Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to see CJ on the Colts because I'm both and Iowa fan and a Colt fan I really don't think he'll last until the 5th. 

I've seen Mocks that have him going in the 3rd.  And I wouldn't want us to spend a 3rd rounder on a TE when we have Allen and Fleener.

You have to remember that Iowa is known for producing NFL linemen and Tight Ends.  So he'll  get plenty of looks.

But honestly if we brought him in to be a 3rd Tight End I would say that gives us a lot of flexibility to split Fleener out wide.  

And you are right CJ would be a huge asset in the redzone because of his height.  I think he's like 6'6" or something like that.  

You make a good point.  The money we would save by not going after Jones could go to another WR or a safety.  Starting to think that our best bet may be to keep Bethea, if he comes cheap enough.

I just think, in your scenario, Jones costs you Redding, and that seems illogical. After all, part of your pitch to Jones is "come play with Redding again." 

As for Bethea, based on his play this year, I don't want him at any cost. He's hurting the defense right now. He was okay against the Titans this time, but he's been picked on all year, he's given up a bunch of big catches, he can't play the ball... he's not playing well. If he improves as the year goes on, different story. I'd keep him on a small, one year deal. But if I had to choose right now, I'd rather start a rookie draft pick, and I would actually expect better play out of him than what Bethea has given us so far.

By the way, I like your offseason. Save for a few tweaks, I would co-sign this. I'm going to do one myself, and this has given me some good ideas. I might ask you to work the draft portion of it...

Guest TeamLoloJones

I just think, in your scenario, Jones costs you Redding, and that seems illogical. After all, part of your pitch to Jones is "come play with Redding again." 

As for Bethea, based on his play this year, I don't want him at any cost. He's hurting the defense right now. He was okay against the Titans this time, but he's been picked on all year, he's given up a bunch of big catches, he can't play the ball... he's not playing well. If he improves as the year goes on, different story. I'd keep him on a small, one year deal. But if I had to choose right now, I'd rather start a rookie draft pick, and I would actually expect better play out of him than what Bethea has given us so far.

By the way, I like your offseason. Save for a few tweaks, I would co-sign this. I'm going to do one myself, and this has given me some good ideas. I might ask you to work the draft portion of it...

On yours or mine?

Guest TeamLoloJones

On mine. I hate doing mock drafts.

haha...ok I figured that's what you meant.  Glad to help.  Thanks for the props, really appreciate the feedback...Thanks to everyone else bringing in ideas too.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I absolutely love the CHRIS BORLAND PICK! Both he and KENNY BELL (nebraska)  are the steals of this draft!

Yeah, Borland is an under the radar stud.  Doesn't get much love outside the Big Ten, which is why he is a potential steal.

Guest TeamLoloJones

a lot of work and nicely done,  we need another QB though,  Hasselbeck has said he is retiring after this year.   Figure we keep the young kid Luck for awhile yet/

Matt said he'd finish his contract and retire after the 2014 season.  I think the coaches still like Harnish, so we'll see if he improves enough to take to job.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

As much as I would like to see CJ on the Colts because I'm both and Iowa fan and a Colt fan I really don't think he'll last until the 5th. 

I've seen Mocks that have him going in the 3rd.  And I wouldn't want us to spend a 3rd rounder on a TE when we have Allen and Fleener.

You have to remember that Iowa is known for producing NFL linemen and Tight Ends.  So he'll  get plenty of looks.

But honestly if we brought him in to be a 3rd Tight End I would say that gives us a lot of flexibility to split Fleener out wide.  

And you are right CJ would be a huge asset in the redzone because of his height.  I think he's like 6'6" or something like that.  

I'm a Hawkeye fan so I've followed CJ extensively.  Part of my mock is based on the fact that he drops to the early 5th.  If he doesn't fall that far, I wouldn't draft him.  I just think there are too many TEs going in front of him, and I don't think any team would draft him to be their #1 TE.  If a guy like Dwayne Allen can fall to the early 3rd round after poor 40 time, I think its plausible for CJ to fall to the early 5th.  He's probably in the 4.85-4.9 range.  Most teams will see that number and pass on him.  He's a perfect fit for a power scheme, and only a few teams in the NFL even run that scheme anymore.

I'm a Hawkeye fan so I've followed CJ extensively.  Part of my mock is based on the fact that he drops to the early 5th.  If he doesn't fall that far, I wouldn't draft him.  I just think there are too many TEs going in front of him, and I don't think any team would draft him to be their #1 TE.  If a guy like Dwayne Allen can fall to the early 3rd round after poor 40 time, I think its plausible for CJ to fall to the early 5th.  He's probably in the 4.85-4.9 range.  Most teams will see that number and pass on him.  He's a perfect fit for a power scheme, and only a few teams in the NFL even run that scheme anymore.

Is there reason to believe CJ is slow though?  

With Dwayne Allen I think part of the problem had to do with the fact that the Colts where really the only team that needed a TE.

Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener where the first 2 TE's off the board in 2012.  And only 1 more TE came off the board in the 3rd round, Micheal Egnew to Miami.  

I think part of that had to do with needs.  I think Allen would have at least gone in the 2nd round if there where was more then 1 team with needs at TE.

I remember Allen was ticked off for a while because he was told by the advisory board that he was a 1st rounder.  

But I agree with you, if CJ falls to the 5th round we should get him and he would be good for the run game, good in the redzone and would give us flexibility to split Fleener out wide more.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

Is there reason to believe CJ is slow though?  

With Dwayne Allen I think part of the problem had to do with the fact that the Colts where really the only team that needed a TE.

Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener where the first 2 TE's off the board in 2012.  And only 1 more TE came off the board in the 3rd round, Micheal Egnew to Miami.  

I think part of that had to do with needs.  I think Allen would have at least gone in the 2nd round if there where was more then 1 team with needs at TE.

I remember Allen was ticked off for a while because he was told by the advisory board that he was a 1st rounder.  

But I agree with you, if CJ falls to the 5th round we should get him and he would be good for the run game, good in the redzone and would give us flexibility to split Fleener out wide more.  

CJ clocked a 4.85 40 in the spring.  From watching him he seems to play at about that speed.  He's not going to outrun many linebackers, but he is a decent route runner, and has excellent hands.  Along with being an exceptional blocker.  I tend to think teams in need of a tight end will go more towards the pure receivers early.  I'd rate CJ as the 5th best tight end in the draft.  Behind Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, and Arthur Lynch.

A big part of the reason Allen fell to the 3rd was because he ran a 4.89 40 at the combine.  I don't know that much about CJ, but if he is good I don't know if a slower 40 time (4.85-4.9) alone will drop him to the 5th.

There are more tight ends in this draft than 2012. And Allen had much more production and playmaking potential than Fiedorowicz. Some considered Allen to be the top TE in that draft. No one thinks that about Fiedorowicz this year. Just a different set of circumstances entirely.

I don't know if that means CJ Fiedorowicz drops to the 5th round. There's still a lot of time before anyone really knows, but I have seen him projected as low as the 4th round already. Him running a 4.9 probably wouldn't change anything. Everyone knows he's not a speed demon already.

There are more tight ends in this draft than 2012. And Allen had much more production and playmaking potential than Fiedorowicz. Some considered Allen to be the top TE in that draft. No one thinks that about Fiedorowicz this year. Just a different set of circumstances entirely.

I don't know if that means CJ Fiedorowicz drops to the 5th round. There's still a lot of time before anyone really knows, but I have seen him projected as low as the 4th round already. Him running a 4.9 probably wouldn't change anything. Everyone knows he's not a speed demon already.

Fair enough ... like I said I dont know too much about him.  Just didnt think that if his skillset was similar to Allen's a 40 time in the 4.85-4.9 range would automatically drop him to the 5th.

A big part of the reason Allen fell to the 3rd was because he ran a 4.89 40 at the combine.  I don't know that much about CJ, but if he is good I don't know if a slower 40 time (4.85-4.9) alone will drop him to the 5th.

Lolo Jones has a good description of him above, but the big thing to remember is that he's extremely tall. . . I think he's like 6'6" or 6'8" so he as a really long reach and can stanch the ball out of the air from above defenders.  A huge target in the redzone.  

Lolo's hoping he'll fall to us in the 5th and we'll get him as a 3rd TE.  A lot of mocks have him in the 3rd round though so it's hardly something we can count on. 

I think we could use CJF better than he was used in his 2 years as a starter at Iowa.  Greg Davis offense rarely used him like he should have.  He has decent straight line speed but about as much wiggle as you'd expect from a guy who is 6'7" 265lbs.  He needed to be running down the seam and matchups with LBs or DBs where he would have had a matchup advantage.  There were too many times where they'd simply have him run a couple of yards on an out route and be tackled right away.  If he is available in the 5th or later, than I'm fine with a pick on him to help with what we want to do on our offense.  I'm guessing he goes higher but we need to use what higher picks we have on our bigger needs.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I will have to make some updates to my mock after this weekend.  So far so good with Rogers, so my WR strategy will hold for now...But Darqueze Dennard punched his ticket as a first round pick with his absolutely dominant performance in the Big Ten title game.  

Taking suggestions on who our 2nd round pick should be....

I will have to make some updates to my mock after this weekend.  So far so good with Rogers, so my WR strategy will hold for now...But Darqueze Dennard punched his ticket as a first round pick with his absolutely dominant performance in the Big Ten title game.  

Bradley Roby if you still want to take a corner. I would also closely be watching Vic Beasley as an OLB from Clemson. The thing that makes projections somewhat difficult is that most of the Colts positions either have a young player starting or are developing someone at the position.

FA

Brian De La Plunte C

Matt Slauson OG 

Donte Whitner  SS 

Antonio Smith DE

Resign

Pat Mc Affee P

Vontae Davis CB

Sergio Brown ST /FS

Joe Reitz OG

Ahmad Bradshaw RB

Draft

2nd round  Bradley Roby CB

3rd round  Brandon Coleman WR

5th round Chris Borland ILB

6th DL depth

7th OLINE DEPTH

2014 roster

QB  Luck  Hasselbeck

HB  Richardson Bradshaw Rainey

FB Havili 

WR Wayne Hilton Brazil Rogers Coleman

TE Allen  Fleener  Doyle

OLINE  Costanzo Thomas de la plunte Slauson  cherilus

DL Redding Smith Chapmen  RJF

LB  Walden Werner Freeman Borland Mathis

CB  Davis Toler Roby butler gordy

FS Laron Landry  S Brown

SS  Donte Whitner  Delano howell

K/P returner   Chris Rainey

K   Vinateri

P Macfee

Where does Justin Hickman fit in? 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Where does Justin Hickman fit in? 

I'm not sure there is a place for Hickman.   Especially now if Adongo can develop and can keep his job come next year.  Hickman very well could be that last guy on the roster after cuts, but if no one gets injured (knock on wood) I don't see a place for him.

Perhaps we should consider a good guard in the 2nd round if one is available.

Right now if I had to decide on our 2nd round and 3rd round picks, presuming Da Rick continues to play well I would say a guard and a safety (With the signing of Mack that is)

I think we need a ball hawk/coverage safety to replace Bethea and guard who can team up with Mack and Brown to give us a strong push on the interior for a running game.

Perhaps we should consider a good guard in the 2nd round if one is available.

Right now if I had to decide on our 2nd round and 3rd round picks, presuming Da Rick continues to play well I would say a guard and a safety (With the signing of Mack that is)

I think we need a ball hawk/coverage safety to replace Bethea and guard who can team up with Mack and Brown to give us a strong push on the interior for a running game.

Mack and Byrd would be a kick butt offseason. kind of expensive, but at this point I think mack is a priority or a high caliber center, byrd is stretching it, but that would be pretty sweet. I am very happy with the game Lavon Brazill and DaRick Rogers had. Go Colts!

Mack and Byrd would be a kick butt offseason. kind of expensive, but at this point I think mack is a priority or a high caliber center, byrd is stretching it, but that would be pretty sweet. I am very happy with the game Lavon Brazill and DaRick Rogers had. Go Colts!

Yeah I don't think we should spend the money on Byrd.  We should IMO draft a FS who's better at coverage and let Bethea walk.

Other then Mack, we should try and pick up some improvements on our defense through FA.  

Although in the draft I'm not opposed to a CB or a DL if they are improvements over what we already have.  We could really use a star in our front 7 besides Mathis.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah I don't think we should spend the money on Byrd.  We should IMO draft a FS who's better at coverage and let Bethea walk.

Other then Mack, we should try and pick up some improvements on our defense through FA.  

Although in the draft I'm not opposed to a CB or a DL if they are improvements over what we already have.  We could really use a star in our front 7 besides Mathis.  

I'm not entirely against getting Byrd, because I do believe he's the best safety in the NFL. (besides Earl Thomas)  If Brazill could keep improving like he has been lately, I would take Maclin off my FA target list, and use a draft pick on a WR.  Then if I moved things around a little bit, I would be able to make Byrd financially possible.  Still a lot of money to invest in one player, but when you are arguably the best at your position (just like Mack) and at a position of dire need, it can be worth it.

I'm not entirely against getting Byrd, because I do believe he's the best safety in the NFL. (besides Earl Thomas)  If Brazill could keep improving like he has been lately, I would take Maclin off my FA target list, and use a draft pick on a WR.  Then if I moved things around a little bit, I would be able to make Byrd financially possible.  Still a lot of money to invest in one player, but when you are arguably the best at your position (just like Mack) and at a position of dire need, it can be worth it.

I'd personally rather get a star in the front 7 if we can.  Especially someone who's good at stopping the run.  Mathis may be a star up there but it's his abilities as a pass rusher that make him that.  We don't have anyone who's really good at stuffing the run.  

Don't have a huge problem with Byrd being on the team, my biggest concern is that he will cost us quite a bit of money that we could probably use elsewhere.  

But I am with you that we need at least one star on the interior of our O-line.  That's why I'm behind getting Mack.

2nd round I think we should go BPA between Guard, Coverage Safety, CB, WR, D-line or if an ILB we really believe in falls to us then him.  

Of course if we believe in Hugh Thorton, then we won't need the guard necessarily.  But the reviews I've heard on him are mixed.  I'm not dedicated enough to tape the games rewind them and watch what each player is doing, so for players at the non skill positions I typically have to rely on what I read.  (Although occasionally I can tell who gave up a sack/pressure)

As far as Brazil, I'm not going to read very deep into his good game.  Rodgers had the hype and came up big in just his 2nd game ever and first one with significant PT.  So I think he's got a good chance of being a long term starter.  Brazil has seen fairly significant time last year and this year and while he's had his moments where he's come up big, he's not been a consistently productive receiver.  

Honestly I've found myself wondering why Brazil hasn't been used more as a returner.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'd personally rather get a star in the front 7 if we can.  Especially someone who's good at stopping the run.  Mathis may be a star up there but it's his abilities as a pass rusher that make him that.  We don't have anyone who's really good at stuffing the run.  

Don't have a huge problem with Byrd being on the team, my biggest concern is that he will cost us quite a bit of money that we could probably use elsewhere.  

But I am with you that we need at least one star on the interior of our O-line.  That's why I'm behind getting Mack.

2nd round I think we should go BPA between Guard, Coverage Safety, CB, WR, D-line or if an ILB we really believe in falls to us then him.  

Of course if we believe in Hugh Thorton, then we won't need the guard necessarily.  But the reviews I've heard on him are mixed.  I'm not dedicated enough to tape the games rewind them and watch what each player is doing, so for players at the non skill positions I typically have to rely on what I read.  (Although occasionally I can tell who gave up a sack/pressure)

As far as Brazil, I'm not going to read very deep into his good game.  Rodgers had the hype and came up big in just his 2nd game ever and first one with significant PT.  So I think he's got a good chance of being a long term starter.  Brazil has seen fairly significant time last year and this year and while he's had his moments where he's come up big, he's not been a consistently productive receiver.  

Honestly I've found myself wondering why Brazil hasn't been used more as a returner.  

I'm behind Thornton.  He's physically as good as a right guard can be.  He's a rookie and has real lapses in the mental aspect of his game.  He will improve dramatically.  You can never ever ever judge an offensive lineman in his rookie year.

Brazill should be a returner, he's got the skills to be the best return man on the team besides Hilton, and we need T.Y to stay on offense.  If Brazill stays as the 4th WR next year after Wayne comes back, then I would want him on KR.  If Rogers and Brazill stay on their upward trends, then I would draft our 5th and 6th WRs in the draft.  Then with Rogers, Wayne, Hilton, Brazill, and a 5th/6th  guy...we would be set at WR.  (Again, IF Rogers proves to be our true #1 WR)

My original 2nd round pick (Dennard) is no longer an option.  I think he's going to end up in the top 20.  A few more players than I expected at this point have turned down going to the draft this year, so my draft looks a little unrealistic now...so I will have to redo it.  I'm set that Donald Butler will be a big FA target for us if San Diego let's him go (here's hoping).  I think I'm going to move things around enough to make Byrd a Colt, and then be more agressive in the draft. 

Still taking ideas for draft picks, if you have any...

I'm behind Thornton.  He's physically as good as a right guard can be.  He's a rookie and has real lapses in the mental aspect of his game.  He will improve dramatically.  You can never ever ever judge an offensive lineman in his rookie year.

Brazill should be a returner, he's got the skills to be the best return man on the team besides Hilton, and we need T.Y to stay on offense.  If Brazill stays as the 4th WR next year after Wayne comes back, then I would want him on KR.  If Rogers and Brazill stay on their upward trends, then I would draft our 5th and 6th WRs in the draft.  Then with Rogers, Wayne, Hilton, Brazill, and a 5th/6th  guy...we would be set at WR.  (Again, IF Rogers proves to be our true #1 WR)

My original 2nd round pick (Dennard) is no longer an option.  I think he's going to end up in the top 20.  A few more players than I expected at this point have turned down going to the draft this year, so my draft looks a little unrealistic now...so I will have to redo it.  I'm set that Donald Butler will be a big FA target for us if San Diego let's him go (here's hoping).  I think I'm going to move things around enough to make Byrd a Colt, and then be more agressive in the draft. 

Still taking ideas for draft picks, if you have any...

Is Butler any good? I really have no idea, I just saw PFF said he was having a very bad year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Is Butler any good? I really have no idea, I just saw PFF said he was having a very bad year.

He has all the physical attributes we need to play our 2nd ILB.  He's having a bad year, which is awesome because then SD might let him go, and he won't be expensive.  The Chargers have very little talent in front him.  He has to do too much up front without consistent play at NT,  and with only one good safety behind him (Weddle) he get's stretched thin on the back end.  ILBs in a 3-4 can look terrible when they don't have talent around them,  in the right situation a guy like Butler can thrive.  We may have barely more talent in our front seven than San Diego, but I feel he's a perfect fit for our D, and could be a steal in free agency because of his inconsistent play in his contract year.

Butler was one of the top run stopping ILBs in 2011 and 2012. I haven't seen the ratings this year, but he's definitely a solid option. Better than all our linebackers, particularly against the run.

He has all the physical attributes we need to play our 2nd ILB.  He's having a bad year, which is awesome because then SD might let him go, and he won't be expensive.  The Chargers have very little talent in front him.  He has to do too much up front without consistent play at NT,  and with only one good safety behind him (Weddle) he get's stretched thin on the back end.  ILBs in a 3-4 can look terrible when they don't have talent around them,  in the right situation a guy like Butler can thrive.  We may have barely more talent in our front seven than San Diego, but I feel he's a perfect fit for our D, and could be a steal in free agency because of his inconsistent play in his contract year.

Numbers wise hes been good considering he has played in 10 games

Guest TeamLoloJones

Numbers wise hes been good considering he has played in 10 games

Stats are misleading when it comes to ILB play.  Remember Angerer?

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we were to get Byrd I don't think we could get Mack and Asamoah too if we could then I say go for it but I'm not sure about the cap numbers

I will refuse to take Mack out of my mock until he's officially off the market.  I never put Asamoah in my mock, and I probably won't.  Byrd will fit into the cap scenario that Superman and I worked out if we make a few adjustments to it.  Mainly not signing Maclin, Cody, and Arthur Jones.