Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts Roster

Guest TeamLoloJones

I will refuse to take Mack out of my mock until he's officially off the market. I never put Asamoah in my mock, and I probably won't. Byrd will fit into the cap scenario that Superman and I worked out if we make a few adjustments to it. Mainly not signing Maclin, Cody, and Arthur Jones.

Mack better be #1 no matter wat IMO Asamoah is 2nd cause a line helps TRich and Luck it greatly improves our Offense

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mack better be #1 no matter wat IMO Asamoah is 2nd cause a line helps TRich and Luck it greatly improves our Offense

I'm not a fan of another guard in FA.  I have more faith in Thornton developing than most.  I think we should draft a guard to develop,  along with getting Thomas back, and keep Reitz as our swingman.   I think if we replace Satele with Mack, get Thomas back, and a year under Thornton's belt, our line will be dramatically improved.  You don't want to change too much on an o-line too fast.  As bad as it has been this year, a little continuity does go a very long way when developing an offensive line.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If we don't get Byrd are there any good S that would be in the 2nd round?

Honestly, I don't think so.  Outside of Clinton Dix, I don't think there are any top tier cover safeties at all in this draft.  Anyone before the 4th round in my opinion would be a reach.  One guy I would keep an eye on though is Kurtis Drummond from Michigan State.

I'm not a fan of another guard in FA. I have more faith in Thornton developing than most. I think we should draft a guard to develop, along with getting Thomas back, and keep Reitz as our swingman. I think if we replace Satele with Mack, get Thomas back, and a year under Thornton's belt, our line will be dramatically improved. You don't want to change too much on an o-line too fast. As bad as it has been this year, a little continuity does go a very long way when developing an offensive line.

True but can't forget Thomas has had to season ending injuries can't put licks health in jepordy he's already takin way too many hits then he ever should

Guest TeamLoloJones

True but can't forget Thomas has had to season ending injuries can't put licks health in jepordy he's already takin way too many hits then he ever should

I don't think we should put big money into another guard.  Maybe a mid-level free agent and a draft pick.  But I'm going with the idea of have Thomas and Thornton being the starters next year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

With our cap situation could we get 3 good players or are we stuck with just 2

When I update my mock, my 3 big name Free agents are going to be Mack, Byrd, and Donald Butler.  Still working out the kinks to get everything to fit.  Basically I'm replacing Maclin, Cody, and Arthur Jones with Byrd and then some lesser free agents to fill the roster.

I don't think we should put big money into another guard. Maybe a mid-level free agent and a draft pick. But I'm going with the idea of have Thomas and Thornton being the starters next year.

I'm not sure Asamoah will be a huge money player he could possibly be a mid level contract guy he's not really and all pro linemen so I'm think he won't be as expensive

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm not sure Asamoah will be a huge money player he could possibly be a mid level contract guy he's not really and all pro linemen so I'm think he won't be as expensive

If we went after a guard, Asamoah would be at the top of the list, but I'd rather get Mack, and then draft another guard.  

If we went after a guard, Asamoah would be at the top of the list, but I'd rather get Mack, and then draft another guard.

I love the idea of Byrd but I think many teams will want him and I don't want Grigs to overpay when we could grab 2 oline and have the chance at having a pretty good o line for once thorton might be good down the road but he needs a few years to learn behind vets

Guest TeamLoloJones

I love the idea of Byrd but I think many teams will want him and I don't want Grigs to overpay when we could grab 2 oline and have the chance at having a pretty good o line for once thorton might be good down the road but he needs a few years to learn behind vets

I agree with you.  But safety has become a glaring need these last few weeks, and we have a chance to lock down one of the best in the entire league.  Byrd would be expensive, but signing him wouldn't mean we couldn't get a center and/or guard.

I agree with you. But safety has become a glaring need these last few weeks, and we have a chance to lock down one of the best in the entire league. Byrd would be expensive, but signing him wouldn't mean we couldn't get a center and/or guard.

Hey if we could get Byrd and Mack and a good guard you won't hear one complaint from me haha I'm not an expert on the cap and draft so I'm just throwing around stuff you prolly know better then me IMO we have needs at S ILB CB C G and I'm just trying to find ways to fill them all prolly unlikely tho lol

When I update my mock, my 3 big name Free agents are going to be Mack, Byrd, and Donald Butler.  Still working out the kinks to get everything to fit.  Basically I'm replacing Maclin, Cody, and Arthur Jones with Byrd and then some lesser free agents to fill the roster.

That would be A really good off-season, a great off-season to be exact. Is it realistic?

Guest TeamLoloJones

That would be A really good off-season, a great off-season to be exact. Is it realistic?

It's all technically possible.  But knowing our GM, and his dislike for big-name free agents, it's unlikely.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey if we could get Byrd and Mack and a good guard you won't hear one complaint from me haha I'm not an expert on the cap and draft so I'm just throwing around stuff you prolly know better then me IMO we have needs at S ILB CB C G and I'm just trying to find ways to fill them all prolly unlikely tho lol

I would address S, ILB, and C in Free agency, and then WR, CB, G in the draft.  (This is how I plan on doing it in my next mock update.)

Guest TeamLoloJones

My hope was we could sign 3 big names like Byrd Mack and Asamoah then draft a CB in the 2nd then an ILB in the 3rd but its prolly unlikely a way to free up money IMO would be to cut Toler and Satele and let Bethea walk I think AV might retire

I think cutting Toler would be a mistake at this point.  I had us drafting Dennard in the 2nd, but his stock is way too high now to expect him to fall to the 2nd round.  So I will re-do that.  Cutting Satele I'm a huge advocate of.  My strategy when I started was absolutely dependent on Da'Rick Rogers becoming our #1 WR, stud, superstar, whatever you want to call him.  And I'm happy to report...so far, so good.

I think cutting Toler would be a mistake at this point. I had us drafting Dennard in the 2nd, but his stock is way too high now to expect him to fall to the 2nd round. So I will re-do that. Cutting Satele I'm a huge advocate of. My strategy when I started was absolutely dependent on Da'Rick Rogers becoming our #1 WR, stud, superstar, whatever you want to call him. And I'm happy to report...so far, so good.

Well I wouldn't cut toler till we have a replacement via the draft FA whatever he just has been injured too long and we can't pay him his salary to be a backup is the problem

I think cutting Toler would be a mistake at this point. I had us drafting Dennard in the 2nd, but his stock is way too high now to expect him to fall to the 2nd round. So I will re-do that. Cutting Satele I'm a huge advocate of. My strategy when I started was absolutely dependent on Da'Rick Rogers becoming our #1 WR, stud, superstar, whatever you want to call him. And I'm happy to report...so far, so good.

Wat kind of contracts do you see players like Mack Asamoah and Byrd getting? I'm never real good at guessing the contracts

I think cutting Toler would be a mistake at this point.  I had us drafting Dennard in the 2nd, but his stock is way too high now to expect him to fall to the 2nd round.  So I will re-do that.  Cutting Satele I'm a huge advocate of.  My strategy when I started was absolutely dependent on Da'Rick Rogers becoming our #1 WR, stud, superstar, whatever you want to call him.  And I'm happy to report...so far, so good.

Do you do a lot of Off-seasons mocks? I love reading those kind of threads, always interesting to see what people think and say

Guest TeamLoloJones

Wat kind of contracts do you see players like Mack Asamoah and Byrd getting? I'm never real good at guessing the contracts

Asamoah something like 4 years/$19 million.  Bryd has said he needs to be the highest paid safety in the NFL.  So he would have to get about 5 years/$55 million.  Look at Superman and I discussing other contracts earlier in the thread for Mack.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Do you do a lot of Off-seasons mocks? I love reading those kind of threads, always interesting to see what people think and say

I'm going to keep updating this mock every two weeks or so until draft day.  So go ahead and favorite this thread if you want to follow along and add your thoughts.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Here's my (ideal) 2014 Colts' roster.  (based on my CURRENT evaluations of pro and college players from around the league and country.)  I will be updating this periodically.

UPDATE #1   

Since both WRs Rogers and Brazill have been showing real promise,  I'm going to drop Jeremy Maclin from my free agency acquisitions.  Also my first choice our 2nd round pick, Darqueze Dennard, showed he is a first round talent on a national stage in the Big Ten title game, so I have adjusted accordingly.  Also, quite of few players have decided to return to their respective schools, so that changes the overall landscape of the draft slightly.  Also in this draft, I have gone straight forward with no trades.

Blue are draft picks, Red are free agent acquisitions. Green are our own FA re-singings.

Feel free to critique, I'm open to suggestions. 

The money to sign everyone in this mock would be tight (maybe impossible) but keep in mind: Brown, DHB, McGlynn, and Bethea are not resigned (among others), and Satele has been cut.

OFFENSE

QB-  Andrew Luck, Matt Hasselbeck

HB-  Trent Richardson, Vick Ballard, Tyler Gaffney (7th Rd-pick-Stanford)

FB-  Stanley Havili

WR- Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, Da' Rick Rogers,

LaVon Brazill, Jarvis Landry (2nd Rd pick-LSU)Philly Brown (UDFA-Ohio St.)

TE-  Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Jack Doyle, Weslye Sauders

LT-   Anthony Castonzo, Joe Reitz (RFA)

LG-  Donald Thomas, Chris Watt (5th Rd pick-Notre Dame)

C-    Alex Mack (UFA), Khaled Holmes

RG- Hugh Thornton

RT-  Gosder Cherilus

DEFENSE

DE-  Cory Redding, Ben Gardner (UDFA-Stanford)

NT-  Josh Chapman, Terrence Cody (UFA)

DT-  Ricky Jean Francois, Montori Hughes

SLB-Eric Walden, Bjoern Werner

ILB- Jerrell Freeman, Josh McNary, Mario Harvey

ILB- Donald Butler (UFA), Kelvin Sheppard 

RLB-Robert Mathis, Cam Johnson (ERFA), Daniel Adongo

RCB-Vontae Davis (UFA), E.J. Gaines (3rd Rd pick-Missouri)

LCB-Greg Toler, Darius Butler, Josh Gordy (RFA)

SS-  LaRon Landry,  Corey Lynch

FS-  Jairus Byrd (UFA), Delano Howell, Sergio Brown (UFA)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K-   Adam Vinatieri (UFA)

P-   Pat McAfee (UFA)

LS- Matt Overton

Notes on drafted and signed players.

(Resigned Players)

Joe Reitz-LT-Restricted FA-                 Sign Reitz to an offer sheet with a low round tender.  He's  

a valuable backup, is able to play both tackle and guard.

Cam Johnson-RLB-ERFA-                    Keep Johnson for depth, and continue to develop him.

Vontae Davis-CB-Unrestricted FA-       Too much invested in Davis to let him walk.  Hopefully his 

inconsistent play will help keep his price down a little.  But he

is still a top flight CB and will be paid accordingly.

Josh Gordy-CB-Restricted FA-             Sign Gordy to an offer sheet for a low tender, but hopefully        

we find a better 5th corner in preseason. 

Sergio Brown-S-Unrestricted FA-         Brown deserves to be resigned.  He has become a real bright 

spot on an otherwise mediocre at best special teams unit.

Adam Vinatieri-K-Unrestriced FA-         Adam stil has it, and I would expect him to have it for 2 more

years.  

Pat McAfee-P-Unrestricted FA-            McAfee has not been as good this year as he has been, but I 

would still like to see him stay a Colt.

(Singed Free Agents)

Alex Mack-C-Unrestricted FA-               Pro Bowl Center in his prime.  He will probably end up being

the highest paid center in the NFL wherever he lands, and

he'd be worth every penny.

Terrence Cody-NT-Unrestricted FA-     Another former Pagano player.  Also a former teammate of 

Josh Chapman at Alabama.  We would have a good rotation 

with these two guys, keeping them fresh all game long.

Donald Butler-ILB-Unrestricted FA-      Young and underrated linebacker.  Comes from a 3-4 in San

Diego and would be the perfect compliment to Freeman in the 

middle of the defense.

Jairus Byrd-S-Unrestricted FA-             In my opinion Jairus Byrd is one of the best (if not the best) safeties

in the NFL.  He will also be paid as such.  This would definitely a 

risky splash signing, and one I doubt Grigson will actually go for,

but I'm not sure that this would be a bad idea, given the upside.

(Draft Picks)

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU- 2nd round-     If we are looking for a player to be the Reggie Wayne heir

apparent, Landry is a good place to start.  From a size, and 

skill set standpoint, he's as close to Reggie as any player in 

this draft class.  He should be there in the late second with a

tremendous amount of WR talent in front of him.

E.J. Gaines-CB-Missouri-3rd round-   A great open field tackler, with above average cover skills.  

Gaines put in an amazing performance against Texas A&M.

He held Mike Evans to 8 yards on 4 receptions.  Gaines would

be an absolute force on special teams until he worked his way

into the starting lineup.  He is a bit undersized but makes up 

it with a long frame, and superior overall athleticism.   

Chris Watt-OG-Notre Dame-5th round-Another o-line project for Grigson.  Far from a top prospect,

but enough talent to develop into a quality depth player.  His

strength is pass protection, not run blocking.  He has good 

athleticism for a guard, and is a good fit on the left side.

Tyler Gaffney-RB-Stanford-7th round- Familiar with Pep and the power scheme, and played with  

Luck  in 2011.  Good downhill, no nonsense runner.  Perfect      

scheme fit, but without overwhelming talent, he should be               

there to pick up late in the draft.

Ben Gardner-DE-Stanford-UDFA-        Gardner will need to pack on the pounds to be a fit at 3-4 DE  

in the NFL.  If he does, he could be a viable depth player.  He

has been injured this year, and that is a major reason his stock

is down,  but he can be a very solid player.

Philly Brown-WR-Ohio State-UDFA-     Philly Brown offers minimal to be excited about as far as being

an NFL wide receiver, but he could be a very good special teams

player.  Both as a returner and a gunner.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Guest TeamLoloJones

About your mock, what kind of contracts are you thinking of with Cody and Byrd? I'm assuming you're keeping the same contracts for Mack and Butler...

Byrd would have to be expensive...if he gets his "highest paid safety in the NFL" contract, he would need at minimum 5 yrs/$50 million.  So I would expect if there was any bidding war, it may come down to the team that offers slightly more than that, or whoever offers the most guaranteed.  Cody I think would go for a 3 yr/$17 million.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Re-sign Frankiln. Franklin for basically vet min > Cody for $17MM

I think Cody has plenty of talent, he has just been underperforming.  He had hip surgery in the offseason and has been used more in a rotation the last 2 seasons.  I don't think I want Franklin back, even at the minimum.

Byrd would have to be expensive...if he gets his "highest paid safety in the NFL" contract, he would need at minimum 5 yrs/$50 million.  So I would expect if there was any bidding war, it may come down to the team that offers slightly more than that, or whoever offers the most guaranteed.  Cody I think would go for a 3 yr/$17 million.

I wouldn't give Cody that kind of money. The guy has hardly seen the field since he has been in the NFL.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I wouldn't give Cody that kind of money. The guy has hardly seen the field since he has been in the NFL.

He was the full time starter in 2011, and was benched in 2012 after a hip injury.

I think Cody has plenty of talent, he has just been underperforming.  He had hip surgery in the offseason and has been used more in a rotation the last 2 seasons.  I don't think I want Franklin back, even at the minimum.

You could draft a guy like Beau Allen in the 5th round.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You could draft a guy like Beau Allen in the 5th round.

That's something to think of for my next mock update.  I went with a guard for my 5th round pick.

I'm not a fan of another guard in FA.  I have more faith in Thornton developing than most.  I think we should draft a guard to develop,  along with getting Thomas back, and keep Reitz as our swingman.   I think if we replace Satele with Mack, get Thomas back, and a year under Thornton's belt, our line will be dramatically improved.  You don't want to change too much on an o-line too fast.  As bad as it has been this year, a little continuity does go a very long way when developing an offensive line.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to get another guard in FA ....  you are making the same mistake Grigson made this past off-season and hoping OL players make a jump. 

At this point Thornton & Thomas both are ????'s   Yes, Thornton is only a rookie and has shown some flashes, but his play overall has been below average ... what happens if he doesn't make the jump?  I am not ready to call him starting caliber yet.  Thomas looked good in very limited time we got to see him ... what if it turns out he is not starting material either because he never really was in the first place, or because he is not the same player after the injury? 

Wishful thinking when it came to McGlynn and Satele, and not getting a proven back up are a couple of the reasons our OL is in the pitiful shape that it is in currently.  Drafting an OLineman  and expecting him to potentially be the starter if Thornton or Thomas do not work out is not the answer either.  Let's not repeat the same mistakes we made last off season, I say we make 100% sure we have one of top OLs in the league; even if that means picking up an extra guard we may not need.  I would rather have him and not need him, than need him and not have him.

I think it would be a huge mistake not to get another guard in FA .... you are making the same mistake Grigson made this past off-season and hoping OL players make a jump.

At this point Thornton & Thomas both are ????'s Yes, Thornton is only a rookie and has shown some flashes, but his play overall has been below average ... what happens if he doesn't make the jump? I am not ready to call him starting caliber yet. Thomas looked good in very limited time we got to see him ... what if it turns out he is not starting material either because he never really was in the first place, or because he is not the same player after the injury?

Wishful thinking when it came to McGlynn and Satele, and not getting a proven back up are a couple of the reasons our OL is in the pitiful shape that it is in currently. Drafting an OLineman and expecting him to potentially be the starter if Thornton or Thomas do not work out is not the answer either. Let's not repeat the same mistakes we made last off season, I say we make 100% sure we have one of top OLs in the league; even if that means picking up an extra guard we may not need. I would rather have him and not need him, than need him and not have him.

I agree with the talent our QB has and the weapons we got we need a good O line our Offense could be fantastic with a better line

C and G are my # 1 and #2 priorities in FA if I'm Grigson

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think it would be a huge mistake not to get another guard in FA ....  you are making the same mistake Grigson made this past off-season and hoping OL players make a jump. 

At this point Thornton & Thomas both are ????'s   Yes, Thornton is only a rookie and has shown some flashes, but his play overall has been below average ... what happens if he doesn't make the jump?  I am not ready to call him starting caliber yet.  Thomas looked good in very limited time we got to see him ... what if it turns out he is not starting material either because he never really was in the first place, or because he is not the same player after the injury? 

Wishful thinking when it came to McGlynn and Satele, and not getting a proven back up are a couple of the reasons our OL is in the pitiful shape that it is in currently.  Drafting an OLineman  and expecting him to potentially be the starter if Thornton or Thomas do not work out is not the answer either.  Let's not repeat the same mistakes we made last off season, I say we make 100% sure we have one of top OLs in the league; even if that means picking up an extra guard we may not need.  I would rather have him and not need him, than need him and not have him.

I'm starting to lean more and more to this brand of thinking.  I did some extensive work looking at guards on the market, and in the draft last night, and I think I will update my next mock in a week or two to reflect this.  Thanks for the input.  It's greatly appreciated.  If you have any guards you are interested in let me know, or any other position for that matter.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree with the talent our QB has and the weapons we got we need a good O line our Offense could be fantastic with a better line

C and G are my # 1 and #2 priorities in FA if I'm Grigson

I'm starting to agree with people that say a guard should be a free agent target, and not just a draft pick.  Keep me posted on players you like for when I update my mock in a week or two.

I'm starting to agree with people that say a guard should be a free agent target, and not just a draft pick.  Keep me posted on players you like for when I update my mock in a week or two.

If we're looking at backup guards you probably want to look for a guy who can also backup the tackle position or at the very least the center position.