Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

Guest TeamLoloJones

Like I've said, I don't think Mack leaves the Browns. If he does, it will be for BIG money. 

Totally agree, but like most mocks, mine is based in somewhat grounded hope.  But still mostly hope.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to discuss it, then don't ask silly, mildly insulting questions. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be an nfl scout, but any one can get on the internet machine and find opinions on who is respected at the center position......something as simple as PFF.

Paying a free agent more than what their current team is willing to pay isn't necessarily a bad thing nor excessive. Teams are often at the mercy of the salary cap and cant match what a player is worth on the open market. And a long term contract in the NFL is 3 years, which still allows the Colts to develop someone like Holmes. All in all I find your view on free agency antiquated.

Sorry if I went about that offensively.  Seriously.  

What I was getting at is that I don't see much support for De La Puenta or Dietrich-Smith as long term options for us beyond the fact that they have played in effective offenses.  They might be a little farther along in their careers, but do they offer a differential talent level to suggest that Grigs would go get them at a premium vs. developing his guy along side other journeyman competitors?  As a physical talent, Holmes is probably better material.  I am not talent scout either, probably pay way less attention to individual performance analysis than you do.  I am speaking to what I think the team will do more than predicting how well it will actually work.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The infusion of talent was done last year.  Signing 2 starters to multi-year deals is a big deal and it's working.  Drafting two interior linemen the same year in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  Grigson is doing his job and staying the course is the next vital step in doing it.  Smart contracts given to good players.  Stay the course.  You've said so yourself in previous posts in this thread, but now you are back to the "we need to sign a star" for the O-line philosophy.  There aren't very many OG's in the hall of fame because their aren't very many stars.  Maybe 5 that have played in the last 25 years. There are only good players in good systems.  

I agree with you on our guards.  Which is why I'm mostly against going after a FA guard.  I'm more specifically referring to the Center position when talking about getting a star player.  And the "infusion of talent" never stops, you don't do it once and call it quits.  Especially when our interior line is the worst in the NFL.

I agree with you on our guards.  Which is why I'm mostly against going after a FA guard.  I'm more specifically referring to the Center position when talking about getting a star player.  And the "infusion of talent" never stops, you don't do it once and call it quits.  Especially when our interior line is the worst in the NFL.

Have you looked at the interior O-line struggles around the league?  I'll grant you that the number of snaps that McGlynn has toiled in futility at RG is baffling - must have been done for the purpose of building the character of men through adversity - but this is a constant battle around the league.  Assuming Satele is cut and McGlynn never plays another snap at guard, then the problem has largely been addressed by those two actions alone.

Back to the real problem.....the athleticism of interior DL and complexity of rush schemes.  There aren't very many OG's born that can block Geno Atkins or JJ Watt - they beat their man almost every time.  Add to that, schemes designed to create more space for unblockable athletes to run through (not orderly attacks like shooting British soldiers), and you have a recipe for interior blocking performance to look like swiss cheese to the average fan.....so we call for a change bring in a hired gun to stop all the madness.  

Pass rushers will continue to get paid a premium...because they make us fans call for new troops.  We've gotten some, and we are growing some.  It may work, or it may not, but you have to stay the course unless a clear cut solution emerges for the long term.  I don't think there is anything that clear cut on the open market for centers.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Have you looked at the interior O-line struggles around the league?  I'll grant you that the number of snaps that McGlynn has toiled in futility at RG is baffling - must have been done for the purpose of building the character of men through adversity - but this is a constant battle around the league.  Assuming Satele is cut and McGlynn never plays another snap at guard, then the problem has largely been addressed by those two actions alone.

Back to the real problem.....the athleticism of interior DL and complexity of rush schemes.  There aren't very many OG's born that can block Geno Atkins or JJ Watt - they beat their man almost every time.  Add to that, schemes designed to create more space for unblockable athletes to run through (not orderly attacks like shooting British soldiers), and you have a recipe for interior blocking performance to look like swiss cheese to the average fan.....so we call for a change bring in a hired gun to stop all the madness.  

Pass rushers will continue to get paid a premium...because they make us fans call for new troops.  We've gotten some, and we are growing some.  It may work, or it may not, but you have to stay the course unless a clear cut solution emerges for the long term.  I don't think there is anything that clear cut on the open market for centers.

If Mack gets out of Cleveland he's as clear cut as it gets.  He's a top 3 center in the entire NFL.  The problem with McGlynn is that he lacks anything resembling athleticism.  If anyone puts a move on him he's toast.  Satele is just a weak, weak player.  I'm kind of confused by your assement of Atkins, Watt, and defensive schemes.  Are you saying since even the best O-lineman get beat at times, we shouldn't even try to upgrade our line?

If Mack gets out of Cleveland he's as clear cut as it gets.  He's a top 3 center in the entire NFL.  The problem with McGlynn is that he lacks anything resembling athleticism.  If anyone puts a move on him he's toast.  Satele is just a weak, weak player.  I'm kind of confused by your assement of Atkins, Watt, and defensive schemes.  Are you saying since even the best O-lineman get beat at times, we shouldn't even try to upgrade our line?

Of course I want improvement, but I also want sustainability.  Mack may be a clear cut solution - take it if it happens at a price you are willing to pay - but we all know that is not practical option.  The options at center are less talented free agents, journeymen, and developing your own.  De La Puenta and Dietrich-Smith were both UDFA Psquad guys before someone rolled the dice on them.   As for the assessment of schemes and DL players, it goes to being realistic about what you can actually accomplish with upgrades.  For instance, if the Saints were getting the kind of interior line play that would make Colts fans happy, they would be undefeated instead of just good.  Interior pressure is about the only thing that can slow Brees down, and that is why they have a pro bowl caliber LG and RG along with a C that some think we should sign!  Those guards are truly studs, and they still get beat by great athletes and schemes.

What I was getting at is that I don't see much support for De La Puenta or Dietrich-Smith as long term options for us beyond the fact that they have played in effective offenses.  They might be a little farther along in their careers, but do they offer a differential talent level to suggest that Grigs would go get them at a premium vs. developing his guy along side other journeyman competitors?  As a physical talent, Holmes is probably better material.  I am not talent scout either, probably pay way less attention to individual performance analysis than you do.  I am speaking to what I think the team will do more than predicting how well it will actually work.

I don't think the fact that they play in an effective offense has anything to do with it. I'm not saying I would pay a premium for their services....I'm not sure I would go after a player like Mack even if he became available. Teams have to be smart about how they spend their money, and if De La Puente or Dietrich Smith can be brought in at a reasonable price I think it would be well worth it. If it's good enough for both of last years SB teams, it's good enough for the Colts.

I don't think the fact that they play in an effective offense has anything to do with it. I'm not saying I would pay a premium for their services....I'm not sure I would go after a player like Mack even if he became available. Teams have to be smart about how they spend their money, and if De La Puente or Dietrich Smith can be brought in at a reasonable price I think it would be well worth it. If it's good enough for both of last years SB teams, it's good enough for the Colts.

Sounds like we agree in core philosophy, just maybe not in expecation of how is will be applied by this regime in 2014. Good fun all in all.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Of course I want improvement, but I also want sustainability.  Mack may be a clear cut solution - take it if it happens at a price you are willing to pay - but we all know that is not practical option.  The options at center are less talented free agents, journeymen, and developing your own.  De La Puenta and Dietrich-Smith were both UDFA Psquad guys before someone rolled the dice on them.   As for the assessment of schemes and DL players, it goes to being realistic about what you can actually accomplish with upgrades.  For instance, if the Saints were getting the kind of interior line play that would make Colts fans happy, they would be undefeated instead of just good.  Interior pressure is about the only thing that can slow Brees down, and that is why they have a pro bowl caliber LG and RG along with a C that some think we should sign!  Those guards are truly studs, and they still get beat by great athletes and schemes.

The one thing I don't think you are taking into account is that we HAVE TO use most of our cap space.  That would difficult without at least one big signing this offseason, outside of our own re-signings.  And my point is if that money HAS to be spent, we should spend it on the o-line first.

The one thing I don't think you are taking into account is that we HAVE TO use most of our cap space.  That would difficult without at least one big signing this offseason, outside of our own re-signings.  And my point is if that money HAS to be spent, we should spend it on the o-line first.

Its a formula of 89% or something averaged over multiple years.  It won't be hard to spend, and they won't have to go looking for places to spend it.  I'm not against a big signing, but I have yet to hear a case for a big signing about a specific player for the Oline that will both be available and make sense.  

Its a formula of 89% or something averaged over multiple years.  It won't be hard to spend, and they won't have to go looking for places to spend it.  I'm not against a big signing, but I have yet to hear a case for a big signing about a specific player for the Oline that will both be available and make sense.  

Chad Rinehart or Willie Colone...Not huge signings but both would be upgrades over any Guard we have right now, one or the other would be a good signing

Guest TeamLoloJones

This is where we are going in separate directions.  You are being a realist, and I am being overly optimistic.  The whole premise of this thread is a "best case scenario" mock.  For example, IF Mack leaves Cleveland, and IF we can sign him with-out breaking the bank, then he would be a favorite target of mine.  I wish you would take that concept into consideration before critiquing. 

I think De LA Puenta is a legitimate option he has rated out good to very good for the last 3 seasons and the Saints really can't afford to fend off other teams the way Cleveland can with Mack.  The fact that even with all the trouble and injuries we have had at the center position Holmes hasn't even sniffed the field makes me wonder if he's not progressing like they had expected.

Dietrich-Smith doesn't have quite the resume of De LA Puenta, but he will also likely be much cheaper; and if Holmes really isn't progressing than we have to look at other alternatives.  We can still try to develop Holmes, but it's not like we have so much invested in him that we can't go another direction.

That is not in dispute.  Grigson proved he'd get the money spent, and he did it a little different than any of us would have projected.  I was surprised then and I'll probably be surprised again - but there is no reason to expect a top tier FA lineman signing of any sort, especially at G or T.  Both tackles are solid and healthy. D. Thomas returns as a projected starter at guard and Thornton the other.  You might draft a BPA lineman anytime or sign a journeyman back-up like Willie Colon...but there is no splash signing for that group.  Even if you are in the camp that is unconvinced about Thornton, what FA guard really projects as significantly more productive than Thornton in year 2 and year 3?  Develop the talent you believe in and have a back-up plan.  

The splash signings you speak of are much more likely at ILB, CB, S, or WR - anything is possible there.

So we are just going to assume:

1) Thomas returns 100% from his injury,

2) That Thomas is definitely a high caliber starter based on limited playing time with Pats and one game for us.

3) Hugh Thornton (given he has had a few flashes) is going to jump from his current poor/mediocre OL play to starting caliber.

All these things could and may well happen, but are you willing to end up in the same situation we are now due to wishful thinking.  Im Not.

There are several guards that will hit free agency who will almost certainly play at a higher level than Thornton in his 2nd year.  I think  Asamoah probably projects to be significantly more productive than Thornton for the next several years.  I say get him and bring him in and let them all battle in camp for the next year or 2 and let the best guards start and that also gives us good depth at guard.

2) That Thomas is definitely a high caliber starter based on limited playing time with Pats and one game for us.

3) Hugh Thornton (given he has had a few flashes) is going to jump from his current poor/mediocre OL play to starting caliber.

All these things could and may well happen, but are you willing to end up in the same situation we are now due to wishful thinking. Im Not.

There are several guards that will hit free agency who will almost certainly play at a higher level than Thornton in his 2nd year. I think Asamoah probably projects to be significantly more productive than Thornton for the next several years. I say get him and bring him in and let them all battle in camp for the next year or 2 and let the best guards start and that also gives us good depth at guard.

We disagree about TRich but I 100% agree with ya here

I don't wanna put Lucks health on the line in hopes that Thomas is healthy, Thorton gets a lot better, and Holmes develops cause if we're wrong our line will suck for another year

Chad Rinehart or Willie Colone...Not huge signings but both would be upgrades over any Guard we have right now, one or the other would be a good signing

Perfect signings.  Not upgrades over anything we have but outstanding back-up plans - that is exactly how you develop your line.  You may get the Colon that is better than our guards, but you don't know at this point - still a great guy to have on the roster.  Grigs may not agree, however, because he could have easily been on our roster this year - both could have.

This is where we are going in separate directions.  You are being a realist, and I am being overly optimistic.  The whole premise of this thread is a "best case scenario" mock.  For example, IF Mack leaves Cleveland, and IF we can sign him with-out breaking the bank, then he would be a favorite target of mine.  I wish you would take that concept into consideration before critiquing. 

Fair enough.  I respect the angle you are coming from that makes this topic fun.  It is a good reminder that we all enjoy the game in different ways.  It is why the NFL completely dominates all forms of sports entertainment in the USA - man, woman and child.

I think De LA Puenta is a legitimate option he has rated out good to very good for the last 3 seasons and the Saints really can't afford to fend off other teams the way Cleveland can with Mack.  The fact that even with all the trouble and injuries we have had at the center position Holmes hasn't even sniffed the field makes me wonder if he's not progressing like they had expected.

Dietrich-Smith doesn't have quite the resume of De LA Puenta, but he will also likely be much cheaper; and if Holmes really isn't progressing than we have to look at other alternatives.  We can still try to develop Holmes, but it's not like we have so much invested in him that we can't go another direction.

Your speculation is every bit as valid as mine....Holmes not playing could be meaningful and De La Puenta could be exactly what Grigson covets in a long term center that he is willing to sign and commit to.  I simply believe that Grigs will give Holmes a chance to earn the job and re-sign McGlynn to a vet minimum deal or bring in another journeyman center to compete.  Either opinion is valid if the assumptions are stated. When Holmes was drafted you can chart a course of thinking by Grigson that could be altered at any time.  I don't think anything has happened to alter the thinking, but it is completely valid if others think that recent data suggests it has.  Grigson is an opportunist  - see any trade you want to reference - so if De La Puenta is his guy, then he'll alter whatever course he is on to get him.  However, if your plan isn't to develop Holmes with journeyman competition next year, then you probably cut him a week or two ago when you started running short on bodies if you are that disappointed in him.  It is extremely difficult to keep linemen you don't believe in when you only get to keep 9 on your roster.

All these things could and may well happen, but are you willing to end up in the same situation we are now due to wishful thinking.  Im Not.

There are several guards that will hit free agency who will almost certainly play at a higher level than Thornton in his 2nd year.  I think  Asamoah probably projects to be significantly more productive than Thornton for the next several years.  I say get him and bring him in and let them all battle in camp for the next year or 2 and let the best guards start and that also gives us good depth at guard.

1 - yes.  Assuming Thomas will return is no different than assuming any healthy player currently on the roster or whom you might acquire will make it through next season healthy.  He didn't have an injury with an uncertain recovery.

2 - yes. It doesn't really matter what we think.  Grigson obviously thinks this is true.

3 - yes.  Expecting talented rookies that have competed well enough to help you win this year to make a jump to solid starter in year 2 and 3 is exactly how the NFL operates in the salary cap era.

Reasonable assumptions require a back-up plan and they will have one.

doubt Grigson will agree that Asamoah or other guards project as significantly more productive than Thornton for the next several years.  It is not an opinion rooted in fact - just anticipation of future behavior based on past behavior.  No more or less valid than your own very well supported opinions - and you probably have much more knowledge about individual player evaluations than I do.

Your speculation is every bit as valid as mine....Holmes not playing could be meaningful and De La Puenta could be exactly what Grigson covets in a long term center that he is willing to sign and commit to.  I simply believe that Grigs will give Holmes a chance to earn the job and re-sign McGlynn to a vet minimum deal or bring in another journeyman center to compete.  Either opinion is valid if the assumptions are stated. When Holmes was drafted you can chart a course of thinking by Grigson that could be altered at any time.  I don't think anything has happened to alter the thinking, but it is completely valid if others think that recent data suggests it has.  Grigson is an opportunist  - see any trade you want to reference - so if De La Puenta is his guy, then he'll alter whatever course he is on to get him.  However, if your plan isn't to develop Holmes with journeyman competition next year, then you probably cut him a week or two ago when you started running short on bodies if you are that disappointed in him.  It is extremely difficult to keep linemen you don't believe in when you only get to keep 9 on your roster.

You are probably right he gave McGlynn and Satele a pass when myself and probably many others would have dumped them.  I can easily see him give Thornton and Holmes the benefit of the doubt and going with them next year.  I will be very disappointed if he takes this "wishful thinking" our guys will step up path again and we end up in the same(or similar) boat that we are in now.  I am over this "eventually all the pieces will fall in place on the OL mindset".  I don't want Luck ending up with a bunch of Carr like problems because we keep jacking around with the line.  And we also need a top tier dominant OL to effectively run the system that the coaches seem determined to install. One way or the other we need a dominant OL next season ... if that means dropping the big money to bring in hired guns ... so be it.

Luck might have Roethlesberger problems someday, but he'll never have Carr trouble.  We're past that - he just isn't wired that way.  We also won't have a top tier dominant OL next year, it will take more time that that whether you buy it or build it. While mostly my comments are based on predictive behavior, I also happen to believe it is the path of highest probability to getting what we all want - a quality OL and sustainable success on both sides of the ball that leads to Superbowl caliber play.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You are probably right he gave McGlynn and Satele a pass when myself and probably many others would have dumped them.  I can easily see him give Thornton and Holmes the benefit of the doubt and going with them next year.  I will be very disappointed if he takes this "wishful thinking" our guys will step up path again and we end up in the same(or similar) boat that we are in now.  I am over this "eventually all the pieces will fall in place on the OL mindset".  I don't want Luck ending up with a bunch of Carr like problems because we keep jacking around with the line.  And we also need a top tier dominant OL to effectively run the system that the coaches seem determined to install. One way or the other we need a dominant OL next season ... if that means dropping the big money to bring in hired guns ... so be it.

Luck might have Roethlesberger problems someday, but he'll never have Carr trouble.  We're past that - he just isn't wired that way.  We also won't have a top tier dominant OL next year, it will take more time that that whether you buy it or build it. While mostly my comments are based on predictive behavior, I also happen to believe it is the path of highest probability to getting what we all want - a quality OL and sustainable success on both sides of the ball that leads to Superbowl caliber play.

Great job guys.  I've had my arguments with both of you recently, and I couldn't be happier that you guys added your great analysis to the thread.  Just wanted to give you both props.  Bravo.  Shout out to Superman too, who has been amazing in this mock attempt.

Guest TeamLoloJones

With our cap can we sign 3 big time players?

I guess that would depend a lot on the positions.  I think one is a given, two maybe, three might be stretching it, and leave too little for proper depth.

I guess that would depend a lot on the positions. I think one is a given, two maybe, three might be stretching it, and leave too little for proper depth.

If possible I'd go after Byrd/Ward to replace Bethea

De La Puente/Mack

And Asamoah/Saffold

De La Puente and Saffold may be cheaper options then Mack and Asamoah

Guest TeamLoloJones

If possible I'd go after Byrd/Ward to replace Bethea

De La Puente/Mack

And Asamoah/Saffold

De La Puente and Saffold may be cheaper options then Mack and Asamoah

I'm down with those moves.  Except isn't Saffold a tackle?

Guest TeamLoloJones

I thought he was a guard I may be wrong

I think he's a tackle, but he's been playing at guard recently.  Not sure if it's a permanent switch or not.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Saffold was the LT until they got Long in FA, then he moved to RT, and has been at RG since they played us.

I guess my question would be, is he better at guard or is he just playing there out of need.

I guess my question would be, is he better at guard or is he just playing there out of need.

From what I have heard and read he got injured and couldn't fully get his RT starting spot back and then their RG went down so Fisher plugged him in there and liked how he played ... so I don't know which one he is most suited for.

Would not mind Saffold at RG if our coaching staff drew up plays to take advantage of his quickness, He is strong but not a mauler, If we did traps, screens, Zone plays I see it a good idea but not really if we are going to continue to persist on pretending that we are a team that can maul our opponents, Also Saffold has not played a full 16 games since 2010 so there is that to think about

Great job guys.  I've had my arguments with both of you recently, and I couldn't be happier that you guys added your great analysis to the thread.  Just wanted to give you both props.  Bravo.  Shout out to Superman too, who has been amazing in this mock attempt.

Discussion about how a team is built is among the most enjoyable things in the world to me....I like your thread.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), business prevents joining your fine discussions very often of recent and for the foreseeable future...

Guest TeamLoloJones

Here's my (ideal) 2014 Colts' roster.  (based on my CURRENT evaluations of pro and college players from around the league and country.)  I will be updating this periodically.

UPDATE #2   

Adding Whalen to the roster.  Also Xavier Nixon, as he has shown some promise.  Because our WR Corps has improved with Whalen, Rogers, and Brazill all progressing nicely, I won't use a draft pick on a WR. Also, I've decided to try at least one mock update where we keep Donald Brown.

Blue are draft picks, Red are free agent acquisitions. Green are our own FA re-singings.

Feel free to critique, I'm open to suggestions. 

DHB, McGlynn, and Bethea are not resigned (among others), and Satele has been cut.

OFFENSE

QB-  Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB-  Trent Richardson, Vick Ballard, Donald Brown (UFA), De'Anthony Thomas (5th Rd pick-Oregon)

FB-  Stanley Havili

WR- Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Da'Rick Rogers, LaVon Brazill, Griff Whalen

TE-  Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle, Weslye Sauders

LT-   Anthony Castonzo, Joe Reitz (RFA)

LG-  Donald Thomas, Xavier Nixon 

C-    Alex Mack (UFA), Khaled Holmes

RG- Hugh Thornton

RT-  Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE

DE-  Cory Redding, Kony Ealy (2nd Rd pick-Missouri)

NT-  Josh Chapman, Beau Allen (7th Rd pick-Wisconsin)

DT-  Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes

SLB-Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB- Jerrell Freeman, Josh McNary, Mario Harvey

ILB- Donald Butler (UFA), Kelvin Sheppard 

RLB-Robert Mathis, Cam Johnson (ERFA), Daniel Adongo

RCB-Vontae Davis (UFA), E.J. Gaines (3rd Rd pick-Missouri)

LCB-Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy (RFA)

SS-  LaRon Landry,  Corey Lynch

FS-  Jairus Byrd (UFA), Delano Howell, Sergio Brown (UFA)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K-   Adam Vinatieri (UFA)

P-   Pat McAfee (UFA)

LS- Matt Overton

Notes on drafted and signed players.

(Resigned Players)

Donald Brown-Unrestricted FA-            Brown continues to produce at an impressive level.

I would like him to come back if he wasn't too expensive,

but I would not be surprised if he went elsewhere, 

especially if another team offers him a clear cut starting

job.

Joe Reitz-LT-Restricted FA-                 Sign Reitz to a low round tender.  He's a valuable backup,

and is able to play both tackle and guard.

Cam Johnson-RLB-ERFA-                    Keep Johnson for depth, and continue to develop him.

Vontae Davis-CB-Unrestricted FA-       Too much invested in Davis to let him walk.  Hopefully his 

inconsistent play will help keep his price down a little.  But he

is still potentially a top flight CB and will be paid accordingly.

Josh Gordy-CB-Restricted FA-             Sign Gordy to a low tender, he has shown some positive

signs of improvement this season.

Sergio Brown-S-Unrestricted FA-         Sergio deserves to be resigned.  He has become a real bright 

spot on an otherwise mediocre at best special teams unit.

Adam Vinatieri-K-Unrestriced FA-         Adam stil has it, and I would expect him to have it for 2 more

years.  

Pat McAfee-P-Unrestricted FA-            McAfee has not been as good this year as he has been, but I 

would still like to see him stay a Colt.

(Singed Free Agents)

Alex Mack-C-Unrestricted FA-               Pro Bowl Center in his prime.  He will probably end up being

the highest paid center in the NFL wherever he lands, and

he'd be worth every penny.

Donald Butler-ILB-Unrestricted FA-      Young and underrated linebacker.  Comes from a 3-4 in San

Diego and would be the perfect compliment to Freeman in the 

middle of the defense.

Jairus Byrd-S-Unrestricted FA-             In my opinion Jairus Byrd is one of the best (if not the best) safeties

in the NFL.  He will also be paid as such.  This would definitely a 

risky splash signing, and one I doubt Grigson will actually go for,

but I'm not sure that this would be a bad idea, given the upside.

(Draft Picks)

Kony Ealy-DE-Missouri-2nd round-    A well rounded DE as both a pass rusher and a run stopper

with exceptional athleticism for such a large man.  Would be 

a good rotational player on the D-line until he's ready to take

over the starting job when Redding leaves. (retires)

E.J. Gaines-CB-Missouri-3rd round-   A great open field tackler, with above average cover skills.  

Gaines put in an amazing performance against Texas A&M.

He held Mike Evans to 8 yards on 4 receptions.  Gaines would

be an absolute force on special teams until he worked his way

into the starting lineup.  He is a bit undersized but makes up 

it with a long frame, and superior overall athleticism.   

De'Anthony Thomas-RB-Oregon-5th-  Thomas, once thought of as a first round pick, should fall to 

the 4-5 round range.  As questions about his durability, and 

ability as an NFL style RB (mainly due to his size) have surfaced.

He would still be a dynamic KR/PR and scat back (ala Dexter

McCluster) but teams would be wise not to use a high pick on him.

Beau Allen-NT-Wisconsin-7th Round-  Allen would make for a good value pick in the 6th round.  He 

would be a rotational player, with Chapman showing improvement

week after week.  

Keep the suggestions coming!

Don't see a reason to carry 4 TE's on the roster.  I'd drop Saunders off the roster and fill it in with another guard or tackle.  Maybe we trade a late round pick and get Jonathon Martin who could reasonably backup both the tackle spots and Xavier Nixon acts to backup both the guard spots.  

I don't know if I like the cap situation of trying to sign both Byrd and Mack in the same off season.  We can get better at safety without going for an all star player.  I wouldn't mind drafting a safety if a good one falls to us.  The CB you drafted in the 3rd round based on your description sounds like he could be moved to safety.

I'd actually rather use the money spent on Byrd on grabbing another CB that is more durable then Toler.  

I'm not sure we re-sign Brown.  He's recently improved his production and I think he'll get more money elsewhere.  He hasn't done anything special so as to make himself worth more then maybe 2 million a year.  Especially when we'll have Trent and Ballard on the roster.  I'd rather get a 3rd guy in the late rounds on a cheap contract. 

Thomas from what you write about him sounds fine to me.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

Don't see a reason to carry 4 TE's on the roster.  I'd drop Saunders off the roster and fill it in with another guard or tackle.  Maybe we trade a late round pick and get Jonathon Martin who could reasonably backup both the tackle spots and Xavier Nixon acts to backup both the guard spots.  

I would like to see us keep 4 TE's.  One will be a backup fullback, and I would prefer us using and extra TE in Pep's power sets vs. a 6th lineman.  Also I didn't resign Ricardo Matthews, and he is used in goal line and short yardage situations.  That role would now be filled by a TE.

I don't know if I like the cap situation of trying to sign both Byrd and Mack in the same off season.  We can get better at safety without going for an all star player.  I wouldn't mind drafting a safety if a good one falls to us.  The CB you drafted in the 3rd round based on your description sounds like he could be moved to safety.

Gaines has great open field tackling ability for a CB, but he's a CB through and through.  We would not want him playing safety.  I don't like any safeties in this draft class, so that's why I'm going with Byrd.  Center's don't make top $, so signing Mack and Byrd would be easier than you would think.

I'd actually rather use the money spent on Byrd on grabbing another CB that is more durable then Toler.  

I'd rather draft a CB, and hope that Toler stays healthy.  If not, we will have someone waiting in the wing to take his place.  There is a ton of CB talent, but not very much Safety talent in this draft.  That's why I go safety in FA and CB in the draft.

I'm not sure we re-sign Brown.  He's recently improved his production and I think he'll get more money elsewhere.  He hasn't done anything special so as to make himself worth more then maybe 2 million a year.  Especially when we'll have Trent and Ballard on the roster.  I'd rather get a 3rd guy in the late rounds on a cheap contract. 

I agree with you, but I wanted to try out one mock where I included Brown.

Thomas from what you write about him sounds fine to me.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

What are you paying Byrd?

Somewhere in the 5 year/ 50 million with 25 guaranteed neighborhood.  That's a lot, but he's going to try to get that from someone if he wants his highest paid safety title.