hurts you. Being tackled for a 2 yard loss or struggling to get back to the line of gain is a wasted down. Even if the passing attack is one dimensional because of it, it offers more upside than running in to a brick wall. In that case against teams that can get to Peyton and cover well, they're screwed either way. That's why Denver needs some semblance of run game to show up consistently - and fast.

That being said, Denver needs a run game if they're serious about a playoff run. Secondary needs to improve, and special teams need to get off the short bus. They don't need to be world beaters, just respectable and they'll have a solid team. Maybe the run game will show some consistency with Anderson.....we'll see. That's a lot more likely to be fixed than the secondary issues much less the entire special teams unit outside a decent punter.

No running game

lol ur kidding right? Sanders is a huge pickup and hillman and Andersonare wayyyyyyyyy better!

I have both of them and they rack me up fantasy points

RB is probably THE single dumbest position to invest high draft picks in (other than kickers and punters.) They're a dime a dozen, and the market even supports that notion. Ben Tate was the big running back free agent pick up heading into this year, and he got paid like a high end kicker (which also explains why the Browns had no issue cutting ties with him so early) Unless the player is a transcendent athlete like Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders, their success is, for the most part, completely dependent upon how good of an offensive line they have in front of them. As long as whoever it is that you have in your backfield has patience and vision, you can have a lot of success with that player. Measurables are pretty meaningless at that position, and maybe that's why so many teams whiff on the earlier picks at RB, because they're so caught up on how much that player can bench, or their 40 times  

I would say the biggest things you need to look for is the patience and the vision.  At least for a between the tackles runner.  A little extra athletic ability certainly doesn't hurt but I think it's too easy to get caught up in those things and forget the biggest thing is that the RB needs to be able to find the hole.

But I agree with you, I'm personally questioning if most RB's are even worth a 3rd round pick these days.  Seems like you can get late draft picks and UDFA's who are just as if not more productive. 

I would say the biggest things you need to look for is the patience and the vision. At least for a between the tackles runner. A little extra athletic ability certainly doesn't hurt but I think it's too easy to get caught up in those things and forget the biggest thing is that the RB needs to be able to find the hole.

But I agree with you, I'm personally questioning if most RB's are even worth a 3rd round pick these days. Seems like you can get late draft picks and UDFA's who are just as if not more productive.

Unless you have a sure fire AP or Lynch type back, I agree. Mid round is the way to go to build a committee