Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you record games from DVR to DVD?

Ohio Colt

Can anyone help me with this? And no it's only prohibited if I sell it which I won't. I'm only doing it so I can re-watch our games in later years.

What is the easiest way todo it and what equipment do I need?

The easiest way to do it is to get a DVD player/recorder.  They're pretty cheap, and it's as simple as selecting your source and hitting record, just like the old VCRs. 

Your DVD will hold about 2 hours of video so you'll have to pause the recording during TOs and commercials.  My DVD recorder is not BluRay (I don't even know how much those costs, or the cost of the blank BluRay disks) so when I record a high def game it's standard def on the DVD.  When you get the Sunday Ticket, they give you the entire game, every play, in a half hour.  I have a bunch of those.

If you're talking about recording the game on your computer, there are ways to do it but the easiest would involve a tuner card.

My recommendation is to get an AV card for your computer, and record them there. It will be much easier to edit out the blank time and save them to a hard drive. You could even set up your computer as a media center and watch the games on your TV right from the computer. If you are not real tech savvy ask some of your friends, i'm sure someone could help you out.

Can anyone help me with this? And no it's only prohibited if I sell it which I won't. I'm only doing it so I can re-watch our games in later years.

A rare item called a DVD recorder but it will only be standard def. it's not expensive, it's just kind of hard to find. They might have Bluray versions now.

The old DVD recorders had a built in hard drive which enabled you to record, then edit on the hard drive before dubbing to disk. Unfortunately, the rise of the DVR led tothe fall of the Hard Disk Drive DVDV recorders. You can still find them on EBAY. They are not cheap (from $300-$750.00), and will probably need some initial servicing as well. Ive had mine for over 15 years and it still works great. (Panasonic really created the product)PM me if you'd like more info. I use it for games, horse races, movies and editing VHS to DVD.

As an alternative

You could also spring for $24.99 and buy the season highlights of each game on ITUNES and download it to your IPHONE or IPAD. You get the post game press conferences as well.

My suggestion is get NFL Game Rewind. After NFL Red Zone, Rewind is the second best invention made for sports. For about $70, you can get all the games of the nfl season (your team and all the other teams) from the current season to back in 2009 (includes the playoff games). During the season, the game is made available to Rewind one day after the game has been completed. For the current season, there is two extra modes u can watch the game through: condensed, which is about 30 mins and only shows the plays right at the snap; and coaches film which shows the game from a different perspective. You get access for Rewind for a whole year too.

It's the easiest way to watch past nfl games imo, hope this helps.

Well this topic ended up being really depressing.

I thought that I would be able to pop in with an easy recommendation for my Panasonic DVD recorder. Fantastic unit which I've used to record tons of games, movies, etc. Far and away the easiest tool for the task - if you have a DVR you can edit as you burn. I wouldn't call it cheap (almost $300 5-6 years ago) but well worth it. Probably my favorite tech purchase ever.

Unfortunately this thread has led me to realize that they stopped making them, which led to my spending 1/2 an hour on the phone with Panasonic trying to get some guidelines about how long they will continue to support a unit that I now have to look at a little differently - such as perhaps invoking primitive chanting and gesturing for luck before each use. :sigh:

I'm guessing that blue-ray contributed to it's untimely demise, and they weren't able to tell me of any plans to produce a new version. Oddly the category heading "dvd recorder" remains on their website.

In any case, there are other brands out there, and I guess if I needed a new one I'd research them - as you might consider doing. The concept is still valid. 

I had every Colt game last season on the TV DVR?  record ?  whatever.

I have since erased all but the GB game.    And that was a HUGE ERROR.    I cannot find any of the other games anywhere.

If anyone has them PM, I may be interested in buying a few of them.        Detroit, Houston, Miami...  and a few others.

I have the 06 SB playoff run on DVD if any wish to have it .         

Ya it sucks...

It's like cell phone charger cords...    Why can't they be universal to the manufacturer? 

easy.. they need more money.

Well this topic ended up being really depressing.

I thought that I would be able to pop in with an easy recommendation for my Panasonic DVD recorder. Fantastic unit which I've used to record tons of games, movies, etc. Far and away the easiest tool for the task - if you have a DVR you can edit as you burn. I wouldn't call it cheap (almost $300 5-6 years ago) but well worth it. Probably my favorite tech purchase ever.

Unfortunately this thread has led me to realize that they stopped making them, which led to my spending 1/2 an hour on the phone with Panasonic trying to get some guidelines about how long they will continue to support a unit that I now have to look at a little differently - such as perhaps invoking primitive chanting and gesturing for luck before each use. :sigh:

I'm guessing that blue-ray contributed to it's untimely demise, and they weren't able to tell me of any plans to produce a new version. Oddly the category heading "dvd recorder" remains on their website.

In any case, there are other brands out there, and I guess if I needed a new one I'd research them - as you might consider doing. The concept is still valid. 

This is a bummer. This is not going to be easy. I have ZERO CLUE how to do this using my cpu (and then how to burn them onto a disk) but it seems there is no easy way.

I just want to record all of our games for like the next 10 years.... I love going back and watching old games for no specific reason or just to have them. My wife deleted all my colts games off the DVR unit (which Is understandable) and I'm not letting this happen again!

This is a bummer. This is not going to be easy. I have ZERO CLUE how to do this using my cpu (and then how to burn them onto a disk) but it seems there is no easy way.

I just want to record all of our games for like the next 10 years.... I love going back and watching old games for no specific reason or just to have them. My wife deleted all my colts games off the DVR unit (which Is understandable) and I'm not letting this happen again!

I'm not sure why you say "no easy way". I tried to make it clear (as did others) that using a DVD recorder is extremely easy - same idea as an old VHS machine. How much easier were you expecting it to be?

It's just that unlike with tv's, dvd players, etc, there aren't going to be 500 different versions by 25 manufacturers. There might be 8 versions by 3 manufacturers, and a lot of places may not carry them. I'd just search online at Best Buy, PC RIchards, or whatever retailers serve your area - and when you find some examples search on the relevant manufacturers website to get a better idea of the full scope of what they offer. Pick the one you want and then search to find it at the best price  - or if you find one locally and aren't picky, just drive on in and grab it.

I sent you a message. Let me know if you got it.

The easiest way to do it is to get a DVD player/recorder.  They're pretty cheap, and it's as simple as selecting your source and hitting record, just like the old VCRs. 

Your DVD will hold about 2 hours of video so you'll have to pause the recording during TOs and commercials.  My DVD recorder is not BluRay (I don't even know how much those costs, or the cost of the blank BluRay disks) so when I record a high def game it's standard def on the DVD.  When you get the Sunday Ticket, they give you the entire game, every play, in a half hour.  I have a bunch of those.

If you're talking about recording the game on your computer, there are ways to do it but the easiest would involve a tuner card.

I need to contact my satellite company about this & see what they tell me. I have films on my unit that I wanted transferred onto a disk. I wonder if DVR units don't just come with a flash drive input location spot. I would suspect yes.  You just buy a flash drive, insert it into the DVR unit, plug the flash drive into your computer, insert a black CD into your computer, & burn or record the disc. Once completed, it should play the disc in a regular DVD player like a movie on your TV.  

Once I get confirmation of this process, I will spread the news accordingly. I promise. 

Ya it sucks...

It's like cell phone charger cords...    Why can't they be universal to the manufacturer? 

easy.. they need more money.

Precisely John Dee. You nailed it! There's no money is standardization which lowers or brings the price down for consumers. Instead, companies love to make people buy software upgrade gizmos to make a fast buck.

Corporate bloodsuckers...Sigh...Darn, I hate them all. These companies force you to buy additional crap just to perform the most simplistic function. Grrr!  :rawr:

I need to contact my satellite company about this & see what they tell me. I have films on my unit that I wanted transferred onto a disk. I wonder if DVR units don't just come with a flash drive input location spot. I would suspect yes.  You just buy a flash drive, insert it into the DVR unit, plug the flash drive into your computer, insert a black CD into your computer, & burn or record the disc. Once completed, it should play the disc in a regular DVD player like a movie on your TV.  

Once I get confirmation of this process, I will spread the news accordingly. I promise. 

Directv and Tivo boxes (and I would bet the rest) are essentially Unix computers. There are things all over the internet about how to "hack" them (and it you are skilled at Unix and have a Unix PC you might have options not available to most of us), but I don't remember reading about a factory option as simple as what you describe. I think that some come with ports allowing you to add an additional hard drive to expand or extend your recording capabilities, and in fact you can attach that drive to your pc (or even remove the internal drive from your DVR and install that in your pc) but what I don't know is whether the data will then be accessible to your windows or apple OS. I know that you can test the drive to make sure it functions, or reformat the drive to be usable in your computer, but I suspect that you can't just copy the data since it's indexed under a foreign operating system. Could be wrong of course.

EVERY cell I have ever bought...  I have to BUY a BRAND NEW CHARGER, AND CAR CHARGER.

Think about all that money...    It is a racket and the sheeple keep doing what they do...

BUYING>      It would only take one good boycott  against the ......     who ever..  ;)

I better hush...       THE MAN HAS EYES...

Precisely John Dee. You nailed it! There's no money is standardization which lowers or brings the price down for consumers. Instead, companies love to make people buy software upgrade gizmos to make a fast buck.

Corporate bloodsuckers...Sigh...Darn, I hate them all. These companies force you to buy additional crap just to perform the most simplistic function. Grrr!  :rawr:

If you really can't figure out any other way, you could always do it the old fashioned way and put a video camera in front of the TV. 

Not the best looking option, but super easy. 

A good idea Lollygager except for 1 thing: I very strict about a HD picture & crystal clear sound. The musician inside of me deplores less than perfect sound. Mounted cameras held in place record the picture okay, but broadcast voices seldom transfer well in my experience. Yes, SW1 is very strict & rigid about the transfer of excellent picture & sound in my preservation & usage of digital media. I always have been & I always will be. 

I appreciate the recommendation though. Thank you. 

Directv and Tivo boxes (and I would bet the rest) are essentially Unix computers. There are things all over the internet about how to "hack" them (and it you are skilled at Unix and have a Unix PC you might have options not available to most of us), but I don't remember reading about a factory option as simple as what you describe. I think that some come with ports allowing you to add an additional hard drive to expand or extend your recording capabilities, and in fact you can attach that drive to your pc (or even remove the internal drive from your DVR and install that in your pc) but what I don't know is whether the data will then be accessible to your windows or apple OS. I know that you can test the drive to make sure it functions, or reformat the drive to be usable in your computer, but I suspect that you can't just copy the data since it's indexed under a foreign operating system. Could be wrong of course.

The one snag with my flash drive hypothesis is this: #1: I don't know if my DVR has a port for a flash drive & #2: How much memory a flash drive memory would be required to transfer a 2 hour movie? I use flash drives a lot for research purposes, but I have never attempted to transfer motion pictures on them though. I do have an auxiliary hard drive & an additional unit for more computer port locations if necessary since most computers only have 3-4 ports on the back of the machine.   

Yes, that is another concern Apple/iMAC OSX platform capability. PC software can't always read metadata or run it on a Mac computer either & that's what my computer is a 10.6.8 iMAC. 

Thanks for your feedback too MAC. I really do appreciate your thoughts on the matter.  :thmup:  I will keep you posted once I hear back from Direct TV.

EVERY cell I have ever bought...  I have to BUY a BRAND NEW CHARGER, AND CAR CHARGER.

Think about all that money...    It is a racket and the sheeple keep doing what they do...

BUYING>      It would only take one good boycott  against the ......     who ever..  ;)

I better hush...       THE MAN HAS EYES...

Doesn't that just make your blood boil John? All that money that you were forced into spending for products that almost become obsolete overnight. Mandating that you buy another charger and another charger with each new phone...What have you got to show for spending all that hard earned money you worked so hard to earn? Absolutely nothing.

These companies are like sanctioned pick pockets. You need your phone to work so you break down & buy the latest tool to keep your phone running until that phone has reached it's limit upgrade & then you buy that phone & all the attachments that come with it that only run on that specific phone. Oh happy joy! Steal more of my money...Sigh...

"The Man Has Eyes" Yes, the man does John. I detest the man & he knows it too, but he also knows I will spend the money because I have no other marketing choice either. Economic extortion can be very profitable for monopolies unfortunately. The demand is there & if it is high enough the man sets the price which sadly is not open to negotiation or compromise...So depressing actually...

The one snag with my flash drive hypothesis is this: #1: I don't know if my DVR has a port for a flash drive & #2: How much memory a flash drive memory would be required to transfer a 2 hour movie? I use flash drives a lot for research purposes, but I have never attempted to transfer motion pictures on them though. I do have an auxiliary hard drive & an additional unit for more computer port locations if necessary since most computers only have 3-4 ports on the back of the machine.   

Yes, that is another concern Apple/iMAC OSX platform capability. PC software can't always read metadata or run it on a Mac computer either & that's what my computer is a 10.6.8 iMAC. 

Thanks for your feedback too MAC. I really do appreciate your thoughts on the matter.  :thmup:  I will keep you posted once I hear back from Direct TV.

A two hour movie (standard def) is usually anywhere from 4-6 GB, unless you're talking about down converting it to any one of several formats (DivX, MP4, etc.).  I have a couple different Direct TV boxes and I don't think they'll accept a flash drive.  They're kind of picky about copyrights.

Good luck on your quest, and let us know if you come up with an easy solution.

Boy, did this take a turn from Colts talk!

reminds my of bootleg movie releases :)

Actually, that does bring up an excellent point regarding copyright infringement & original TV broadcasting rights SDS. In an attempt to curtail piracy, some DVR units will not allow a person to transfer movies onto a disc in HD picture & sound. The resolution of the individual pixels, the single dots that create a visual image, may appear darkened & distorted on playback once the transfer process from 1 medium to another has been concluded. 

I don't think that this picture distortion technology is already in operation with DVR hard drive chips regarding NFL games though. That I have no idea. 

A two hour movie (standard def) is usually anywhere from 4-6 GB, unless you're talking about down converting it to any one of several formats (DivX, MP4, etc.).  I have a couple different Direct TV boxes and I don't think they'll accept a flash drive.  They're kind of picky about copyrights.

Good luck on your quest, and let us know if you come up with an easy solution.

Boy, did this take a turn from Colts talk!

Thanks Smonroe for your info on movie storage requirements for flash drives etc. 

Not really Smonroe...The original topic was this: How do you record games from DVR to DVD? That doesn't dictate only focusing on Colts games alone. The subject matter itself revolves around the successful transfer of recorded media into another container that can be accessed & played back days, weeks, years, or decades later. The transfer of data could include anything: music concerts, hollywood studio films, documenting the evolution & sophistication of a specific hobby/past time...The list goes on & on...

reminds my of bootleg movie releases :)

One time I was handed a bootlegged copy of Silent Hill (where they go to theatre and just videotape it). It was kinda grainy, so it kind of worked for a horror movie. Then when the girl is going around this corner, the killer is right around waiting, and the music is all intense.....

The guy taping it lets a fart rip. 

Never laughed so hard in my life. 

One time I was handed a bootlegged copy of Silent Hill (where they go to theatre and just videotape it). It was kinda grainy, so it kind of worked for a horror movie. Then when the girl is going around this corner, the killer is right around waiting, and the music is all intense.....

The guy taping it lets a fart rip. 

Never laughed so hard in my life. 

:lol: Yeah Lollygager, a loud machine gun moment of flatulence does kinda ruin the suspense of the scene doesn't it? Comic relief comes in all shapes & sizes man.  lmao 

Here's how you do it, first off, you have to have a DVD recorder. second, you CANT use HDMI cables because direct tv stopped it.  You can use  the red , white and yellow cables however.  This is the key to being able to do it.  You wont get the best quality but if you have a 240 hz tv, it helps.  Plug cables from DVR into DVD and then DVD recorder into TV and go thru your tv inputs to find the recorder.  You need to be able to watch tv through the recorder.  Some of the new DVR's only have HDMI and that would be a problem.

You are not using the HDMI cables Ill bet

You can add a SATA hard drive with up to 2 Tera bytes.  I use one on one of my DTV DVR.   SATA is different than hard drives you by at best buy or Fry's.  You can order it through amazon

You are not using the HDMI cables Ill bet

Not from the DVR to the DVD-R, since it's not BluRay.

I just checked, the prices on the blank BluRay disks have come down. Not that I would advocate anyone copying any media without the express written consent of...

Here's how you do it, first off, you have to have a DVD recorder. second, you CANT use HDMI cables because direct tv stopped it.  You can use  the red , white and yellow cables however.  This is the key to being able to do it.  You wont get the best quality but if you have a 240 hz tv, it helps.  Plug cables from DVR into DVD and then DVD recorder into TV and go thru your tv inputs to find the recorder.  You need to be able to watch tv through the recorder.  Some of the new DVR's only have HDMI and that would be a problem.

Am I being asked to disarm a bomb here? Just Kidding! But, this procedure sounds way too complicated if you ask me. I have too cords & cables to contend with in my life already. Why would I want to add more into the mix? Thanks for the assistance though luvdacolts67.  :hat: This scene from the film "Lethal Weapon 3" popped into my head regarding the red, white, & blue cable remark. [1 minor swear word spoken here.]

Am I being asked to disarm a bomb here? Just Kidding! But, this procedure sounds way too complicated if you ask me. I have too cords & cables to contend with in my life already. Why would I want to add more into the mix? Thanks for the assistance though luvdacolts67.  :hat: This scene from the film "Lethal Weapon 3" popped into my head regarding the red, white, & blue cable remark. [1 minor swear word spoken here.]

Seriosly, It isnt very complicated.  only 2 ways to connect any device to DVR is through either HDMI cables(which alowwes best picture) or component cables.  either red, yellow and white or better cables which are blue , red and yellow.   You cannot use HDMI cables to record so hook up recorder with the other cables.

Seriosly, It isnt very complicated.  only 2 ways to connect any device to DVR is through either HDMI cables(which alowwes best picture) or component cables.  either red, yellow and white or better cables which are blue , red and yellow.   You cannot use HDMI cables to record so hook up recorder with the other cables.

That's how I do it.  DVR to DVD recorder. (Got it for pretty cheap years ago.) But it's a pain and takes for forever.

Here's a couple tutorials on how to go straight from DVR to computer: